As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NaNoWriMo is over, but the writing don't stop

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    good luck all

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Little shy of 700 words done, first passage completed. Start on my second on the way home.

That means I got a couple hundred words out today at the office between posting and compiling and silly computer breaks, but not sure if I'll manage more or less than that on a regular basis. Weekends will probably be my crutch, I think.

10,000 words by Monday morning? Who knew my university education would become relevant only once I had 10 years experience in an office environment.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I have character motivations for most of my main cast. I don't think I can come close to telling the story I want to tell with one novel, though. Like, most of the time I've spent planning this story, it's been a comic book (even though I think I'd be able to pace it better as a TV series, even though I also know the odds of a TV series coming out of something like this are astronomically low).

So my main obstacle here is figuring out how to pace this in novel form (and how to adjust some of the visual stuff I see in my head when I think of this story into just words). I know a bunch of major events I want to have happen, and I know there are some story beats I want to hit, and I know, basically, how the big mystery at the center of it resolves.

One thing I've learned while working on this is that spending time thinking out your characters' personalities and motivations can really help in plotting. It seems simple, I guess, but spending five minutes working out who one of my characters would be changed the central mystery I'm working with in a way that unlocked tons of new story opportunities and solved some elements I found more problematic from a non-literary standpoint. And I did some bare bones research into native Hawaiian culture because I wanted to make one of my characters a native Hawaiian and I found some cool bits in there that sparked some more ideas and it's been fun thinking about all of this stuff.

I looked at some other ideas for nanowrimo this year, and some of them are ideas that I really like, but I had more trouble unpacking the characters and plots with those. This one...I feel like I know what the story is. I feel like I know who the main cast is. And I want to write it down and I want other people to see it. So...I'm doing this story instead.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i think i'm going to incorporate a page i had written into this nanowrimo and make it about a character i have been wanting to write more about

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Geebs if your thing is too big for a novel and kind of thought of as a comic book or tv show there is a push to make serial stories a thing again. So you can have it set up in the chunks you think of as episodes or whatever you want to call them and just break it up that way instead of just by chapter.

• Options
    well the biggest current problem is that the opening scene was going to be a wordless montage establishing the main cast and the main mystery and I had these ideas for scene transitions and

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I am enjoying this feeling of words just flowing out. I think I have about 1 more hour of this before I reach a mental roadblock or tire.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    two pages down, one more before bed

scripts are so much more fiddly, it's a lot harder for things to flow

gotta stop giving a shit about formatting

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    It hit like 11pm last night and I immediately started hating the idea I've had for the past month, so I stayed up late watching dumb shows on Netflix instead, bleh. Gonna just write it anyway, hopefully I come back around on it before long.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Oh god that pain of writing so badly and not letting yourself stop or go back and change it. My brain is screaming.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    It hit like 11pm last night and I immediately started hating the idea I've had for the past month, so I stayed up late watching dumb shows on Netflix instead, bleh. Gonna just write it anyway, hopefully I come back around on it before long.

Why do you hate it?

Add a shoot-out in a classy antiques store!

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    In lieu of finding a copy editor for my novella, I guess I'll just write that child murder story. November seems like a good enough excuse as any to get that going.

• Options
    okay

3 pages out of 90 done

a good start

really need to do my fucking character trees

• Options
    I've been recommending this to so many people that I think I'm gonna have to do it myself.

No guns in my story, but I guess I can do a swordfight/magic battle in a classy antiques store.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I figured I'd get started before I have to head to work.

167 words down.

IT HAS BEGUN!!!!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I've typed my first few paragraphs of my short story when I suddenly discovered that my auto-spell check is not working. Also, no matter what nonsense I type I can run my regular spellcheck without it discovering any errors. This annoys me.

Now I'm going to have to figure out how to fix this before continuing.

Edit: Aha, fixed it. There was a setting somewhere that had set my writing program's default language to "None" (which acts a heck of a lot like English except in terms of the Spellchecker apparently), so I set it to "English" and now it works.

Lars on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

When. I was doing comic scripts, CeltX was my go-to for formatting because it is so automated

• Options
    Sprinting begins now in the IRC, get yer butts in here and write things.

• Options
    bluh, what server is it again? I got time for maybe a couple of sprints before I have to leave for work.

• Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Gonna start on this when I get home tonight. What I'm doing probably doesn't quite qualify, because I'm not actually writing a novel, I'm writing a roleplaying module. My gf and friends are very into Call of Cthulhu, and we've done some one-off games from time to time, which led to me toying with some ideas for a module of my own I can run for them.

I don't know if I can find 50k words on the topic, but I've got to do character biographies, location descriptions, event planning, etc. I'm really bad at improvising, so the more I can get down on paper in advance, the better I can react without any railroading. And there are some aspects of the module that I'd like the players to find genuinely horrifying, which will be much easier if I've got words prepared in advance.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I dug back and found this earlier in the thread:
    Magell wrote: »
    As I do in every writing thread in SE++ I'm going to remind everybody that the Writing Block IRC room exists. I just go to it through mibbit.com or you can use whatever downloaded program you want that does IRC stuff.

