As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Exploring the ruins of New Detroit with VBomb and The Canadians! [Giant Bomb]

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    cross-posting, need quick advice
    Well, my 360 wireless controller seems to be done.
    When I push the left stick all the way forward, it kinda wobbles between pushed-all-the-way and pushed-80%, which results in rage-inducing movement "lag"
    Fuck :S

e: When buying a new one, is there a difference between the 360 wireless for PC and the normal 360 wireless? I got the dongle anyway, shouldn't the regular 360 wireless work?

Yes, that's fine, though a wired is actually a lot more ideal for PC gaming

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    How so?
    I can't think of an instance where I experienced signal lag...

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    How so?
    I can't think of an instance where I experienced signal lag...

At least for me every time my dongle came unplugged I had to do some Bad Driver Business(TM) to get the stupid thing to work again

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    there are two games that I think do a good job of dealing with that and they take very different approaches

heavy rain is if nothing else real good at tense action sequences, and if you die then you're dead. that's it. no game over, no reloads, the story just continues on without that character.

dark souls you're expected to die a lot, it's built into the experience and balanced around it. when you respawn at a bonfire there is a release of tension and you have time to think about what you did wrong and what you can do differently this time, while you also practice your skills working back through the area you just completed

I don't know how naughty dog could apply either of those to last of us but one thing they could do is make the clickers less bullshit

i feel like the like, platonic ideal

would be for the player to always feel like they're in danger of dying even though they rarely if ever actually are

and if you're literally shooting directly for that target well

good fuckin' luck i have no idea how you could pull that off

but there are steps you can make to get closer to that target and removing an enemy's ability to kill you in one hit is definitely one of them

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    GTAV or Blacklist would be my GotY right now, but I haven't played Last of Us or Black Flag. And I'm sooooo stoked for Black Flag you don't even know.

Well, maybe @SirEtchwarts knows.

I do!

I do know!

collectible sea shanties

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    Hullis wrote: »
    this may or may not have something to do with the recent findings that bacon fires off the same chemicals in the brain that heroin and coke do

today i also learned that oreos are more addictive as low grade doses of morphine

like actually, scientifically

i bet if you took a sample size of people who have taken morphine and people who have eaten oreos there would be a strong disagreement

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I once put Oreos in a microwave to heat them up just a little bit and make them a little soft and melty, but I put them in too long and walked away and they burned.

Burned Oreos smell fucking horrific and I can't eat a regular Oreo without remembering that smell.

So, I stick to Golden Oreos.

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    Anyone else really like sausage, but you can only eat like one link or patty before you're sick of them?

• Options
    Honestly, though

When it comes down to GOTY, I probably will be championing AC4 (given that it turns out as well as it's looking right now)

The idea of seamlessly exploring an open Caribbean world is a really intriguing one, and it's a setting that I wish would have more video games.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I like stale Oreos.

I'm weird.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    Anyone else really like sausage, but you can only eat like one link or patty before you're sick of them?

Two or three links for me, but yeah pretty much. I avoid sausage patties if I can though, links are way better.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Honestly, though

When it comes down to GOTY, I probably will be championing AC4 (given that it turns out as well as it's looking right now)

The idea of seamlessly exploring an open Caribbean world is a really intriguing one, and it's a setting that I wish would have more video games.

Honestly, I don't even know what I'm going to say is my GotY this year.

So many games did a lot of things well, but they were all different that saying that I feel one is better when I like them all a lot is eh.

Honestly, I'll probably end up just voting for Brothers because I feel its a pretty great game that didn't get a lot of attention.

• Options
    I still need to play Brothers

I think that's my big problem, too

I still haven't played Last of Us or GTA V

The only real contenders I've played were Gunpoint (which is never going to win anyone's GOTY, but that's a damn shame) and Bioshock Infinite

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I feel pretty confident in saying that there's no 10 games coming out later this year that will be better than Brothers.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Honestly, though

Honestly, I don't even know what I'm going to say is my GotY this year.

So many games did a lot of things well, but they were all different that saying that I feel one is better when I like them all a lot is eh.

Honestly, I'll probably end up just voting for Brothers because I feel its a pretty great game that didn't get a lot of attention.

Well also there aren't 10 games better than it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Finishing VLR will be delayed by a bullshit dice puzzle.
    That was the only puzzle I straight cheated on. I got one in the right place and it didn't count it, so I said "fuck this"

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    the bioshock infinite criticism came up again because a)we are getting closer to the end of the year when goty discussions come up and b) more triple a games came out since it came out that are worth bringing up

and an additional thing to consider is that bioshock infinite is used to make his ACTUAL point which is reviewers need to be able to kill sacred cows

this is the encapsulation of his thesis
    http://tevisthompson.com/on-videogame-reviews/
    And yet BioShock Infinite, The Last of Us, and Grand Theft Auto V also feature protégées who represent the next generation. Elizabeth, Ellie, and Franklin, as well as the observant player, cannot help but see in these father figures a warning: Do not do as I do. If only the next generation of game reviewers would also take this to heart.
    You guys think he's hyperbolic, fine, he knew that was going to happen and he addressed that in the essay too. Infinite is irrelevant, he chose it because of how he felt but he could have chosen GTA or other highly rated big releases that he couldnt stand. his point predicates on blind agreement in video game journalism, not actual criticism.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm getting sick of this obse
    Honestly, though

I will be right there with you. (assuming it is better than ac3)

Plus I own real swords and flintlocks so I can arm our little GOTY force to repel potential boarders.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    the bioshock infinite criticism came up again because a)we are getting closer to the end of the year when goty discussions come up and b) more triple a games came out since it came out that are worth bringing up

and an additional thing to consider is that bioshock infinite is used to make his ACTUAL point which is reviewers need to be able to kill sacred cows

And yet BioShock Infinite, The Last of Us, and Grand Theft Auto V also feature protégées who represent the next generation. Elizabeth, Ellie, and Franklin, as well as the observant player, cannot help but see in these father figures a warning: Do not do as I do. If only the next generation of game reviewers would also take this to heart.
    You guys think he's hyperbolic, fine, he knew that was going to happen and he addressed that in the essay too. Infinite is irrelevant, he chose it because of how he felt but he could have chosen GTA or other highly rated big releases that he couldnt stand. his point predicates on blind agreement in video game journalism, not actual criticism.

