As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Government 2.0: Digital Boogaloo

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    louis ck just released his new special for online purchase and the website is overloaded

IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN

WHEN WILL THIS OBAMACARE NIGHTMARE END

bless you for being my herald

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Avraham wrote: »
    Yeah they don't like the post office, but they can't get rid of it.
    Uh, they seem to be doing a pretty damn good job of getting rid of it, actually. The entire reason USPS runs at a loss and is thus preparing to gut itself presently is because back in those halcyon days of Bush II Congress mandated that the Post Office must prefund 100% of their future retirees' benefits. Which is something no other organization, public or private, does on account of it being pointless and insane.

Spoiler Alert:

The Republican Party doesn't actually give a shit

fixed?

If only

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Avraham wrote: »
    Yeah they don't like the post office, but they can't get rid of it.
    Uh, they seem to be doing a pretty damn good job of getting rid of it, actually. The entire reason USPS runs at a loss and is thus preparing to gut itself presently is because back in those halcyon days of Bush II Congress mandated that the Post Office must prefund 100% of their future retirees' benefits. Which is something no other organization, public or private, does on account of it being pointless and insane.

which they did entirely because the post office is actually the very best example of the government providing an incredibly valuable service while co-existing with private businesses that do essentially the same thing

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Oh, also just because I saw it posted earlier:

We haven't had 17 government shutdowns. We've had 2. There are other cases where funding bills have not been passed in time, but before the 80s that just meant the government kept on doing its thing while it waited for the paperwork to get updated, it didn't actually cut off funding or close down offices or leave people out in the cold, except occasionally for one or two specific agencies that were targetted. The government's been shut down twice, and both times are because of Republicans in Congress.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Oh, also just because I saw it posted earlier:

We haven't had 17 government shutdowns. We've had 2. There are other cases where funding bills have not been passed in time, but before the 80s that just meant the government kept on doing its thing while it waited for the paperwork to get updated, it didn't actually cut off funding or close down offices or leave people out in the cold, except occasionally for one or two specific agencies that were targetted. The government's been shut down twice, and both times are because of Republicans in Congress.

Uh, three times sir.

One during the Clinton Presidency, one now, and one during the Bartlet Presidency.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Weaver wrote: »

Fuuuuuuck. It's like watching America crumble in real time.

It's like watching the Republicans and America play the choking game.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I feel asleep at 10:00 pm. Woke up at 1:30 am and have been up ever since. I get up to go to work at 7:30. And the R key on my keyboard just popped off and won't go back on. WTF?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular

How about we have John Boehner and Michelle Bachmann play the Crying Game instead?

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »

How about we have John Boehner and Michelle Bachmann play the Crying Game instead?

I see you found my Rainbow Brite diary; return it to it's place of origin, would you kindly?

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    I was awake last night just being mad at the whole situation. And worried too, since my wife is currently furloughed.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    The inversion in the treasury yield curve is ridiculous. I'm hearing that clearing firms aren't accepting treasury bills as collateral without a significant premium.

They're all idiots.

I know a bunch of traders and hedge fund guys who've decided they're never giving money to any Republicans ever again.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    The inversion in the treasury yield curve is ridiculous. I'm hearing that clearing firms aren't accepting treasury bills as collateral without a significant premium.

They're all idiots.

I know a bunch of traders and hedge fund guys who've decided they're never giving money to any Republicans ever again.

Truly, this shit is bananas.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013

They're all idiots.

Yep, maybe the Koch brothers can withstand this sort of shenanigans but the majority of fiscal conservatives (read: moneyed individuals who don't want to be taxed so much) are not happy at all with this nonsense. My stepfather and his golf group are about as card carrying Republicans as you can get and usually toe the party line as much as possible. All of them are livid with the House right now.

They don't want the ACA, of course. Just none of them think it's at all worth the economic damage even in the worst case scenario.

Enc on
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I didn't realize it was possible to hate Michelle Bachmann more than I already did before this thing started. Every time I see her on television I just want to throw something.

