As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need help from TAMU grad in Visualization

Tidus53Tidus53 Registered User regular
Howdy fish Brewer is my name,

Hopefully if you're reading this than this means you're an alumni from Texas A&M University and ,after climbing Kilimanjaro and back, you graduated with a degree in Visualization. Allow me to start off by saying thank you for reading this and express my shock that TAMU students and grads are in this place. If you don't know what Visualization is, it's basically the best computer animation program in the country (Pixar hires students almost immediately after graduation) and it's only available at Texas A&M.

What I need help with is trying to get into the Visualization school by my Sophomore year. I already missed the deadline for the classes when I signed up in Fall 2013, but I was so late that I had to do Blinn Team (it's the equivalent of overflow schooling). Since this occurred I am now unsure of my odds of being able to enter into the Visualization program, I recall reading somewhere that its is difficult to enter the School of Architecture (which is the College Visualization falls under) with more than 30 credit hours, that and there is also the fact that I have to create a portfolio and I have no idea what level of art or professionalism they will accept as ideal for their school.

If there is anyone here currently in Visualization or knows someone taking it, or has gone down a similar path, please notify me, I could really use the help.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Have you talked to like, an advisor or a dean or whatever in the Vis school?

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Best computer animation department in the country? Someone from Ringling might think those were fighting words ;-)

Anyway, I don't know anything about the specific TAMU Visualization requirements, but the biggest requirement at Ringling was portfolio. You should head over to the Artists Corner and get some critiques - theres quite a few very skilled very helpful people over there.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    If you're looking for help with a portfolio, I'd suggest asking the Artist Corner. They'll give you honest critiques and really helpful feedback on your work and be able to point you in the right direction for your portfolio.
    If you make a new thread (as opposed to asking in the questions/discussion thread), be sure to post some of your work directly in the thread.

• Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    Go to TexAgs.com and post in the academics section or contact the university. The forums are active with staff members, but it might be better for such a specific question to be addressed to the faculty/advisors at the university.

Ringling and A&M are both world class but very different programs. TAMU does have great connections with Pixar and Dreamworks, but many schools are involved in these programs, though maybe not to the same extent. You also need to consider the types of programs (traditional school vs art school, technically driven vs. animation) and what that means for your career and lifestyle after your education. Price is significantly different too. Lots of questions and they probably aren't going to be answered on H/A!

Good luck. :-P

• Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    It is also very difficult to get into the architecture school and you might be better off obtaining an undergrad and doing a master's program in the visualization school. If you're good enough. :)