As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Renting] Thread

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I got an apartment! It's disturbingly good for what it cost. I'm so happy about the possibilities this might open up in my life on general.

But for seriously, that price? I think there might be a dead guy in the walls or something.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    If you can't smell him, is it really a problem?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Around the end of july my kitchen hood noise-level while turned off increased to really annoying levels. It actually made less noise while turned on.

I reported it to my landlord and a few days later I see on their website that the problem is "closed". So I call up and ask wth? Noone's even been here to check it out. Oh I see, the house is newly built and so it's a guarantee issue for them, so they mark it closed and send it on to the company responsible.

So a month passes and I don't hear anything. After a while I even forgot about the noise, it just blended into the background. It wasn't until my mom was here and asked how I could stand to live with it that I realized I should probably call. So I do, and it's "under investigation" and they'll call me back.

Fast forward 2 months to yesterday when a friend who's over comments on it again and I realize I never heard shit. So I call again, and this time someone actually helpful calls the super and he comes over to look at it. Turns out a lot of others have had the problem and it's an easy fix, but the summer temp who had his job sent it on to the wrong company and then everyone just stopped giving a shit.

I feel a bit dumb for not just calling them every damn day but once I got used to the noise it didn't really consciously bother me. For €870 a month you'd think I could get some service at least.

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    A lot of rental companies stop giving a shit once you sign the lease.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I got a visit by a woman from the TV license agency today. She asked why I didn't have a TV license and I said I don't watch TV. She asked if she could come into my flat to check and I said no. Then she sounded very annoyed and left.

I feel bad for her. It must suck to have that as a job but no power to do anything.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm a bit worried about the tv license thing cause I don't watch TV (I own one, but just for watching dvds) - BUT the house I'm in has a satellite dish. Now, I certainly don't use it, and I don't even know where the outlet for it is. But I know that if they do turn up on my door it will look super suspicious.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    All that proves is your house is (possibly) capable of receiving a signal. If they can't prove you are watching or recording programs as they are broadcast, then they can't do anything.

It's dumb. And I know a ton of people must lie to avoid buying one, because it's so easy to do. But I object to having to prove my innocence because of that. No other crime that I know of has you presumed guilty unless you can prove you're not doing it.

Anyway if they come in my flat it still doesn't prove anything. I have a TV, I have an aerial cable. If I plugged the cable in to the TV I could watch television. So how can I prove I don't?

Yeah that's what gets me. I am really supportive of publicly funded broadcasting, but the TV people got my back up from the get go because the very first communication I got from them was a letter which began "What to expect at your court hearing."

We have the same system in Sweden, except you need to pay license fees just for owning a device capable of receiving TV signals. Since the public service channels now have a huge online library as well they decided to expand it to computers/tablets/smartphones etc too.

I don't get why they don't just add it to the taxes and at least save the money they're paying the license agency hunters.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    The entire concept of a tv license intrigues me

definitely don't have that in canadia

• ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »
    We have the same system in Sweden, except you need to pay license fees just for owning a device capable of receiving TV signals. Since the public service channels now have a huge online library as well they decided to expand it to computers/tablets/smartphones etc too.

I don't get why they don't just add it to the taxes and at least save the money they're paying the license agency hunters.

I think the general idea is that the funding for state TV should be out of the government's hands, to keep it depoliticized

thenews.jpg

Germany does that too, or did until quite recently. My friends had three laptops, four or five tablet devices, two computers and a huge TV. And didn't really speak german. So when the inspector turned up to the house, one of them let them in (mind you, anecdotal evidence suggests that they often lie to get in so maybe the language wouldn't have helped). Anyway, I can only imagine the guy thinking he'd hit the motherload ... until my friend browbeat him for forty minutes in a combination of polite english and filthy spanish.

When they finally got the assessment notice, they found they were billed for ... one radio.

Arang wrote: »

I think the general idea is that the funding for state TV should be out of the government's hands, to keep it depoliticized

Parliament still doles out the money between the TV and radio companies. There was some investigation done a year or so ago of how to add it to the taxes while still keeping it separated from the governments' budget.

Mainly I just wish they'd do it so the rude fuckers who called me up every month calling me a liar lose their jobs and are forced to go work in the Kiruna mines.

So much abuse I had to take for legitimately not owning a TV.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I love this idea.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/11/scrub-your-bathtub-and-shower-in-minutes-with-a-cordless-drill/

Although I think you can just buy a stiff brush.

Gunna have the cleanest grout you guys.

Don't do their method with the magnets and shit.

