As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Galactic Civilizations III is out

• Options
    IslandDogIslandDog Registered User regular
    The Galactic Civilizations III beta is now available. :)
    The Galactic Civilizations III beta includes:

Race-specific tech trees – Each race discovers the secrets of creation in its own way. Look out for Drengin invasions a whole age before anyone else can pull one off.

Ideology rework – Get an entire invasion fleet for free, take control of all planets inside your sphere of influence, and more!

Huge hulls – For when you absolutely, positively, have to kill every last filthy alien in the quadrant.

New colonization events – Thirty more events will challenge your ideology whenever you bring the light of civilization to a new world.

Terraforming – Maximize your adjacency bonuses by filling in gaps on your colonies with SCIENCE!

Map features – Durantium, Elerium, and Antimatter are now on the map, waiting to be harvested by your starbases. Watch out for black holes!

So much more – reworked planet traits, shipyard queues, automatic improvement upgrading, tons of new art, vastly improved rendering (ships are so shiny now!), the list goes on.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I'll get GalCiv III pretty soon after it gets released. Seems like they've changed a lot of things I wanted to improve in 2 exactly the way I hoped.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Sorry sleep, you're not welcome here anymore.

Come to papa, caffeine.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    GalCiv is 10% off on steam right now for the Beta.

I would kill for a stand alone ship creator. I would play with that for hours. either have it free like a demo or charge $5 and have it come off the price of the game. either way.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Guyssssss

I'm getting closer and closer to just ordering this.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    What would make you order it?

• Options
    Being bored enough with my still week and a half off and wanting to 4x but not wanting to play the ones I already have enough.

Pretty much if it gets to that level I'll just get it and play the everloving crap out of it.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    The beta isn't content complete. It still only has one victory condition and is missing a lot of other features.

The biggest surprise I had was just how similar it feels and looks to Galactic Civilizations 2. Textures are sharper, but to me it doesn't seem like a leap forward yet (if you discount the inclusion of multiplayer). If you're just going to play by yourself I'd get/reinstall GC2's Ultimate Edition for the time being.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    I do have GalCiv II ultimate.... maybe I'll just play that for a while then.

• Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    Just FYI. Humble bundle is doing a bundle where you can get Gal Civ 2 Ultimate for a minimum of $1. Anyone still not sure about gal civ can try it for very low price now.

• Options
    There's a dev livestream today at 3pm EST. The Lead Designer will be talking about the next upcoming patch and taking questions. :)

It'll be on Twitch.

• Options
    For those in the beta, a new patch went up today to address the laptop graphic card issue and other various fixes. The full changelog is here.

• Options
    Beta 2 has arrived! :)
    • Diplomacy – Make friends, broker deals, and threaten uppity neighbors in your bid for galactic dominance
    • Trade – Boost your economy through trade, or take a more proactive approach by raiding enemy trade routes
    • The United Planets – Enact game-altering edicts, embargo your rivals, or face the wrath of a galaxy united by defying the council’s resolutions
    • The Krynn – Take control of the Krynn faction: a conglomeration of alien species whose government is in the pocket of organized crime
    • Expanded Interface – Effortlessly command a galaxy full of colonies and fleets with rally points, mass upgrades, and more

• Options
    I was just playing this a bit last night (got a small case of onemoreturnitis).

Any chance we can turn on the ship designer from the main menu, @IslandDog?

• Options
    Not yet, but eventually. :)

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    They changed up the Krynn lore?

• Options
    edited November 2014
    If you have been creating ships in the ship designer, we have a contestgoing you might be interested in. :)

IslandDog on
  • Options
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    No vulgar or harassing submissions will be accepted.
    Well, so much for my idea...

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Wish I still had those ship files from GalCiv2 where I made a thalan robot ship. Had a little face and everything. I think I made Gyroscope ships the last time I played.

• Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    I don't know what you people have going on in your life. Maybe you're planning for a wedding, working insane hours to stave off starvation and homelessness, or maybe you're lying in a ditch, bloody with abstract thoughts about existence and your place in the universe.

Stop it right now, put everything else on hold, and go to the Stardock website. Everything they have to offer is 50% off, including the GalCiv3 beta.

http://www.stardock.com

I've been playing the GalCiv series for 7-8 years now, and it was a major pain in the ass to reinstall GalCiv and GalCiv2 since Stardock doesn't seem to use Impulse and/or the godawful Gamestop bullshit Steam wannabe anymore. They offer Steam codes for everyone! I rebought the older games and now, I can install everything without a blood sacrifice and the expressed written consent from Major League Baseball.

I was on the fence about GalCiv3, and was waiting until the official release before giving them money, but after spending thousands of hours committing genocide and destroying galaxies on the first two, I realized I couldn't afford to not buy GalCiv3 for $22.

What are you doing? Quit reading this and get a guaranteed time waster for half off! The deal's only good for a few more days.

Also, I'm preemptively adding that I'm not a shill, despite the horribly shill-like post.

• Options
    Boo8erBoo8er Registered User regular
    Hopefully I will be getting this game soon. I would love to see how they have made some changes to it. However, I am worried that It might just be another SOTS II where it is a disappointment.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    I don't know what you people have going on in your life. Maybe you're planning for a wedding, working insane hours to stave off starvation and homelessness, or maybe you're lying in a ditch, bloody with abstract thoughts about existence and your place in the universe.

Stop it right now, put everything else on hold, and go to the Stardock website. Everything they have to offer is 50% off, including the GalCiv3 beta.

http://www.stardock.com

I've been playing the GalCiv series for 7-8 years now, and it was a major pain in the ass to reinstall GalCiv and GalCiv2 since Stardock doesn't seem to use Impulse and/or the godawful Gamestop bullshit Steam wannabe anymore. They offer Steam codes for everyone! I rebought the older games and now, I can install everything without a blood sacrifice and the expressed written consent from Major League Baseball.

I was on the fence about GalCiv3, and was waiting until the official release before giving them money, but after spending thousands of hours committing genocide and destroying galaxies on the first two, I realized I couldn't afford to not buy GalCiv3 for $22.

What are you doing? Quit reading this and get a guaranteed time waster for half off! The deal's only good for a few more days.

Also, I'm preemptively adding that I'm not a shill, despite the horribly shill-like post.

Is this a regional thing perhaps? I'm not seeing anything on sale except 3, and it's only $5 off?
    Galactic Civilizations Collection
    Control humanity's destiny in this space based collection.
    Galactic Civilizations III - $49.99 $44.99
    The latest installment of one of the highest-rated strategy series of all time.

Buy Now
    Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate - $19.99
    Get the complete GalCiv saga including this year's #1 PC strategy game Galactic Civilizations II, Dark Avatar, and Twilight of the Arnor!

Buy Now
    GalCiv I: Ultimate - $9.99
    Galactic Civilizations I: Ultimate Edition combines the award-winning Galactic Civilizations with the Altarian Prophecy expansion pack to create a stellar adventure.

Buy Now

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    @Bullhead‌
    It's a coupon code that you put in at checkout that takes 50% off.
    Use: Stardock50

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    @Bullhead‌
    It's a coupon code that you put in at checkout that takes 50% off.
    Use: Stardock50

That'd be the missing piece, thanks!

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Stream is up! They're going over the Yor right now. Apparently they don't have natural pop growth and you need to build Yor in your production queue. That's kinda neat.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    For those that didn't make use of the stardock anniversary sale. Gal civ 3 is again discounted fro 50% in a flash sale. will last about 10 hours more at the moment of writing.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    johnwing wrote: »
    For those that didn't make use of the stardock anniversary sale. Gal civ 3 is again discounted fro 50% in a flash sale. will last about 10 hours more at the moment of writing.

