As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cosmic Star Heroine E3 2016 trailer is live! (New Sci-Fi/Spy RPG from Zeboyd Games)

RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
edited June 2016 in Games and Technology
EDIT: You can check out the E3 2016 trailer here.

Note: We got special permission to start a thread for our kickstarter since we're long-time forum members & worked on Penny Arcade On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 & 4. And since Tube is awesome.

We just started a kickstarter for our upcoming RPG, Cosmic Star Heroine!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1596638143/cosmic-star-heroine-sci-fi-spy-rpg-for-pc-mac-ps4

CSH_screen9.png

Key facts:
Inspired by Chrono Trigger (visual style, no separate battle screen, multi-character combo abilities), Phantasy Star (futuristic setting & character design), and Suikoden (build your own spy base, political intrigue)
Our first non-parody game
Turn-based combat
Sega CD-inspired cutscenes
PC, Mac, PS4, and Vita

cosmic_star_heroine___cover_art_by_slash000-d6lp1el.png

Getting close to $10k and it's only been up a little over an hour so we're really pleased with how it's going. :)

RainbowDespair on

• Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    Saw the shout out in the Steam thread. Good luck good sirs. Everyone needs more Suikoden in their lives. Oh yeah and take my money, etc etc.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    This looks damn slick, guys. I've already backed it.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Holy crap that screen, so much detail and atmosphere.

PA bros seem like an excellent cause for my first kickstarter backing.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    Thanks guys, so excited about doing this game. So refreshing doing crazy scifi stuff! Although I did love making the locations and enemies for the crazy underhell locations in RS4 (especially the final dungeon). But man! Lasers and displays and gadgets and space junk, so many new things to do! Fun.

• Options
    OrestusOrestus Registered User regular
    Looks great, already backed :)

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It stuns me how expensive game development gets, and $100,000 is chump change.

Good luck, you two. Hopefully we can see this running at PAX East.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Looks cool, but no xbox release?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Chipped in my $20. Really looking forward to this game.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

We had to develop and commit to plans for this game, its engine, its scope, and its platforms well in advance. Back then, Microsoft was still telling everyone we needed to have a publisher, and was mum on whether there'd be anything like XBLIG. After we set our current plans in stone and began working on our game, MS finally started opening up and changing things. It was way late in the game when ID@xbox was announced, and even now there's not a ton of detailed info on that system. We'd like to know more, so we can see what we might be able to do in that regard down the line, but since info is slim we can only definitely commit to Steam (Windows, Mac), PS4, and Vita, since those companies have been very enthusiastic about reaching out to and working with us in depth. So we'll see :P

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Haven't played any Zeboyd games yet, but as someone who really loved SMRPG, Chrono Trigger, Paper Mario, etc, I really like the look of this.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Also, battles on the map 4eva.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    slash000 wrote: »

We had to develop and commit to plans for this game, its engine, its scope, and its platforms well in advance. Back then, Microsoft was still telling everyone we needed to have a publisher, and was mum on whether there'd be anything like XBLIG. After we set our current plans in stone and began working on our game, MS finally started opening up and changing things. It was way late in the game when ID@xbox was announced, and even now there's not a ton of detailed info on that system. We'd like to know more, so we can see what we might be able to do in that regard down the line, but since info is slim we can only definitely commit to Steam (Windows, Mac), PS4, and Vita, since those companies have been very enthusiastic about reaching out to and working with us in depth. So we'll see :P

Ah, okies. <3

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I hope you have stretch goals in mind. :)

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    I hope you have stretch goals in mind. :)

Heheh, what we're really wanting to do is make the game we're pitching, and make it well. If we are able to reach the funding goal and pass it (fingers crossed! :) ) We'd prefer to keep making the game we are promising and release it on time and spend additional funding on polish; and then after release use funding for potential free-DLC ideas. Basically don't want to let the project's scope get bloated and bog things down.

Ultimately just want to make this the biggest, best and most polished game we've ever done, seriously. Just need the time and budget.

• Options
    That's good to hear! I know you're working with a small team so stretch goals aren't exactly going to make development any easier on you. So I'm glad you guys aren't going to worry about it.

And you don't need to worry about it being funded. I can bet there will be a ton of people lined up to throw money at you.

• Options
    Yeah, I think that's a good idea.

You guys also got a plug from Kotaku to help you along too.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I have a lot of love for Breath of Death and and Cthulhu Saves The World. The battle system in those games are very interesting.

Glad to see you working on an original IP again.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    That's good to hear! I know you're working with a small team so stretch goals aren't exactly going to make development any easier on you. So I'm glad you guys aren't going to worry about it.

And you don't need to worry about it being funded. I can bet there will be a ton of people lined up to throw money at you.

Yeah the small team is just the two of us, plus working with Hyperduck (Chris and Dan) to do the music/audio. So yeah, expanding scope could potentially make things get out of hand. So we're gonna try and avoid that :P
    Yeah, I think that's a good idea.

You guys also got a plug from Kotaku to help you along too.

I saw that! Very exciting! :) Responses have been pretty good too
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I have a lot of love for Breath of Death and and Cthulhu Saves The World. The battle system in those games are very interesting.

Glad to see you working on an original IP again.

Thanks and yeah we're excited to work on some quirky new characters of our own too :)

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Super excited about this game, I got hyped when I saw the first announcements over at NeoGAF! Why the hell no one's tried to emulate the Phantasy Star aesthetic before now is just mind-blowing to me. This really does look great! And Crono Trigger and Suikoden influences are even better.