The clip of her kissing a veteran like he's a puppy at the WWII memorial just drove me nuts.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    The short term treasury bill market has nothing to do with America's borrowing power or the interest it pays on that borrowing

that graph is a reflection of the cost of dumping treasury bills to other people before they reach maturity on October 31st

default remains unlikely, the House has already passed a bill to guarantee and pay all treasury bills that would come due during a prolonged debt ceiling fight

tbh buying those october bonds would be a pretty sweet bet

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    At least she doesn't represent your state

She is the only politician Minnesota is known for and everyone here but her district hates her

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    The short term treasury bill market has nothing to do with America's borrowing power or the interest it pays on that borrowing

Check out the 4 week yield on the 10/3 auction vs the 4 week yield on the 10/10 auction.

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/RI/OFBills

The US is absolutely paying a higher rate on treasury bills this week than it did last week.

• Options
    edited October 2013

Check out the 4 week yield on the 10/3 auction vs the 4 week yield on the 10/10 auction.

The US is absolutely paying a higher rate on treasury bills this week than it did last week.

yeah but 4-week bonds are not how the united states finances its perennial bazillion dollar budget deficit

I would like to see how many of these things they actually sell compared to 1+ year bonds

Jasconius on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    so yesterday I heard that default wouldn't matter because the US could still totally pay its bills because paying the bills just means paying the interest on the debt and the US absolutely takes in more than enough money each month to pay the interest on the debt so it wouldn't even be default because the bills would still be getting paid

because the guy on the radio has a better understanding of economics and the impact of failing to raise the debt limit than the incredible vast majority of economists across the entire world who say failing to raise the debt limit would basically be the worst possible outcome

I wanted to yell at the radio

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

She is the only politician Minnesota is known for and everyone here but her district hates her

hey now, Minnesota is also known for electing a professional wrestler as governor

• Options

hey now, Minnesota is also known for electing a professional wrestler as governor

and society has still not fully reimbursed the cast of Predator for their landmark performance

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Saw this fascinating tidbit today

didn't realize the deficit had been reduced that much

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Sent an email to Ted Poe. He is not technically my Rep, but he's only a few blocks away. I'm currently in Sheila Jackson Lee's district.
    I've seen several Republicans claim to get a lot of emails and letters saying "keep up the good fight". Well, I'm sending one that says the opposite. Shutting down the government to try and force a one year delay in a law that was passed years ago, and passed review by the US Supreme Court, is incredibly foolish. This shutdown does actual harm to actual people. My friend's dad is furloughed without pay while you guys bicker and grandstand. NASA missions and Antarctic research are in jeopardy. The CDC and FDA are partially closed while a possible salmonella outbreak is occurring. WIC vouchers are going unpaid, which means children are going hungry. NIH research is on pause, some long-term experiments with live specimens are in danger of being cancelled. This website has more information if you care to learn the effects of your temper tantrum:
    http://labs.enigma.io/shutdown2013/

Cut it out.

Thanks for the website @Weaver

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    on furlough? get Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri for free
    Send an email to thanksobama@gog.com with your picture holding the official furlough letter you received, before Friday 11 October 2013 at 12:00 EDT and we'll give you The Guild: Gold Edition, Capitalism, Capitalism 2, Tropico: Gold Edition, Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire, Theme Hospital, and Redneck Rampage free.

• Options
    On furlough? Play games where YOU get to be the government!

Love it. :D

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Send an email to thanksobama@gog.com with your picture holding the official furlough letter you received, before Friday 11 October 2013 at 12:00 EDT and we'll give you The Guild: Gold Edition, Capitalism, Capitalism 2, Tropico: Gold Edition, Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire, Theme Hospital, and Redneck Rampage free.

