As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NaNoWriMo is over, but the writing don't stop

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I'll be on the IRC tomorrow from roughly 1pm to 6pm EST if anyone wants to sprint with me.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i am going to the mall tomorrow to drop off resumes, and then when i get back i will check for pressing things i need to do

and then i'll turn off the internet and write, write all day, only turning it back on to check word counts

i didnt do this

im the worst

I thought we agreed that Larry was the worst.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    guys we missed ML Appreciation Day and forgot to send @Quoth all the cookies :(
    we are ALL the worst

I wasn't going to crosspost this but then we started comparing worsts...

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Huge weekend. Posted two of my biggest days back to back to bring myself from almost 5k words down to within only a day behind. I've written over 7,000 words since leaving work Friday night. Today was worth 3,333 and I'm not about to change that for fear of angering some lord of the 3's spirit muse. Really happy with the effort, as it came easily and naturally and was comfortable, but really got me back into a position where I might be able to claw back at this total.

On the down side, I'm not even a third of the way through my plot, and it's looking like I might be writing some 120k monster? So I may end up just writing Act 1 this NaNoWriMo and having 2/3rds of a book left for next year and the year after? Not sure about that one. At the very least I want to complete part one and maybe I can skeleton the rest and work out what I want to do with it later.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I have "written" 24 scenes out of the 72 I have planned. By which I mean 24 scenes have at least something written for them, though several are a single paragraph and nearly all the rest are missing the framing stuff around the key action. So I have done well under 1/3rd of my story so far.

I keep meaning to write more scenes but inevitably end up going back and adding to the ones I've got. I keep having ideas for new scenes, too, but am resisting starting on them until I've got the ones I've already planned down. It's good because I'm writing stuff I need to write but frustrating that it doesn't feel like I'm making a lot of progress.

Also god everything is a mess. Gonna need to do so much re-planning before I can do a second draft.

Edit: on the upside I really like all my characters, so even if this story doesn't turn out to be salvageable I am hopeful about the idea of putting these characters into other stories.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Huge weekend. Posted two of my biggest days back to back to bring myself from almost 5k words down to within only a day behind. I've written over 7,000 words since leaving work Friday night. Today was worth 3,333 and I'm not about to change that for fear of angering some lord of the 3's spirit muse. Really happy with the effort, as it came easily and naturally and was comfortable, but really got me back into a position where I might be able to claw back at this total.

On the down side, I'm not even a third of the way through my plot, and it's looking like I might be writing some 120k monster? So I may end up just writing Act 1 this NaNoWriMo and having 2/3rds of a book left for next year and the year after? Not sure about that one. At the very least I want to complete part one and maybe I can skeleton the rest and work out what I want to do with it later.

This is what happened to me.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I'm about 4 pages behind but I'm feeling okay

on that note, christ on a bike am I gonna just be slashing scenes out of this thing when I get to draft 2

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

Or you could just keep writing until you finish the story.

• KiraKiraKiraKiraKiraKira Fishwife Registered User regular
    Only meant to keep the pace today, but once I started I just couldn't stop! So I hit 30k and I am back on track. Sweet!

But I would like to try and actually finish the story this nano, because I really don't want this to languish as an unfinished draft. So could be time to push through in the next few days, rather than sit on laurels. (On a side note, how comfortable are laurels to sit on, really?)

condiemint,pc,days.png
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Bluh. I've only written ~2.5k in the last three days. Today I run out of buffer. And no words are coming.

I dunno what I'm stuck on. Just can't think what to do for any of the scenes in my list, can't work out if the scenes are wrong or what I've already written is wrong or what. Still feel like my whole story is a mess, like all the different bits have no reason being in the same story.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Lemme read it.

Nooo it's an awful mess.

You can read the first chapter if you like. I've showed it to someone else so the shame seal on that chapter is broken already.

PM an email addy if you want it. But I shan't be held responsible for any brain aneurysms or eye haemorrhages caused by reading my sucky prose.

Wrote more than 4000 words today, my biggest day so far! I have a buffer again for the first time since week 1.

condiemint,pc,days.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I am behind, behind, behind. But still having fun and haven't had any zero days, so it's all good.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    between my job search, depression, therapy, and hanging out with friends in much needed socialization time, i dont see myself finishing this this month
    but that's okay
    i will finish it someday, sooner rather than later

Come socialize with us in the IRC! We are nice, and also we will make you write. It is a win/win.

I will probably be on for some sprints in a few hours after work, because I have written nada so far today. God I've gotten so lazy.

Sprints last night saved my arse, so hopefully tonight will do the same.

Starting sprints in about 3 minutes, if anyone wants to pop in.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    30K!

Starting sprints in a couple of minutes if anyone wants to make with the writing.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    I missed another day yesterday, so I'm going to try and pull a double again tonight when I get home from work.

Today has been my worst day so far. I've written 56 words and am now behind for the first time. But I'm just feeling a bit burnt out.