Just drill a hole right through the centre of the scrubbing brush, bung a long 10mm bolt through it, bolt it up tight with a lock nut on the drill side to make sure it doesn't wind itself undone, and get to scrubbing. Just put the fucking bolt threads in the drill chuck and tighten it up. It won't slip.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    I am not being mean to you dude.

But that is something you need to accept as a pet owner and is one of the main reasons I have yet to buy a pet.

The other reasons are vivienne's allergies and at least when I was single I would occasionally just not go home, or spend a minimal amount of time at home and that would be unfair on the animal.

I'm thinking that I might pop in to see a GP on the days off that I've got coming up in the next month or so. I have a sneaky suspicion that I'm not allergic to dogs!

ZOMG get a Ridgeback get a Ridgeback get a Ridgeback! They're the best damn dogs ever...

I would be pretty annoyed if I had to buy a TV license just because I own a TV or laptop.

People just cannot fathom that somebody wouldn't want to watch TV.

We had a ridgeback x lab mix (with possibly a little something else), and she was the sweetest dog. Huge, silly and insanely friendly.

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    They're just changing the TV fee in Ireland to be a household charge that everyone has to pay.

Which sucks for people who literally don't watch TV.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
    Gotta tax your way out of recession though.

tynic wrote: »
    We had a ridgeback x lab mix (with possibly a little something else), and she was the sweetest dog. Huge, silly and insanely friendly.

We had a Ridgeback x Alsatian named Rani when I was a teenager, and she was an amazing dog. Smart, friendly, just the best.

They're just changing the TV fee in Ireland to be a household charge that everyone has to pay.

Which sucks for people who literally don't watch TV.

If they're gonna do that they could at least stop calling it a TV license. Just rename it the Fuck You charge.

It's gonna be called the Public Broadcasting Charge.

Our government are really good at labeling a tax as not a tax. They added something called the income levy a few years ago. Not a tax. It's been renamed the universal social charge now, it's still not a tax though.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    They charge you for being social?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    smof wrote: »
    I would be pretty annoyed if I had to buy a TV license just because I own a TV or laptop.

but...how do you watch the bake off??

?????

TheStig wrote: »
    They charge you for being social?

They charge us so we can't be social and we all stay indoors.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Is it bad form to threaten to call the cops on a roommate after all efforts at diplomacy and general cajoling have failed to get them to turn loud music down after midnight during the week? I can hear it through earplugs (and noise cancelling buds with my own music going) and feel the stuff with heavy bass. The other two guys have the habit of drinking themselves into oblivion each night and presumably don't notice it.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    That sounds like a couple of really good reasons to live somewhere else.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Believe me, if I had enough money to do so I would be out of here in a fucking heartbeat. I've been looking in the appropriate places but pickings are pretty thin right now. It sucks because I like this place-- good location, corner room that gets plenty of light and a nice breeze, walking distance to the university.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    Fyndir wrote: »

?????

I'm not sure what that is but it sounds rude

?????

@liiya please help

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

?????

@liiya please help

Baby you can watch me watch Bake Off anytime you like.

Well I never.

University has changed you, Liiya.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Speaking of renting, after being away a week I came back home and my housemate saw me and grinned from ear to ear and said how much she'd missed me, and how quiet it was without me and hugged me and was so happy.

Made me feel pretty awesome : )

Liiya wrote: »

?????

liiya please help

Baby you can watch me watch Bake Off anytime you like.

gv3lbuY.jpg

• Spiced HamSpiced Ham Registered User regular
    Arang wrote: »

Hasn't really been effective in that regard, especially during the milk snatcher's reign.

• Spiced HamSpiced Ham Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

We had a Ridgeback x Alsatian named Rani when I was a teenager, and she was an amazing dog. Smart, friendly, just the best.

All three of my dogs have been ridgeback crosses, rottweiler, alsation and labrador and they have all been so damn happy and friendly. I don't think you can ever go wrong with a ridgeback, be warned that they may just be too adorable.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Pictures?

Just had a tenant meeting. Some people are just amazing.

One lady was pissed off because she smoked in the non-smoking building and someone was rude to her.

Then she complained that smoke gets in through the vents to her childrens' bedroom :|

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    This is as good a place as any, for this little tidbit.

Guy I was renting from isn't taking on any more tenants, so he's okay with me taking a little while to fully move my gear out. Went over today to grab a few odds and ends, checked inside one unmarked box. Turned out to house my remaining hard liquor and a copy of Max Payne 2 that somehow managed to migrate in there during the packing process.