Nice.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

Everyone go read the promo blurb on the website, it's pretty great.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Sent an email to Ted Poe. He is not technically my Rep, but he's only a few blocks away. I'm currently in Sheila Jackson Lee's district.
    I've seen several Republicans claim to get a lot of emails and letters saying "keep up the good fight". Well, I'm sending one that says the opposite. Shutting down the government to try and force a one year delay in a law that was passed years ago, and passed review by the US Supreme Court, is incredibly foolish. This shutdown does actual harm to actual people. My friend's dad is furloughed without pay while you guys bicker and grandstand. NASA missions and Antarctic research are in jeopardy. The CDC and FDA are partially closed while a possible salmonella outbreak is occurring. WIC vouchers are going unpaid, which means children are going hungry. NIH research is on pause, some long-term experiments with live specimens are in danger of being cancelled. This website has more information if you care to learn the effects of your temper tantrum:

Cut it out.

Thanks for the website Weaver

Edited to show all the representative will actually read of your email.

:rotate:

• Options
    Fyndir wrote: »

Cut it out.

Thanks for the website Weaver

Edited to show all the representative will actually read of your email.

:rotate:

I'm sure. It's as much for me as it for him.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Saw this fascinating tidbit today

didn't realize the deficit had been reduced that much

Of course, the House Majority Leader refuses to acknowledge that the debt has dramatically lowered and still uses it as an example of one of Obama's failures to compromise.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    the deficit has dramatically lowered from "ridiculously high" to just "very high" through means that democrats unanimously oppose

there are still long term budget issues that the the Democrats seek to do nothing about. That graph boldly ends at 2018. Check out how it looks when it goes to 2030 under the scenario that Medicare is not reformed

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

Everyone go read the promo blurb on the website, it's pretty great.

That was pretty funny.

Then I read the forum post underneath it where a dude said CDprojektRED should "stay out of our politics" because they are in poland.

Then I laughed again until I realized that dude was serious.

• Options
    edited October 2013

yeah but 4-week bonds are not how the united states finances its perennial bazillion dollar budget deficit

I would like to see how many of these things they actually sell compared to 1+ year bonds

Bills are usually around 1.5 billion, notes are around 7.5 and bonds are 1.3. You can get the data from the debt outstanding page on the Treasury site. SIFMA also has a breakdown somewhere.

If the Treasury is issuing bills then it's using that to finance the deficit. Saying that it doesn't is just wrong.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    We've operated with a deficit for all but a handful of years, and the majority of the policies that lower that are the very ones that Republicans are currently or previously trying to get overturned (such as the top percentage tax rates). Worries about the deficit are more relevant during the periods of mass decline where nothing is getting corrected or things are actively getting borked (historically, during Republican presidencies primarily due to unfinanced wars and top quintile tax cuts).

It's a hollow argument. If the debt was a serious concern taxes would be raised in relation to real world need on almost all areas of taxation (most taxes haven't grown relative to their need, for example see the Gas Tax which has remained the same 18c since 1995), boost infrastructure spending, and pass actual jobs bills that encourage the tax base to get back to work and generate revenue. All three of these actions have shown to considerably reduce deficit spending in both short and long term.

• Options
    Debt is one thing, but 40% of the US budget being financed during what is essentially as close to peace time as we'll ever get again is ridiculous. Even if the money is cheap.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Debt is one thing, but 40% of the US budget being financed during what is essentially as close to peace time as we'll ever get again is ridiculous. Even if the money is cheap.

I wanna say you're missing a 'by military spending' in there, but I'm not sure.

• Options

Exactly. Taxes are way too low. Across the board, but mostly on the top two quintiles. our taxation is essentially frozen at the same rates or lower as 1979, despite modern needs for infrastructure, social support, and military spending balooning with actual costs during the last 30 years. If you look at any other first world country in the entire world you will not find lower taxation across the board than in the US, and while that delicate balance can be a good thing when properly managed it isn't a blank check for cutting all taxes and demanding all the same costs.

And before you get into the "but but, cut the costs" nonsense, remember that if the argument that cutting welfare and support spending was the actual solution here then something like the ACA should be widely supported by the right as it allows a huge opportunity to lobby for pushing things like medicare and medicaid into those exchanges and off the federal dole, which was the reason most of these policies were originally proposed by the late 1990s Republicans.

This discussion has been closed.