As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DOOM: Ripping and Tearing After All These Years

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    No game will ever get the amount of mod support people seem to be expecting again. Businesses don't operate that way anymore. It's 2016. That's not a Bethesda thing, that's an "everybody" thing. If people were honestly expecting that, then they haven't paid attention to the games industry for the last fifteen years. If anything, SnapMap seems to be id giving people everything that they can in order to make custom experiences.

People were expecting it because this the company that was put modding on the forefront with the original Doom and continued to do so up until their very last game, industry trends be damned. Hell, they released full-goddamned-sources of their engines up to until Rage, which is above and beyond everyone else.

So yeah, while it's not completely unexpected, I'm not going to fault people for being salty over it.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    I think SnapMap is going to provide plenty of longevity. We'll see MOBA-like things, horde mode, raid bosses, co-op levels that add to a campaign, and other level design trickery. I'm guessing the community support will be even stronger than something like Skyrim just because it's easy to put something together.

Of course, this assumes the game sells well.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
  • Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

Was that an Arachnotron I saw near the end????? :D

Reddaye on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Little too subtle on the E1M1 homage. You were so close, guys!

• Options
    UhtredUhtred Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

Hype
    Reddaye wrote: »

Definitely was. I also remember early leaks mentioning it's return. Could see the Spider Mastermind from Doom 2 being the surprise final boss fight although I REALLY want an Icon of Sin remake.

Uhtred on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I liked the music in the leaked trailer better, but that was still friggin nice

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    No game will ever get the amount of mod support people seem to be expecting again. Businesses don't operate that way anymore. It's 2016. That's not a Bethesda thing, that's an "everybody" thing. If people were honestly expecting that, then they haven't paid attention to the games industry for the last fifteen years. If anything, SnapMap seems to be id giving people everything that they can in order to make custom experiences.

That's totally the point I made and why I don't care.

Although there are still some companies out there that respect the mod community and its players. Epic for one. Bohemia is another (completely different kind of FPS) that gives players incredible mod capabilities. But yeah, if you are looking to sell sequels and map packs to your customer base as often as possible then it's not really in your interests to support any of that.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Warcry wrote: »
    I liked the music in the leaked trailer better, but that was still friggin nice

also SAMPLE TEXT was a better catch phrase to be honest

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Uhtred wrote: »

Hype

Definitely was. I also remember early leaks mentioning it's return. Could see the Spider Mastermind from Doom 2 being the surprise final boss fight although I REALLY want an Icon of Sin remake.

Gotta save him for 'Doom II: But not the first Doom II.'

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular

Its also you look at when Doom was out, there was Doom and nothing else, so people got fanatical about modding it, it was new and exciting, and so of course hardcore and permenant communities developed, and then they grew up on it and it was always their base.

Im not saying more cant be done to support modding, but its never going to be the same as it was

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

Its also you look at when Doom was out, there was Doom and nothing else, so people got fanatical about modding it, it was new and exciting, and so of course hardcore and permenant communities developed, and then they grew up on it and it was always their base.

Im not saying more cant be done to support modding, but its never going to be the same as it was

I don't think this is accurate. Up until the Bethesda buy all id games had source code released for free. The company kind of set a standard. I'm willing to wait and see what Bethesda allows but I suspect it will be about the same as Rage.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »

I don't think this is accurate. Up until the Bethesda buy all id games had source code released for free. The company kind of set a standard. I'm willing to wait and see what Bethesda allows but I suspect it will be about the same as Rage.

The engines being opened sourced were always John Carmack's way of giving back. He started doing it because when he was younger, he said he always wanted to know how developers did something, but didn't have the code. Now that he's been at Oculus, I highly doubt id soft will do that anymore. Apparently, when he was still at id, he had to do a bit of talking with Zenimax's lawyers that they should still be able to do that and convince them that releasing the code was a good idea.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Releasing source code for games these days is difficult due to the crazy amount of middleware that goes into pretty much every AAA game on the market. You can't really open source something when half of it was licensed from five other companies.

On a side note, not having fullblown mod support for Doom is still bullshit.

• Options
    Hell, the sourcecode for doom had to be linux based initially because the DOS version had licensed code (for the audio) in it.

• Options
    Hell, the sourcecode for doom had to be linux based initially because the DOS version had licensed code (for the audio) in it.

Yeah, this is the amusing reason why we call all of the Windows versions "sourceports".

• Options
    edited May 2016
    So I discovered a cool reason to pick up a copy of Super 3-D Noah's Ark. It uses a cool sourceport called ECWolf, which is built largely on ZDoom sourcecode by a (G)ZDoom developer. Wisdom Tree uses the port to modernize Super 3-D Noah's Ark for modern systems and they give a nice chunk of the profits to Blzut3 the guy behind ECWolf. If you get it from itch.io then all of the money goes to ECWolf and you still get a Steam key.

So buying a copy of the game goes to support the further development of ECWolf, which aims to support all kinds of Wolf3D games, like the Blake Stone stuff and Rise of the Triad. And since the guy is also a (G)ZDoom dev, you are also supporting that indirectly. And you should also buy it because THE LORD WILLS IT. Test not his wrath.

Drake on
  • Options
    Releasing source code for games these days is difficult due to the crazy amount of middleware that goes into pretty much every AAA game on the market. You can't really open source something when half of it was licensed from five other companies.

