As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NaNoWriMo is over, but the writing don't stop

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    You can't lose until Nov 30th. Stop trying to cheat at losing.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i lose
    better luck next year

What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

What the fuck happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    delta died at simanzi, dont let that imposter powered convoy fool you

• Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...

The tough get going!

"Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer?

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Ended up spending my November willpower getting other (unfortunately more important) things in order, so I think I'll do 50k in December to make up for it.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I am so fucking behind

gotta do 9 pages today to make it up, I'll aim for 6 today and 6 tomorrow, but eeeeesshhh

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I'm going to be honest, here: Day of the Doctor was not good for my productivity yesterday.

On the other hand, I got to see Night of the Doctor, Adventures in Time and Space, The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot, and the 50th anniversary special all in the same day, so I'm not calling the day a total loss.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • KiraKiraKiraKiraKiraKira Fishwife Registered User regular
    Plus we got to see the 50th special in 3D at a movie theater! (Does it make it even better that the theater is co-owned by Peter Jackson?)

I wrote no words yesterday. But not a big issue for me as I have a buffer, but @Fishman is behind.

condiemint,pc,days.png
    I wrote nine fucking pages today

75 out of 90

christ on a goddamn bike, you guys

good thing I came up to a big action sequence

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am making a concerted effort to catch up today, I hate being behind so close to the end. Figured if I could write 500 words an hour I would be on target by the time I have to go out this evening.

Failed to do 500 words in the first hour. But I might get to 1000 before the end of the second. Unfortunately I have a bunch of other things I need to get done today as well so it might not work out, but I can at least try.

YaYa wrote: »

75 out of 90

You're writing a script right? How many words do you get per page on average?

• WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    Man I am rooting for all of you guys so hard

You can do it, etcetera!

4SMZq.jpg
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Okay, final stretch to go. I still think I can do it.

I'm still recovering from being sick, and I missed a whole day due to Doctor Who, but then I got a bunch of writing done yesterday, so I'm less than a day behind schedule now.

I've stopped in the middle of my third short story because I was stalling out on it pretty hard and so I've moved on to my fourth one (the werewolf one). I did a little research on old trains, but ultimately created a fictional train (and rail company) for my story to take place on so I can have some leeway on the specifics (in case the presence of a werewolf isn't enough of an indication of a divergence from reality).

It is my hope that after Nano I can continue writing (or editing) at least a tiny bit each day, and then maybe by next Nano I will be prepared to try a full novel instead of a bunch of short stories.

smof wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »

75 out of 90

You're writing a script right? How many words do you get per page on average?

boy

uh

no idea, actually

maybe 300-400?

I know it's not as intense as NaNo but the format also requires you to be a lot sparser and it's a lot harder to just waffle or take up space with description

I'll count a couple of pages for you and see what the count is

huh, interesting

so, an average script page for me is about 250-300 words, but I tend to leave a lot of space on my pages just because it reads and looks so much quicker

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Man, I wrote 1200 words yesterday after football and I'm really hating them. Hate hate hate.

This is why I don't uusally write on monday nights. This is 90% useless crap, writing for word count, the literary equivalent of a cardboard meal. Some people do this all month?

Yes hello Fishman do you have an issue with my "creative process"

edited November 2013
    Aaaaah. 42k. Back on target. Record daily wordcount of 4k. One death scene, one MASSIVE chunk of exposition, and one entirely new POV character who wasn't in my plan and is just now showing up 5 days before the end.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to write a story about a boy who's having vivid dreams. He keeps leaving more and more of himself behind as his dreams become more vivid and wondrous, becoming more and more dead to the waking world, and when his mother tries to help him by making him keep a dream journal he starts to recover

But

He also starts to bring some of the dream out with him

dN0T6ur.png
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Aaaaah. 42k. Back on target. Record daily wordcount of 4k. One death scene, one MASSIVE chunk of exposition, and one entirely new POV character who wasn't in my plan and is just now showing up 5 days before the end.

Well done.

40k. 4 days remaining.

This is going to be close.

Is there a good guide for properly writing dialogue? As in, the format for crediting the speaker of each sentence.

I feel I have a lot of:
    "Yadda yadda yadda," said Tim.

"Yadda yadda yadda," said Jack.

"Yadda?" asked Tim.

"Yadda yadda," answered Jack.

It gets mixed up a bit, but I still feel I'm falling back on ending with 'said Tim' way too much, and want to try and revise it some next month during the editing phase.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    It is very rare to need more than "said"

Stylistic preferences will differ on this point, though

dN0T6ur.png
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    If you have a conversation between two people you really only need to tag the first two pieces of dialogue and from there people should be able to figure out that it's switching back and forth between the characters. I wouldn't use anything other than 'said' or 'asked' because anything else just feels like its there to be different and doesn't serve a purpose.

I also like to stick a tag in the middle of the dialogue when a character has more than a sentence. So it will read like

"Blah blah blah," said Tim. "Blah blah blah.

I keep going through these patches where I don't believe I'm going to finish.

Like right now.

There is no way I have another 6.7k of words left in me for this story. I can't even get 100 out.

I just want it to be ooooooover.

Flashback to something from a character's past that hasn't been seen yet?

The flashback itself may not survive the editing process, but writing it could help you get a better idea of where your characters are coming from, which can further help when revising the proper story. It would also be something a little more fresh to focus on if you're getting burnt out following the current plot.

I wrote a dream sequence earlier. That's how desperate I am.

Almost there... Hopefully tomorrow.

condiemint,pc,days.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I keep going through these patches where I don't believe I'm going to finish.

Like right now.

There is no way I have another 6.7k of words left in me for this story. I can't even get 100 out.

I just want it to be ooooooover.

Have Buddha decided that the number of trials and tribulations your character have been on is not a lucky number so magically whisk them off up into the air and drop them in the middle of an event.

This is literally what happens in Journey to the West.

You can do it.

Just put mine to bed. Not exactly my best work, and it'll need a ton of editing to even get to decent, but done has a satisfaction of its own.

• Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    One of the best or, at least, most elucidating things I've heard on the writing process, came from the gal who wrote The Poisonwood Bible. She said that she doesn't write pages from 0 to 100. She writes pages from -100 to 0.

You're going to lose some stuff. You should also listen to the BBC's World Book Club. It's never not engaging.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    I've found a good way of writing. Don't. I just stare at the blank page until it starts to shiver in fear. After a while it writes itself. At least that's the theory.

I have been sat here with my word document open since I woke up and I haven't written a single bloody word.

I am screwed.

Keep going @smof! I am cheering for you! Write a prologue, or an epilogue, or another dream sequence, one of your characters could have a psychotic break.

condiemint,pc,days.png
    My 50,000th word was "through." Suddenly like that word a lot.

condiemint,pc,days.png
    She always finishes before me.

...ladies.

edited November 2013
    Didn't write anything yesterday. But I got out of my funk today and managed 2k. Only 4.5 left to go.

I will try and do another 500 minimum at/after work tonight. Then tomorrow, aim for a big 4k day like I've had a couple of times this month. If I can do that I'll be finished a day early and can relax.

We'll see...

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    6 pages to go, right on track to finish on the 30th

wheeee