Options

[Excitement on!] Disgaea PSP

2»

• Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    This is pretty much going to force me to pick up a PSP. I love Disgaea and the ability to play it on a plane or in the car (or in the bathroom at work) is worth the $250 + $50 asking price.

Any other N1 titles in the pipeline?

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gilder wrote: »
    Project37 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting on Disgaea DS.

I'm pretty sure Houk has explained multiple times why this will not be happening anytime in the near future, no matter how much we want it.

What was the reason?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

I'm pretty sure Houk has explained multiple times why this will not be happening anytime in the near future, no matter how much we want it.

What was the reason?

I seem to remember the main reason for NIS not doing DS stuff is that they're a niche company and it's just too expensive to do DS cartridges. Combined with how they're already familiar with PSP hardware, it just doesn't work out in the DS's favor. I doubt it'll last too long though and we'll get something on DS eventually.

Gilder on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Drooly drooly drool.....

Get thee out now game! :rotate:

LockeCole on
  • Options
    RealityReality Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

What was the reason?

I seem to remember the main reason for NIS not doing DS stuff is that they're a niche company and it's just too expensive to do DS cartridges. Combined with how they're already familiar with PSP hardware, it just doesn't work out in the DS's favor. I doubt it'll last too long though and we'll get something on DS eventually.

Am I late to the party? Has this already been discussed? If so I apologize, I left my mind in Utah.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/46356

NIS America Announces Four for PS2/PSP, Hints at Wii/NDS [02:53 pm]...

snip

...Finally, during a presentation on NIS America's new RosenQueen Company online store, a company executive strongly hinted that Nippon Ichi is moving into Wii and Nintendo DS development. "I've heard rumors--just rumors!--that NIS is preparing DS and Wii contracts," the exec laughed. The point was further solidified by the multiple Wii and DS accessories the company now sells online.

Just rumors yes, but the assessories in the store make me hope that my once pointless hope is less hopeless now.

Reality on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    t gilder - if it makes you feel any better, my favorite Prinny voices are still the originals, and those were all done by Atlus employees.

t LCDXX - we havent really talked about it yet, as it's still quite a ways off, but you can pretty much bank on it. The jpns release had the original OST plus new tracks as a bonus, and im hoping at least for that.

t Terrorbyte - the 'main' N1 game out this year is Soul Cradle, another SRPG with a twist, as well as a more 'serious' storyline (but still with plenty of humor wrapped inside).

About DS - it's not, like, an impossibility that N1 will do a DS game. They just, for whatever reason, have decided to focus solely on Sony stuff, and as far as i know thats not about to change anytime soon. NIS, however, definitely has the opportunity to localize other Nintendo-based (or MS, if there were any worth doing) games in the future.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I just thought of something. Are we going to get some awesome item descriptions in this version? The first game didn't get many funny item descriptions, although we did get a few, but new items have been mentioned for this version. I assume that those will at least have some humor in them? Also who did the main translation the first time around? Atlus or NIS? I was wondering if we're going to see the exact same script for the main story or if it's going to be tweaked a little bit.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I just thought of something. Are we going to get some awesome item descriptions in this version? The first game didn't get many funny item descriptions, although we did get a few, but new items have been mentioned for this version. I assume that those will at least have some humor in them? Also who did the main translation the first time around? Atlus or NIS? I was wondering if we're going to see the exact same script for the main story or if it's going to be tweaked a little bit.
    Atlus did the original version. I'm sure we can fix old text errors if we find any, but im not sure about actually rewriting anything, as all the voice is already recorded and set in stone.

any new items will get new descriptions, certainly humorous if they lend themselves to it.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    Atlus did the original version. I'm sure we can fix old text errors if we find any, but im not sure about actually rewriting anything, as all the voice is already recorded and set in stone.

any new items will get new descriptions, certainly humorous if they lend themselves to it.

Ah okay. I was just curious because I didn't know who held the "rights" to the original translation. I was just hoping Atlus wasn't keeping it locked up tight or anything but I would think that since it's an NIS game that NIS would hold the rights to use the translation. Atlus doesn't really seem like a company to be a jerk and hold a translation hostage anyway.

Gilder on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't think portable disgaea is a good idea.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SirToons wrote: »

BURN THE WITCH! :rotate:

LockeCole on
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SirToons wrote: »

Okay. Thanks for sharing.
    any particular reason why? Or do you just hate fun? Or maybe just hate making fun portable?

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't think portable Disgaea is a good idea.

This is true, because all of a sudden the most popular NIS time sink of a game ever can be played anywhere. It's downright dangerous. And yet, it's the best worst idea ever!

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    TxdoHawk to thread: Wiiiise from your gwave!

Henroid on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    And let's rename it 'Afternoon of Darkness' while we're at it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This had a pretty good OP, so I didn't think a new thread was in order. One subject rename and she'll be as good as new!

