As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DOOM: Ripping and Tearing After All These Years

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Brutal doom looks like it'll be fun to try. Been playing Vanillia Doom for 20 years. Time to spice it up a bit.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Drake wrote: »
    Todays the actual day! Happy Birthday Doom!

Also, I tried Reelism for a bit last night. At one point I was shooting bees at what seemed to be the little gray dudes that come out of the UFOs that land in south Alabama.

Bees. Little gray alien dudes.

Can't wait to fight the Dog Pope.
    Err, you're two months too early (Doom was released in December of '93), but any excuse to pop the cork early works fine by me! And yes, Reelism is a brilliantly fun thing that everybody should try.
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Doom 3 is my favourite Doom game. And I'll defend that opinion to the grave. Successfully, I might add. It's fucking brilliant.
    With mods, maybe. :P All joking aside, Doom 3 does have it's merits as a great atmospheric game, but I think I give Doom 64 the nod for being the better pure Doom experience. Seriously though, Sikkmod Doom 3 was damn fun, if not a bit frustrating because of all the sneak attacks.

EDIT: Also, in case anybody missed this brilliant bit of satire the first time around:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NURfvG0lfpA

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Drake wrote: »
    Todays the actual day! Happy Birthday Doom!

Also, I tried Reelism for a bit last night. At one point I was shooting bees at what seemed to be the little gray dudes that come out of the UFOs that land in south Alabama.

Bees. Little gray alien dudes.

Can't wait to fight the Dog Pope.
    Err, you're two months too early (Doom was released in December of '93), but any excuse to pop the cork early works fine by me! And yes, Reelism is a brilliantly fun thing that everybody should try.

Oh. Whoops. Guess I'll start drinking anyway. This gives me a good head start.

Drake on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    So here is my Doom story,

Back around the time the Doom was first released, when I was 10 or 11, my friends went the flea market to buy some games and comics and came back with a floppy disk containing some shareware. They paid for the shareware, because we were young and didn't have a good grasp on the internet back then, but that is besides the point. The point is that they introduced me to the game they bought, which was the most intense adrenaline rush of a game, a game that felt like what the futurist were talking about when they discussed virtual reality, a game that changed my entire outlook on what PC gaming was and could be. This game was of course... Wolfenstein 3d.

I asked them off handedly about what other stuff they picked up at the flea market and they remarked on how they had bought another shareware game, and that had accidently dropped the disk behind my friend heavy computer desk, but it didn't matter because how could it possibly be better than Wolfenstein?

About a month later, I was still intensely playing Wolfenstein and thinking it was the greatest thing ever when out of the blue my friend called me. I remember that he was super excited about a new game that he gotten, or more correctly had retrieved from the back of his computer desk, "YOU HAVE TO PLAY THIS GAME IT'S AMAZING. It's like Wolfenstein but better 100x better. The lighting is amazing, the graphics are way better, we shot a guy and HE FELL DOWN THE STAIRS!". This game, which my friends hadn't thought worth retrieving for a month (which is like a decade when you are 10), was of course Doom.

Doom was, is, amazing. I love that I can play it now and enjoy it on a completely different level than I did when I played it originally. Now it's a high velocity shooter, Robotron in first person, but back then it was a tense horror game filled with secrets. People talk about secret levels in Mario, or easter eggs in Zelda, but for me it was seeing that blue sphere for the first time on e1m3. This mystical looking object with no purpose and no obvious way of reaching it, just out of reach it suggested a game of limitless secrets and potential. Doom was formative to me in a way that can only happen when you are so young. It is central to how I think about gaming and simply my favorite game of all time.

That's the story of how Wolfenstein 3d was the greatest game ever, for about a month.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    I wonder if Doomworld is going to do another one of those all-inclusive "Best WADs" lists from the past decade, like they did with the first ten years (and five years). Should be interesting to see all the cool stuff people have been able to do with source ports and just plain awesome vanilla mapping skills.

• Options
    I don't see how they could pass it up.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Samsara is really amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-V32Uqc27E

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Just started playing Brutal doom a few hours ago. Oh my god that mod is AWESOME.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I remember when PC Gamer came in 3 flavors; Disc, Disk and Plain.

Plain was just the mag, Disk had a choice small demo on a 3.5 floppy, but Disc was where it was at. Multiple demos, playable or otherwise and several Doom/Duke/quake maps each month.

