As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Republic of Thieves is out?! also other book talk

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I finally finished reading Dan Simmons's 'The Terror'. Only took me about ten months.

Then requested suggestions from people on Facebook as I find that's a good way to get put onto books I would never come across by myself. So now I am reading 'Engleby' by Sebastian Faulks. So far, seems good.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Lockout wrote: »
    so the lady friend recommended Tight Little Stitches in a Dead's Back to me a while back, and I just recently got to reading it

it's a short story that can be found here

http://www.apex-magazine.com/tight-little-stitches-in-a-dead-mans-back/

it's fuckin weird and disturbing. after I read it, I was torn between feeling like it was both intriguing and unnecessarily horrible

Wooow

Thanks for this recommendation, I'm using it in the Halloween thread tonight.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I mean it is actually also one of the more horrible things I've read, for sure. But it's the kind of horrible that sort of begs to be shared...

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    1384077_10153350027480455_1755068681_n.jpg

when did this happen

why did no-one tell me

have there ever been any releases that totally snuck up on you

also TALK ABOUT LOCKE LAMORA AND OTHER BOOKS HERE

FUCK

YES

• Options
    Nngh.

I just read a really spectacular short story, guys.

Andre Aciman's Abingdon Square is just... very near to perfect. It is a piece about love and relationships and hidden things. I'm so sorry that the entirety isn't available to read online. If you can get a hold of Granta 122: Betrayal, it's in there.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Joe Abercrombie is writing a new trilogy of young adult books, not set in the "Circle of the World"

(First Law spoilers)
    We're really never going to see anyone break their foot off in Bayaz' ass :(

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I've been reading Lies of Locke Lamora and I am at chapter 14 and I just realized Locke is going to have to do a
    Kansas City Shuffle mixed with Payback/Enemy of the State.

This is a good book.

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I've been reading Don DeLillo's White Noise. It's good, and I get what it's going for, but it mainly makes me wish I was reading Infinite Jest again.

David Foster Wallace cited it as an influence, and it's immediately apparent why, but l like what Wallace did with the subject matter much, much more. Wallace viewed media overconsumption through a very humanistic lens, as just another manifestation of addiction-as-coping-mechanism, whereas White Noise sometimes comes off as ludditic whinging.

As always, though, it's really interesting to read a work about the fear of media saturation that came out in a pre-internet era. Just shaking my head, going, "Oh, honey, you have no idea."

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    ooooohhh fuuuuck republic of thieves is out?!?!

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have put Engleby on hold while I read The Last Argument of Kings.

Could he not have started the book any other way than another 5 pages of Glokta's various joints and limbs cracking and spasming and oh my god I get it. In fact I got it a short way through book one, this is book three, you can stop reminding me.

Starting to think Abercrombie actually just has some sadism fetish and gets off on describing a person in pain.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    smof wrote: »
    I have put Engleby on hold while I read The Last Argument of Kings.

Could he not have started the book any other way than another 5 pages of Glokta's various joints and limbs cracking and spasming and oh my god I get it. In fact I got it a short way through book one, this is book three, you can stop reminding me.

Starting to think Abercrombie actually just has some sadism fetish and gets off on describing a person in pain.

Having read all his books,

yes

Not sure what that says about me when I love them.

THESPOOKY on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Liking Republic of Thieves a whoooole lot
    Locke and Sabetha have one of the better relationships, both the before of flashbacks and the after of the present stuff, I've read in quite a long time.

And I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a single usage of the word "fuck" in the entire book so far.

• Options
    Liking Republic of Thieves a whoooole lot
    Locke and Sabetha have one of the better relationships, both the before of flashbacks and the after of the present stuff, I've read in quite a long time.

And I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a single usage of the word "fuck" in the entire book so far.

I'm not sure which is crazier

Sabetha finally being in a book or no excessive fbombs

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I'm finished with RoT and I'll go the opposite and say that Sabetha - Locke is terrible and every scene they were together was awful.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    @Cilla Black I don't know how far in you are but they're using the f-bomb a-plenty

• Options
    Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    Oh shit

and I just finished re-reading the first two

Looking forward to more Jean Tannen badassery

by the way, do you read his name as Jean = Gene, or Jean = Frenchy sounding?

• Options
    I've been reading it as "Gene"
    I tried a French pronunciation on this third book but it just isn't sticking

• Options
    EradiKateEradiKate Registered User regular
    According to the author, it's pronounced in the Frenchy way.

Not that that's stopped me.

PAX East Attendee. Professional Tabletop Gamer. Donut Enthusiast.
  • Options
    Can anyone remind me briefly what happened in Before They Are Hanged? I've been trying to find a synopsis but all I can find are spoiler-free reviews.

