As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where [Jobs] Grow on Little Jobbies!

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Today I am reminded why my original take on being a tech amounts to "testing the human limits of tedium as exercised on one's soul".

Hell Week has begun. @lonelyahava @HellaJeff

Ufft. That level of busy can save a lot of highschoolers from drugs

and turn a lot of adults straight to them.

Is it a fun show at least?

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    being a professional writer in an office is weird. i may work remotely this week because it's a lot of sitting around otherwise - it feels more like i'm getting paid for sitting here physically than I am for writing.

when i was coding, i'd get checked in with frequently. now, i'm here and people wave to me and it's oddly solitary.

at least i have Welcome To Night Vale.

• Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    A question about resume references, since last time I wrote one I didn't actually have any references

Would it be horribly impolite of me to include coworkers/supervisors as references? I don't want to ask them for permission really since the implication of "yes I'm looking for a new job" is kind of obvious (even given the current furlough; life will go on... eventually... I hope)

Or should I just say "References available on request" on the resume or something

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    Today I am reminded why my original take on being a tech amounts to "testing the human limits of tedium as exercised on one's soul".

The set is awesome.

The acting is not.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

The set is awesome.

The acting is not.

Would alcohol help their performances? Or perhaps a judicious mixture of Red Bull and Pop Rocks?

I only ask because I care.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    @Fencingsax

I am a teacher in Japan! Good luck on applying! If you have any questions about anything at all, please feel free to ask me.

Speaking of which, my weather app says my area is currently experience wind gusts of up to 101 km/h and I am still expected to walk into work today.

This should be fun.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Ledneh wrote: »
    A question about resume references, since last time I wrote one I didn't actually have any references

Would it be horribly impolite of me to include coworkers/supervisors as references? I don't want to ask them for permission really since the implication of "yes I'm looking for a new job" is kind of obvious (even given the current furlough; life will go on... eventually... I hope)

Or should I just say "References available on request" on the resume or something

Available upon request.
    There's no reason to put references on your resume. If you get that far, they'll ask you for them.

But you should absolutely give a heads up to your coworkers when that happens.

No one wants to be called out of nowhere being asked what it's like to work with Ledneh. That's just asking for them to say something that will take you out of the running.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    So, I'm considering dumping my employer's healthcare in favor of buying on the federal exchange. I don't qualify for a subsidy so I'll need to buy at full price, but it might still be advantageous to do so if I can get my employer's contribution given to me as cash instead. I feel like the logic is strong going into a negotiation, because healthcare is part of my compensation package, and I will be asking merely for the compensation to come in a different form (i.e. cash money dollah dollah bill y'all).

What might they come back with besides "lol no"? Is there any solid argument from their side that I might want to be prepared for?

are you sure what you're going to get is a) more affordable then what your employer is paying now, and b) coverage is the same/similar/better on the exchange and c) is the system going to actually work and let you sign up because it is still a clusterfuck from what I've read

It is a clusterfuck, yes. I'm planning ahead though, and there are a lot of variables still in play here, but it looks like there is a possibility that in November I'll want to negotiate this change effective Jan 1. Depending on how the numbers shake out, I could save between $50 and $500 every month, but only if I'm able to convert the entire employer contribution into cash.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    being a professional writer in an office is weird. i may work remotely this week because it's a lot of sitting around otherwise - it feels more like i'm getting paid for sitting here physically than I am for writing.

when i was coding, i'd get checked in with frequently. now, i'm here and people wave to me and it's oddly solitary.

I've had that exact experience! Or rather, I have it every week--my work lets me eCommute 2 days out of the week, but requires I come in the other 3. It's super weird, because I'm not in meetings and not interacting with people in a professional capacity (I mean, I chat with friends but we don't review each other's work or anything) on those days, just doing the same stuff I would from my couch. And so it's weird and kind of more solitary and isolating than it is when I'm at home. It's not bad per se (I like getting out of the house), but it's... weird.

• Options

The set is awesome.

The acting is not.

Would alcohol help their performances? Or perhaps a judicious mixture of Red Bull and Pop Rocks?

Unlikely. :(

• Options
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

I've had that exact experience! Or rather, I have it every week--my work lets me eCommute 2 days out of the week, but requires I come in the other 3. It's super weird, because I'm not in meetings and not interacting with people in a professional capacity (I mean, I chat with friends but we don't review each other's work or anything) on those days, just doing the same stuff I would from my couch. And so it's weird and kind of more solitary and isolating than it is when I'm at home. It's not bad per se (I like getting out of the house), but it's... weird.

I'm really, really glad it's not just me!