Link? I only see 20% off.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Wait, is this out already? I thought it was still in alpha?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    They recently updated to Beta 3. The game is still Early Access on Steam, but it is progressing at a smooth pace.

• Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    johnwing wrote: »

Link? I only see 20% off.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/226860/

Lasts about 19 hours, since flash deals are 24h now.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    50% off at this point is pretty good.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Beta 4 was released today! This update includes the battle viewer, gigantic and immense maps, ideology revamp, extreme worlds, and more. :)

Patch notes available here.

IslandDog on
  • Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    I'll probably end up buying this.
    Particularly because of the Yor. Man I love those dudes. And now I can BUILD more of them!!

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    Beta 4 patch 2 was released which fixes a variety of issues that have been reported.

Major Crash/Stuck Turn Fixes:
    • Fixed a crash within Miles, where too many sounds were being instanced at once.
    • Fixed a crash to handle a rare, but valid, case where a fleet is involved in 2 merges.
    • Fixed a multi-invasion crash that appeared to the user as a stuck turn.
    • Fixed a stuck turn in reference to a constructor moving to a full starbase, the AI no longer stalls at this point.
    • Fixed another stuck turn, where the AI was stalling on multi-invasion.
    • Fixed an instance where trapping an enemy ship, would stall the game.
    • Fixed a stuck turn where 2 fleets attack a defended planet and the second one can't execute the battle.

Fixes:
    • Fixed a culture radius oddity(Greatly appreciate the save files in reference to this issue.)
    • Fixed the anomaly rewarded survey ships not surveying. (Rest assured the previous pilots have been fired and the ships will now survey as intended.)
    • Fixed three instances where ship icons were not being displayed for ships.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    So I played GalCiv2 for awhile and liked a lot of things about it, but honestly I found it a bit too tedious and/or frustrating to really get into it. So since the GalCiv3 announcement, I've been kind of ignoring it? Like, props for continuing the legacy of MoO, but lots of people are doing that nowadays, so maybe it's time to look into some of those other games?

Then I watched what Stardock did with Elemental. Fallen Enchantress was fun, Legendary Heroes was great, and Sorcerer King is looking to be an absolutely terrific game, realizing the potential of the 4x/RPG hybrid in a way that no game before it has managed to achieve. That, in turn, has caused me to pause and come take a look at GalCiv3.

Any team with that kind of forward-thinking approach to game design merits very close attention. Stardock, you had my interest; you now have my attention. While I don't think I want to try to beta two of your games at once, I will definitely be keeping a close eye on GC3's development and reception. Race-specific tech trees alone are an incredible idea; I can't wait to see how this all comes together!

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Yeah. If Galciv 3 is as large an improvement on 2 as 2 was on 1 then it's going to be great (and I liked Galciv 1).

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Beta 5 update was released today with custom factions, planetary invasions, pirates, and much more. :)

Full changelog is here.

IslandDog on
  • Options
    There is a new opt-in patch out today that continues to address any issues players have come across. This patch also focuses a bit more on multiplayer.

There's also a new Design a Faction contest that was announced this week. :)

• Options
    Galactic Civilizations has been officially released today!
    Building an empire so culturally influential that rival worlds defect to your cause is perfectly viable, so long as you can keep their dropships from landing on your core worlds through literal defenses or soft-power diplomatic maneuvers.

Galactic Civilizations III also brings massive improvements to one of the highest-rated strategy series of all time. The 64-bit engine boosts the maximum number of empires on a map from 16 to 100, with a similarly dramatic explosion in possible galaxy size. The ship designer gives players total control over how they function as well as how they look. Any ship you’ve ever imagined can be created or downloaded. Each race has its own technology tree, which unlock unique powers like self-healing starship hulls and superpowered terraforming.

Finally, online multiplayer is a franchise first. Challenge your friends, or team up to see if your allied civilizations can dominate a hostile galaxy.v