Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Good night [chat], good night air, good night [brainstorm] everywhere

QuothQuoth the RavenMiami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
Ah, that new chat smell. Vanillin mixed with despair. Welcome, everyone. What exciting writing projects are you presently working on? Where have you submitted lately?

Shadowhope

• VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    BOYS IN THE HOUSE!

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    Magelljasonthekiller666
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Whoah!

What's going on?

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc
    jasonthekiller666
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Some guy on Amazon likes the horror story I got published in that anthology collection thingy!
    For me, The Weight of Paradise by Jeff Hemenway is the most striking tale within this collection; where scientists have found the cure for cancer but with truly deep and everlasting consequences.

I'm striking!

This makes me want to go write more stuff. I am going to go write more stuff!

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
    QuothMagellKCWisebigrickcooktapeslingerVanityPantsNova_CAmaliaCptHamiltonTheBigEasyLaOsRonin356Gennenalyse RuebenAresProphetKetarThe Betgirljakobaggerjasonthekiller666Drez
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Grats, Jeffe!

Tube wrote: »
    No, I hate D&D more than the other subforums because it's more of a pain in my arse.
    jasonthekiller666
  • bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    I just spent the last three weeks being completely and utterly useless. I've forgotten how to... I've forgotten how to do, guys.

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    jasonthekiller666
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I did that for a few weeks. It happens. I stopped, but I can't tell you exactly how or why.

jasonthekiller666
  • AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    Less than a month out from FATE FORGOTTEN's release.
    I am seriously going to start losing my mind with this book release and all the stuff that is not done yet.

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
    QuothKCWiseCptHamiltontapeslingerRonin356discrider
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    yeah, that's pretty normal, Rick.

I'm going to get on posting prompts and stuff again more regularly from the terribleminds thread.

also guys I submitted Eulogy at Flash Fiction Online
    so far I've been able to be pretty distant from the submissions process this time around

Buildin' up those submitting callouses, Tape! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

And yeah, Rick, that's normal. Sometimes your brain just needs time off.

That happens pretty much every time I finish a book, now. My brain just kind of turns to jello. Then the fear that I'll never ever ever be able to write anything ever again sets in.

Then it goes away when the brain is ready to work and a new project pops up!

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    AmaliaRonin356jasonthekiller666
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I got my tonsils removed a while ago because I kept getting tonsilitis and wanted to not almost die once a year or so. Unfortunately nobody told bronchitis that I was supposed to be immune to throat diseases :(

I feel like I should take some sort of TWB-oriented photo in Italy for you guys. Maybe I'll hunt up a little block with a W on it and take pictures of it in amusing places.

As regards forgetting how to do: if I don't force myself to take a break and spend some time reading and editing between writing first drafts I will just crank on through but will produce basically pure shit because I have more momentum and enthusiasm than worthwhile ideas. So I wait until I've forgotten how to write until I get back to it. If you can't remember then it's time to start!

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    What exciting writing projects are you presently working on?

Well. I have started a crime story recently and I picked up my 1930s pulp piece again with hopes of finally finishing it.
    Quoth wrote: »
    Where have you submitted lately?

Uh ... I don't think I have ever submitted something. I fully plan on doing so this year, though. At least one short story.

• bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    I was speaking in more general terms than writing, cause I basically took a three-week sabbatical to move and enjoy myself. It's amazing how quickly you forget that alarms have use and computers are for more than MMOs.

I dunno for sure when I'll get back to writing, now that I have new work responsibilities to learn and be overwhelmed with.

It is a good problem to have, I suppose.

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    Question (and I hope this hasn't been asked too many times in the past :): Do you guys keep a writing schedule? I.e. 1000 words a day or 2 pages or whatever? Or are you binge writers?

If you keep a routine - how do you manage to keep it? Cause I have tried time and again in the past, but have never managed to keep it going for a long period of time.

I keep a writing routine when I'm working on something. Like, if I'm working on a book I'll make sure I get at least 1,000 words in every day--usually more.

But if I'm between books, I don't worry about it as much. I tried keeping a daily schedule and just always writing no matter what even if I didn't know what I was doing and I ended up with a book or two that are just wrecks because of it.

