As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Wolf Among Us: Episode 5 out now!

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Yeah, surprising no one, Telltale really managed making even the characters who are scum feel real and complex enough that you feel at least conflicted about being shitty to them. Except Bluebeard, but that's not Telltale's fault. Dude's canonically an irredeemable piece of shit.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    I've started reading through the comics, and yeah, the games are definitely better written.

One thing I've really noticed is how good the games are at NOT explaining things. The comics want to explain everybody within their first 3 speech bubbles. The games on the other hand realize that for instance they don't need to explain WHY they're all in America now, except that things got real bad and now they're all immigrants. It becomes a very timeless American Immigrant story, instead of the very specific backstory that the comics give.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Wait...episode 4 is out? Man I really have to keep up with this stuff.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Well I mean yeah it's easier to have the confidence to write fleshed out characters when the guy who took a chance with his own ip has already done the work for you

Langly on
    Fables came out when the idea wasn't necessarily something people were going to just roll with.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. I mean you really don't have to worry too much about backstory when there is already a backstory written for you.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    I just got this game two days ago. Holy shit.

Episode 1 spoilers
    I feel like such dick for ripping that guys arm off
    That's because Gren isn't even that bad of a dude! He's just stressed out!

Yeah neo what a monster

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    If nothing else, they've done a good job of:
    Making me feel bad about backing a government that really doesn't do jack to help out the have nots. Almost to the point where you somewhat understand the Crooked Man.

I'm still going to take him down, but I wish you had options more often to help out folks. At best most of the time you can just choose to not be a dick to them...but that's it.

camo_sig2.png
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Question that's not-really-spoilers but spoilered anyways:
    In Episode 1 at the bar, if you inspect the Cigarette Machine, Bigby will try to make a purchase but I've never had the cash to do it because I gave it to Faith.

In Episode 4 you can share a cigarette with the Woodsman and he will comment on it being a shitty brand. Does anybody know if this changes if you actually bought the other cigarettes from the machine?

Alternatively, if I rewind to Episode 1 and save after buying the cigarettes, can I then skip to Episode 4 with that save and still have them or would I need to play everything in between? I'm not too clear on how all the rewinding works.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Question that's not-really-spoilers but spoilered anyways:
    In Episode 1 at the bar, if you inspect the Cigarette Machine, Bigby will try to make a purchase but I've never had the cash to do it because I gave it to Faith.

In Episode 4 you can share a cigarette with the Woodsman and he will comment on it being a shitty brand. Does anybody know if this changes if you actually bought the other cigarettes from the machine?

Alternatively, if I rewind to Episode 1 and save after buying the cigarettes, can I then skip to Episode 4 with that save and still have them or would I need to play everything in between? I'm not too clear on how all the rewinding works.

I would think not because
    people commenting on his shit brand but also appropriately themed cigarettes is a recurring thing

2x39jD4.jpg
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Thought the ciggies he was going to buy in that machine were still Huff'n'Puffs.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• KanaKana Registered User regular

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/72196/episode-5-release-date-discussion-no-info-yet
    Release Dates

PC/Mac (Telltale Store and Steam) - July 8th, 2014
    PlayStation Network (North America) - July 8th, 2014
    PlayStation Network (EU) - July 9th, 2014
    Xbox 360 (Worldwide) - July 9th, 2014
    iOS App Store - July 10, 2014

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Episode 5 is out on Steam
    Apparently it wasn't Mary, which I guess means Georgie. Assuming one of the options is correct.

Fuck

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Waiting for SilverWind to get home is going to feel even longer than usual

dN0T6ur.png
    Oh goddamit
    I gave Toad the money! Why does he have to go to the farm?! It looks really bad that Colin's staying and I'm kicking out a dad and his kid.

Oh shiiiiiiii
    I considered that ending being possible awhile ago, but didn't really expect it to happen.

And now that I'm reconsidering it, shit, maybe I shouldn't have let her walk away.

Ending thoughts.
    I totally did have a suspicion that Faith might be alive and thought I posted about it, but I can't find the post so maybe not, but still that Keyser Soze ending, Holy Shit. Did find the post where I said Nerissa dropped the head off to get my attention, so I mean, that's basically true.

Wish I had stood up to Snow about Toad, he deserved to stay more than Colin did.

I went after Georgie first. I didn't realize the limo next to his car was the Crooked Man, but I also wanted to hear Georgie and Vivian's side of the story before confronting the Crooked Man. I put Georgie out of his misery, he didn't need to suffer.