But yeah, I recently picked up a PSP again, awesome games like this are largely what motivated me. Having never gotten far in the original PS2 release, I look forward to being able to take a crack at the game pretty much any time I want. The NIS games beg for portable treatment, and I'm glad to see that it's happening.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Clarification: it's not renaming, as this isn't the same game. We don't hold the copyright to 'Hour of Darkness' anyway. We briefly considered 'Afternoon Delight' but didn't think that quite sent the right message.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Clarification: it's not renaming, as this isn't the same game. We don't hold the copyright to 'Hour of Darkness' anyway. We briefly considered 'Afternoon Delight' but didn't think that quite sent the right message.

I think he was talking about renaming the actual thread from Disgaea PSP to Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness. ;-)

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    homargoodnesshomargoodness Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

so wait, i'm confused, how many disgaea psp games are coming out? are afternoon of darkness and disgaea portable 2 seperate games?

homargoodness on
    homarg00dness.png
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LIVE! DAMN YOU, LIVE!

Houk: I was wondering: why did this have an 11-month difference between the Japanese and US release instead of the 3-4 month we're used to for NIS?

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I think he was talking about renaming the actual thread from Disgaea PSP to Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness. ;-)
    Oh. Hahaha. Nevermind then, I'm stupid.

t homar - no, just the one game. I thought he was saying we 'renamed' disgaea as if it were the same game, even though it's a new platform with additional content. But it appears I'm a boob, so nevermind me.

t behemoth - that would be the extra time necessary to add multiplayer to the US release (although the delay is almost never 3-4 months, and is generally closer to 6 months).

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Oh. Hahaha. Nevermind then, I'm stupid.

t homar - no, just the one game. I thought he was saying we 'renamed' disgaea as if it were the same game, even though it's a new platform with additional content. But it appears I'm a boob, so nevermind me.

t behemoth - that would be the extra time necessary to add multiplayer to the US release (although the delay is almost never 3-4 months, and is generally closer to 6 months).

Ohhhhhhhhhh, Ok, that makes sense. Multiplayer would be difficult to add to a game like this, especially on the PSP, on top of the localization.

Yeah, looking at the release dates I was a little off. NIS games always come out in the US in August, for some reason...

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shit, so when is this out?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Yeah, looking at the release dates I was a little off. NIS games always come out in the US in August, for some reason...
    It's because N1 releases one major game a year, and that's generally around end of January/into February. Then, six months later, the localization stork delivers said game to American shores. That's how it was supposed to be with Soul Nomad, but for various reasons we had to delay by a month.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Behemoth wrote: »
    It's because N1 releases one major game a year, and that's generally around end of January/into February. Then, six months later, the localization stork delivers said game to American shores. That's how it was supposed to be with Soul Nomad, but for various reasons we had to delay by a month.

Isn't Afternoon of Darkness getting re-released in Japan anyway? With multiplayer included this time?

Dublo7: Wikipedia says the 30th of October. Man, I hope Koei localise it to PAL as quickly as they did with Disgaea 2.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    And Soul Cradle PAL too. I love me some world destruction.

I would like to thank everyone working on Phantom Brave, not only for its unconventional sphere-grid approach, but for its truly heart-warming story (finally - a marketing bullet-point I can agree with wholeheartedly). Everything clicked for me with this game and I've spent some quality time with it.

You (as in NIS, not sure who gets to make the call for this one) should consider adding the "music shop" option to every next game that will be made, even if it includes music from previous games (which, I think, wouldn't be such a hassle with licensing and stuff) for the variety. Actually, that wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    TxdoHawk wrote: »
    I don't think portable Disgaea is a good idea.

This is true, because all of a sudden the most popular NIS time sink of a game ever can be played anywhere. It's downright dangerous. And yet, it's the best worst idea ever!

See, they even thought ahead and incorporated a short term battery life on the PSP to cover just that.

Actually, thats really the only thing I'm worried about once my copy gets here is that the battery life might get frustrating having to charge it so much.

Which brings up another thought. I might have missed it reading through the topic, but Houk, is there some sort of temp memory save option available so you can suspend your current game ala Advance Wars/Fire Emblem and continue once you next boot it up?

Kelor on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This is so bought the day it comes out.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Houk: Tell Rosenqueen.com to get a preorder up on their site, STAT. Getting tired of waiting! I almost preordered at EBstop last night but I was all like "no - must wait for awesome goodies".

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LCDXX wrote: »
    Houk: Tell Rosenqueen.com to get a preorder up on their site, STAT. Getting tired of waiting! I almost preordered at EBstop last night but I was all like "no - must wait for awesome goodies".
    yeah whens the pre-order going up. I missed out on the last one!

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png