Specifically
    where did Bayaz et al go again, and why? I kind of remember what was happening in the north, not so much what Glokta was doing, and have no memory beyond Logen, Bayaz etc going on some journey, and Ferro and Logen having a thing, and Jezal getting hurt.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Can anyone remind me briefly what happened in Before They Are Hanged? I've been trying to find a synopsis but all I can find are spoiler-free reviews.

Specifically
    where did Bayaz et al go again, and why? I kind of remember what was happening in the north, not so much what Glokta was doing, and have no memory beyond Logen, Bayaz etc going on some journey, and Ferro and Logen having a thing, and Jezal getting hurt.
    Bayaz & Crew go to the western edge of the world to find the Seed, through the ruined capital of the Old Empire, but they end up finding jack shit

Glokta nearly defends Degoska, kills all of the local authority except the general and Ida, whom he frees because she's got that apple bottom. Then he scoots under Sult's orders and is welcomed by the Arch-Lector as a hero. Oh, and he kills an EEATAAAAA

The Union gets its shit wrecked by Bethod; West and Ladisla escape with the Dogman (until West pushes his rapey ass off a cliff)

THESPOOKY on
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I started reading Infinite Jest in May and I'm onlye about 50% through it. I keep putting it down and not reading anything at all for weeks.

Not sure if I should just try powering through it or read something easier for a while. My backlog is getting quite huge.

• Options
    He who has a large backlog of books has many happy days ahead

I'm pretty sure Buddha said that

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Cimmerii wrote: »
    I haven't really heard of the Locke Lamora series before. Is there any series it is comparable to? Even in terms of style or prose.
    Though book thread recommendations have yet to steer me wrong.

Glancing through the thread, I realized that no one answered this directly.

I can't think of another series that it's really comparable to, but it's like....the first book is fantasy Ocean's Eleven set in Elizabethan Venice. If that sounds good to you, check it out.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Flarne wrote: »
    I started reading Infinite Jest in May and I'm onlye about 50% through it. I keep putting it down and not reading anything at all for weeks.

Not sure if I should just try powering through it or read something easier for a while. My backlog is getting quite huge.

I'd do what you're doing. There's a lot of stuff that works better if you give yourself breaks in between to let your mind make connections, rather than trying to digest it all at once.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    if anyone else is reading the Johannes Cabal series

the last couple chapters of the third book are just a long string of being punched in the gut, getting super confused, and then left completely hanging

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Yup.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I just finished the latest in a trashy urban fantasy series that I read, and the last book ended in an AGHH abs this one ended in a worse AGHH and a cliffhanger.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The Republic of Thieves is now available in audiobook format

and, for some reason, this is the "cover":

51AlNISOl3L._SL175_.jpg

THESPOOKY on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    I just started listening to the Lies of Locke Lamora on audible. Its pretty good so far but its kinda hard to follow, or maybe there was just a time jump and i missed it.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    It skips around the timeline a lot, yeah. There is always an A and B timeline, and those flash back and forward sometimes.

THESPOOKY on
  • Options
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    The Republic of Thieves is now available in audiobook format

and, for some reason, this is the "cover":

51AlNISOl3L._SL175_.jpg

Thiiiiis is incredible

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    all of scott lynch's characters have the exact same voice

sorry, i like these books, it's just that's been bothering me for years and i finally put my finger on it

• Options
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

Specifically
    Bayaz & Crew go to the western edge of the world to find the Seed, through the ruined capital of the Old Empire, but they end up finding jack shit

Glokta nearly defends Degoska, kills all of the local authority except the general and Ida, whom he frees because she's got that apple bottom. Then he scoots under Sult's orders and is welcomed by the Arch-Lector as a hero. Oh, and he kills an EEATAAAAA

The Union gets its shit wrecked by Bethod; West and Ladisla escape with the Dogman (until West pushes his rapey ass off a cliff)

Man I don't remember any of that Glokta stuff.

Probably because all I can think of when I try to recall it is EVERYTHING HURTS.

There you go, Abercrombie, you are so repetitive with that stuff that there is literally no room left in my brain for any plot.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    The torture was the only appeal for me. Everything else felt hella lame. Oh God, I am so broken.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I skim through the repetitive parts. Might result in me missing something.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    A Dance With Dragons paperback should be in my hands by Wednesday hopefully.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    read something non-fantasy

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular

Do comic books count? Sorry I've been concentrating on school and catching up on some Marvel trades.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Do comic books count? Sorry I've been concentrating on school and catching up on some Marvel trades.

no!

• Options
    Read whatever you want

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
This discussion has been closed.