It seemed appropriate somehow.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Ah the renting thread. I love my current place. I am so happy to not have any roommates. This is an email from my last roommate that I have kept for posterity... ill spoiler this.
    Your lights are off, so I won't bother you.

A week or so ago I talked to you about using the heat, and we came to an agreement about heat usage. You said, and I agreed, that 68 was "normal", and therefore a good temperature.

I then went ahead and set the programmable thermostat to regulate up to that temperature (68 degrees Fahrenheit) at important times. From memory, these are the set times:
    ~5am til 8am: 68 degrees <-- We agreed morning heat was helpful.
    ~8am til ~5:30pm: 65 degrees <-- A temperature low enough that won't be triggered all winter when the sun is hitting the apartment.
    ~5:45pm til 11:45pm: 68 degrees <-- These are hours we are home and usually awake during the week.
    ~midnight til 5am: 65 degrees <-- These are prime energy saving hours since it is pretty much guaranteed we will be asleep (during the week).

Since having this discussion, and taking the time to program the temperatures accordingly, you seem to have gotten into the habit of increasing the heat liberally, ad libitum. In general, I wouldn't have an issue with this, but since we discussed it so recently I have to bring it up again. Ideally, we can both be comfortable, yet also agree on when it reasonable to be conservative with the heat usage.

I have noticed now on several occasions before you go to bed you increase the heat to 70 or 71 (or higher). I do not understand this since you will be in the comfort of your bed. I don't have an issue with setting the night temperature slightly higher, but 70+ is definitely overkill. Keep in mind that during the winter months it feels cooler indoors for a given temperature due to drafts from leaking windows, doors, etc. Slow, cool drafts from outside create convection currents that make the entire room feel drafty. In this apartment we could turn the heat up to 75 and it would still feel "chilly" because of the drafts.

Having said that, in bed at night you are almost completely shielded from drafts.

There is some evidence that cooler temperatures at night are beneficial for general health (immunological reasons), but there is other evidence that some people don't sleep as well in too cool or too hot of conditions (and when sleep quality is lowered, so is general quality of life, followed by health--opposite and indirectly related to the health benefits of cooler air). But here's the kicker: The range recommended by medical experts for sleep is 65-70 degrees. It is generally agreed 65 is not too cool for anybody.

What I'd like to avoid is arbitrary spikes in temperature and heat usage. We have the technology to use the heat appropriately and very consistently. If you would prefer different temperatures or different time changes, I am open to any and all suggestions. Again (key message): I would like to avoid arbitrary changes to temperature, not just because it unpredictably increases the energy bill, but also because if I'm around and awake I have already dressed appropriately for the temperature. An unexpected (and uncommunicated) change in temperature means I find myself taking layers off, or find myself kicking off blankets when you turn up the temperature at 2:30am.

I think reasonable times to change the temperature are times when you find yourself at home on an unusually cold day, (weekday or weekend). But remember that it is the drafts that make if feel cold. Please check what the indoor temperature actually is before turning it up further for comfort. Adding a layer will probably help with comfort from drafts more than increasing the heater further since increasing the heat doesn't stop the slow and steady stream of cool air spilling in from poor insulation.

My parents always kept their house at ~55 at night in Connecticut. Our house was built around 1790, so it was very, very drafty (it had modern windows installed in 1984, but there is no gap in the walls for modern insulation). At my aunt and uncle's ranch house, they kept their house even cooler at night (basically just enough heat to keep the pipes from freezing). After only 3 nights of that (last week) I felt completely used to it. And of course my relatives in Norway would laugh at the notion of using heat at all in non-freezing temperatures, but of course everything else is different there. They use foam mattresses which absorb body heat, and everyone uses thick, heavy down blankets. They can literally keep bedrooms at near visible-breath temperatures and sleep like babies since their mattresses don't "breath" like American mattresses do. They also have heating elements in the floor. Even if the room itself is sub-60 degrees, the mildly warm floors provide a comfort we don't have the luxury of (imagine the difference between stepping on ice barefoot versus with warm winter boots and wool socks on--it is the difference of whole-body comfort, just from your feet).
    one day later this email arrives. mind, this is a roommate, im a room away, he emailed me these things.
    So uhhhhhhh.....Last night I felt pretty chilly. I don't know if it was because I was sitting relatively still studying for a long period of time, but last night felt really chilly even when the temp on the wall read 68.

How did you feel last night?

Asking this makes me feel like a bit of a woos after the last encompassing mind-dump essay of an email.... But I have to ask.

I'm wondering if 1-2 degrees of more heat might be helpful?

... roommates are crazy, i never want another roommate after that

Barcardi on
This discussion has been closed.