As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Renting] Thread

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    "woos"

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    wuss maybe?

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    That is the most incredible one sided correspondence.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    WELL DON'T FUCK WITH THE THERMOSTAT BARCADI

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Everyone is getting thermostats for christmas!

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    In fact if you look under your chair!!!!

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    One of my wife's roommates in college insisted on keeping the place at 55 all winter long. It was absolutely awful, and her room was in a converted attic which was where all the heat was.

You shouldn't need a fucking coat to go to the kitchen.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    My house had a busted ass analog thermostat

I bought a cheap 20 dollar digital one... I knew I had to shut off the AC breaker and I did so. Take the old cover off, and because I'm a 2 year old I had to play with the mercury for a little bit... and I notice that it's still sparking. Whoops, the AC breaker doesn't turn off the power there! Glad I had mercury to play with or I would have been zapped.

I want to buy a NEST, but that'll have to wait.

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Sticks wrote: »
    One of my wife's roommates in college insisted on keeping the place at 55 all winter long. It was absolutely awful, and her room was in a converted attic which was where all the heat was.

My sister does this and cold makes me sleepy so every time we go over there for a visit I nod off the entire time and I feel rude as fuck about it but COME ON TURN ON THE FUCKIN HEAT

cabsy wrote: »
    Sticks wrote: »

My sister does this and cold makes me sleepy so every time we go over there for a visit I nod off the entire time and I feel rude as fuck about it but COME ON TURN ON THE FUCKIN HEAT

I enjoy it cold when I sleep because I can stack several blankets and a down comforter on my bed if needed. I can't abide being cold indoors while awake though. Being all shivery and hunched over and uncomfortable the entire time sucks. I would never get any chores or work done because I would be too busy being miserable.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    My roommates sometimes keep the place too cold but they're usually okay with other people turning on the heat. One of them is convinced I'm anemic though just because I don't think you need to have a window open when it's fifty degrees outside.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Jasconius wrote: »
    My house had a busted ass analog thermostat

I bought a cheap 20 dollar digital one... I knew I had to shut off the AC breaker and I did so. Take the old cover off, and because I'm a 2 year old I had to play with the mercury for a little bit... and I notice that it's still sparking. Whoops, the AC breaker doesn't turn off the power there! Glad I had mercury to play with or I would have been zapped.

I want to buy a NEST, but that'll have to wait.
    I also covet a NEST, but every time I bring it up I get told that it's more form than function and that there are better options. I have not yet attempted to evaluate other options, have you? If so I'd be interested in the results.

i don't really know what the alternatives are... the notion of something that programs itself is appealing, because mine is programmable as well but I'll be damned if I remember to turn the program on/off at the right times (it doesn't adjust for weekends)

plus online control is neat

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I would be so miserable with the thermostat at 55. I have it at 70, which is probably higher than I need it, but I kept it at 80 all summer so I tell myself it balances out, even though it probably doesn't. I'm just the biggest wuss about cold.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Godmode generally likes to keep the place chilly, which I'm typically fine with. But it's getting to that point in the year where it is just getting too cold. I don't mind being under a blanket on the couch, but with a dog that likes to shed it becomes a little more frustrating because you don't want to have to constantly throw the blanket in the wash.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    It's not unheard of for me to open the window in the winter.

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    55 is the temperature in a desert you people are all crazy

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I will pay a little more each month to keep my tiny apartment 68 degrees.

68 is cray cray

but i guess that's a northerner thing

i can't put mine lower than 70 or else I'll have a 250 dollar power bill

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Oh yeah. This place is tiny and has great insulation, gas heating. I don't pay all that much. If I did I would lower it.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I finally went and did all the conversions and y'all are nuts. 20C is way too hot for indoors in winter.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So I guess this is a thing that isn't traditional done...

My roommates and I have a communal agreement regarding the dining situation for our apartment. Each of us cooks two nights of the week for all three of us and Saturday is our free-night/fend-for-yourself evening. It is pretty nice knowing you don't have to cook four nights out of the week.

But I guess no one else does this?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So I guess this is a thing that isn't traditional done...

My roommates and I have a communal agreement regarding the dining situation for our apartment. Each of us cooks two nights of the week for all three of us and Saturday is our free-night/fend-for-yourself evening. It is pretty nice knowing you don't have to cook four nights out of the week.

