As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fiasco] Camp Machete Lake: Come for the drugs and fog-shrouded island, stay forever

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »

I need more awesome buttons for that post!!!

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    If you're taking votes from the peanut gallery, mine are for Los Angeles 1936 or Back To The Old House. The latter for the Halloween theme, but I can't not vote for 30s noir either.

And is there a Prohibition-era Chicago playset, because really how can't there be?

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Last Frontier is piquing my interest, for some reason. Alaska's one of those places where real and not-quite-real can merge pretty easily, at least in my mind. Otherwise, Halloween theme!

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Well, it's not like you can't have spooky events happen in 1936 in LA or in Alaska.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    vertroue wrote: »
    I mean what is the worst that can happen we all blow up?
    I came as fast as I could!

• Options
    vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    O.o

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Player Suggestions
    Generally: Halloween theme
    Specifically: Camp Death, Back to the Old House, Salem 1692, Los Angeles 1936, Dysfunctions and Dragons, Keeping on the Borderlands, and Touring Rock Band

Audience Suggestions
    Generally: Halloween theme
    Specifically: Camp Death, Last Frontier

@Egos @Buddha73 Care to weigh in? Anybody else want to make a suggestion before we pick a play set?

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Camp Death!

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I propose my own playset: "Sir Fabulous is a Cool Guy"

Relations:
    1-6 Sir Fab

Needs:
    1-6 To be near Sir Fab

Locations:
    1-6 Sir Fab

Objects:
    1-6 Sir Fab

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Buddha73Buddha73 Registered User regular
    with Halloween just around the corner I like Camp Death. :) but LA 1936 would be awesome too.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    For another set that can have some fun connotations in keeping with the season, Objective Zebra may be another humble suggestion

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
  • Options
    yaaaa

Blood and Fire
  • Options
    Whoo and such

• Options
    look I am super pissed and bored at work. One of my officers called out today because she didn't like me yelling at her yesterday. So I am looking forward to this to not be pissed and bored.

Blood and Fire
  • Options
    Are you a cop?

• Options
    Security Lieutenant.
    I run my shift with up to 7 guards across 3 campuses. The person that called out was my dispatcher.

Blood and Fire
  • Options
    Whatever happens, it's gonna be a Fiasco
    Play set: Camp Death

Special Rules
    Stunt Dice
    Before starting, remove two white dice and two black dice from the dice pool, and replace them with four red stunt dice. Then roll them all to kick off the game as normal.

Whenever a stunt die is picked to resolve a scene, someone dies. Usually this will be an NPC, but don't be afraid to kill a PC this way. Just don't kill kill the character; do the deed "off-camera" to leave a bit of uncertainty. You never know when someone might make an unexpected reappearance.

Whichever player picks the stunt die to resolve the scene gets to decide whether that die is white or black for that scene.

During the Aftermath, don't roll any of the stunt dice. They won't affect your final outcome. However, they might help determine just who is killing people at Camp Clearwater.

Who Is The Killer?
    Slasher films are notorious for late-movie revelations and plot twists, and Camp Death is no exception. Before starting the game, choose one of the following three ways to identify the killer:

1. "I always knew there was something wrong with that one."

Just play the game as usual. The stunt dice will assure that people are dying, but let the fiction organically determine the identity of the killer. The identity of the killer will probably become obvious as the game winds down.

2. "Everyone is a suspect."

During play, any player who receives a stunt die may no longer appear "on-camera" in any scene with the killer. During the Aftermath, each player with stunt dice should roll them separately. Whoever has the highest total is the killer. If anyone ties, then they were both killers and were working together.

"But," you say, "what if a PC was in a scene with the killer before he or she received a stunt die?" Then apparently this slasher movie had a low budget and the mistake wasn't caught until after the film was cut. It wouldn't be the first B-rate horror flick with plot holes.

3. "Oh my God, it's Old Man Withers!"

