As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Wolf Among Us: Episode 5 out now!

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    just finished ep 3
    I killed dum without so much as a second thought after trying to play "overall a nice guy" bigby

am I an asshole, I didnt go to crane's apt

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Orders are orders.

I was kinda surprised to see some of the stats on the choices in this episode
    Burning the tree was by far the less popular option with only 18% going that route, which I can sorta understand, but killing Dum was only 47% and I thought it would be way more popular

I probably would have burned the tree but I didnt like snow's tone with that one so I was like "heh, nah"

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Yeah whenever someone tells me "that's an order" is the moment I tell them to fuck off.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    So how much do we figure @Cello giggled and blushed during that shirtless scene

I plead the fifth.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    I was kinda surprised to see some of the stats on the choices in this episode
    Burning the tree was by far the less popular option with only 18% going that route, which I can sorta understand, but killing Dum was only 47% and I thought it would be way more popular

Polygon actually had a pretty good discussion on this.

They basically talked about how much Snow had an influence over the player over the series, but specifically in this episode. And immediately before the *choice*, you get a nice big closeup of how horrified Snow is. I know in that moment I was like "wh - but - no Snow stop looking at me like that COME ON I'M NOT ACTUALLY GONNA DO IT." I think her reaction played more into it for me than actually considering the morality of the situation.

Meanwhile with the tree, I couldn't really choose! I wanted to do what Snow wanted, but I didn't want to ruin an old lady's life either. I actually wound up going with the silent option because I couldn't choose either way.

Steam
    Spoilers for episode 3
    I burned the tree
    It's what I was planning to do anyway, because I felt Greenleaf's activities were too much of a threat, but I actually almost changed my mind when Snow yelled an order at me, which I guess means... I have a problem with authority? I dunno

And I killed Dum
    I know I've been trying to play the redemptive Bigby but when it came right down to it, the Tweedles have caused death and pain and they've done it all with smiles on their faces and there had to be payment for that

A man's game charges a man's price

also Crooked Man stuff
    does anyone know who he might be? the line about wetting his pants until a certain age didn't clue me in at all

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    also Crooked Man stuff
    does anyone know who he might be? the line about wetting his pants until a certain age didn't clue me in at all
    I'm pretty sure the "wetting his pants" was an insult directed at Crane, not a description of the Crooked Man.

IKknkhU.gif
    Oh
    I guess I didn't follow that conversation at all then

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Hoo man, bought the first 3 episodes for 14 bucks on steam

I really really really love the relationship between Snow and Bigby
    At least for my Bigby, he really tries to be a good guy, because Snow wants him to... but anybody disrespecting Snow is immediately going to get it

Which almost always inevitably backfires and Snow ends up disappointed in him

He is so her dog, it's kind of adorable

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Spoilers for episode 3
    I burned the tree
    It's what I was planning to do anyway, because I felt Greenleaf's activities were too much of a threat, but I actually almost changed my mind when Snow yelled an order at me, which I guess means... I have a problem with authority? I dunno

And I killed Dum
    I know I've been trying to play the redemptive Bigby but when it came right down to it, the Tweedles have caused death and pain and they've done it all with smiles on their faces and there had to be payment for that

A man's game charges a man's price
    I just didn't really appreciate them sticking a shotgun halfway up my ass like the night before or whatever

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Actually wait no the hardest choice in the episode was:
    Not burning down the tree. One, it didn't seem right to actually literally ruin this lady's life for doing something which wasn't even technically illegal. Two, Snow really didn't have the authority to say "destroy it." But man it was hard to say no to Snow.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    also Crooked Man stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_Was_a_Crooked_Man

liEt3nH.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Man, this game just keeps getting better. I was really torn a few times here. Of course it also featured the easiest damn choice in the game. This is hardly even a spoiler but
    who the hell were the like 3% of people who didn't give Fly his job back? Like, even if you don't know who he is from the comics, he's so clearly just a really nice guy.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Man, this game just keeps getting better. I was really torn a few times here. Of course it also featured the easiest damn choice in the game. This is hardly even a spoiler but
    who the hell were the like 3% of people who didn't give Fly his job back? Like, even if you don't know who he is from the comics, he's so clearly just a really nice guy.

Wait what is this I missed this entirely.

Yeah... What are you talking about

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

Wait what is this I missed this entirely.
    It came up in the Tweedle office. He mentions that he was fired by Crane and asks if you can hire him back.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I don't know if they randomly sample choices or what but it was one of the things they showed at the end where it lists what you chose and how many other people made the same decision and that one was like 97%

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    I guess some people wouldn't see it if they didn't go to the tweedle office
    I did and I told him he'd have to talk to snow, which counted as a yes

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I finally finished Episode 2.

I uh kinda saw that coming.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    Ep 3:
    What do you learn at Crane's apartment? I only went to the Trip Trap and the Dee's office.

Crane's suite:
    There are some neat things like a statue of the Headless Horseman and a couple of things that further point out to Crane's deviation: an art of seduction book and a compromising stalker letter to Snow.

The most important things is an envelope containing a cryptic letter from the Crooked Man in Crane's desk along with a stack of confiscate-able money. You can find a key to Crane's bedroom that I used (I think you can still smash it open) which reveals Jack trying to leave with a duffel bag of stolen stuff. He offers to cut you a deal to give you the info on Crane's witch--which is just the name not location--if you pretend you didn't see him (personally, I hit him twice out of the three times the option was given). You can also grill him for more glamour tubes--and there are a bunch, 1 you find yourself and 3 more he gives you, which pointed out to me there is something big going on since Crane would only need the one for his stalker fantasies to play out and having more just means more likely to be caught. Eventually Snow will come up to check on you prompting to make the deal if you haven't already.