I'm increasingly wondering how inappropriate it would be to work on other things in addition to work writing. Creatively, it's good to be able to switch off when I get stuck. But there's a Ben Franklin kind of satisfaction to spending hours staring at the same document.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ it sounds terrifying outside.

• Options
    minirhyder wrote: »
    Ledneh wrote: »

Available upon request.
    There's no reason to put references on your resume. If you get that far, they'll ask you for them.

But you should absolutely give a heads up to your coworkers when that happens.

No one wants to be called out of nowhere being asked what it's like to work with Ledneh. That's just asking for them to say something that will take you out of the running.

Thanks, that sounds good.

Leaves my resume feeling a bit short at one and a half pages, though. Blast.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    HR isn't even going to read a resume that's super-long, anyway. And I've always been told that it's understood that you'll provide references when and if they ask for them, so you don't even need to say they're available upon request.

But always, always, ask your references before you use them.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options

The set is awesome.

The acting is not.

I only wish I could walk into the theater and start heckling to brighten your day.

I'm quite good at talking shit; you can ask any number of my ex-girlfriends or former co-workers from the bar industry.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Shorter is always better on a resume. Always.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    MadEddy wrote: »
    HR isn't even going to read a resume that's super-long, anyway. And I've always been told that it's understood that you'll provide references when and if they ask for them, so you don't even need to say they're available upon request.

Again, thanks.

On another note, anyone here use clearancejobs.com? I signed up for the bloody thing but it keeps looping asking me for new passwords on login, even after successful registration.nevermind, a password reset made it take

Ledneh on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    I'm coming up on 10 years in my current job. Which I suppose is good in a way. But it's CS work and it's boring and sometimes I want to start fires just to get out of there. And while there are chances for promotion, the next job up is roughly 5 times the work, and 10 times the hassle for a 10% pay rise.

I was 22 when I got this job, and I never thought I'd be here when I was 32. What if I'm here when I'm 42? Or 52? I'm not even sure what else I could do now if I left.

I don't know if that's a dilemma limited to CS. I'm in IT, and I think roughly the same thing.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    MadEddy wrote: »

I have an anecdote I like to pull out for this one.

In the summer of my sophomore year in college, I got a call from the US Army. I had been listed as a reference for a guy who was... enlisting I guess? Anyway, they call me up and say that they have me down as a reference, so could I answer a few questions. I was caught completely off guard. I hadn't been warned beforehand, and, more importantly, I didn't even recognize the name.

Presumably, it was someone I had an acquaintance with in high school, but I could not for the life of me place the name. All I could say to the guy on the phone was, "this is embarrassing, but I honestly don't recognize that name." I've felt guilty about it ever since. He clearly thought enough of me to list me as a reference, but we obviously weren't friendly enough for me to have a lasting impression.

Moral of the story: always give your references a heads up... and make sure they actually who you are.

Sticks on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    We have received your application for the position of Art Intern-ART0000RV. We want to let you know that this position has been filled and/or closed. We encourage you to look at our other openings and apply for any other positions that may be of interest.

Additionally, we will retain your candidate file in our database; unless you notify us to the contrary in writing at recruiting@activision.com. We also invite you to visit the Career Section on our website regularly.

We thank you for your interest and wish you all the best in your career .

Sincerely,

Activision Recruiting Team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6gzOcTNKwE

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    We have received your application for the position of Art Intern-ART0000RV. We want to let you know that this position has been filled and/or closed. We encourage you to look at our other openings and apply for any other positions that may be of interest.

Additionally, we will retain your candidate file in our database; unless you notify us to the contrary in writing at recruiting@activision.com. We also invite you to visit the Career Section on our website regularly.

We thank you for your interest and wish you all the best in your career .

Sincerely,

Activision Recruiting Team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6gzOcTNKwE

That's a bummer. At least they let you know rather than leave you wondering though.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Agreed, that intel position I talked about?

Another temp agency I'm listed in gave me a heads up that the position is in final phases of hiring (I gave them the job number since they said they had a position and didn't want to double-dip. Luckily it was a different position.) The agency that put my name forward never told me anything.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    I went and walked around and virtually nobody is working on their current tasks. I forget how non-strict most offices are compared to how I was brought up.

It's.. it's probably not a big deal.

• Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    My bonus was enough to pay off the renovations we've been doing to the house and set a bit aside for a trip to Disney World!

Hooooray

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    man I put in for a transfer to the lumber department 3 months ago and was told I would be there as soon as the cashier pool was back up to par. well turns out they hired some other dude for the position who is the son of a manager who retired a couple months ago. pretty fuckin annoyed by this. so I'm kind of being forced into the plumbing department even though I don't want to be there. I mean I even had the lumber supe trying to get me there. fffffrrrffdv

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options

The set is awesome.