There was one that I recall, dude had moded all the weapons (shotty was semi-auto, pistol was bigger and had shell ejection animation, chain gun's rof was ridiculously high, BFG was red instead of green, and the chainsaw replaced with a set of claws) and replaced the imps with black shadows with red outlines. Called Doom 2 X. And I can't find it... :(

Also, 11th Hour had a Wad of the Stauf Mansion on the disc. Thought that was cool.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    There was one that I recall, dude had moded all the weapons (shotty was semi-auto, pistol was bigger and had shell ejection animation, chain gun's rof was ridiculously high, BFG was red instead of green, and the chainsaw replaced with a set of claws) and replaced the imps with black shadows with red outlines. Called Doom 2 X. And I can't find it... :(
    Sounds like "Ultra Doom2X". Here's a thread about it from Doomworld: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/56969-doom-2-xtreme-prequel/

Here's the upload from that thread: http://www.mediafire.com/?0zwgmczmwzd

You can use "chocolate-doom.exe -deh ud2x.deh -file ud2x.wad" to load it in Chocolate Doom.

e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    I installed Doom last night, in fact, and played it on a real 486 with a gravis gamepad.

It was The Ultimate Doom, actually. With the extra episode, thy flesh consumed.

Still a terrific game.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Goddamn the Brutal Doom mod is violent. It's to the point that I feel myself slightly recoiling away from the monitor when I hose a huge room full of zombies with a chain gun. It's a level of viscera that is unmatched in any game I can think of. Even the meat-wave levels throughout the Serious Sam series, once you get some of the tastier weapons, isn't close to this

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm overjoyed - nay, ecstatic - to see so many people playing Brutal Doom for the first time. I'm using it right now with Eternal Doom, and it adds just that right level of intensity to keep the large maps exciting. Just remember you can also add the "mutators" like Janitor Mode (which causes the gibs to disappear after a little while to help save processing power), restoring the Blur spheres that the friendly Marines replace, removing the need to reload, and various sound effects.
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Goddamn the Brutal Doom mod is violent. It's to the point that I feel myself slightly recoiling away from the monitor when I hose a huge room full of zombies with a chain gun. It's a level of viscera that is unmatched in any game I can think of. Even the meat-wave levels throughout the Serious Sam series, once you get some of the tastier weapons, isn't close to this
    Yeah, it's caused me to wince more than a few times, especially some of the Berserker finishers (shotgun enema, anyone?), but good lord is it a guilty pleasure. Try giving some of the other mods a go if you like it!

• Options

It is, but for me the pixelated nature of the proceedings transform it from possibly horrifying into delightfully silly.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Doom is one of those games that has aged remarkably well. I can still hop on vanilla Doom and enjoy myself.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    august wrote: »

It is, but for me the pixelated nature of the proceedings transform it from possibly horrifying into delightfully silly.

Yeah, it's like low budget grindhouse gore flicks. It should be absolutely disgusting but since everything is so low fidelity it becomes hilarious and awesome.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Doom has some of the best music in an FPS ever (Only Half-Life and Metroid Prime come close, IMO)

Awhile back, doomworld had a bunch of mp3s of all the music files played through a 64bit soundcard and they, at the time, sounded amazing. I still have those Mp3's and I listen to them when I do the dishes. Amoung my favorites

E1M1 - The classic, the one everyone remembers. Probably the best music they could have picked to get you pumped up right away.
    E1M8 - This was a bleak and haunting song, and for someone who was like eleven at the time, it really stuck with me. It's still my favorite track to this day. I would pay good money to hear the vocals done by an actual chior.
    E2M3 - AKA the Intermission theme; great damn song for getting you pumped up and ready for the next level.
    E2M8 - Another haunting song, but this one builds to crecendo and then kicks into overdrive; it fits very well thematic with the level it's on.. you're in a big creepy open level with SOMETHING big stomping around in the background, and then you run face to face into the cyberdemon for the first time and it kicks into overdrive. Great song, great level, great bossfight.

Doom 2 IMO, didn't have quite as good of a soundtrack, but there's a couple of gems I like.
    End Credits music - Another haunting track, but this one is way more in your face; it really feels like the theme for the end of the world.
    MAP31: Technically this one is originally from wolfentstien; but the oppressive beat and marching army in the background really stick out in the Doom 2 version.

There's a ton of other great songs that I missed, but I really love all of it. Great damn soundtrack!

• Options
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I love those albums. Especially that first song you posted. So fucking good.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    That Doom/RE Mercenaries mod is still one of the most amazing things I've seen - and the guy behind it (goes by the handle DOOMERO-21) has also successfully remade fighting games like Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct to work with the various source ports:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsFTHYZhBfw

Doom really is the best game ever, isn't it? :mrgreen:

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Cool thread. I love reading these stories. Does anyone know if it's hard to mod the version of doom that comes with the bfg version? It launches from within bfg. It's not separate so I don't know if that causes a problem.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    august wrote: »

These are amazing, but sadly they won't work with the actual, original doom engine. the first at least, dunno about the mercenaries one.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    If the only shooters ever released were Doom 1 & 2 and Serious Sam: First & Second Encounter, I would still play shooters for the rest of my life.

