As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Did somebody say yoga? GTA V. Join Fancy Fellows and play online.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I do prefer saints row overall humor though. Aside from the parts where that, too gets really shitty.

Like whored mode and anything to do with Zimos

also the dildo bat

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    pony did you like it when
    you beat the shit out of and humiliate Lazlow multiple times in the story

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    "They make fun of everybody!" is and always will be the lazy, cowardly excuse of spineless douchebags who want to be able to say and do offensive, egregious shit to victimized, marginalized people without consequence.

It's not a credits system. You don't get to earn a pass to be misogynistic or transphobic or racist or whatever by making fun of white male republicans. I'm not saying there are things that are forbidden to be joked about, but for god's sake if you are going to make a joke you know fucking well is offensive it ought to at least be funny instead of "lol married women are vacuous whores, m i rite fellas?"

And a lot of time, that's the joke in GTA V. The punchline is "women are whores", "liberals are pussies", "republicans are morons". That's the joke. The joke is an insult to a group. It's the laziest form of "comedy" possible and it's the least responsible when you just shotgun blast it at random.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Berk wrote: »
    was looking forward to getting this until i saw this (contains transphobia)
    http://badtransjokes.tumblr.com/post/62878576548/before-i-even-started-playing-the-new-gta-i-knew

Not that those lines aren't terrible, but GTA is an equal opportunity abuser to everyone's sensibilities. White people, black people, rich people, poor people, gay people, addicts, police, animal lovers, etc.

To point out that the morally degenerate characters in the game (who already hate everyone) make snide remarks about transexuals is a bit redundant.

the problem with "equal opportunity harassment" is that not all populations are equal in power, and even if the treatnment of trans folks is only as bad as the treatment of rich white cis men (which I don't believe to be true in this case), the effect is made that much worse because it's added to all the other bullshit trans folks need to deal with on a daily basis. Like, they have it hard enough already, why make it harder?

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    http://badtransjokes.tumblr.com/post/62878576548/before-i-even-started-playing-the-new-gta-i-knew

Not that those lines aren't terrible, but GTA is an equal opportunity abuser to everyone's sensibilities. White people, black people, rich people, poor people, gay people, addicts, police, animal lovers, etc.

To point out that the morally degenerate characters in the game (who already hate everyone) make snide remarks about transexuals is a bit redundant.

no

Please explain why.

Like I said, that humor really is terrible. It's not funny.

But it really just seems like more of the same over the top and juvenile stupidity that is all throughout the game. Why is this particular thing so much worse? I'm interested.

Or have I misread your "no"? Are you saying that all of the humor is terrible and the transphobic stuff is just another piece of garbage in the trash sandwich that is GTA's humor?

being an "equal opportunity abuser" does not make anything better

not that gta actually is an "equal opportunity abuser" because it is quite benevolent in its portrayal of cis people and this is its only portrayal of trans people

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Oh I wasn't doing a thing of defending that stuff, I'm genuinely asking because I got real irritated at all of it and relished the opportunity

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    pony did you like it when
    you beat the shit out of and humiliate Lazlow multiple times in the story

it wasn't as cathartic as it ought to be because i'm not a vengeful person by nature and it doesn't result in anything consequential

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Silmaril wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    I can't get past "Launching online session" for the first mission.

Fuck guess I'm going to have to DO things today.

Try starting it as a solo session to at least get past it.

Tried this but the missions wouldn't start.

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular

no

Please explain why.

Like I said, that humor really is terrible. It's not funny.

But it really just seems like more of the same over the top and juvenile stupidity that is all throughout the game. Why is this particular thing so much worse? I'm interested.

Or have I misread your "no"? Are you saying that all of the humor is terrible and the transphobic stuff is just another piece of garbage in the trash sandwich that is GTA's humor?

being an "equal opportunity abuser" does not make anything better

not that gta actually is an "equal opportunity abuser" because it is quite benevolent in its portrayal of cis people and this is its only portrayal of trans people

i dunno, portraying most of its characters (who are all cisgendered) as whoremongering, vicious, misogynistic assholes ain't exactly benovolent

but with the power dynamics between cis and trans so completely out of whack that's hardly relevant

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    like there are numerous radio ads that basically call all women (married women especially) vapid, self-absorbed, materialistic skanks who are basically to blame for everything men do wrong

there's no punchline

they just say it outright

that's the "joke"

• Options
    uh

UH

is everyone getting this cutscene when they die in gta online

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    it's like

great, you're shitting all over everybody, and you think that makes it fair

except some of the people being shit on kind of deserve it

and most of them are comfortable enough that they can take a bit of shit and it's not really going to hurt them in any meaningful way

but some of the people being shit on? They're being shit on by large portions of society already, so for them to be additionally shit on by something they turned to for entertainment, maybe a bit of escapism from a life in which being shat on is all too commonplace? That really sucks.

• Options
    uh

UH

is everyone getting this cutscene when they die in gta online

hahahah yeah

• Options
    in general, the trick to any kind of racist, sexist, or any other kind of hateful joke that you are trying to tell is to make it clear you're telling a joke and to make it actually funny.

the audience, in the end, should be A) laughing and B) not doubting whether or not you're actually a bigot

if you can't do A and B, then you should leave "edgy" comedy alone

GTA V can rarely do either, let alone both, and both is necessary.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I honestly didn't find the story even remotely funny when it "tried"

Huge parts of the game made me very uncomfortable at parts that it seemed like the majority of the target audience was supposed to laugh at.

It's not like they can't make a game with interesting characters with interesting relationships to eachother.