Immediately before rolling the Aftermath, roll all the stunt dice. Use these dice to create two new relationships, connecting two of the characters to a newly revealed NPC. This NPC is the killer.

Everyone should pitch in ideas for the relationships and identity, but players who ended up with stunt dice get final say on assigning their dice to the relationship details. As in the Setup, the final stunt die is wild and can be any number.

If any players did not end up with stunt dice, they get the final say on which PCs those relationships connect with.

Once the identity of the killer has been defined, roll the Aftermath.

For "Who is the Killer?'...
    AGREE this post if you choose #1
    AWESOME this post if you choose #2
    BRO? this post if you choose #3

• Options
    Minion, roll 8d6 for BLACK DICE
    Minion, roll 4d6 for RED DICE
    Minion, roll 8d6 for WHITE DICE

BLACK DICE:
    8d6 25 [8d6=2, 2, 2, 5, 3, 3, 4, 4]
    RED DICE:
    4d6 22 [4d6=5, 5, 6, 6]
    WHITE DICE:
    8d6 28 [8d6=1, 4, 4, 2, 6, 3, 2, 6]

• Options
    edited October 2013
    THE SETUP
    1) Play set: Camp Death

2) Dice:
    Black Dice: 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5
    Red Dice: 5, 5, 6, 6
    White Dice: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 6, 6

(yeah, white is goldenrod, sue me)

3) Develop a web of Relationships and Details...
    Player positioning:
    jdarksun
    vertroue
    Grunt's Ghosts
    Denada
    Sir Fabulous
    jdarksun

Now, who goes first - who grew up in the smallest town? There were ~8.5k people in my home town when I turned 18 and moved out.

@vertroue
    @Grunt's Ghosts
    @Denada
    @Sir Fabulous

To find out who goes first!

After the first player is chosen, they Define something - either a Relationship, a Need, an Object, or a Location. Each player MUST have a Relationship between themselves and the player above and below them on the list. Each Relationship MUST have a Detail associated with it.

We also must have:
    One Need
    One Location
    One Object

We'll wind up with a couple additional things, probably an extra Need and Location.

To create (or further define) a Relationship, Need, Location, or Object, you must take a die from the dice pool. The color of the die doesn't matter (yet). The last die is "wild", and may have any value.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    as of 2012 St. Pete has 246,541 people

Blood and Fire
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I grew up (and still live) in a town of ~144,000 people, so I don't think I'll be starting first.

• Options
    Troy, AL 49,946 people (2012).

But I'd like to point out that 30K is college students and shouldn't count.

• Options
    Hey if it was current town I would win. 1,594 is how many live where I do now lol.

Blood and Fire
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    jdarksun wrote: »
    City folk.

Technically I live in Pike County, which is one of the largest counties in AL. But since I'm only 30 minutes from everything, I picked Troy as my hometown. I could have picked Goshen which has 303 people. Which is half the population of my high school (grades 6-12).

EDIT: And if we really want to get in to it, there are 9 people who live within a mile of me. To get you a better sense of how far out in the middle of nowhere I am, there are 50+ cows, 13 dogs, 5 cats, and at least 8 deer that I know of that call my dirt road home.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    I'm being a twerp. :lol: I live in an area with 2.6 million people, but technically Great Falls only houses 10-20k.

Well, if you want to get super technical, Great Falls isn't even a town, it's a CDP. Which is like a town for people too lazy to incorporate.

• Options
    Oh, so, unlike some games, table talk during Setup is encouraged. So we can chat about Relationships and stuff we like and whatnot until @Sir Fabulous tells us all about Fabulousville.

I'm a crazy person, so I'm likely to establish a Family/Romance/Local relationship with vertroue/Sir Fabulous.