Ending decision:
    Having Snow there didn't change a thing with Dum. In fact her look of horror was the perfect result of that encounter. She isn't a Clementine and there's nothing to protect her from. In fact I'm exposing her to what's going to happen with her whole "burn the tree" decision being so set in stone in her mind. If she's going to damn someone to the streets she might as well learn to pull the trigger herself and see the consequences.

Since this was my "reasonable wolf" playthrough it allows for an interesting (potential) twist when my asshole wolf playthrough spares Dum.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So you know...ending of episode 3 spoilers
    At first I felt a little bad about killing the shit out of Dum.

But then thinking about it I just loved it as such a heat of the moment thing.

That said at the same time I think letting him go would have been a way to show that Bigby has truly reformed.

But personally, I'm playing Bigby has a guy who generally wants to do the right thing but has a short fuse and well...it just fit better thematically.

Its funny looking at the bars. That seems to be the most derisive decision so far.

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm sorry but
    you show up at a funeral with a shotgun? I'm revoking your throat privalages, son.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    I really like the way they design those violent encounters. Like they purposefully set it up so that exploding in violence is going to feel really rewarding and like the person had it coming.

And then inevitably Snow White finds out, who they've also set up so that you really want to live up to her expectations and take her side.

It ends up really capturing Bigby's whole character dynamic of not actually wanting to start trouble, but inevitably always falling into it. It's just a great job of audience manipulation.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    If Telltale does any more Fables stuff after this I would really like it if they went off into their own canon instead of following the comics.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I really like the way they design those violent encounters. Like they purposefully set it up so that exploding in violence is going to feel really rewarding and like the person had it coming.

And then inevitably Snow White finds out, who they've also set up so that you really want to live up to her expectations and take her side.

It ends up really capturing Bigby's whole character dynamic of not actually wanting to start trouble, but inevitably always falling into it. It's just a great job of audience manipulation.

Minor ep 3 spoilers
    Snow's line about Bigby enjoying it when things go wrong is such a clever commentary on the players themselves for that very reason.

IKknkhU.gif
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    also Crooked Man stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_Was_a_Crooked_Man

I was starting to think nobody else here had ever heard that nursery rhyme.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    "There Was a Crooked Man" is an English nursery rhyme. It has a Roud Folk Song Index number of 4826.

Lyrics[edit]
    Original Version:

There was a crooked man, and he walked a crooked mile.
    He found a crooked sixpence upon a crooked stile.
    He bought a crooked cat, which caught a crooked mouse,
    And they all lived together in a little crooked house.[1]
    Origin[edit]
    The rhyme was first recorded by James Orchard Halliwell in the 1840s and gained popularity in the early twentieth century.[2] Some say the town of Lavenham is believed to have inspired this rhyme.[3] Others maintain the poem originates from the history of King Charles I of England (1600–1649). The crooked man is reputed to be the Scottish General Sir Alexander Leslie. He signed a covenant securing religious and political freedom for Scotland. The "crooked stile" referred to in the poem was the border between England and Scotland. "They all lived together in a little crooked house" refers to the fact that the English and Scots had at last come to an agreement, despite continuing great animosity between the two peoples, who nonetheless had to live with each other due to their common border.[4]

So obviously this story is going to turn towards historical accounts of the United Kingdom.

Replaying for the first time
    That first scene - "Hey, you like my ribbon?"

Bigby you dunce she was trying to give you a clue!

Ugh still missing a Book of Fables entry from this episode

More replaying
    Oooh, Crane doesn't know the dead girl's a hooker at first. Once you tell him, he immediately runs off to go see his "masseuse".

Also man he makes Snow buy his wine for his Snow-themed-prostitute trips. Soooo gross!

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I couple of things I didn't like this episode
    When we found Crane and Snow was all "I don't think he's the killer" all the options were like "WHat?" and "Why do you think that?"
    I wanted to be able to say I called that ages ago

Then when we were arresting him I was like "... and suspicion of murder"
    Snow was like "No! I don't think he's the killer!"
    I KNOW. I agree with you, but that doesn't mean he's not a suspect
    We still have to arrest him on suspicion of murder. He's the prime suspect until we find evidence of the contrary

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    ahhh holy crap this episode was really good I hated having to make basically every decision

the only thing I was really torn on was
    killing dee and I ended up sparing him which felt right but I felt like the pause after making the choice to watch him change expressions and look at snow was too long, but whatever

I did really like that moment (not the pause) because I was all into tossing the tweedles around and when the prompt came up I instantly swung the mouse over to kill and then stopped for a second and ended up thinking for what felt like forever before sparing him

and then right after you get shot and you're mashing the button and oh god it isn't working very well
    go faster keep going she's walking closer
    almost there oh no it went backwards gotta go faster
    oh thank god its full no why aren't I getting up
    why isn't it working why aren't I ripping this woman in half oh no

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Episode three stuff:
    Haven't finished it yet, called time on it last night because the way things played out at the funeral were a good stop off point I guess.
    Maybe if I hadn't ripped Grendel's arm off for fucking with me he could've been less terrible at dealing with that other Tweedle and not let me get shot. I doubt it though.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Is there a delay before the tablet releases?

• Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Episode three stuff:
    Haven't finished it yet, called time on it last night because the way things played out at the funeral were a good stop off point I guess.
    Maybe if I hadn't ripped Grendel's arm off for fucking with me he could've been less terrible at dealing with that other Tweedle and not let me get shot. I doubt it though.
    spoiler
    Nope, went back and didn't rip his arm off, you and him still both get shot.

GUYS THE NEW EPISODE IS OUT (for PC, I think everyone else gets it tomorrow)

GUYS IT'S SO GOOD

Steam
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Yeah this episode was shit hot

The first one that made me sit back and really consider how I felt about the perspective of
    Snow
    I'm not sure I can share it with her

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png