Some games are so beautifully tuned to deliver the maximum carnage per second that they never get old.

• Options
    Most modern Doom wad and mod files need a modern sourceport to run, nothing unusual about that. ZDoom and GZDoom are the ones that have the widest compatibility.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    If I wanted to buy Doom/Doom2 these days, is GoG my best option?

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

Steam. They're not on gog.

• Options
    anoffday wrote: »

Steam. They're not on gog.

Oh nice. I had no idea!

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Master Levels of Doom and a Final Doom in a $15 bundle.
    http://store.steampowered.com/sub/18397/

• Options

Buying it now. What's the next step to playing Brutal Doom? Download ZDoom?

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options

Wondering this too. Hoping to play tonight after work.

• Options
    Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    This really should've been Doom: Knee Deep in the Thread.

I miss my old copy of... whatever the Doom anthology pack was. The steam DOSBOX booting is kinda obnoxious on my current system, but with that anthology pack, it did somethin' different that I can't recall and seemed to run more smoothly.

if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Yep, download either ZDoom or GZDoom and the latest builds for either, or Zandronum if you want to play online with other people.

Also, if I might indulge myself a bit, I've decided to share with everybody a mod of my own that I've had for my own personal use. More like a mod-of-a-mod, really: I must admit that I like the angled Doom 3 weapons, and when I saw somebody made a mod that translated the Doom 3 arsenal into sprite form for ZDoom I downloaded it and sort of enjoyed it. . . I actually didn't like the way the weapons handled, or the extra stuff like the grenades and machine gun. So when I learned about editing with SLADE3, I decided to pare down and rework the mod to my liking effectively teaching myself in the process with what I could learn from the ZDoom Wiki and other people when I needed help.

The resulting mod can be found right here in two versions, which I think keep the weapons balanced while making various improvements for use in just about any kind of maps or WADs. Version 1 features just the classic Doom weapons (including the Super Shotgun from Resurrection of Evil), and reworks the sound effects, handling, and ammo pickups (in other words, no grenades, MG, or flashlight). Version 2 adds back in the Machinegun as a slot 4 weapon as well as a ZSec enemy that uses/drops it, while beefing up the chaingun to compensate for the extra automatic weapon.

I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR THE MOD; ALL CREDIT GOES TO THE ORIGINAL CREATOR(S). I just tweaked it a bit (okay, a lot), but still. Thanks goes to PermaNoob on the ZDoom forums for helping me with various problems as well as the implementation of the current reload system in Z/GZDoom. Hope everybody enjoys!

EDIT: This is best played with the Alternate HUD option turned to ON and the screen size set to 11.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    Raziel_pmRaziel_pm Registered User regular

Yes, download ZDoom and then the Brutal Doom apk. Afterwards, all you need to do is drag/drop the Brutal apk onto the ZDoom.exe and "Open with...". Select any .wad you want and then click "Ok".

BRUTAL! ^_^

Your sig was too large. Maximum sig size is 500x80. - Jacobkosh.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I recommend Zandronum because I think think the online portion is awesome as fuck and it comes bundled with Doomseeker which will automatically seek out and download the .wad files you need when connecting to server.

august on
  • Options
    If you get into playing doom sourceports with a lot of mods and wads I suggest looking for an appropriate frontend launcher. It'll make it easy to configure launches for whatever sourceports, mods and wad files you collect. I really like ZDL but the homepage appears to be down right now. I recently threw it up on Dropbox though, so if you want it I'll keep it up here for a while. There are plenty of others to choose from too though, take a moment to find one that fits.

• Options
    Played a bit on the middle difficulty setting. God I'm rusty at twitch gaming :P

But the music, the sounds, the visuals....so fucking good.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I remember playing Doom and Wolfenstein with my mouse.

As in, not mouse look. Moving the mouse up moved you forward. Turning it left and right turned you. It wasn't mouselook, it was more like WASD mapped to the mouse, except A and D rotated you.

Anybody remember back when those were proper FPS controls? I beat the entirety of Wolfenstein, Spear of destiny, Doom, Doom 2, and Blakestone that way.

Remember when FPS games were "doom clones"? Ah, memories.

EDIT: I also played rise of the triad this way, I'm fairly sure. And probably Duke Nukem 3D as well. The first FPS I remember playing with proper mouselook was Quake II, but I skipped Quake I on my PC (specs weren't up to the job, had to settle for the actually-awesome Saturn version).

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Can someone please check if a modern computer can handle nuts.wad yet please?