Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Camp NaNoWriMo] again? If you insist...

• bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I'm falling behind. I'm putting in the time, I just think I'm a slow writer. I've got 8072 in the bank so far. Which means with this being the 7th day I'm a little under 4k shy. I'm going to do my best to catch up today. I also followed the advice of site and commissioned a friend to draw up a cover for me.

Lately while writing I've been using this combination on my second monitor to help keep me focused.

http://www.rainymood.com/ for rain sound (in the background)

image set to repeat for some light tune (in the background)
    and this
    image (set to full screen), so I get the fireplace crackle and Lil Bub to keep me calm. His occasional shocked glances keeping me to task.

Now it feels like I'm working out of a den, or some Private Eye's office.

Original idea came from an imgur dump about studying tips.

I have to slow down a lot to get concepts i'm unfamiliar with and check through sites for appropriate slang.

bebarce on
    Quothbigrickcook
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I've gotten pretty slow, myself. It means I have to be strict about getting up early to sprint, then doing it again at lunch and at night. Today has been a mess because my husband got called in to work out of the blue, so I'm on kid duty. But on the plus side, I made bread pudding!

bigrickcookbebarce
  • bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    How's everyone's progress? Week One is just about over, which means if you're writing the daily minimum for the month you should be at 11,669 words tonight.

I am once again not participating in NaNo, but I will cheerlead the shit out of you all.

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    bebarce
    I reached 10,955 tonight. (Where do I get those nifty signature counters?)

I'm really happy with my progress even though I'm below the minimum threshold.

I also made an outline for myself. 25 parts each at 2k words minimum. I just finished part 3 but am already at roughly 11k words. This means either I have more flexibility to shorten future parts, and that im not rushing plit to try to achieve a word count.

vamen
    @bebarce word count widgets are here: http://nanowrimo.org/widgets

You want the mini-graph one all the way at the bottom. I think the others are too tall for the forums.

bebarce
  • DoctorJestDoctorJest Grand Eedjit The Loony BinRegistered User regular
    The mini word-count one's actually in the middle -- the one way at the bottom's a percentage progress counter. But yeah, I side with the little counters too.

• KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, I've decided that I hate my story and everyone in it!

DoctorJest
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    KCWise wrote: »
    Oh hey, I've decided that I hate my story and everyone in it!

Wow, you're really ahead of schedule.

Most people only get there at the beginning of week three!

Quoth
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My story's world feels too generic fantasy. Time to break it to pieces.

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png

• AmarylAmaryl Registered User regular
    nano, is going great for me this year - i'm behind schedule by about 5000 words, but not as much as the last couple of years I succeeded in. Also i've dusted my bookcases, like really dusted them I went all up in there and got rid of every little happy thing that used to live in there. I've done all my laundry. I even ironed my T-shirts I'm an engineer I only iron dress-shirts I wear, like half a dozen times a year.

Quothtapeslinger
    My house is a horrifying wasteland of cat bunnies, which are like dust bunnies made of cat hair and not the much cuter cabbit you may be familiar with.

I am actually ahead of the curve for once in the ten years or so I've been doing this? I'm not that much ahead of par, 1K words or so, but I plan on expanding that buffer this Wednesday since it's a holiday. Fallout 4 will wait.

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
    Quothtapeslinger
    Minor victory dance! I'm now touching the line! Just hit 15k, which means I am now officially no longer behind schedule. Now I dare I say it, I might have the opportunity to even push into that strange new world of "ahead of schedule".

tapeslingerQuothDoctorJest
    Ahead of schedule is nice, until you suddenly realise "I'm actually not that far ahead of schedule any more", and you have to stop being lazy and kick your butt back into gear and do a proper day's writing. Which is just about where I am today, not least as a result of plot-block interfering with my storyline a bit. I got stuck at a fork -- not so much a "what happens next", so much as a surplus of riches, where I liked both possible directions and couldn't figure out which is the best one to go with. And either one excludes the other, so I can't just roll with both.

For now, I'm just ignoring it and writing a later scene that'll be happening regardless.

tapeslingerbebarce
    I keep finding that I'll write until I'm exhausted and then be like "just one more" and blow past the daily goal. Paranoia is my co-pilot, and anxiety is navigating.

tapeslingerKCWiseMadicanbebarce
    Huzzah for state holidays. Pulled out 5054 words today which gives me a nice boost towards the finish line. Almost halfway there!

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
    VanityPantsbigrickcookQuoth
    I spent some time yesterday brainstorming what happens next in the story -- I'd reached a middle stage, where I knew a lot of what was going to happen further down the line, but I didn't want to just break the whole story in two in case I couldn't find a bridge I liked. I think I've found one now, though, and also found the driving themes of the novel, which present a lot of floating scenes that I can write and find a home for later. The theme's also given me a new character, who I'll need to find a space for.