There was some talk of possible mini-games, maybe as stretch goals. Could we see some strategic space combat? Like a cross between Phantasy Star's vehicle sections and Suikoden's large scale battles?

Edit: Ah, just read the part about not over-promising with stretch goals. That's a noble (and honestly, unfortunately, novel) goal. Holding out for post-release DLC then!

MetalMagus on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, I'm really, really looking forward to this. As you both know, I loved Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death (especially BoD), and I'm a huge Phantasy Star nerd, so this is a dream project for me.

I have to say, though, I'm a little disappointed there isn't an option in the $125-$150 range to get both the posters and the T-Shirt.

Edit: Yeah, so, don't mind me. I'm just an idiot... Glad that it's an option!

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Looks awesome! Due to financial concerns atm I might not make it, though....

Will you guys have a paypal option for backing after Kickstarter?

• Options
    MetalMagus wrote: »
    Super excited about this game, I got hyped when I saw the first announcements over at NeoGAF! Why the hell no one's tried to emulate the Phantasy Star aesthetic before now is just mind-blowing to me. This really does look great! And Crono Trigger and Suikoden influences are even better.

There was some talk of possible mini-games, maybe as stretch goals. Could we see some strategic space combat? Like a cross between Phantasy Star's vehicle sections and Suikoden's large scale battles?

Yeah the Phanstar look is something based more on the general aeshetic and cutscenes rather than the maps/sprites. Obviously I'm getting ideas from Chrono trigger for that, although I do not expect to necessarily do it as well as CT, which is a classic and beautiful game. But I am learning and shooting for my best!

The phantasy star stuff will come through more in cutscenes though for sure.

We may or may not have those kind of bigger battles, that's something we're considering but it's not set in stone. The main thing is making sure the primary combat and gameplay systems are solid.

C2B wrote: »

We miiiiight add a paypal option at some point, we're just a bit wary of Paypal after hearing about the Yatagarasu (sp?) incident where they got a lot of funding and then Paypal wouldn't release the funds... yeah it was insane.

• Options
    Spread the word then C2B. If you can't back it then make sure you show it to your friends who would be interested. :)

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Did you guys know that this game has a robot with a mustache? I didn't know that until this morning, but it feels like something everybody should really take stock of.

C9Tt8.jpg

See?

I was sold as soon as I heard the announcement pitch, but what you showed of the game looks just as cool as I could have hoped. Funds have been transferred, good luck guys!

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    C2B wrote: »

We miiiiight add a paypal option at some point, we're just a bit wary of Paypal after hearing about the Yatagarasu (sp?) incident where they got a lot of funding and then Paypal wouldn't release the funds... yeah it was insane.

True. Eh, who needs food anyway?

C2B on
  • Options
    Did you guys know that this game has a robot with a mustache? I didn't know that until this morning, but it feels like something everybody should really take stock of.

C9Tt8.jpg

See?

I was sold as soon as I heard the announcement pitch, but what you showed of the game looks just as cool as I could have hoped. Funds have been transferred, good luck guys!

Yeah Clarke is the robot with the mustache. He's kind of a smooth talker. Little bit creepy too!

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Stretch Goal: "We will film ourselves hunting down and wedgie-ing everyone on the internet who ever said we just use RPG maker."

Looks great, guys.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Rooting for you guys so fucking hard, I've loved all of your games so far and I'll definitely buy multiple copies of this too.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Good luck! Backing this project is a no-brainer.
    Looking forward to having this song in my library.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    SemiHollowCarrotSemiHollowCarrot Registered User regular
    What if the kickstarter gets overfunded? We don't know about you, but we hate it when kickstarters get a lot more money than they expected, drastically increase the scope of the game, and end up pushing the release date back months or even years. What's worse, some of these kickstarters drastically underestimate how much all those new features are going to end up costing with the result that they end up running out of money before they manage to fulfill all of their promises.

We don't want this to happen to us!

Sold.

I have a terribly bad taste in my mouth from this very very thing happening. Thank you for recognizing this problem.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Is there an option to limit how much money you're willing to accept for your Kickstarter project?

Always wondered about that.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Why no WiiU development?

I've heard Nintendo has been wooing indies like nobodies business.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Is there an option to limit how much money you're willing to accept for your Kickstarter project?

Always wondered about that.

Not as far as I'm aware.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Z'xorv (far right) gives me a Zeriam vibe

b7290c583618f1905ddea9bed63c55c4_large.png?1378763594

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Is zombie rootbeer tapper RPG never going to happen or did I just completly make that up in my head?

• Options
    rockrnger wrote: »
    Is zombie rootbeer tapper RPG never going to happen or did I just completly make that up in my head?

I've got a zombie RPG design document that I've been tinkering with for years, but nothing rootbeer related. :)

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

I've got a zombie RPG design document that I've been tinkering with for years, but nothing rootbeer related. :)
    Was it lane based sort of like the old arcade game rootbeer tapper?

Also, any plans to move forward with that one, supposing I'm not crazy?

• Options
    edited October 2013

Was it lane based sort of like the old arcade game rootbeer tapper?

Also, any plans to move forward with that one, supposing I'm not crazy?

I definitely want to do the Zombie RPG at some point since I think we have a lot of fun ideas for it, but we're going to be busy with Cosmic Star Heroine for the next year. Maybe we'll make it our next project after that.

And no, it wasn't lane based.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Throwing money at this is the easiest choice I'll make all week.