As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where [Jobs] Grow on Little Jobbies!

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Aaaand the hostess just informed me he left a while ago even drunker than when he arrived.

Like, probably not coming back for it any time soon drunk.

Fuck.

Then that key needs to mysteriously vanish without a trace.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Categorising patents is in fact more soul crushing than writing readable technical summaries of them. Just in case anybody was wondering.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    Ahhahahaha apparently I signed my name on a contract that more or less says I will work 6 months for free, yay.

Showed that shit to a couple of lawyer types and they all pretty much agree that it's an unreasonable request.
    If they try to sue us they can pretty much forget about ever doing business in this town again :rotate:

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Weird, so a meeting about joining the sort-of-sales team popped up in my calender a couple of days ago. Apparently it's now going to be a formal interview. With people that I kind of know. How odd.

Fortunately I had my suit dry cleaned a while back*. Now I need to have a think about why I want to spend some time doing less technical work that isn't "I am deeply worried that somebody is going to spot I'm crap at technical things and then it'll all be over"
    *Because I smashed a full glass of wine onto a table during a fancy dinner and purpled myself

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    new VP

dunno what to make of her yet

very metrics driven, which is good

but there were a couple things that bugged me in our meeting

mainly her glossing over several aspects of my job going "oh, but that only takes like a couple minutes or hours"

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Well, sat down with my boss yesterday

$5k raise effective immediately, possibly another 5 in 6 months.

Talked about future plans for our new manufacturing facility and offices, getting an office as large as our conference room along with a junior IT person working under me, etc, eta of ~2 years.

Any raise is a good raise, and an almost guaranteed 5k every 6 months isn't bad either

But I had hoped with the progress I've made in just the past year on a variety of money-saving projects I could have had some of that realized in a bigger pay bump.

Maybe I'm just greedy.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    effectively $10k in six months (assuming they go through with it) seems pretty good, guess you'll have to wait and see. congrats though dan

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2013
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    able to see us, guess our age and gender and customize their marketing messages with frightening accuracy

pssh our robots already do that. 'Professor' my ass ... wait we HAVE a robot at Carnegie. Goddammit, man!

On a more serious tangent, I don't know how much those cost (as far as I can tell they're just shop dummies that someone's stuck some motors in, so not much), but having an actual robot there would be a ridiculously over the top investment.

My boss has a bee in his bonnet about how impractical it is to use humanoids to substitute for low-paid jobs. He's aiming to replace highly paid assholes.

tynic on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    You're writing trading software?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    So I got my raise...it was relatively minimal though because I'm now at the max I can make at my current position.

This really sucks because I live in a smaller town and people don't leave very often so I could be there for 2 years without another opportunity opening up.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    We got a new head of HR today.
    Dude showed up in full suit and tie outfit both days he's been here.
    It's like, our company is not that formal. Most of my wardrobe is just stuff I'd wear on a weekend. President also banned ties because they have no use beyond being pretentious.
    Shape up guy.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    effectively $10k in six months (assuming they go through with it) seems pretty good, guess you'll have to wait and see. congrats though dan

I got one back in April as well, but the way my boss tried to phrase it when I politely mentioned I would have liked to have seen more

"Yeah but we gave you one in April for 5k plus this one is 10k"

"Yeah, but I don't actually realize that full 10k in a given year :| "

"Yeah..."

And from a business/payroll managerial view I get it, because we saw the same issue with other departments, where one BIG raise made them kind of hit the ceiling for the position they were in and there wasn't really any room to give a raise on a regular basis, so he wants to avoid that with me

BUT

Again, considering what my predecessor made when he left the company (I've been in the position about as long as he had been) my boss flat out admitted that we were getting more value out of my work than we had from his

So...I'm more valuable...but...getting paid less?

Hell, the raise covers my new car payments rather easily, so there's that.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I brought in two dozen Chocolate Kahlua Cupcakes because it is the awesome professor's birthday. They are almost all gone and one student said it was better than the Georgetown Cupcake she had the other day.

Looks like I have a new favorite grad student.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Is this where I politely point out that Georgetown Cupcakes suck?

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Is this where I politely point out that Georgetown Cupcakes suck?

They don't suck. They aren't the best cupcakes in the area, but they do have some good ones.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Oh, yay ...

Another fire drill.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I have had a lot of coffee this morning. Drinking some of the tonx stuff from Ethiopia that I refrigerated from last night.
    And listening to this song apparently on repeat? I don't know why.
    Someone listen to this and tell me if the audio is committing fuckery with your ears?
    Parts of it sound like the singing guy is floating around me in a circle.
    Or am I just losing my mind?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3JOdAeFLHI

• Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    i really don't understand how i'm supposed to find a job in a town this small with no experience doing anything real

looking at job ads, i basically just have to give up once i see the words "experience" or "at least"

• Options
    I'd like to state for the record that I want to email every person who is flying to Roanoke, VA and tell them it's a bad idea.

Seriously, people, don't go to the Vanishing Place.

As an aside, I have the worst sinus headache. I appreciate that the cold front came in and dropped the temperature by twenty degrees, but I'm seriously considering going home early and kicking back with Auntie Histamine.

I'm not contagious or anything, but I deffo feel like a can of hammered shit right now.

I'm also pretty sure that I look and sound like it too.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    @Abracadaniel, here's some perspective. You just got a raise, which is more money than I'll be claiming as income for this year. I'm not trying to trivialize anything, but maybe you should be pleased you got a combined raise which is more than the total income for some folks.

I, for one, am stoked for you. That's a huge raise to your annual salary, and I know if I was suddenly making ~$800 more a month, I'd be sitting pretty.

I'd make that shit rain.

Dollah.

Dollah.

Bill.

