As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DOOM: Ripping and Tearing After All These Years

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Doom 3 worth checking out? I've heard super mixed things. I know it got some upgraded remake or somesuch for the 360 and PS3.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Skip the BFG edition of Doom 3. Regular Doom 3 with whatever mods you prefer is generally acknowledged as the best experience.

As far as the game goes it's a pretty solid FPS. Lots of traps, not many secrets, incredible lighting and animations. The environments look pretty cool if mostly dark and claustrophobic in nature. I'm an oddball in that I enjoy the weapon sounds and the darkness. Most people go straight for the duct tape then commence complaining about the way the guns sound. As long as you go into the game knowing that it's a pretty different game than Doom and Doom 2 in regards to speed, enemy count and level design you'll probably be ok.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Huh, I picked up Doom 3 BFG on sale and am pretty happy with it--7ish bucks for Doom 1,2 3, and expansions with controller support is pretty nifty. I hardly ever bother with mods for non-Elderscrolls stuff, though.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Doom 3 worth checking out? I've heard super mixed things. I know it got some upgraded remake or somesuch for the 360 and PS3.

Grab it, it's tons of fun. It's got a pretty decent length to it too, which was surprising in an era when so many FPS games were getting shorter and shorter.

Skip the highly-recommended duct tape mod though. The entire point of the flashlight in Doom 3 is that you are forced to choose between the security of a lightsource and the security of a weapon. The BFG Edition removed the flashlight entirely in lieu of an armor mounted light, which means that you lose the best melee weapon in the game (except for the chainsaw, and you don't get that for a long time) and are forced to use your fists if you want to save ammo on low hp zombies.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    Huh, I picked up Doom 3 BFG on sale and am pretty happy with it--7ish bucks for Doom 1,2 3, and expansions with controller support is pretty nifty. I hardly ever bother with mods for non-Elderscrolls stuff, though.

Doom 3 is fun but not exactly a groundbreaking experience. Competent, or perhaps adequate, is probably a fair descriptor.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I found the latter half of Doom 3 got pretty fun as it threw more demons and Doom-like scenarios at you with an abundance of weapons and space. The first half is a bit of a slog for me.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    All the in game digital interfaces, lighting, goodies hidden in nooks and crannies and ridiculously ahead of its time visuals really lend the game a sense of place--it basically did most everything Bioshock got so much praise for, sans the twist. The action is solid, and the plot is meh, but overall I feel it's a really underrated game if you're in the mood for shooting stuff. It's no Half Life or even Wolfenstien: New Order, but I'd take it over another Call of Duty campaign any day of the week.

Darlan on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    The in-world UI system was super, super novel at the time, and I thought at the time D3's tech would've been a solid foundation to make a hypothetical System Shock 3.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    The in-world UI system was super, super novel at the time, and I thought at the time D3's tech would've been a solid foundation to make a hypothetical System Shock 3.
    And by super, super novel you must mean "SiN did it in 1998."

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Doom 3 is the only game that's ever given me motion sickness. I don't know why since I feel like it should be the older ones that do it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Was there ever a co-op mod/mode for Doom 3 or was that strictly an oXbox thing? Cause I thought it worked rather well there when you had to start trading off light and gun duty during sections due to ammo.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I think it's strickly oxBox. Having said that, I think I saw some kind of mod in Steam Guides.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    There were several co-op mods for Doom 3.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I honestly found Doom 3 to be incredibly boring and way too long. Weapons are terrible, all of them feel wimpy, and most of them are variations of bullet hoses. too many extremely narrow and long corridors... No game feels like a "corridor shooter" like this, it's even more linear than SP CoD. Monsters are few, and they're bullet sponges. All the levels are full of extremely complex moving and flashing machinery that does absolutely nothing but look futuristic. And, considering the game tries to mimic a "real" facility, it's got WAY too many monster closets and trap rooms.

People say it gets better later, but I wouldn't know, because I played for a lot of hours but never got out of the boring part.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    And by super, super novel you must mean "SiN did it in 1998."

Man, I always forget about SiN, the super-90s FPS that time forgot.