Hopefully a day off will refresh me and I'll catch up again over a few days.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    you gotta do your own thang some days. don't beat yourself up over it. tomorrow's another day.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    When I have long or late days at work I don't sweat making the word count, but I know that on the day off I have to make up for that, and as long as you keep that as a consideration you'll be in okay shape.

Shit I was like 5k words behind three days ago and I've had some time off and I'm going to end up less than 2k behind today because I made up the word count. No amount is insurmountable with planning.

so, nanowrimo says that it isnt impossible for me to catch up, and that with over three thousand words per day i can make the deadline

sounds good to me

Words have been hard to come by the last two days. Trudging on seems less than appealing right now, but it could be that I am just really tired and in the morning it won't seem so bad.

condiemint,pc,days.png
    That is probably what will happen. We all have the ups and the downs, as you know yourself.

I'll be sprinting off and on pretty much all day in the IRC so I can try to get more of a buffer for my vacation, so, come suffer with me. I mean have fun! Come have fun with me. *smiles* *stands too close*

i'm a little worried my writing is a bit too masturabatory

Hey @Quoth I just read the excerpt from your nano novel up on your blog and it looks cool. Of course, I could be biased because the main character's name is Kira and my first (and favourite) D&D character was Kira. But I'm pretty sure that in addition to having an awesome character name it is also really good. I really liked the spell casting mechanic when she is trying to locate the King.

condiemint,pc,days.png
    Thanks! The rest of the novel is presently a steaming pile of stink, but hopefully I can at least work with it when I finish. Also, I like her name a lot, too. :-P

edited November 2013
    Two days behind now. Woops.

On the upside, I feel like nearly 32k words in I am maybe slightly better at the mental side of writing - thinking about stories and characters. Still have no idea how to convert that into actual written words but hey, any improvement is quite nice to see.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    I've been sick all week with crazy-stupid sinus stuff. This was not in my NaNo plan.

As such, I've missed one day entirely, but I have managed to at least hit the daily goal each day since then. I haven't caught up for my missing day yet though. One week left for me to catch up and finish.

I haven't been quite as productive as I would have hoped. Only two and a half short stories so far (all of which will need heavy rewrites before I could show them to anyone), though I've also written random scenes from other potential works that I may or may not use in the future. To think I was worried that having six planned short stories might not be enough to get me through the month and now I'll be lucky to have finished the third (which is frankly turning out to be a bit too long to be a short story...over twenty pages in and nobody has died yet for what was originally supposed to be a murder mystery).

Unfortunately I don't think tomorrow will be a very productive day because...Doctor Who.

New record day! About to crack 3,000 words. Hopefully maybe take it up toward 4k before I hit the hay.

Provided my son ever falls asleep.

.... and he just started crying again.

edited November 2013
    Just finished my 11th chapter, Part I, and 4,300 words for the day. And with about 15 minutes to spare, too.

Feels good, man.

Fishman on
    I am no longer looking at the "words written" count, but at the "words remaining". Less than 15k to go.

Took me 9 days to do my first 15k. Have 8 days left in November. So it's gonna be tight, but god dammit I really want to get to 50k this year.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I almost have 4500 words written. :#

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I really need to stop with the brainstorming and get writing, but holy shit Icelandic names are the neatest
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_name
    A man named Jón Einarsson has a son named Ólafur. Ólafur’s last name will not be Einarsson like his father’s; it will become Jónsson, literally indicating that Ólafur is the son of Jón (Jóns + son). The same practice is used for daughters. Jón Einarsson's daughter Sigríður’s last name would not be Einarsson but Jónsdóttir. Again, the name literally means "Jón’s daughter" (Jóns + dóttir).
    In some cases, an individual’s surname is derived from a parent's middle name instead of the first name. For example, if Jón is the son of Hjálmar Arnar Vilhjálmsson he may either be named Jón Hjálmarsson (Jón, son of Hjálmar) or Jón Arnarsson (Jón, son of Arnar). The reason for this may be that the parent prefers to be called by the middle name instead of the first name; this is fairly common. It may also be that the parent’s middle name seems to fit the child’s first name better.
    In cases where two people in the same social circle bear the same first name and the same father’s name, they have traditionally been distinguished by their paternal grandfather’s name, e.g. Jón Þórsson Bjarnarsonar (Jón, son of Þór, son of Bjarni) and Jón Þórsson Hallssonar (Jón, son of Þór, son of Hallur). This practice has now become less common (the use of middle names having replaced it), but features conspicuously in the Icelandic sagas.

I have a fairly basic plot figured out-- cyborg reprobate crash-lands on a planet and immerses himself in the criminal world-- but I don't have any idea what motivates him.

• Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Obviously getting high on that sweet, sweet robot dope.

i lose
    better luck next year

• Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Don't worry about it, kid. This robo-dope will ease the pain.