As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kick, Splode, [chat]

19899100101102104»

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I saw screenshots of the Phoenix Wright movie: The costumes look off, as in they look like costumes. Yes you can tell who's who easily, but it kinda breaks the immersion.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    does their evil have to politically correct?

It'd be nice if they were.

Unrelated to Bond, this just made me think of how I was sort of uncomfortable that they played the villain as a creepy bisexual. It's an old and dumb bad trope that didn't really add much beyond the queer guy being the evil one.

it added a lot of comic relief. That scene had the cinema in stitches.

javier bardem is one of the best Bond villains in decades, partly because of that scene

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    2012-02-29-Job-Decryption.jpg

Ronnie should have won an award for this one.

idgi

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Why... why wouldn't they just translate it to plan?

You encounter it relatively often in fansub circles, where they'll decide not to translate some word or concept because there isn't a direct English equivalent, like "senpai"

However, in this case, because some dumb fan-translation people thought it'd be "cooler" that way

Believe me when I tell you that I have seen fansub groups release 4000 word Socratic dialogues where they justify renaming something in their fansub release

Ugh, yes, I remember a readme accompanying an old fan translation of Bahamut Lagoon that included a short essay on why "herb" used as a healing item in pretty much every early console RPG was a mistranslation, and thus they would use the term "drug".

I mean, it's an easy thing to find yourself diving into - translating a card game with my friend from Japanese into English led to several discussions where we debated what word would be the best substitute, whether it was really the "right" way to translate something, and how one is supposed to do a simple translation of a concept like "second button" from Japanese - where it has a specific context - to English, where that context doesn't exist.

That context being that, at Japanese junior high school graduation, girls will ask for the second button from the jacket of the boy they like.

But man, sometimes these people just need to relax about Glorious Nipponese.

This isn't just a Japanese-to-English thing, though, it's basically "Welcome to translating anything ever".

Like, if you think that weeaboos sperg about translations you should see academia.

what is this academia you speak of

I have no idea about higher education

nor the intensity of the inconsequential that the ivory tower facilitates

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    should we make a new chat so no mods yell at us?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Geth, recycle the thread

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    @Donkey Kong will create the new thread
    @Quid is backup

This discussion has been closed.