As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stop posting in this [chat] you maroons

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Wait, they have universities in Scotland?

Pfft. Edinburgh Uni pre-dates the USA by a couple of centuries.

Just ribbing on you bros across the pond.

Drinking isn't a major, you know.

Non-US universities don't do the major/minor thing. I have only the haziest idea of how that system works.

.. so you just go to university and someone picks a speciality out of a hat for you?

you apply to the specialty when you apply to go to the university. Like, you apply for nordic studies or molecular biology or whatever.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    A bunch of graduate schemes for next year have deadlines in November.

I gotta get my shit together and at least apply, right? I've decided some sort of paid apprenticeship/scheme for a decent company would be a good starting point after I graduate.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    What the fucking Hell?

BRUSSELS SPROUTS TASTE JUST FINE.

WHY HAVE YOU LIED TO ME MEDIA?!

haha yeah brussel sprouts are amazing

The farts they give you are pretty amazing too.

I guess some people find them too bitter or something, probably one of those super-taster things. Or just people who hate veggies in general.

But yeah...they are pretty good.

They are super bitter

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Elldren take your nonsense tastes out of here.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Non-US universities don't do the major/minor thing. I have only the haziest idea of how that system works.

.. so you just go to university and someone picks a speciality out of a hat for you?

you apply to the specialty when you apply to go to the university. Like, you apply for nordic studies or molecular biology or whatever.

That is often the case here

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Despite the lack of a proper moderator quorum I made a new chat. Go post there!

• Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

Pick a general concept you want to be knowledgeable in.

Take various courses generally related to that concept.

Graduate.

Collect unemployment.

Forgot 'borrow six figures'.

Not at a non-US university! ;D

i guess if you are in Glasgow it is borrow six fingers.

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Fuck I'm going to need more of these.

Here's what you do, right

You get them washed and parboil them

Then get a pan going with butter to coat and garlic nice and caramelized

Throw the sprouts in the pan until they get good and cooked

Make sure you get the leafy bits that fell off, too. They will be crispy and fuckmazing

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    They can turn bitter if you overcook them.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

You go to a university to study a specific course, there isn't this thing where you futz around for a couple of years studying whatever takes your interest that I understand happens in the US. You'll generally have some influence over the precise modules/classes that you take, but generally you will be constrained to classes relevant to the course you picked. Rarely, you will be able to add a minimal amount of courseload from outside the faculty you're studying in.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

That's what a major is.

Switching majors that are unrelated is hard.

Switch biology to chemistry isn't such a big deal, switching chemistry to art is.

Minors are basically "take enough of a course that you become somewhat knowledgeable in it." No one really recognizes minors so much as it's just a general conversation topic when talking about school. Some schools will make a note of a minor degree like that, though.

Double majors are a thing, though. But you just get two diplomas I think.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

You go to a university to study a specific course, there isn't this thing where you futz around for a couple of years studying whatever takes your interest that I understand happens in the US. You'll generally have some influence over the precise modules/classes that you take, but generally you will be constrained to classes relevant to the course you picked. Rarely, you will be able to add a minimal amount of courseload from outside the faculty you're studying in.

Nah, that's 100% what it's like in the US. You can tack on additional course load if you'd like.

Undeclared ("futzing around for a couple of years") never happens. Maybe for a semester. Mostly because they make you take generalized classes the first year.

Science, math, english, history -> then it starts focusing heavily on your degree path

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Liking Brussels sprouts is a genetic defect, for which there is no cure.

• Options

That's what a major is.

Switching majors that are unrelated is hard.

Switch biology to chemistry isn't such a big deal, switching chemistry to art is.

Minors are basically "take enough of a course that you become somewhat knowledgeable in it." No one really recognizes minors so much as it's just a general conversation topic when talking about school. Some schools will make a note of a minor degree like that, though.

Double majors are a thing, though. But you just get two diplomas I think.

the equivalent of switching majors here is basically that you stop studying and apply to study something else.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    My N7 hoodie has arrived. Now the whole world can know I am a NEEEEEEEEEERD

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i wanna fight u

poo
  • Options
    When I went to university before I went to ITT, switching majors beyond like "science->science" usually required you to get permission from the dean of students.

Biology to chemistry ain't no big thang.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    i wanna fight u

ok

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    I like this one better.

• Options

Nah, that's 100% what it's like in the US. You can tack on additional course load if you'd like.

Undeclared ("futzing around for a couple of years") never happens. Maybe for a semester. Mostly because they make you take generalized classes the first year.