Minion, roll 1d3 for relationship
    Minion, roll 1d2 for player

relationship:
    1d3 2 [1d3=2]
    player:
    1d2 1 [1d2=1]

• Options
    So... we are romantic? o.0

Blood and Fire
  • Options
    The characters we create can be, sure. Check out the full list here. But it's a cooperative storytelling game and we have plenty of dice, so it can be whatever we think is gonna make a good story (guided by the dice).

• Options
    Ok so I am going to choose a relationship with GG and take a two. So we are Family of some kind.
    I think this is right?

Blood and Fire
  • Options
    Jdark you win.

Still living in Hamilton, 10th largest city in Canada. (520,000 people)

• Options
    Naps are nice and I feel nice now.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    So actually I think GG's wins to start this mess
    edit: NM lets stay with what Jdark started.
    >.<

vertroue on
    Blood and Fire
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    So, The Setup is a cooperative planning thing - nothing's set in stone if we don't want it to be. The quickest way to go about this part is probably to make a proposal, and then get approval from the interested parties.

Setup elements are defined by removing a die from the dice pool, using the value to pick something. Either a general type (Relationship, Needs, Locations, or Objects), or the details for that thing.

Example - I grab a Black 4 and use it to define a Romantic Relationship between myself and @vertroue (if that's OK with her!).

vert grabbed a 2 (Black or White?), and used it to define a Family relationship between her and @Grunt's Ghosts (if that's OK with him!).

Remaining dice pool:

Black Dice: 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5
    Red Dice: 5, 5, 6, 6
    White Dice: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 6, 6

(if vert grabs a black die)

And it's @Grunt's Ghosts' turn to define something! He can define a general Relationship - between any undefined pair of adjacent players - or, he can Detail an existing Relationship. Or, he put a general Need (or a Location, or an Object...) on a pair of players.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Black 2.
    Yes I am good with that for Vertabulous tie.

vertroue on
    Blood and Fire
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Our Web of Relationships and Details
    JDARKSUN - VERTROUE RELATIONSHIP
    Category: Romance
    Element: Once, while drunk, at some stupid party...

DETAIL - Object
    Category: Smuggled goods
    Element: Several ounces of high-quality weed
    VERTROUE - GRUNT'S GHOSTS RELATIONSHIP
    Category: Family
    Element: Cousin

DETAIL - Location
    Category: Lake
    Element: Small island

Backstory Idea:
    So both our moms when to this camp years ago. There they both meet a guy, and they both fell in love. They spend all summer trying to win the guy's heart, until it got ugly. The sisters fought each other and was the talk of the camp. They guy broke it off with both of them, and left. Later that same night, the guy was found, chopped to pieces and those pieces were floating in the Lake. The police believed one of the sister's did it, but couldn't prove it. Both our mom's believes it's the other one who did it and they haven't talked since.

The event left one of our moms destroyed. One mom became a Trophy Wife, raised a nice family and is living a good life. The other mom is a drunk, always talking about "him", and she causes people to look at me or you weirdly. I'll let you pick who got who's mom as I'm sure we will be playing each other's moms if we ever have to.
    GRUNT'S GHOSTS - DENADA RELATIONSHIP
    Category: Work
    Element: Fellow Camp Counselors

DETAIL - Need
    Category: To get in
    Element: ...to a committed relationship
    DENADA - SIR FABULOUS RELATIONSHIP
    Category: Local
    Element: Crazy drunk and camp counselor

DETAIL - Need
    Category: To get away
    Element: ...from the cops
    SIR FABULOUS - JDARKSUN RELATIONSHIP
    Category: Secret
    Element: Bound by a dark secret

DETAIL - Location
    Category: Weather
    Element: Thick fog

Our Characters
    jdarksun as... Tommy Feldman!
    Tommy Feldman is the child of a broken home. His mom lives down in <YOUR TOWN>, where he lives during the school year. During the summer, though, he visit's his dad's family up by the lake - and gets to spend a week at the summer camp with his friends. He doesn't talk much about the summer, mostly just saying that it was "ok" then changing the subject.

