As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Renting] Thread

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    I bought a rug!

I had no idea i would be so excited about buying a rug! What the hell has happened to me?

You've been thrown for a loop.

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    So, I don't really have any urge to decorate on my own. I have a couple things that I've been meaning to get framed and then I never get around to it. Maybe over Thanksgiving break I'll sit down and write out the measurements for what frames I need and finally get a move on it.

I figured it would be easiest to start by room so I chose the living room and downstairs bathroom as starting points since that's where guests would see. I sent my middle sister some photos because her place looks great and asked her for some color suggestions.

I did not expect to get a million suggestions. But at least that's a starting point. Wow.

• marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    3 weeks of house hunting for a new rental now, still no luck. And my housemate has decided that there are exactly two suburbs that she'd like to live in, so I don't think our chances are very good.

Buying is starting to look more and more attractive. There must be some formula or spreadsheet or graph I can devise to help me decide if it's worth it.

marty_0001 on
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    (Move to Perth)

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Think me and Kyle are going to try and paint the bedroom over winter break. It is the starkest white, almost depressingly so. Color suggestions? Small-ish room, two closets (painted wood panels, also white).

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    3 weeks of house hunting for a new rental now, still no luck. And my housemate has decided that there are exactly two suburbs that she'd like to live in, so I don't think our chances are very good.

Buying is starting to look more and more attractive. There must be some formula or spreadsheet or graph I can devise to help me decide if it's worth it.

Call a mortgage broker dude.

They'll break it down and tell you what you need/don't need in regards to financing.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    In house news it's only taken a hundred dollars, three weekends and one Monday messing about in the dark getting bitten by mosquitos but my reticulation is running again and no longer leaks!

I think for my next trick I'm going to tear up the plants in my front area and replace them with some natives/succulents.

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Think me and Kyle are going to try and paint the bedroom over winter break. It is the starkest white, almost depressingly so. Color suggestions? Small-ish room, two closets (painted wood panels, also white).

Remove the paint from the wood and varnish it, continue from there?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    (Move to Perth)

Never!

Blake T wrote: »

They'll break it down and tell you what you need/don't need in regards to financing.

I'm not so much looking for how much of a deposit I need, or cost of solicitor's fees or whatever, it's more that I want to work out some sort of price point where I can say that I really might as well be paying off a mortgage rather than paying rent. And for that, I would guess a mortgage broker would be trying to sell you on a home loan because that's how they make their money.

So like, if you have $500 a week to spend, and your rent is $250, then you keep the other $250 to save for a deposit. Or if you bought a house, and the loan repayment is $500 a week, then you would want the principle component to be at least $250 in order to make it worth your while. If it was only $200, then you're losing $300 in interest and you might as well go back to spending $250 on rent.

This doesn't take into account the non-monetary benefits of owning over renting, but even then you might be able to put a price on those, because at some point you're going to say it's not worth paying so much interest on your mortgage.

There's also the appreciation in the value of the house too but I think that is hard to predict.

Tef wrote: »
    (Move to Perth)

Never!

Blake T wrote: »

I'm not so much looking for how much of a deposit I need, or cost of solicitor's fees or whatever, it's more that I want to work out some sort of price point where I can say that I really might as well be paying off a mortgage rather than paying rent. And for that, I would guess a mortgage broker would be trying to sell you on a home loan because that's how they make their money.

So like, if you have $500 a week to spend, and your rent is $250, then you keep the other $250 to save for a deposit. Or if you bought a house, and the loan repayment is $500 a week, then you would want the principle component to be at least $250 in order to make it worth your while. If it was only $200, then you're losing $300 in interest and you might as well go back to spending $250 on rent.

This doesn't take into account the non-monetary benefits of owning over renting, but even then you might be able to put a price on those, because at some point you're going to say it's not worth paying so much interest on your mortgage.

There's also the appreciation in the value of the house too but I think that is hard to predict.

If you were only paying fifty percent of your interest at the beginning then you would own your house within five years.

Paying majority interest works because over a long time the principal starts to exceed the interest portion. And over time your equity increases that puts you in a better financial place.

Talk to a mortgage broker. Yes it's their job to buy something but they understand it far better than you or I.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Marty why do you wound me so?

You're right about the payment structure re:payments against principle in the short to medium, but you'd also have to factor in that you can also borrow against the equity in 5-10-15 years and expand into other properties or whatever investment you have your sleeve. I don't know if that's a compelling argument for you or not, but for me personally it was a large plus. I mean shit, you're in finance so I don't doubt you know this shit better than I do, I'm just saiyan

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Remove the paint from the wood and varnish it, continue from there?

remove the wood panels because wood panels are the ugliest thing in the world

but if you're not willing to do demo and construction then yeah at least unpaint the wood

the rest of the room should be blue because blue is the best

2x39jD4.jpg
  • FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    So, when I signed the contract for this place there was a clause saying that as it was new production the rent might be adjusted in case the apartment ended up a different size than on paper. I didn't hear anything about it for a few months and forgot all about it.