I think it's important to keep some kind of schedule when you're working on a project. You want that momentum. When you're between projects, though, it's more important to keep your mind in that creative zone--or at least that's the way it is for me. I tend to write a lot of notes, either about the project I'm going to revise next or about the next thing I want to write, or just ideas in general. That helps to keep me in the zone.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    Amalia
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Pretty much what VP said. If I'm working on a project I'll let myself take a day off here and there but generally try to do at least an hour of writing a day. Usually it's not a problem once I get rolling but having a commitment helps in the early part before the story sucks me in and the later "What the fuck am I doing? Why do I keep doing this to myself? This is awful" period.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Found out yesterday that pending certain elements of the US government straightening out their shit, I won't have a job to show up at after Friday. Upside is, way more time for writing!

Ugh, sorry, Vincent. That's lousy. But, yeah, bright side, I suppose.

As to scheduling, I allow myself some flexibility, since having a wife and kids and job makes it difficult. I try to spend a good hour per day doing something writing related, whether it's writing new content, editing, hunting for places to submit... mostly, it's about keeping myself in a writing frame of mind, so that when it's time to open the tap there's something there to spill out. I also designate certain periods of time for plotting whatever I'm going to work on - when I'm in the shower, when I'm driving to work, taking a midday walk while at work - so that when I sit down, I'm not having to figure out what happens next and can just write it.

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a contract writer (in-house position) on Project: Eternity.

No previous game industry experience is required, so I thought you might want to check that out
    Contract Writer

Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a talented, self-motivated Contract Writer to join our growing team of RPG developers.

The Contract Writer will be responsible for creating fun, engaging narrative in the Project Eternity universe.

Applying their expert knowledge of language and design, they will populate the world of Project Eternity with interesting characters, quests, and items.

This is an in-house position at our studios in Irvine, California.

Requirements

Professional writing experience and/or degree or training in creative writing
    Ability to be resourceful and come up with creative solutions
    Ability to work on a team and respond to feedback from Senior Designers and the Creative Lead
    Strong skills in dialogue, prose, characterization, and theme development
    Strong organizational and communication skills
    Ability to rapidly master proprietary tools and development pipelines
    Passion for gaming

Pluses

Experience working with game engine toolsets - Unity, Unreal, etc.
    Experience working in a team environment
    Good understanding of tabletop RPGs and "Western"-style CRPGs

Responsibilities

Create fun, engaging dialogue for NPCs and companions
    Create critical path quests and journal entries
    Generate item, spell, and ability descriptions
    Review and improve previously created NPC dialogues
    Work closely with Creative Lead and Designers to ensure story targets are met or exceeded
    Complete work under reasonable deadlines

Portfolio Requirements

A web portfolio that demonstrates a range of high quality writing samples.
    Simply apply via e-mail: jobs@obsidian.net.
    Please put the job you are applying to in the subject line please.
    Please no phone calls or drop-ins. We only accept emailed applications.

C2B on
  • MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I don't keep a real schedule, but I'm not a productive writer. But I'm at the ending point of my novel which is where I'm always least motivated because I know exactly what's going to happen at this point and it's not as exciting to write as figuring out how everything plays out, because I'm not an outliner.

But I do make sure that I always have open office open so that I know I should be writing and try to plunk away at least a couple of words a day.

Last year I managed to keep a schedule for about 2 months. Started at 500 words a day for a few weeks and ramped that up to 700 if I remember correctly.

Right now I am trying to get a 1000 words/day schedule going, just to write and get words down on paper. I'll sort out afterwards if there is anything worthwile in it.

On a side note - I am going to the Frankfurt Bookfair tomorrow. First time in 13 years.

• XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    Three rejections in one go.
    Must be Thursday.

It's good to feel all the sadness at once, that way the other days can be happier.

• AmpAmp King of Card Games Registered User regular
    Biting the bullet before starting a new note pad is hard. When it is a Hobbit mole skin then it is even harder. My childish scrawl with be a blot up its pages for ever.