But even then they only ever have psychopathic mass murdering men waxing poetic about their morality or lack therof in between shooting sprees and radio jokes about "liberals and conservatives" and always always poking fun at victimized people on the radio stations and side missions.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    the funniest writing in the game is all character moments between Franklin and Lamar in the first ~2 hours

Chop don't get paid, Chop a intern

Scudo on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Scudo wrote: »
    the funniest writing in the game is all character moments between Franklin and Lamar in the first ~2 hours

I know its one of the cruder lines

But the hardest I think I laughed in the whole game is the end of Lamar's speech when he's busting down Franklin

The way he delivers 'Nword' is just so incredibly perfect

Edit: Didn't know we couldn't use it even in quote, sorry.

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The stupidest thing is those radio spots for "Rightuos Slaughter" poking fun at Call of Duty.

When at least call of duty is adding women soldiers and avoids taking a shit on minorities when they can.

Well, I guess call of duty does shit on anyone that isn't a part of NATO huh?

But still, the hypocrisy is staggering.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    To those who have finished the single-player: what sort of optional stuff is there? I would have no idea about this Epsilon thing with Michael if I hadn't read our last thread. Do Trevor and Frank have secret missions like Michael?

There is a fair amount of stuff to do, but to be honest, its pretty low key and/or short. The Epsilon missions are okay, but there is nothing like that for Trevor or Franklin.
    There are the four alien spacecraft to find and see, and the mystery of Mount Chiliad to be solved, but I've come up against a brick wall with that (like most people)

Wait a sec what's
    the mystery of Mt. Chiliad

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Scudo wrote: »

I know its one of the cruder lines

But the hardest I think I laughed in the whole game is the end of Lamar's speech when he's busting down Franklin

The way he delivers 'Nword' is just so incredibly perfect

that bit is fucking hilarious, his voice actor just nails it

Scudo on
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    @Scudo @Chincymcchilla

Video itself is fine but audio is NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIeqhNw1LXM

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    best weapon in deathmatch: fire truck

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Hey GG you should NSFW that. But yes, yes.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    also the beginning cutscene of online: did my character catfish Lamar on LifeInvader??

does he

does he want to fuck me

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    @Scudo @Chincymcchilla

Video itself is fine but audio is NSFW

Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful

This and the Employee of the Month stuff are close to my favorite parts of the game

• Options
    I forgot about employee of the month!

god, Lamar needs more screen time

• Options
    Pony wrote: »
    in general, the trick to any kind of racist, sexist, or any other kind of hateful joke that you are trying to tell is to make it clear you're telling a joke and to make it actually funny.

the audience, in the end, should be A) laughing and B) not doubting whether or not you're actually a bigot

if you can't do A and B, then you should leave "edgy" comedy alone

GTA V can rarely do either, let alone both, and both is necessary.

They key to A, or at least the best way to not be a bigot in comedy, is choosing the right target. Jokes about racism work best when you're targetting racists, not minorities. Hell, Louis C.K. has come the closest to anyone I've heard to making a good, or at least not-shit rape joke, and he does so by making sure he's mocking rapists, not their victims.

If Rockstar really wanted to tell a joke involving trans folk, they should have found a way to make transphobes the butt of the joke. I have serious doubts whether it's possible to tell a funny, not harmful joke on the subject at all at this time, and it's definitley beyond Rockstar's writing staff, but at least they'd have been punching in the right direction.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    The news story about crowdfunding kinda really bugged me.

A) it's not funny to insinuate everyone that uses crowdfunding websites is a lazy cheapskate who wants to cheat people out of their money, and B) I don't know if R* is really in the position to make that "joke" in good faith seeing as they had the biggest budget ever for making this game.

It's like a millionaire making fun of food banks.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    when jacking a vehicle you died in, you will pull your own body out...

deep, man

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    MikeLLMikeLL What it do NEPHEW? Registered User regular
    I decided to close GTA Online when it froze on a loading screen, when I tried again later my character had become an inhuman hairless monster wearing headphones.

I did think about keeping it for a moment.

• Options
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I want a Lamar And The Damned DLC.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Big dog, big nuts

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    I'm glad I'm past that part of the game though because man that language was starting to creep into my head a little bit and I was not cool with that

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    i love that lamar is self aware of his own competitiveness

like he doesn't really give a shit about being employee of the month, it's the principle of not winning and being first at something that galls him

• Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    To those who have finished the single-player: what sort of optional stuff is there? I would have no idea about this Epsilon thing with Michael if I hadn't read our last thread. Do Trevor and Frank have secret missions like Michael?

There is a fair amount of stuff to do, but to be honest, its pretty low key and/or short. The Epsilon missions are okay, but there is nothing like that for Trevor or Franklin.
    There are the four alien spacecraft to find and see, and the mystery of Mount Chiliad to be solved, but I've come up against a brick wall with that (like most people)

Wait a sec what's
    the mystery of Mt. Chiliad
    There's the mural inside the cable car station at the top of Mount Chiliad, and scratched into the back panel of the viewing platform is the message "Come back when your story is complete", and underneat the viewing platform is the symbol painted at the top of the mural.

There's a lot of speculation, that it leads to a jetpack as that is also pictured in the mural.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    While we're on the "stuff that makes me kind of uncomfortable in this game" train

the "kill yourself" option in GTA Online where you just shoot yourself in the head with a pistol kind of makes me uncomfortable

• Options
    Artreus wrote: »
    While we're on the "stuff that makes me kind of uncomfortable in this game" train

the "kill yourself" option in GTA Online where you just shoot yourself in the head with a pistol kind of makes me uncomfortable

Why is this an option
    like, what purpose does it serve

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I like the bad player penalties this game has

like someone kills an idler, the other players then get extra money for killing the bad sport

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png