Since I was trying to portray Bigby as trying to be legitimate, so I brought the Crooked man in for a trial. Regretted that decision a bit when he brought up that I abuse my power because I beat up Dee in interrogation, forgot about that. Good thing 'Nerissa' ran in. Chose to lock him up, although I'm not sure turning him into a crow for eternity is much more merciful.

The Faith thing has me conflicted. She was a sex slave in a bad position, but she still set up Lily and Nerissa to be killed, ratting them out. But still, they were all sex slaves, probably for the best to just let her walk.

Or shit, was that actually Nerissa and the Faith I met was Nerissa wearing a glamour? I think that actually makes more sense. I couldn't figure out how Faith would convince Nerissa to wear a Faith glamour and let Georgie kill her. If it was all Nerissa, then no, I not once considered that. Although then why would she be wearing the glamour in the first place? To build sympathy from Bigby when he finds her head later? But getting in a fight with the Woodsman just so Bigby gets called out so she can make an emotional connection with them? Seems a little convoluted.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I am 90% sure I'm going to have nightmares of Bloody Mary

CYpGAPn.png
  • CelloCello Registered User regular

The Faith/Nerissa ending just kinda confused the heck out of me! I kind of want to go back through and see if I can make more sense of it by focusing more on the Nerissa conversations.

I brought the Crooked Man back to trial and saw Georgie die after his lady pulled her own ribbon.

I was hoping for more closure on the Snow/Bigby front; anyone know if a second season is actually in the works? I was hoping this was going to lead to being its own canon, rather than an all-out prequel to the books.

Also, the Bloody Mary fight, oh man. The crunching glass every time she walked was a fantastic touch.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Overall, I think I liked it a lot more than The Walking Dead and think they made some great strides in character development and gameplay! The QTEs didn't bug me as much since they were much faster paced, and it felt like I had a ton more control over the plot/ending than in TWD season 1. I think also not feeling like someone is going to die every second makes it so that there's more potential to surprise the player with what ends up happening in the story, so I felt a little more invested in it.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    The whole bit in the Foundry made me convinced Telltale could make an excellent Horror game

like TWD is kind of a horror game but that sequence freaked me out more than anything in TWD

CYpGAPn.png
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    huh I might have to replay this

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Fabletown will remember that.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh god damn it every time I fire this up on Xbox to download the new episode it freezes up
    I press start, select my storage device and then it goes to a black screen and just stops

Okay I'm in but now it won't let me download it
    Are any of you guys playing on Xbox? All the other episodes have gone up a day later on Xbox, is that what's going on here

Yeah Xbox launches tomorrow, today was Playstation and Steam

CYpGAPn.png
    Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    because you are inferior

liEt3nH.png
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Cello wrote: »

The Faith/Nerissa ending just kinda confused the heck out of me! I kind of want to go back through and see if I can make more sense of it by focusing more on the Nerissa conversations.

I brought the Crooked Man back to trial and saw Georgie die after his lady pulled her own ribbon.

I was hoping for more closure on the Snow/Bigby front; anyone know if a second season is actually in the works? I was hoping this was going to lead to being its own canon, rather than an all-out prequel to the books.

Also, the Bloody Mary fight, oh man. The crunching glass every time she walked was a fantastic touch.

(Re: Episode 5 ending)
    The choices are basically either that Nerissa was impersonating Faith at the beginning and Bigby never met the real Faith while she was alive, or that Faith was impersonating Nerissa for the rest of the story and the real Nerissa's corpse was glamored into looking like Faith's corpse.

Personally, the idea that it was Nerissa all along makes more sense to me. For one, Prince Lawrence was still alive in my playthrough, but "Nerissa" seemed to be leaving town and never even mentioned him. For another, Georgie should have known which one he killed, and he always claimed to have killed Faith. The only way it would make sense would be if Faith and Nerissa were glamored as each other before Georgie came in which wouldn't really make a lot of sense unless "Nerissa" was lying to Bigby about more stuff (which is a possibility). Lastly, if "Nerissa" was really Faith, she'd have to be glamored full time until she could skip town, which would have been highly risky considering if Bigby failed she may never get the opportunity.

If you bring in comic knowledge, then you can also add that if Nerissa had really been the one to die, then a new little mermaid would have eventually appeared because "the little mermaid" is too popular to permanently die and so she'd have to be replaced. This would have made the idea of Faith pretending to be Nerissa even more difficult since once a new little mermaid appeared it would become clear that the original was dead. Whereas the Donkeyskin Girl being dead would probably never get a replacement.

Of course, one of the quotes that Bigby remembers is that he never heard what Swineheart discovered about Faith's body, implying that it was possibly not Faith's body at all. So that could throw a wrench into things.