From my experience on the enterprise level, a lot of software companies use open source tools/software nowadays. Maybe the gaming community has some catching up to do.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    So I discovered a cool reason to pick up a copy of Super 3-D Noah's Ark. It uses a cool sourceport called ECWolf, which is built largely on ZDoom sourcecode by a (G)ZDoom developer. Wisdom Tree uses the port to modernize Super 3-D Noah's Ark for modern systems and they give a nice chunk of the profits to Blzut3 the guy behind ECWolf. If you get it from itch.io then all of the money goes to ECWolf and you still get a Steam key.

So buying a copy of the game goes to support the further development of ECWolf, which aims to support all kinds of Wolf3D games, like the Blake Stone stuff and Rise of the Triad. And since the guy is also a (G)ZDoom dev, you are also supporting that indirectly. And you should also buy it because THE LORD WILLS IT. Test not his wrath.

I'd rather just donate the money straight to Blzut3.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »

From my experience on the enterprise level, a lot of software companies use open source tools/software nowadays. Maybe the gaming community has some catching up to do.

Off topic, but we recently constructed a tissue tracker for the hospital near here as a final project for school.

Apparently they don't want open source software because it's open source and icky, but they're cool with not having the whole thing encrypted. Their intranet isn't even HTTPS.

Like wha?

• Options

There is so much middleware in modern game development because budgets are growing so fast that it makes more sense financially to pay someone else to use their software for some specific purpose than it does to make your own. One of the most popular pieces of middleware (used in game development as well as film) is literally named SpeedTree, and all it does is create realistic looking trees and plants that get thrown into a game level or into the background of a movie shot.

There are people who get up in the morning and go to work where they spend day after day figuring out new ways to make more realistic looking CG bushes and trees.

• Options

There is so much middleware in modern game development because budgets are growing so fast that it makes more sense financially to pay someone else to use their software for some specific purpose than it does to make your own. One of the most popular pieces of middleware (used in game development as well as film) is literally named SpeedTree, and all it does is create realistic looking trees and plants that get thrown into a game level or into the background of a movie shot.

There are people who get up in the morning and go to work where they spend day after day figuring out new ways to make more realistic looking CG bushes and trees.

It certainly takes a while. Do many game devs contribute to open source projects? I think large enterprise companies spend a bit on contributing to open source projects nowadays.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Drake wrote: »

I'd rather just donate the money straight to Blzut3.

That's basically what an itch.io purchase is. He gets all the money and you still get a steam key for Super 3-D Noah's Ark, which honestly, the more I see it the more it looks like silly fun.

I mean, look at this mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TVkzeAEWHo

Drake on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    So, is this a sequel to the original Doom series? The launch trailer gives that impression. The space marine's suit is in a shrine.

• Options
    UhtredUhtred Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    So, is this a sequel to the original Doom series? The launch trailer gives that impression. The space marine's suit is in a shrine.

The robot dude saying "So you've returned" makes me think it's actually a direct sequel, yeah.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

The robot dude saying "So you've returned" makes me think it's actually a direct sequel, yeah.

This is making me want to get it now. It might have an interesting story.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular

Hey now let's not get too carried away here.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    The plot details in the trailer line up with a plot leak I read online a while back. It's not exactly classic literature, but it sounds like it goes interesting places.

From what I remember:
    The demons really hate/fear doomguy and have him locked up. To them he's basically like a force of nature that purges hell whenever they get out of line. Sounds like it might cross multiple timelines/dimensions or something .. one eternal doomguy watching over us all.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    They shouldn't have killed his rabbit. It's on them.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »

my favourite part of the gameplay demo was where they were like LOOK GUYS DONT WORRY WE DIDNT PUT ANY STORY IN DONT FUCKING PANIC THE STORY IS TAKING MAD BACKSEATS HERE WE JUST WANT TO ASSURE YOU THIS GAME WILL BE STUPID AS HELL over and over again

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »

my favourite part of the gameplay demo was where they were like LOOK GUYS DONT WORRY WE DIDNT PUT ANY STORY IN DONT FUCKING PANIC THE STORY IS TAKING MAD BACKSEATS HERE WE JUST WANT TO ASSURE YOU THIS GAME WILL BE STUPID AS HELL over and over again

Well to be fair their audience is like that Simpsons focus group that wants everything and nothing all at once.

https://youtu.be/yGsHq-mZI8U

• Options

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the player returning from Hell, based on the "Only person to walk both worlds and live." comment.

• Options
    im putting my money on doomguy being eternal

his forever squinting and grunting face carried in the heart of every grim faced space marine to walk the cosmos

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Like Marathon Infinity but stupid.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

Doom 3 had a bit about the events of the first doom games having happened in the past. The demonic invasion happen in Doom 3 is just one in a repeating series.
    Just like The Matrix.

Here is a mural of the original "chosen one".

dqref1.jpg

I assumed they were running with that as a context to keep rebooting the same game.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think the ideas of 'alternate continuity' has saturated popular culture enough that everyone will get it. Doom 1-2 involved a full-scale invasion of Earth by the forces of Hell, Doom 3 didn't really mention that, but there's certainly room for the idea that Hell transcends universes or whatever and can attack alternate versions of Earth. Alternate reality, separate continuity... both fine choices, whatever. I don't think there needs to be any in-universe story elements that ties the different continuities together. Same story, told at different times in different ways, that's all.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfnhMX5kZ6E

DOOM running on the GeForce GTX 1080 with Vulcan API. This is the first PC footage I recall seeing lately (if ever).

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfnhMX5kZ6E

DOOM running on the GeForce GTX 1080 with Vulcan API. This is the first PC footage I recall seeing lately (if ever).

Why do I even buy consoles anymore...

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Do you even have a monitor that can do greater then 60 frames?

Does 120hz make a difference?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Can a console even do 30FPS consistently?