As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DOOM: Ripping and Tearing After All These Years

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the reason they arent scattering it around the level as much is that they want players to be able to go "i need health or ammo, and one way to get it is to fucking MURDER something" rather than just thinking "o i need to run away and find a fkin medkit b o y s"

B O Y S

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Yeah the kills don't bother me as much as I thought they would

They're fast enough that I don't feel like I'm sitting through them, and they encourage the player to get all up in a demon's facehole to get more health/ammo, instead of running away plinking at it from a safe distance

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS! RIP AND TEAR!

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS! RIP AND TEAR!

YUGE GUTS!

trump-grimace.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    Warcry wrote: »
    http://au.ign.com/videos/2016/04/28/huge-doom-easter-egg-revealed

Basically, ID's put exact recreations of the original DOOM levels in every mission as secret areas, complete with the original texturing, music, lack of shadowing, and low-ass polycount. If you're into that sort of thing.
    Oh, and once you find one, you can play it straight out of the menu later.
    Except the original Doom did have shadowing.

EAnCulj.gif

Stripping out all of the lighting makes it look like shit.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Looks like 1993 to me.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    And that texture alignment.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Doom never had hard shadows.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Doom had shadows if the wad makers were any good, but shadows were just defined sections of a level that was darker than the rest, from light level 0 to 255. ;-)

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'd say the shadows look just as shitty, if not more so.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Shouldn't that easter egg also mean that the original doom textures should also be available for SnapMap?

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    ...Huh, that's a e-mail I was surprised to get this morning.
    You asked for it, and you’re getting it: a gameplay demo of BLACKROOM.

The team is at work on a demo which demonstrates the kind of gameplay, look and innovative, cool features that make BLACKROOM truly unique — the things we’ve waited years to put into an FPS and which make us incredibly excited about this game.

There’s a hitch here, a hitch that’s making us do something that’s right for the game, the team, and the community: we’re pressing “PAUSE” on the fundraising campaign for BLACKROOM to complete this gameplay demo. Simply put, this will take more time than the Kickstarter has left, so we’ve decided to suspend the campaign and launch a new one when the gameplay demo is ready. We believe, however, it is the right choice. We know you do, too. Thanks to your feedback, we know we should have included it at launch.

To all of our backers: your support has been incredible and valuable. We will, of course, honor backer achievements in the next campaign (and an extra something for those of you who continue to support us in the next campaign).

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

The team is at work on a demo which demonstrates the kind of gameplay, look and innovative, cool features that make BLACKROOM truly unique — the things we’ve waited years to put into an FPS and which make us incredibly excited about this game.

There’s a hitch here, a hitch that’s making us do something that’s right for the game, the team, and the community: we’re pressing “PAUSE” on the fundraising campaign for BLACKROOM to complete this gameplay demo. Simply put, this will take more time than the Kickstarter has left, so we’ve decided to suspend the campaign and launch a new one when the gameplay demo is ready. We believe, however, it is the right choice. We know you do, too. Thanks to your feedback, we know we should have included it at launch.

To all of our backers: your support has been incredible and valuable. We will, of course, honor backer achievements in the next campaign (and an extra something for those of you who continue to support us in the next campaign).

This seems like a good move for them. As someone else mentioned, zero gameplay sets a lot of alarm bells ringing for folks.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Ceno wrote: »
    Yo, that single player gameplay looks so much better than the multiplayer

Like to an almost absurd degree

What happened with that, was it just a complete afterthought they farmed out? I guess it must have been

Multi was developed by an entirely different developer, yes.

You'd think they would have sent over some footage of their single player and gone "make it feel like THIS"

Because hoo boy, those could not look more different

That's kind of a shame, considering how insanely customizable and crazy that first Doom's multiplayer got. But we live in a different time now, I guess

How do you do that though, outside of making a co-op campaign*?

In my own memory, a lot of Doom mulitplayer was just dropping human players into the existing campaign levels, with very little (or no adjustment) made for multiplayer.

*Which is a good idea--why isn't there a co-op campaign option if there isn't?

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »

This seems like a good move for them. As someone else mentioned, zero gameplay sets a lot of alarm bells ringing for folks.

I honestly don't know how they started the campaign without gameplay footage in the first place. This whole campaign doesn't inspire confidence so far.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    And that texture alignment.

After the intro to the Hangar level in Rage and now this, I don't understand how they can keep screwing up remaking levels from a 23 year old game.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

While this is a cool move, the cynic in me says they were getting nervous about the dropoff in backers. At the rate they were going, they would have been lucky to barely make the goal, let alone any stretch goals.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

While this is a cool move, the cynic in me says they were getting nervous about the dropoff in backers. At the rate they were going, they would have been lucky to barely make the goal, let alone any stretch goals.

I fail to see what's cynical about that. Their offering wasn't good enough, so they decided to improve it and try again.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Yeah you aren't going to get anything but an attaboy from me if you don't have any gameplay to at least show off.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Ok, Ok, so I watched that single player. A few things.

If you end up with that many melee take downs, I'm not as happy, but I can live with it.
    I still have no interest in their multiplayer based on the beta I played.
    I am interested in the single player campaign though.

I think I would pike up on sale, or a BFG edition in the future.

Edit:
    Also, As I have been playing the BFG Doom and Doom II, is there a HD remake someone did of them? That uses the same WAD's? I got the Simpsons one to work with one of the wrappers, but curious if anyone did a HD texture pack for the originals.

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I know of a few, but they require one source port or another.

Also, given that nobody wants to try their hand at drawing upressed Doom sprites, you can only find polygonal upgrades, and they invariably look terrible. I recommend snagging mods to enhance the textures though, those look nice. (And HD interface is a must if you're playing at a high resolution. High quality music is pretty nice too.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    There was some guy on the new doom forums that had some amazing looking 3d models to replace the sprites. Sadly he never finished the project and I don't think he ever released the wip project.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Should just steal the sprites from Doom 64.