The acting is not.

I only wish I could walk into the theater and start heckling to brighten your day.

I'm quite good at talking shit; you can ask any number of my ex-girlfriends or former co-workers from the bar industry.

Much as I love you and appreciate the offer, I actually abhor heckling and hecklers. If I don't like a performance, I'll leave; I'd rather not make a scene and ruin it for everyone else.

Also, the optics of you, a white guy, heckling and/or berating performers who are not 1) white, and 2) guys, would not do you any favors.

• Options
    My bonus was enough to pay off the renovations we've been doing to the house and set a bit aside for a trip to Disney World!

Hooooray
    cool when are we going?

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Nikolai wrote: »
    man I put in for a transfer to the lumber department 3 months ago and was told I would be there as soon as the cashier pool was back up to par. well turns out they hired some other dude for the position who is the son of a manager who retired a couple months ago. pretty fuckin annoyed by this. so I'm kind of being forced into the plumbing department even though I don't want to be there. I mean I even had the lumber supe trying to get me there. fffffrrrffdv

Well son, first you have to prove you can handle that much wood. Why don't we step back to my office for a few tests.

CrackedLens on
  • Options

Hooooray
    cool when are we going?

In May! Star Wars weekends!

• Options
    I should just move to paint department so I can talk about caulk all day

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Feeling like shit right now since I managed to piss away my last job...

I need something positive and solid in my life and not just some escapism...

@Nocren

What happened, if you want to say?

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Just kill the idiot son. You need:

An axe.
    A drop sheet.
    A shovel.
    Some lye.

A Huey Lewis and the News CD.
    A clear rain coat.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

I'm really, really glad it's not just me!

I'm increasingly wondering how inappropriate it would be to work on other things in addition to work writing. Creatively, it's good to be able to switch off when I get stuck. But there's a Ben Franklin kind of satisfaction to spending hours staring at the same document.

I almost always have a non-work task open at the same time. The way I figure it is, I don't smoke, and I quit caffeine--and so the time my superiors take on cigarette/coffee breaks, I take on writing stuff.

But that's more justification than I've ever need (and I've been told as much by my bosses), and my company policy is "if all the work gets done and done well, and you feel like you've done a day's work, then your time is yours to manage."

• Options

The set is awesome.

The acting is not.

Much as I love you and appreciate the offer, I actually abhor heckling and hecklers. If I don't like a performance, I'll leave; I'd rather not make a scene and ruin it for everyone else.

Also, the optics of you, a white guy, heckling and/or berating performers who are not 1) white, and 2) guys, would not do you any favors.

You never let me have any fun.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »
    Feeling like shit right now since I managed to piss away my last job...

I need something positive and solid in my life and not just some escapism...

@Nocren

What happened, if you want to say?

Fell asleep at my station.

Adjusting from swing/graves to day shift. Sucks that I got hit on the last day of my 2 weeks so I got to see what would have been my paycheck...

Luckily I have an interview at intel tomorrow.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    I'm a valet. Tonight I'm working at a kinda-nice restaurant.

I come back from parking a car to find a key that I haven't seen before in the box. I'm working alone, which means that somebody broke into the box (not hard, you jiggle it a bit and it just falls open) to put it there. Nothing's broken, nothing's missing, just this strange key.

So Ihit the clicker and the vehicle is just around the corner, on an unpaid meter. So either somebody parked there, dropped their key, and some good samaritan thought it was one of ours, our somebody left their car there wanting to valet and just couldn't wait the thirty seconds to talk to me.

Neither is unusual. What is unusual is breaking in to the key box to give me the key.

It turned out to be the latter... just... who does that?

"Oh, the valet isn't here and I'm a big douche who doesn't want to wait my turn, so I'm just gonna park illegally, break into the key box, leave my key there and hope somebody notices"

Like, if you're in a hurry and absolutely can't wait, at least leave your keys with the hostess.

• Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    Aaaand the hostess just informed me he left a while ago even drunker than when he arrived.

Like, probably not coming back for it any time soon drunk.

Fuck.

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Just kill the idiot son. You need:

An axe.
    A drop sheet.
    A shovel.
    Some lye.

A Huey Lewis and the News CD.
    A clear rain coat.

Oh and 1 more thing......

What is it? Shit it was right on the tip of my tongue.....

Oh yeah. Don't post about it on the damn internet

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular

Hooooray
    cool when are we going?

In May! Star Wars weekends!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm p sure SWW is happening at Disneyland next year.

• Options
    Fffffffffffffffffffffff

This discussion has been closed.