Tommy wasn't into drinking or drugs until he started crushing hard on Kate, and now he can't seem to get rid of them. Not that he's tried. If people are buy drugs off him, they're usually not asking about his summers. Besides, it means he gets to hang around Kate.

vertroue as... Kate Pierce!
    Kate was is a troubled young adult. Her home life simply put; sucks. Her mom is an alcoholic. Her dad, non existent. So she grew up never knowing him. But she did know one guy.

Him.

That guy that mom never stopped talking about. That one she meet at camp 20 years ago. The one that her "bitch" of a sister stole from her. The guy that her sister killed. (Well it is in her moms story Kate has no clue and doesn't care). So never having a dad in her life, a mother drunk nearly 24/7, Kate soon fell into the wrong crowd.

By the time ahe was 18 she herself, already was into drinking(not as bad as her mom) and recreational drug use. She loved smoking pot. Her friends always knew she had "the good stuff" at all times.

She could often be found at parties around town drinking and smoking her favorites. It was at one of these paries that she met <insert jdarks name> . He was well to her inebriated and drugged haze that she ended up going...well know one really knows on her end. She has kept it pretty under wraps.
    Her one real pleasure is getting away from it all. She has a quiet pleasure for going to camp every summer. Even though she is getting almost to old to go. But not like she would tell anyone that she loves summet camp, that would ruin her reputation. Considering her cousin, her mom's bitch of a sister's kid is a counselor at the camp.

what a drag.
    *puffs*

Grunt's Ghosts as... Cathrine Banks!
    James Waters is the reason Cathrine Banks became a camp counselor. Last summer when Cathrine was just another camper, James showed (in Cat's mind) special interest in her, and that feeling hasn't ended. Now too old to go to camp, Cathrine volunteered so she could be closer to him.

But not all is going great this summer. Her cousin Kate is coming to the camp too and she's trouble. Cathrine has heard all about the bitch party girl and her insane, drunk mom. And even if Cathrine's mom won't talk about it, Cat knows about how Kate's mom killed her mom's sweetheart here, years ago. That kind of crazy seems to be running in Kate now too. Cathrine won't let Kate ruin this summer for her and has decided to make her life a living hell.

Denada as... James Waters!
    I'm going to be James Waters, a career camp counselor (if you can call 4 years a career) who loves everything about summer camp. The games, the songs, the traditions, they're the stuff that makes him feel like he's always got a place in the world, no matter where his military family ends up moving next. I mean, yes, technically he's an adult now and could just pick somewhere to live, but being a camp counselor isn't exactly lucrative.

Anyway, James has one of those magnetic personalities - not to mention being the attractive, slightly mysterious guy from out-of-town - so it wouldn't be crazy for him to be a love interest of some kind.

Sir Fabulous as... Charles Hess!
    harles Hess has been fishing at <The Camp> for as long as anybody can remember. While normally the camp staff would ask someone to leave, Charles has not only been at the camp for longer than any counselor, but has also shown himself to be extremely nice to the children, teaching young folk to fish . He appears to be completely harmless.

The camp staff know a different Charles. After the children leave, he drinks himself into a stupor. Although he seems to have no way of making money, he's never separated from his flask. Charles is always willing to share with you if you ask him kindly. All he asks is that you sit down and listen to his stories. Over the years he has seen and heard much that's gone on in the camp, and if you know the right things to say and the right rumours to follow up on, you might just find yourself with an interesting tidbit.

Auralynx as... the sign!
    MacheteLake_zps280ffe50.gif

jdarksun on
  • Options
    I don't think that there's a whole ton of stuff to say at this point.

The more we define the more ideas we'll have.

Right now, it's all up in the air, and I'm fine with anything.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I'm good with being family with Vert. Seems like she'd fit in with my dysfunctional family in RL!

Lets grab a white 3 for work relationship with Denada.

Grunt's Ghosts on