As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Victor's Art Jammerang

TheVictor11TheVictor11 Burlington, OntarioRegistered User regular
It's like a boomerang...but made with jam, jammerang.

Hey guys, been itchin' to post here for a while now, finally got off my ass to. Just recently graduated from illustration and updating my portfolio while I look for work :D

Figured this would be a good place to kind of motivate myself and at the same time get some feedback on this funk. (I'm a little tired)

A lot of my work from school was based around toy design but I'm slowly branching out from that.

cowboysndinoscomic1_by_victorwong.jpg?format=750w

cowboyrextoy_by_victorwong.jpg?format=1000w

D&Dchar-2FINAL.jpg?format=1000w

jobhunting_by_victorwong.jpg?format=1000w

map01_by_victorwong.jpg?format=1500w

Currently working on a few projects on the side as well

Character sketches from my comic
tumblr_mu45zqwdDH1rcmyjeo1_1280.jpg

Also making my own Settlers of Catan board at the moment but nothing to show for it yet.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Loving it.

What sort of jobs are you trying to go for? The design-y stuff is actually pretty strong. I really love the toy though, and could totally see that selling.

The others are sort of stylized enough that its hard to pick out major flaws. If you do NatCo, that'll be a great way to push yourself a bit into a new direction, and thus also find the particular shortcomings that require your attention.

Anyway, Welcome! Keep posting work!

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Really nice stuff!

• Options
    Thanks guys, I was originally focusing strictly on getting into a design/illustration position working with toy companies but either they're not hiring or my stuff isn't strong enough to get a call back haha. Right now I'm kinda working up a portfolio for graphic design work, it's been slim pickings as I don't have very much real world experience. Hoping to nab something some where before my savings run out lol.

I was debating doing NatCo but I'm in a position where I'm torn between doing what I want vs what I need to apply to places. Once I get my characters flushed out I'll probably try to do a page a week. I have the story flushed out for the most part. :D

• Options
    I wouldn't focus on just toy companies, there's always children's books and casual games. I understand though. Remember to keep doing the work you actually want to do as well. You can do a bunch of graphic design and get some design work, but if its secondary to what you actually want to do, you'll get yourself stuck with a refined skill set in the field you loathe. I've also done my best to rework projects into things that I can tackle multiple problems for. I'll be designing a cover for my Natco comic, cleaning up the character concept work for my portfolio, redoing my website to accommodate the project... all of that. Even things you want to do can help you to future goals, don't be afraid to stay inspired and interesting.

• Options
    That's true, I do enjoy graphic design work and just the process of everything involved so it's not a loss of anything. My goal was to work with toys but I've found that narrowing myself to one specific area wasn't a good idea either haha. A lot of the things I want to do really doesn't fit the GD portfolio like my comic, general RP character illustrations but I do try to find things that I can use on both like the board game I'm designing with a friend, my website, learning to digital paint, and some other side projects.

Right now I think my major obstacle is just getting a steady income, had that, I would definitely shift my production to what I really want.

By the way, I really love your work! I feel like I've seen it before just browsing tumblr.

• Options
    buffylovebuffylove Registered User regular
    Love the character sketches.

New story -- DUMP SITE
    banner___book_with_title_close_up_resized_by_paul_a_newman-d6mcq5v.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Thanks!

No sketches tonight unfortunately.

On another note, I just finished Breaking Bad last weekend and wanted to get this image out of my head. Meth is bad but the blue stuff looks reallllly cool :0

Crystal_by_victorwong.jpg?format=500w

TheVictor11 on
  • Options
    Wanted to do a few quick pieces for my portfolio that show a bit more of this style. A lot of my work is based on design work so it's a bit lacking when I'm applying to more illustrative jobs. Oh well, one day.

astronaut_zps24217cf5.jpg

Did about 20+ colour variations on Conner but these 3 seem to stand out the most to me. Decided to change the orange to a more yellowy tone after.

charactercolours_zpsb0bd0b83.jpg

Quick test of my speed with drawing a full scene. Didn't turn out so well, not used to working with backgrounds on the fly yet D:
    Roughly 5 hours from sketch to finish.

plantinvestigation3_zps34e16c5f.jpg

Wow, it's 5:45am. Why am I still up?

• Options
    Spend a little more time on the feet. They don't feel particularly wrong, but in the same way that really solid hands can say a lot in a drawing, solid feet make for weighted characters. The difference between a well referenced shoe and a floppy afterthought boot is pretty large.

• Options
    Makes sense, I do tend to gravitate to doing simpler looking shoes because I'm not very good at coming up with designs. Gonna work on that a bit more for the next few, thanks Iruka!

• Options
    Haven't done any art for fun/myself in a while. Quick sketch!
    tumblr_muj0vuzdSM1rcmyjeo1_1280.jpg

• Options
    So it's been awhile! I recently started taking some time off to practice my digital painting skills again. I tried to keep the studies to either 10 or 15 minutes depending on how much I liked it.
    ms_01_zpsab7fb338.jpg

Scary Aaron Paul, wanted to see how much I could do in an hour, apparently not too much haha.
    ms_03_zps9047788e.jpg

Also some Arrow fanart =D
    Arrow_zpsb1a890f1.jpg