Ya'll.

• Options
    Dan, take about twenty bucks to the bank and trade it out for rolls of pennies.

Then the next time you see Idiot Son, start flinging copper at him.

Fuck rain, make it HAIL.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Bank?

Pennies?

Hardware store.

Cinder block.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Skittles

At least then you have plausible deniability

• Options
    Usagi wrote: »
    Skittles

At least then you have plausible deniability

Scream something about tasting the rainbow as you shove candy down his esophagus.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    RubberAC wrote: »
    i really don't understand how i'm supposed to find a job in a town this small with no experience doing anything real

looking at job ads, i basically just have to give up once i see the words "experience" or "at least"

Just apply. The worst they can do is ignore you. The qualifications section of job reqs are often bloated wishlists.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Deebaser wrote: »

Just apply. The worst they can do is ignore you. The qualifications section of job reqs are often bloated wishlists.

Entry level, 19 years experience required, shits gold eggs every half hour, Ph.D. in astrophysics, must be a unicorn

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

Entry level, 19 years experience required, shits gold eggs every half hour, Ph.D. in astrophysics, must be a unicorn

did you take that from my college's cs dept. internship emailing list

cuz yeah

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Also, Dan, they're getting more value out of you than your predecessor precisely because they're not paying as much for it. That's how value works.

Congrats on the raise, man. That's a good chunk at any one time, and you've got a matching chunk to look forward to. It's a shame you didn't get a bigger bit of the costs you've saved, but I don't think any place would realistically be expected to dole out a large bit of their surprise savings.

(I still don't get why you're there still, like everyone else :P )

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I took a sick day today.

Which is something special for me because it is the first sick day I have taken in 19 months of employment out of college.

But I woke up yesterday feeling super tired, my brain felt on fire, my throat sore, my nose congested and just yeah...

Also a whole bunch of shit went down at work, so I get the added bonus of avoiding the fallout for a day.

So I am going to do some light cleaning around the apartment, drink water, eat soup and watch Netflix.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    Hey it's a response from someone.

Oh it's no. :-(

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Just processed a cargo ticket for the WWE.

And I'm currently typing in an e-mail address with 'CBT' in the address. Since the customer's initials are substantially different, I'm going to assume the reference is 'cock-and-ball-torture.'

I truly wish my mind was a less filthy wasteland.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Tomorrow and Friday are Big Day's.

Radio morning shows have the host(s), and the producer. The producer is the guy who pushes buttons and makes the noises. The host is the guy talking. A while back, the morning producer for our "alt rock" station got promoted, and there's been a vacancy. This Thursday and Friday, the host's of the show are going to Vegas for a thing.

I was drafted to fill in as the producer, and run the live portion of the show, with the host's calling in. Yesterday I went in for a two hour crash course, it's not really that complicated. Everyone who came in and talked to us said: "Don't worry, everyone fucks up the first time. Hell, I still mess this up. Have you heard <Host> try to produce the show? It's hilarious, never gets it right." So, I get the vibe that not much is expected. I plan on fuckin' nailing it. Mostly because I want to do well, but also because... If everyone else has messed it up, I want to be the guy who doesn't.

So! What's the point here?

Well! With the vacancy of the morning producer, and the fact that I've been working with these guys for a few months now and we all get along fairly well, I was toying with the idea of trying to talk my way into the job.

After the training, the supervisor I was working with and I were sitting in his office just talking a little and exchanging phone numbers in case of emergency. I decided to just bring it up, the worst he could say is I'd have to do an interview.

"Hey, so I was thinking. The morning producer is missing, you're training me to do it, why don't I just... Become the morning producer?"

"It's funny, Anon, I was just talking with the guys about that. I said, 'you know, Anon is just going to be your new producer.' They laughed and said, 'Yeah, that'd be alright.' So, we've been talking about just that."

"Well, that's cool... What does that mean?"

"It means that we'll go through this, and if it all works out... On Monday we can sit down and talk."

"Alright, man. I'll see you when you come in on Thursday!"

So, tomorrow and Friday are Big Day's.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I started idly applying for jobs that show up on my LinkedIn feed a few months ago. I'm noticing that Im actually getting "Thanks, but no thanks" rejection emails more often than not hearing anything back at all.

When did this become a thing? It's pretty cool, imo. I find it much preferable to waiting and hoping.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Good luck anon, you'll rock it :)

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a particular line of technical books that would be good for teaching things from scratch? For instance, I'd like to learn Linux, Unix, and SQL, and I have a Safari Books account at my disposal. Any recommendations?

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Ugh. I'm disliking the new marketing woman more and more.

Our guest key to the men's washroom is missing. So she spent the time to come up a cutesy little graphic, including shitty clip art and emailed it out to the office. And then she printed it up and hung it up in the kitchen.

Our company has 10 employees.

• Options
    One of the graduate students got a shark costume for Halloween and has been walking around the hallways in it since it arrived.

It is pretty spectacular.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Pics or it didn't happen

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I know there's probably no magic number to this, but typically how many reprimands and mistakes are you granted as a new hire before your superiors decide "yeah, this isn't going to work" and boot you out the door?

So far in the three plus weeks I've been at this police department, I've been reprimanded twice. Nothing major, mistakes I can easily ensure not to repeat, but enough to get me really frustrated as a perfectionist trying to make a good early impression.

It also doesn't help that I feel that my boss is frustrated with me, though I have observed she maintains the same tone with me that she does with everyone else. It's clear she doesn't like my occasional prodding when I inquire about the (still pending) access to my other duties. As it stands, I'm barely doing any work from all save for the occasional phone call.

In other words, not having anything to do has me on edge. I won't know if I can make this job work until I get full access to all of my duties.

This discussion has been closed.