But I guess no one else does this?

My roommates and I did that when we were living together.

It was extremely convenient.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    SO CONVENIENT!

Except when I learned things about my roommates.

Like how they can't stand any spicy food.

Or how one of them despises tuna-fish.

Or how they don't like Honey Nut Cheerios.

I feel like I am living with savages!!!

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I finally went and did all the conversions and y'all are nuts. 20C is way too hot for indoors in winter.

Like I said, biggest wuss. Honestly, though, I'm enjoying having functional central heat. Grew up with kerosene heaters in a drafty house and my last place the heat never worked right so I used space heaters.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have discovered the heat in my flat doesn't work. I actually can't be arsed to get it fixed because it's only really bad in the evenings and I'm only in one evening a week.

That one evening though, woo. I am glad for slippers and blankies I tell you what.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular

You know what you must do now.

Spicy honey-nut Cheerio crusted tuna steaks.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That actually sounds like something I would enjoy eating.

Does it come in a casserole?

It was kind of fun too, because we'd also be alternating getting groceries every week.

Which means your roommate could have bought some odd as fuck ingredients, and you could expand your repertoire by figuring out how to make a meal out of it.

Although sometimes someone wouldnt feel like cooking and the others didn't really feel like eating much and we just had kraft dinner

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular

Does it come in a casserole?

Haven't tried this recipe with the substitutions I made, but they shouldn't be too different from the bread crumbs.

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 cup butter, divided
    1 (8 ounce) package uncooked medium egg noodles
    1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 stalk celery, finely chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
    2-3 serrano peppers, finely chopped (keep the seeds if you want more heat).
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 cups milk
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained and flaked
    1 cup frozen peas, thawed
    3 tablespoons crumbled honey nut Cheerios
    2 tablespoons butter, melted
    1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees . Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish.
    2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add egg noodles, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
    3. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Stir in the onion, celery, garlic, and serranos and cook 5 minutes, until tender. Increase heat to medium-high, and mix in mushrooms. Continue to cook and stir 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
    4. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan, and whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk, and continue cooking 5 minutes, until sauce is smooth and slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in tuna, peas, mushroom mixture, and cooked noodles. Transfer to the baking dish. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small bowl, mix with crumbled Cheerios and sprinkle over the casserole. Top with cheese.
    5. Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until bubbly and lightly browned.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

We keep ours at 15 and bump it up a little if it's exceptionally cold.
    It's enough to walk around the house in a t shirt and some comfy sweatpants. Maybe slippers if you sit still for too long.

We're required by contract with the building management to not set it below 10 in the winter because water lines have frozen in the past.

Good God, @Kakodaimonos you are a wizard.

#pipe wrote: »

We keep ours at 15 and bump it up a little if it's exceptionally cold.
    It's enough to walk around the house in a t shirt and some comfy sweatpants. Maybe slippers if you sit still for too long.

We're required by contract with the building management to not set it below 10 in the winter because water lines have frozen in the past.

Wait, someone had to convince you to keep your house above 50F? Are you part yeti?

I mean, I can handle cold weather reasonably well outside with a coat. I'm not a huge fan of sub-zero temps, but I can deal. Inside though? Damn, I want to be able to relax, not have my body constantly braced to ward off hypothermia.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I am reasonably certain our old house would get down to something like ten degrees at night and we would rarely run heating.

I'm having trouble adjusting to the heat as we come into summer lately. Like it's been 32 degrees and I feel like I've been struggling a bit when I know it's not that hot.

Yeah, in aus you get used to having houses with shitty or no insulation, so cold nights are no biggie. I remember living somewhere where the water glass by my bed would have an ice layer in the morning, although that was frankly excessive.

Well, if the absurdly high price on housing wasn't deterring me, having to use an ice pick for my water glass would.

Never moving to Australia I guess.

Definitely going to visit one of these days though...

that was in the mountains. Most places it doesn't get very cold. From sydney up it never gets cold.

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    speaking of australian house prices, my fiance and i just got pre-approval for an extension of our loan to up to a million dollars so we can get a house and also keep our apartment

with around a $700,000 budget, we'll be ecstatic to get something like a townhouse with two bedrooms in sydney

sC4Q4nq.jpg
This discussion has been closed.