I guess the place is smaller than planned because they just lowered my rent by $30 a month retroactively from May 2012. That was a nice surprise on this month's invoice.

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    One more night of packing.

I am so, so ready to be done with this whole process.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    I wish there were an OKCupid kind of thing but for searching for roommates, complete with like, chat and meeting up beforehand

Pony and his lady are our roommates currently and they'll be moving out in about half a year

Cass and I are now in the process of figuring out how to find new roommates

People we know either don't have reliable incomes or are decently settled

I know we've got a lot of notice which is nice but I basically just want the perfect roommates to fall in our lap at the last minute again

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    My new flat is now FURNISHED

I can have people over for movies and rampant alcoholism now.

Hey home people.

Anyone have good suggestions of stores to check out for a coffee table and end table set? I'm looking at some possible gift ideas for my parents, but I don't want to break the bank.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    Hey home people.

Anyone have good suggestions of stores to check out for a coffee table and end table set? I'm looking at some possible gift ideas for my parents, but I don't want to break the bank.

I got a decent coffee table and end table set from a Target sale last year for 200, mix of wood and pulp board. they're decent for what they are except I shouldn't have installed the shelf board on them since its just particle board and only held in place with four dowels.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Yeah I was looking at Target and saw a few options that are promising. I think they have better decor options that would fit my parents family room better than a place like Ikea.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    So two of housemates have decided to start dating... anyone been in this situation before?

Liiya wrote: »
    So two of housemates have decided to start dating... anyone been in this situation before?

This could get super awkward if things go badly.

When I worked in housing I had residents that wanted to live with the person they were dating which you could only do if you were in a same sex relationship (there were co-ed dorms, but not individual rooms.)

I could understand if you have already been dating for a while, but I was always really baffled by the people who had only been dating a few weeks or months when they made that call.

• Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular

Swim awayyyyy. Never seen that end well.

Uuurgh I thought thats what I'd hear!

The situation is girl housemate broke up with her (horrible) boyfriend, then a few days later made out with boy housemate on a night out. She talked to me about it and I was "you need to be careful here, think about what you're doing" and then a few days after that slept together. He wanted to be in a relationship, and she wasn't sure cause she'd just broke up. Again I said "be careful here, don't lead him on" and now they are casually dating.

I'm not sure I can see this ending well. We three were gonna move into a new place at end of academic year, I may need to re-think??

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    That sounds like a recipe for disaster if they end up breaking up and it not being amiable.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
    Especially if she's just sort of stumbling a long.

It would be an entirely different thing if this was just a guy that you both knew and who was over all the time. Living together puts a really different pressure on the situation.

Aaargh balls.

When it comes to finding somewhere new I'll have to see how they are. And in the mean time just put up with it.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Yeah, never living with a couple again.

Fun fact: when you live with a couple, you lose every vote.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    TheStig wrote: »

Awesome.

Everything will be discussed and decided prior to your involvement. Anything resembling a discussing with you will only be a courtesy.

I am not feeling very positive right now.

To be fair, this is not every couple. It depends on the dynamic.

If I lived with both Godmode and my best friend I think that would probably mean that Godmode would lose every vote.

Luckily girl housemate and I get along really well, so you never know.

Also my uni course gives me lots more work than both of them, so I'm not always about!

To be fair, this is not every couple. It depends on the dynamic.

If I lived with both Godmode and my best friend I think that would probably mean that Godmode would lose every vote.

Yeah that was probably just my brother and his girlfriend. I lived with my brother and it was great until his girlfriend moved in. I can guarantee the words "tell him yourself" never left his mouth. I had to hear everything from her through him.

Also my uni course gives me lots more work than both of them, so I'm not always about!

I would suggest just holding back on any big criticisms of him. Just to be safe.

If you remain the supportive and a good listener she will be more likely to listen to you about general house stuff. If she thinks you are overly critical of her relationship she is more likely to side with her boyfriend on any issue that comes up.

I would suggest just holding back on any big criticisms of him. Just to be safe.

If you remain the supportive and a good listener she will be more likely to listen to you about general house stuff. If she thinks you are overly critical of her relationship she is more likely to side with her boyfriend on any issue that comes up.

This is wise, this will keep things without confrontation!

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    @Liiya I had that situation happen in uni. These two kept hooking up then breaking up because the guy wanted the relationship and the girl wasn't so into it but kept failing at saying no. It made for some awkward moments but we were quite lucky that it never really affected the group dynamic.

There were 7 of us in a massive house so we could avoid those 2 when they were in one of the bad phases. Might be harder if you're in a smaller house.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The solution is simple, just have the person you're dating move in! Now you have as much voting power!

There's four of us all together in a Victorian terrace house, it'll be harder to avoid.... hum. I might be lucky??

Then have a kid! Bam, 3 votes.

Genius!

This discussion has been closed.