• Options
    Rock Paper Shotgun has an article up on some of technical details of Brutal Doom, https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/29/brutal-doom-gore/.

It's pretty high level, but interesting.
    One could argue that Brutal Doom is tasteless in its entirety. Sergeant_Mark_IV’s apparent enthusiasm for researching real injuries has landed him in some controversy.

This guy is pretty out there apparently.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Rock Paper Shotgun has an article up on some of technical details of Brutal Doom, https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/29/brutal-doom-gore/.

It's pretty high level, but interesting.
    One could argue that Brutal Doom is tasteless in its entirety. Sergeant_Mark_IV’s apparent enthusiasm for researching real injuries has landed him in some controversy.

This guy is pretty out there apparently.
    at one point, some of the sprites were actual photos just highly compressed to be a low resolution. Like a head exploding would give you an ACTUAL image of a brain. just very low res.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Yo, that single player gameplay looks so much better than the multiplayer

Like to an almost absurd degree

What happened with that, was it just a complete afterthought they farmed out? I guess it must have been

Multi was developed by an entirely different developer, yes.

You'd think they would have sent over some footage of their single player and gone "make it feel like THIS"

Because hoo boy, those could not look more different

That's kind of a shame, considering how insanely customizable and crazy that first Doom's multiplayer got. But we live in a different time now, I guess

How do you do that though, outside of making a co-op campaign*?

In my own memory, a lot of Doom mulitplayer was just dropping human players into the existing campaign levels, with very little (or no adjustment) made for multiplayer.

*Which is a good idea--why isn't there a co-op campaign option if there isn't?

Well I would prefer something other than SnapMap to give the map-making community (because I always doubt the efficacy/enduring popularity of any "easy to use" mapmaking tool) as well as allowing them to mod the living fuck out of the game and make another Aliens TC or add weird Simpsons characters or whatever, but again, we live in a different time. There's only so much they can allow, I guess

But the fact that there isn't a horde mode does seem like a completely missed opportunity. I'm not sure who first produced those modes for old Doom multiplayer, but they were real cool! Still are, even!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    The amount of area style never ending stream of monsters Serious Sam style gameplay I see in the single player footage worries me. It seems like a trick you could pull off a few times in the single player, but the amount of footage makes me think that it's a decent bulk of the game.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    The amount of area style never ending stream of monsters Serious Sam style gameplay I see in the single player footage worries me. It seems like a trick you could pull off a few times in the single player, but the amount of footage makes me think that it's a decent bulk of the game.

Shooting a never-ending stream of monsters is theoretically what everyone wanted out of a new Doom game.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

I have a game just for you

latest?cb=20060430203735

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    For what everyone says about doom 3 the latter half of the game felt very actiony and jam-packed to me. Although I might just be misremembering it.

• Options
    Apparently SnapMap has the capacity to create horde modes and such, not just maps

But you know what's a great way to ensure that no significant community develops around a game mode?

Making it a player-created mode that every player has to opt into

So I still don't think SnapMap is a good idea!

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Apparently SnapMap has the capacity to create horde modes and such, not just maps

But you know what's a great way to ensure that no significant community develops around a game mode?

As opposed to being forced to participate?

• Options
    edited May 2016

Shooting a never-ending stream of monsters is theoretically what everyone wanted out of a new Doom game.

There is a big difference between the gameplay of original Doom and the arena shooter that is Serious Sam.

Don't get me wrong, Serious Sam has it's time and it's place, but it's not Doom. Often people seem to conflate the gameplay of the two and in some of the levels with actual level design in them Serious Sam feels like a good throwback shooter (which is a funny term for a 10+ year old game), but Serious Sam was a budget title and it really shows in the majority of the level design, which is "here is a box with waves of enemies in it".

I've been playing a lot of Doom and Brutal Doom lately, and it's amazing how unique that game feels. I'd think it would be cool if a modern game at least tried to do that style and some of the gameplay footage of Doom 4 looks promising, but others.. not so much.

EDIT:

To clarify, by "arena style" I mean the footage that has the player stay in 1 area, fighting wave after wave of monster. The hell gameplay demonstrates this pretty well I think the majority of that video is the player in a single area.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    Doom 1 was less about throwing tons of monsters at you. It happened, but infrequently. That was more Doom 2's thing.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    reVerse wrote: »

As opposed to being forced to participate?

As opposed to ensuring that every player has access to the same mode with the same maps, rather than relying on the propagation of a custom mode through a player-curated system

I remember the Far Cry games. 2, 3, and 4 all boasted really easy and intuitive mapmaking tools, but they also relied on the community to spread those maps amongst themselves and didn't do much if any curating themselves. The more you pass that responsibility onto the players, the less will bother to engage with it at all

And yknow, I think the multiplayer looks bad already. But a co-op experience would probably be alright, and if I can't find anyone to play with because no one bothered to figure out how to download or access the custom mode someone built for it? That sucks

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Finished that 10 YouTube dev play. No internet so stuck on phone, but I never looked at those maps that way. Just wow.

I get the community created thing. Having to forever download to get in games gets old.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Doom 1 was less about throwing tons of monsters at you. It happened, but infrequently. That was more Doom 2's thing.

I would go so far as to say that not even Doom 2 went that far, and it was mostly the two TNT megawads and the more famous wads such as Memento Mori that gained that reputation for Doom.

• Options
    I wonder if nuts.wad can finally run smoothly on modern computers.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    I don't think it does.

• Options
    Actually it kinda does!

Truly, we live in the future.