Calix Maus Imbranus
    Quoth
    That's why I just use shitty notebooks that cost less than a dollar. A new one ain't shit. Although the one where I wrote fifty something pages of a story and then my brother spilled something onto it and ruined like the last five pages was kind of disheartening, but it had to be typed up and rewritten at some point anyway. Now to get on that part of it.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    a friend of mine from wdc talked me into auditing this: http://iversity.org/courses/the-future-of-storytelling?r=705d8

it looks super interesting and is also free so you shouldn't feel horbs if you don't do much with it

MagellKCWise
    It's pretty fucking awesome that we live in a world where you can just take classes for free on the internet because the subject interests you.

tapeslinger
  • KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    Totally doing that, Tape!
    There is also a fantastic free university service called EdX (a collaboration between Harvard, MIT and other elite universities from around the world) where I audit classes all the time. All sorts of different subjects. It is always good to keep learning, ya'll!

tapeslinger
    Yeah, I have a lot of friends who do classes that are run on Coursera all the time. I'm also thinking about doing some of the lower-involvement design classes on Skillshare because my chops, they are all the rusties.

• GriffDizzleGriffDizzle Registered User regular
    Did my new thread disappear for anybody else? I could've swore it was there yesterday.

I think it might've gotten nerfed inadvertently when they tried to clear the spam out?
    it is still there...

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/183704/short-story-excerpt-1200-words#latest

• GriffDizzleGriffDizzle Registered User regular
    Oh, cool. Thanks!

• GrudgeGrudge Far Beyond DrivenRegistered User regular
    I went on paternal leave about a month ago, so I've started writing that little fantasy story that's been bouncing around inside my head for the past 10 years or so. 15K words so far, I expect it to be no longer than 80K. The goal is to have it done by August next year (when it's time for me to go back to work). I'll probably just self-publish it as I see it as a learning project, and there's probably no way a publisher is going to pick up a slow paced, low key, slightly philosophical fantasy story written by some guy from Sweden.

Can I be that silly American who is so jealous that you get a year off for paternity leave? That's amazing. I got 3 weeks paid, 4 weeks barely paid off when I had my eldest. Ridiculous. Of course I'm unpaid stay-at-home, now (also known as indentured servitude with hugs and kisses as your reward). More importantly, congratulations on your little one, and on starting your story!

Amalia
    dang
    being all internet ragey about things in life which suck and are dumb is painful

This is so far below first world problems but basically ugh I hate being so dumb sometimes

• GrudgeGrudge Far Beyond DrivenRegistered User regular
    Heh, well it's not really a full year off. You get 180 days at 80% your pay (plus any extra days that your spouse might surrender to you), which I'm using up at 5 days/week, which further "dilutes" the money to around 57%. After those 180 days you get another 100 at around $27/day, which doesn't even cover rent. Plus I'm taking 8 weeks plain unpaid leave of absence, so it is quite a substantial loss of income. But I figure it's worth it - for my son that is, not for the story...

• DoctorJestDoctorJest Grand Eedjit The Loony BinRegistered User regular
    I seem to have been sidetracked by Final Fantasy XIV...

Still writing, though, and still collecting my wonderful, wonderful rejections; though even those have dried up a bit recently, as I got tied up heavily in one novella that I kept trying to get right until I finally decided to set it aside; I think I'm still missing the right idea to make the ending click, and I don't think I can get to it by hitting it with a hammer, so I'm letting it rest for a while.

I'm now gearing up to start throwing more things at editors again. My pending rejections count has dropped to just five; this is unacceptable.

• WankWank Registered User regular
    Woke up to two pro-pay anthology acceptances, the rest of the day can suck as bad as it wants

AmaliaQuothKCWisetapeslingerbigrickcookchiasaur11
  • AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    Way to go, Wank! That is the BEST start to the day!!

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
    tapeslinger
    That is fantastic, Wank!!! Cheers!

edited October 2013
    I woke up to ordering a new laptop paid for by writing income, and a 3% cost-of-living raise at work. And I just finished a draft of Book that I just need to run through proofing, then it goes back to Mr. Interested Agent Dude.

So... not quite a Wanktastic day, but still pretty keen.

ElJeffe on

I make tweet.
    KCWisetapeslingerLaOsAmaliaWankMKR
This discussion has been closed.