As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Renting] Thread

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have begun the search for somewhere to move to. Figure I may as well start now rather than wait til I have to.

Been looking at "buddy-up" ads on Spareroom to see if I can find a person to get a place with, rather than try and get a room in an established household. Found one by a guy with 3 adorable dogs. Instantly messaged him. His budget's higher than mine so he probably won't be interested but man, I'd really like to live with 3 adorable dogs!

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Smof come live with me.

We just need to construct an airtight box for your spiders. They don't need to breathe or anything, right?

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Smof come live with me.

itsatrap.jpeg

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I got a message from a guy with a room to rent. Currently two guys living there, with two empty rooms. I kinda wanted to live with just one or two people but they sound reasonably nice, they have a garden and a cat, and it's in a pretty good location. So I will probably check it out.

But first I will message him and make sure he's DEFINITELY OKAY with tarantulas so I don't get a repeat of last time with those jerks who said they were but then decided they weren't.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    First week in the new apartment is going just fine. The kitchen is way smaller than we thought with about half as much storage as our last place, but with some targeted downsizing and a little cheap extra storage from Ikea it should be a breeze.

Our asshole internet providers are being incompetent though which is a drag.

There's a little sun room which is a revelation - the cats love it and sitting out there on reading chairs, drinking tea in the morning is absolutely lovely.

We're thinking about getting a little car now that we're not walking distance to trains and buses to everywhere. Also our new place has a parking spot which is nice.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Cool Dave!

The idea of a sun room is just something you don't see in Australia.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I knew someone in Adelaide with one. I think the house was built by recent UK immigrants. Mostly the cats used it.

A sun room in Australia sounds like the kind of place you could only be for three minutes before turning to ashes.

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    We're renting my mom's house from her

It's pretty sweet, except she hasn't taken her stuff yet. But... free furniture!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    smof wrote: »
    A sun room in Australia sounds like the kind of place you could only be for three minutes before turning to ashes.

they can be nice in winter.
    But you definitely need to be able to seal it off from the rest of the house with thermally insulated blinds when required.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

All rooms in Australia are sun rooms.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Sun room in Australia:

20suns-600.jpg

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    My roommates and I are on really good terms with the apartment staff at our place.

We are known as the party guys in the entire complex and have been told that if at least one of us shows up to an apartment-wide event it will likely be a blast.

We are currently in talks to host a winter party as the apartment staff's next party won't be till June, although we may have convinced the on-site manager to schedule for February or March.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Cool Dave!

The idea of a sun room is just something you don't see in Australia.

Also important to note, it's almost floor to ceiling glass, all double glazed, and it's independently heated.

• DiamondGFXDiamondGFX Registered User regular
    So, we had a very interesting experience recently with real estate! We've been searching for a house since we moved, and found a nice, big house within our price range. We negotiated, they accepted an offer, and everything was awesome! So, we scheduled our inspection immediately with a licensed engineer.

The only real way to describe how the inspection went was to talk about this one little thing. The inspector ran out of room on his "things you need to fix" paper, and had to grab a second sheet. Which he also filled out. And had to grab a third.

We immediately rescinded our offer, and walked away from the house. I just...I just don't know how they managed to screw up that much of the house through normal neglect. The inspector told us if we purchased the house, it was very unlikely the insurance company would even be willing to insure the house, and told us we'd be looking at over a hundred thousand dollars worth of repairs just to get it back to levels of acceptable safety.

Moral of the story: for the love of fine pancakes, always get an inspection. Always.

ain't got one
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    And if someone wants the clause of inspection only after you take ownership, don't buy that house!
    Also, watch a lot of Mike Holmes.

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    I'm finally moving out of my parents' place two years after leaving university. It's a studio flat in central london so I'll be fairly broke, but I don't care because I'll be able to strut around the (5m square) place in my pants and not give a fuck.

• DiamondGFXDiamondGFX Registered User regular
    Watching a lot of Mike Holmes is the fast track to nightmare town when buying a house.

ain't got one
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    DiamondGFX wrote: »
    So, we had a very interesting experience recently with real estate! We've been searching for a house since we moved, and found a nice, big house within our price range. We negotiated, they accepted an offer, and everything was awesome! So, we scheduled our inspection immediately with a licensed engineer.

The only real way to describe how the inspection went was to talk about this one little thing. The inspector ran out of room on his "things you need to fix" paper, and had to grab a second sheet. Which he also filled out. And had to grab a third.