Extreme hyperbole is a really bad way to open an essay when you want people to seriously consider your opinion

If I want to argue that a strong central leader like a king or dictator is a good thing for a country, there are arguments to be made for that

But starting my essay with "Hitler was a great leader" is probably not going to get anyone to listen to me

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Meh. I'm weary of reading any review that starts with "X popular game is the worst game I ever played."

Not because they might not pose good arguments, but because they are more than likely preaching to a choir of their own.

• Options
    his point is he wants negative reviews to look like the opening part of his essay, personal criticisms that come from the heart, the mind, the soul

he wants less "well it wasnt for me" and more life

• Options
    captaink wrote: »
    That was the only puzzle I straight cheated on. I got one in the right place and it didn't count it, so I said "fuck this"

I got the first dice in the right spot on the right face, and then realized that the hint photo showed an isometric photo of the dice and not a top-down diagram which means that the three visible faces have to match.

Cue 15 straight minutes of fucking around with that one die trying to get it right.

Now my lunch break is over and I haven't placed a single one of them correctly yet.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Yay, they stripped GFWL out of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City on Steam!

Boo, it took my saved games with it.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

I got the first dice in the right spot on the right face, and then realized that the hint photo showed an isometric photo of the dice and not a top-down diagram which means that the three visible faces have to match.

Cue 15 straight minutes of fucking around with that one die trying to get it right.

Now my lunch break is over and I haven't placed a single one of them correctly yet.

Yup, I just looked that one up as well.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

Extreme hyperbole is a really bad way to open an essay when you want people to seriously consider your opinion

If I want to argue that a strong central leader like a king or dictator is a good thing for a country, there are arguments to be made for that

But starting my essay with "Hitler was a great leader" is probably not going to get anyone to listen to me
    did you seriously fucking godwin a video game criticism essay

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Well while we're talking about getting to games that may be important in a year-end context

The Stanley Parable is out today

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

did you seriously fucking godwin a video game criticism essay

No

Godwinning is comparing something to Hitler

I'm saying that what he is doing is going to turn people off of something just as fast as Godwinning does because of its extreme hyperbolic nature

• Options
    When I push the left stick all the way forward, it kinda wobbles between pushed-all-the-way and pushed-80%, which results in rage-inducing movement "lag"

e: When buying a new one, is there a difference between the 360 wireless for PC and the normal 360 wireless? I got the dongle anyway, shouldn't the regular 360 wireless work?

Urgh, a friend of mine told me that there might be a difference, since 360 wireless PC and 360 wireless XBOX are sold for different prices -.-

So the wireless 360 (which is 10 bucks cheaper) works with my pc dongle, right? You're sure?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I really want to play that game

But fuck at least tell us what it is first

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

Urgh, a friend of mine told me that there might be a difference, since 360 wireless PC and 360 wireless XBOX are sold for different prices -.-

So the wireless 360 (which is 10 bucks cheaper) works with my pc dongle, right? You're sure?

Yes, that's what I used.

• Options
    Okay, sweet.
    Ordered.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

• Options
    edited October 2013
    The PC one is 10 bucks more expensive because it comes with the dongle. Pretty sure that's the only difference between them.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    well if he can't call something the worst thing ever how do you expect him to get dem clicks?

Through a well thought out article that makes good points and is entertaining to read?

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

OK fine, yes

To put it another way if something purported to be a critical essay and started with the sentence "X is the best Video Game ever made in the history of the medium" I wouldn't read that either

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    his point is he wants negative reviews to look like the opening part of his essay, personal criticisms that come from the heart, the mind, the soul

if personal criticisms coming from the heart, the mind, the soul mean "acting like an internet post where something can only be the best thing in the world or the worst thing in the world" i want none of it

i agree with much of the essay, but framing the hyperbole as something admirable makes me want to disagree. it's vile, it's no better.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013

I understand that and I agree with that but I feel that it just another problem with the number-based review system and how married game journalist are with game publishers.

Sad thing is that, depending on how you word things and score them can greatly affect how much access you have.

And there are a lot of reviewers who try to avoid the metacritic game and such, but surprisingly they are the ones who don't get the trips and day one exclusives.

That said I do feel there are a few like that out there. Personally, Adam Sessler and Totalbiscuit are two game reviewers who I feel do a pretty great job while sticking to their opinions positive or negative.

But yeah, I feel that if we could get further and further away from the number system that we love so much, you would start getting a lot more thought out and in-depth reviews. But I don't see that happening soon.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    For god's sake Sigma pick up the fucking dice

just pick 'em up

sig.gif
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    what if reviewers like the games they give good reviews

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    The PC one is 10 bucks more expensive because it comes with the dongle. Pretty sure that's the only difference between them.

Ah I see, that'd explain it.
    It probably won't arrive till monday. Meh.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

This discussion has been closed.