Still, Doom 3's system is more smooth and ingrained in the game world than SiN's, so there's that. So "kinda novel" than "super novel" if you want.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I played through doom 3 around launch, took another stab at on 360 and yeah. The machine gun and shotgun are garbage. The metallic sound that the shotgun makes when ejecting the casings makes it seem totally anemic. The monsters are dumb and the plot is dumb and the level design is dumb. The only good thing I can say about that game is that the shadows are cool.

• Options
    If you enjoy that kind of immersive interface simulation check out Spirits of Xanadu. This is more of a shout out to System Shock 2 than anything like a Doom game though.

SiN did a lot of neat things too. That opening bank robbery level still stands out in my memory.

• Options
    Man now I don't know if I want to replay Doom 3. I thought Quake 4's shotty was weak compared to Doom 3's!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    I strongly urge you to consider using a sourceport for playing Doom or Doom II. If you want to preserve the classic feel of the game use Chocolate Doom. If you don't care about preserving the look and feel so much and want modern features, especially for multiplayer, then go for Zandronum.

If you go with Chocolate Doom it comes with a really cool retro setup utility that will create all the necessary config files for you. It feels DOStastic! Zandronum gives you plenty of modern in-game options to choose from.

A great thank you for Chocolate Doom. That thing is amazing.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    If you enjoy that kind of immersive interface simulation check out Spirits of Xanadu. This is more of a shout out to System Shock 2 than anything like a Doom game though.

SiN did a lot of neat things too. That opening bank robbery level still stands out in my memory.

214584757_tSa5c-1050x10000.jpg

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    RetroDoom 1.8 is out. It's a Chocolate Doom fork. It seems to be aimed towards a more user friendly experience (wad launcher, in-game console, etc) with a few new blood effects and stuff but also aimed at preserving the original 4:3 aspect ratio and gritty pixelated feel. Some things that could potentially bum people out; Single player only and no Demo support.

Personally it's not going to replace Chocolate Doom but it could be a good fit for players who want some more modern features in a source port while keeping it old school where it counts.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I was also annoyed that Zdoom "fix" the sky not being white while you had invincibility. Hopefully Retro maintains that.

Also this is pretty awesome:
    Sidharth%2BChaturvedi%2B-%2BDoom.png

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Finally got Sikkmod working on Doom 3. And...man I think it's the first time I've felt dizzy playing an FPS! Maybe it's the motion blur?

• Options
    yp6vhtu7fvok.jpeg

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    never finished doom 3. Always meant to though.

I don't think the whole light or gun thing works for me for the original though. Just my thought, but I don't think it added anything.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
  • Options
    Never let this thread die august
    Let it grow like Romeros mighty mane....

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    That looks terrible. Mouse look and no level design, bleh.

• Options
    Yeah it's not very doomlike I guess, but it gives me a super Quake boner with that movement and color palette. Do I want a big huge game like that? Probably not. But an arcadey endurance shooter? Hopefully with leaderboards and stuff? Yeah I'd play that.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Got an email with a code for the doom multiplayer alpha. Runs 23rd-25th

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    How do you get a code? I pre-ordered The New Order and it said I'd have access to the Doom Beta when that started, but I'm assuming this is something else?

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Wondering the same thing. I'm in from the new order, but this sounds like something different.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Should be from when I registered for the beta when I bought wolfenstein. I've done nothing else

Found this http://doom.com/en-gb/alpha

Mulletude on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Excellent, yeah I just had to sign in through Steam on the second option on that site and it said I was eligible to participate. I signed up, and it said it'll send me an email if I'm selected. But yeah, it is apparently different from the Beta. Hope I get in!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Can't wait to see it in motion for myself, even at the alpha stage

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I've been reading positive impressions from people in the alpha. Say weapons are very balanced.

Man, I can't wait for this game.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Damn game is displaying on my secondary monitor and I can't change it no matter what I do. I think my only option at this point is to climb behind my machine and start swapping cables.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Damn game is displaying on my secondary monitor and I can't change it no matter what I do. I think my only option at this point is to climb behind my machine and start swapping cables.

Have you given the Machine God a blood sacrifice recently?