The server they need to connect to is: irc.slashnet.org
    Then join the room: #thewritersblock

We don't always talk about writing, but if people ask questions we usually provide responses and in November we are pretty good about organizing writing sprints and actually talking about writing.

I'm just using mibbit.com since I don't think I have an IRC client installed.

• Options
    I just found out I'm working all weekend and also Chuck is on Netflix instant now so it's basically the perfect storm

Also this phone wrote sorbet instead of storm there because of swipe and that's terrific

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    You must make yourself write in order to get the joy of watching Chuck. 600 words gets you an episode and in just three episodes you've written your daily allotment of words.

• Options
    My IRC client is refusing to connect to the server for some reason. Will fix it later, don't have time now as I have to leave for work.

Just hit my target for today though, so yay! Hopefully get a few hundred more words done after work. Only 29 more days to go, then.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Words have been written. Not many, but they have been written. Now to write more.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Hey nerds, I'm doing this, and I'm not gonna flounder.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I just found out I'm working all weekend and also Chuck is on Netflix instant now so it's basically the perfect storm

Also this phone wrote sorbet instead of storm there because of swipe and that's terrific

SwiftKey! Get it now, sorbet me later :p

And I'm with Magell: the reward system for managing the whole writing vs doing other things is a good plan.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I just cannot write interesting visual descriptions. I mean, I can't even describe the way things look when I'm talking, either, so I don't know why I'd expect to be able to do it in writing. Like if you ask me to describe what my father looks like, I can't do it. I can picture him in my head, but it just comes out like, "black hair, male? White, I guess. Short-ish." God help us all if I ever need to give eyewitness testimony.

Starting to wonder if there's actually something wrong with my brain, some kind of agnosia thing going on.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Probably not. It's just a muscle you have to build, like any other. The description muscle. It's sort of pink and gnarly. Like a, um, muscle.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Description is a miserable thing for me, too. In the direct sense of 'this guy looks like this' and in the 'establish the scene quickly' sense.

50% of any time I spend writing is setting up a coherent beginning to a scene.

• Options

When. I was doing comic scripts, CeltX was my go-to for formatting because it is so automated

oh, I use Final Draft, which is crazy automated

I'm just OCD about it

• Options

oh, I use Final Draft, which is crazy automated

I'm just OCD about it

Ah, that I can totally understand

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I just cannot write interesting visual descriptions. I mean, I can't even describe the way things look when I'm talking, either, so I don't know why I'd expect to be able to do it in writing. Like if you ask me to describe what my father looks like, I can't do it. I can picture him in my head, but it just comes out like, "black hair, male? White, I guess. Short-ish." God help us all if I ever need to give eyewitness testimony.

Starting to wonder if there's actually something wrong with my brain, some kind of agnosia thing going on.

Fun fact

You odn't really need to be able to describe things visually in order to write well

Some schools of writing actually hold that not doing so lets the voice of an action or a character speak more clearly without using the crutch of visual aide

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I AM A GOLDEN GOD

BOW BEFORE ME, MORTALS, THE WORDSMITH WHO IS OVER THE AVERAGE AND NOT DONE FOR THE DAY
    i'm not gonna burn out, i've barely even been lit up

this is finally giving me the motivation to write

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

Fun fact

You odn't really need to be able to describe things visually in order to write well

Some schools of writing actually hold that not doing so lets the voice of an action or a character speak more clearly without using the crutch of visual aide

Think that's going to depend heavily on what you're writing.

Spec fic demands some amount of description--especially the further it gets from traditional spec fic trappings.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Speculative fiction? I mean, kind of. But not really?

The amount of actual physical description Gene Wolfe gives tends to be pretty normal, but the gulf between his aesthetic and that of most fantasy and sci-fi is vast and mighty and terrible

You can make sparse descriptions work to your favor if you are careful and crafty. It's hard, but it's doable, and it's a joy to read

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Speculative fiction? I mean, kind of. But not really?

The amount of actual physical description Gene Wolfe gives tends to be pretty normal, but the gulf between his aesthetic and that of most fantasy and sci-fi is vast and mighty and terrible

You can make sparse descriptions work to your favor if you are careful and crafty. It's hard, but it's doable, and it's a joy to read
    I don't know that there's a "right" amount of description, but for my own stuff my limit tends to be "how tightly can I do this and keep the story action moving forward?"

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Yo @Antimatter, how are you doing your little status bar for this thing in your sig?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Yo @Antimatter, how are you doing your little status bar for this thing in your sig?

copy the url of my sig, replace my username with yours

I did that with smof's