Science, math, english, history -> then it starts focusing heavily on your degree path

I think you start higher education one year earlier than us (norway) so having general stuff kind of makes sense

for me I've had nothing but things strictly relevant to mechanical engineering from semester one

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    after ME3, ME is dead to me

• Options

I think you start higher education one year earlier than us (norway) so having general stuff kind of makes sense

for me I've had nothing but things strictly relevant to mechanical engineering from semester one

American freshmen are by and large barely literate and incapable of doing third grade math

• Options

Opposite for me. Amazing ride. Would play again.

• Options
    still, the idea of general knowledge being obligatory for higher education is kinda alien to me

if we wanted to study literature, we would be studying literature, and not law/maths/reservoir engineering/comparative politics

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    An hour and a half to get blood tests back.

And the machine I'm hooked up to beeps every five seconds to show it's on.

Chinese water torture.

• Options
    edited October 2013

game ends with creators taking a shit on the universe and giving the player the middle finger, the parts of the game I hated most are directly from the guy who is in charge now, so any future games are basically all going to be ME3's beginning segment, stupid dream sequences that the music is telling you are emotionally powerful, and bewildering context free endings (oh and you'll notice everything by mac walters had zero exploration or choice, every segment he took direct control over was completely linear)

override367 on
  • Options
    Yeah well I put like 200 hours into the Multi. I suppose my love of ME hasn't waned. If bad stories were enough to kill brands for me, I couldn't love Star Wars or most games, either.

• Options
    still, the idea of general knowledge being obligatory for higher education is kinda alien to me

if we wanted to study literature, we would be studying literature, and not law/maths/reservoir engineering/comparative politics

With the right structure it can be amazing

The historian will have insights into a given work that a literary critic will not and vice versa

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Minors are dumb in the US. My school literally had a math minor that was built into the CS major. If you did a CS major you automatically would have had the math minor, because the math minor required x hours of any math or CS course above level Y. CS major required x hours of CS courses over level Y. I asked around if it was intentional, and if I should pick out a different minor. the answer was "only if you are a dumbass"

steam_sig.png
  • Options

game ends with creators taking a shit on the universe and giving the player the middle finger, the parts of the game I hated most are directly from the guy who is in charge now, so any future games are basically all going to be ME3's beginning segment, stupid dream sequences that the music is telling you are emotionally powerful, and bewildering context free endings

This wasn't the impression I got at all.

• Options
    @abdhyius yeah I agree, general ed in college is ridiculous.

The file it under the guise of being well rounded.

Listen Holmes, I did that shit in high school, I think I can manage without it in college. Though medieval history was pretty great, I enjoyed that course a lot.

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »

With the right structure it can be amazing

The historian will have insights into a given work that a literary critic will not and vice versa

well, yeah, but it's still going to be a bloody lot of wasted time for the people who don't want or need that

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

game ends with creators taking a shit on the universe and giving the player the middle finger, the parts of the game I hated most are directly from the guy who is in charge now, so any future games are basically all going to be ME3's beginning segment, stupid dream sequences that the music is telling you are emotionally powerful, and bewildering context free endings

This wasn't the impression I got at all.

the ending to mass effect could have been spacegenie saying "NO SHEPARD YOU ARE THE REAPERS" and cutting to black and it would have had the same amount of catharsis

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

If my college experience is any indication, gen ed classes are really for "alright you were supposed to know this shit out of high school, we really can't give you a degree knowing that you're likely unable to write a goddamn paragraph"

• Options
    Well, if someone tries to argue about the ME3 ending with me while I have the hoodie on, I will just say, "I should go"

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    So generally with hydroponics, you have to black out the hoses and reservoir to prevent algae growth. I wonder if I couldn't just toss an algae-eating fish into the reservoir and make this an enclosed aquaponics system?

@tl dr no. most species of algae-eating fish (the most common type you see in pet stores) do not eat nearly enough algae and a large number of them would probably outgrow your enclosure.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I'm just saying that if Mac Walters still is in charge of the franchise, the next game is going to be linear poorly written crap by someone who legitimately looks to things like "the matrix revolutions" for inspiration

ME is basically Star Trek Voyager now

override367 on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

game ends with creators taking a shit on the universe and giving the player the middle finger, the parts of the game I hated most are directly from the guy who is in charge now, so any future games are basically all going to be ME3's beginning segment, stupid dream sequences that the music is telling you are emotionally powerful, and bewildering context free endings (oh and you'll notice everything by mac walters had zero exploration or choice, every segment he took direct control over was completely linear)

I had fun.

Lots of it actually.

So other than the ending I have no complaints.

• Options
    Love my ME hoodie.

• Options
    The worst matrix

fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.