Quoth
    edited November 2015
    Finally hit 20k tonight which puts me back on the line. I wanted to try and push all the way to 25k, but I kept dozing off mid-sentence. I think i'm going to step away and play some games/watch a show or something. If I drift off further I'll just go to bed, but sometimes, the wave of sleepiness passes at which point i'm on til 2-3 am.

What I do know however, is that based on my timeline, and where Im actually at with this story, it's going to be far larger than 50k.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the goal isn't to "write a novel that is at least 50k within a month" is it? Or is "write at least 50k words of your novel within a month. Cause i'm definitely going to fall into the latter camp.

bebarce on
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Write the first 50k of your novel (or more) in November. And then write the rest. :)

Damn straight. My last novel was 110k. It happens.

I did that a couple of NaNos ago. 50K in nano. Write all the way to the end. Look at it. Say "pfah" (or some other suitable expression-cum-noise of your preference) and discard novel as poorly written and all done wrong. Begin again, do-de-doo....

That's about what I expect. I'm gonna finish the first draft, revise into the second, revise into the third, then set it aside because it's my first go and therefore horrible.

However, by finishing it and revising it, even though it likely stands no chance at publishing, I'll have learned far more about what to do next time. That's why I do NaNo, since it accelerates the process and leaves no time for me to try sticking the red pen into the mix before it's done.

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
  • bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Keep your dirty red pen outta that first draft.

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    If I let myself, I have all the time in the world to stick my dirty red pen into that first draft. It killed me one year when I edited down a 48k nearly-finished draft to 30k close to the finish line. But I actually think if I'd pursued that one, by that point, I'd have been just wasting my time -- I have a whole second novel project going that takes the same idea, but takes it in a better direction than I did the first time. I don't like to outline whole stories much, but I've learned that I do need to take spells in the middle of the writing process to actually clear my head and brainstorm what comes next. Sometimes, NaNo can encourage you to just jump forwards as soon as you can, and sometimes that's meant I went in totally the wrong direction. Again, though, it's all a learning process, and part of that is learning to leverage how I write to get something I'm glad I've written.

• KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    I really must say, I'm not nanoing gracefully at all this year... but Part II of Purveyor is done and posted. On to the next! This is going to be my toughest week yet!

tapeslinger
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    I always rocket through the plot way too fast, then have to go back and beef up scenes, add new ones.

@Cheeseliker -- this is the NYT Pulp Best-Seller approach, isn't it? Blast through the plot, then make a few notes about the extra stuff you want in there, give it to someone else to write the bits you couldn't be bothered with, and then move onto writing something else fun.

Had to prep for a podcast last night, on top of a slow friday cause I fell into an exhausted sleep, so now Im super far behind on my goals.

You can still make it! It's only an extra 300 words a day. That's just one or two sprints. Totally doable.

KCWiseDoctorJest
    My phone has mobile data again! I'm going to see if I can download a lightweight irc app tonight to join you guys again.

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
    Quoth
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    I am slowly catching up? But it's going to be rough. Thursdays are rough because I have work, then class til 9:45 at night. Also I will be at hunting camp over the weekend with no electronics. Then it's the holidays...It's alright though, my main concern is not writing 50k, it's just to keep writing all month.

edited November 2015
    New goal is 3K words a day, letting me finish NaNo Monday of next week so I can relax when I go home for Thanksgiving weekend. This is the furthest I have ever gotten with not just NaNo but any work and it's still kind of unreal with how day by day I piece things together more and more in a way while pushing back that internal editor.

I've already agreed with a friend/rival that we'll both complete NaNo and swap novels to read after editing.

Madican on
    camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
    Quoth
    My new required word count to make it in time is rought 2500 words a night. Considering my schedule, 2 jobs, sometimes not getting home from work till 1am, and when I am home im spending time with my daughters so cant really write till after 10.

It all boils down to the fact that I dont think Ill make it. But Im not sad or giving up. The amount Ive written so far in and of itself is something to be proud of.

Quoth
    I pushed hard the past two days to put about 7,000 words down, and finally creep into this thread. I'm still over 6k words behind, but I'm fighting hard to get back into this game. Considering it's technically only 3am today, I still have later tonight to try to catch up as much as possibly at my 9pm-12 shift of writing.

tapeslingerQuothbigrickcook
    You can do it! I've seen bigger come-from-behind victories. I believe in yooooooouuuuuu

bebarceKCWise
    You're still in the game bebarce, don't give up now!

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
    bebarce
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    You're still in the game bebarce, don't give up now!

Just remember the wise words of Alexander Hamilton.

"When you got skin in the game, you stay in the game.

But you don’t get a win unless you play in the game."

bebarce
    NaNoWriMo won. Now to revise everything and start over again because I have more than a few ideas I think will work much better in this novel.

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
    bigrickcooktapeslingerQuothKCWiseDoctorJest