We immediately rescinded our offer, and walked away from the house. I just...I just don't know how they managed to screw up that much of the house through normal neglect. The inspector told us if we purchased the house, it was very unlikely the insurance company would even be willing to insure the house, and told us we'd be looking at over a hundred thousand dollars worth of repairs just to get it back to levels of acceptable safety.

Moral of the story: for the love of fine pancakes, always get an inspection. Always.

In a similar vein, always check the permits. My mom has to get the bottom level of her house taken apart because on the original blueprints, it's only one story and lifted (kind of a common thing out there). So the tenant broke the lease (completely justified in everyone's opinion) and now the place may go into foreclosure because she has no means of paying the mortgage. No money with which to lawyer up, either.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    Grog wrote: »
    I'm finally moving out of my parents' place two years after leaving university. It's a studio flat in central london so I'll be fairly broke, but I don't care because I'll be able to strut around the (5m square) place in my pants and not give a fuck.

How much is that gonna be? If you don't mind me asking.

Flat prices in London are a source of fascination to me.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91ISfcuzDw

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular

My little sister has a place for 725 in Wimbledon!

PSN: ThatDaveFella
    I think it's 725 anyways.

One bed? Studio?

I think it's a one bed.

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I have learned, over the past 6 months, that at least one of these things is true:

1) I am not being paid enough.
    2) Nobody is allowed to live alone in the city where I work, as all apartments are apparently priced for a two-income situation.

...it's probably both of these things, though.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    I love this idea.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/11/scrub-your-bathtub-and-shower-in-minutes-with-a-cordless-drill/

Although I think you can just buy a stiff brush.

Gunna have the cleanest grout you guys.

• AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    My Findings: Anywhere affordable in central Massachusetts is racist against pet owners.

I am having a helluva time finding a 1 bedroom for $700-$800 a month that do not immediately turn you down because you have a cat. OK guy, I'll leave my only friend behind and curse your apartment after I inevitably end my life due to loneliness and drive property values down for all time with my mournful ghost.

Seriously, my one cat has cut off 90% of prospective places to live for me... isn't a feline inclined doof a bit more economical in the long term than a catless druglord?

I swear she only claws MY things... :\

I am not being mean to you dude.

But that is something you need to accept as a pet owner and is one of the main reasons I have yet to buy a pet.

The other reasons are vivienne's allergies and at least when I was single I would occasionally just not go home, or spend a minimal amount of time at home and that would be unfair on the animal.

• AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    Well.. obviously.

I have to deal with the repercussions of irresponsible pet owners of Christmas past, this isn't news to me. HOWEVER, I like it none the same!

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I love this idea.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/11/scrub-your-bathtub-and-shower-in-minutes-with-a-cordless-drill/

Although I think you can just buy a stiff brush.

Gunna have the cleanest grout you guys.

Gon' need me one of those.

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    First week in the new apartment is going just fine. The kitchen is way smaller than we thought with about half as much storage as our last place, but with some targeted downsizing and a little cheap extra storage from Ikea it should be a breeze.

There's a little sun room which is a revelation - the cats love it and sitting out there on reading chairs, drinking tea in the morning is absolutely lovely.

We're thinking about getting a little car now that we're not walking distance to trains and buses to everywhere. Also our new place has a parking spot which is nice.

Sunroom! Do you want plant(s)? I have plants.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    My apartment manager is a cool dude, he let me turn in my rent a day late (completely slipped my mind) and didn't apply the extra charge because he hadn't gone to the office yet.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular

Still in Vancouver? If so you're in transit dreamland compared to me in the Langley burbs.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    @smof £165 a week. Most of my paycheck but the cheapest I could find.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I am not being mean to you dude.

But that is something you need to accept as a pet owner and is one of the main reasons I have yet to buy a pet.

The other reasons are vivienne's allergies and at least when I was single I would occasionally just not go home, or spend a minimal amount of time at home and that would be unfair on the animal.

I'm thinking that I might pop in to see a GP on the days off that I've got coming up in the next month or so. I have a sneaky suspicion that I'm not allergic to dogs!

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    Weretaco wrote: »

Still in Vancouver? If so you're in transit dreamland compared to me in the Langley burbs.

oh I'm not denying it is convenient for transit. We both still bus to work without any trouble.

its just we're moving from downtown, 5 minutes walk from millenium/expo and 10 from Canada and every bus in the city.

• marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Blurgh, all the houses in my dumb city are either old but in a good location, or new but in a bad location.

Maybe I should just wait six months and buy myself an apartment.

• BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    I really hope all this Amazon hiring hoopla in Seattle does not cause rent to skyrocket and turn it into san francisco, probably will though.

This discussion has been closed.