There are still several loose ends though. Or at least things that my playthrough didn't uncover. Like why Crane had so many glamor tubes in his apartment (the ones Jack was stealing) and what appearances they granted.

Edit: More details
    After reading up, someone pointed out that way back in episode 1, one of the reasons Woodsman is pissed is because Faith claims not to remember him. This would make sense if it was really Nerissa pretending to be Faith.

Of course, there are also people who apparently believe it was Bloody Mary instead of Nerissa or Faith. Which I can only assume is because they just want more Bloody Mary.

Lars on
    Played through this twice just now, which isn't something I've done with other episodes. Played around with dialogue a bit.

Silence serves interestingly in this episode, and works very well in a few scenes.

Spoilers for the whole shebang:
    Especially the opening. Instead of Bigby making demands, he just stands, impassive and ominous, and watches the Crooked Man's organization tear itself apart just because he's standing there

On my first playthrough I killed the Crooked Man, at @SilverWind 's behest. I wouldn't have taken that decision myself, I don't think, but it felt pretty all right anyway. That was... definitely the most graphic strangulation I've ever seen in a piece of media. Then I scared the shit out of everyone in the room when they started shouting about me and I growled and that felt good, too, even if it made me feel kind of bad.

Second playthrough I went through the trial, which went pretty good. It really felt like I was winning over the whole group. And, well, who can say what I would have done to the Crooked Man before he tried to strangle me? In the end I thought there was a poetry in symmetry; as he did for Faith, and Lily, so too for him.
    Fabletown is afraid of the Big Bad Wolf.

The game kept up that "[name] will remember that." up until the end.

I know the answer is going to be no, but

Is there a chance we will see a Season 2?

dN0T6ur.png
    I kind of hope not, and assume the "now go buy some comics!" at the very end implies there won't be

6F32U1X.png
    I know, I know

They've done about all they can in the prequel space with the sense of finality this had

But still

I liked this a lot; I think in some ways I liked it better than The Walking Dead

dN0T6ur.png
    I'll just crosspost what I wrote in another thread earlier today
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Trying to articulate my thoughts on The Wolf Among Us now that I've finished the season, this is gonna be ramble-y but spoiler-free

I can't help but compare it to The Walking Dead, since that was such a seminal and unforgettable experience for me, and in that department I think it may come up a little short

I think The Wolf Among Us greatly improved on everything that was weak about The Walking Dead (overarching story, style, art, action) but faltered a little in what really made The Walking Dead for me (episodic stories, individual characters)

Basically how I'm feeling right now is The Wolf Among Us is a better single game and The Walking Dead is a better episodic story

The Walking Dead felt like a season, where time passes and each event is meaty and left you with a lot to think about with each new episode

With The Wolf Among Us I just wanted the next episode immediately because I never felt like I had a whole experience until the season was finished

I guess in summary, The Wolf Among Us is a very different kind of experience than The Walking Dead, but is absolutely just as vital

You should really play The Wolf Among Us

6F32U1X.png
    WAU was definitely a serial crime novel rather than a "season"

We got it in installments, but it was done in the style of penny dreadfuls or long-form stories that would be published in crime magazines in the 20s and 30s

I have a few friends who decided to wait for the whole shebang to be done before they played it, and I think that works better here than it did with The Walking Dead

dN0T6ur.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Just beat it, that was really great. Seeing this in the achievement menu was almost as great:

bMVSFBc.png

• BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Finished it, loved it.

It seemed obvious to me at the end that
    the little mermaid is not telling the whole story, and that little voiceover just confirms it.

cant wait for the next season. I kinda want to read the comic now too if thats possible or inexpensive.

• QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    Episode 5 Spoilers:
    I figured out it was Georgie at the last possible second: I had recently replayed the whole shebang in preparation, and they were pushing the cigarette thing pretty hard ("I thought only you smoked that shitty brand", Huff N Puff machine at the club, Georgie smoking a Huff N Puff right there). So I guess I skipped a lot of bullshit there.

Also I'm interested in the possible permutations. If you kill the Crooked Man, do you just skip the whole trial? What happens if you jump on the Crooked Man's limo first? Do you do the trial without Nerissa being able to say anything and save your bacon at the end? I also tortured Dee so Crooked Man was able to bring that up, but what if you were nice guy Bigby the whole time and he didn't have shit on you?

Toad still going to the Farm when I gave him money to buy the glamours was fucking bullshit but I understand it needed to be done for comic canon.

I also can't figure out the ending but I'm kind of a dumbass. Was the Faith Bigby met in the first episode really Nerissa the whole time? Or was the head left there Nerissa, and the Nerissa walking around now is Faith in glamour?

All in all, I really liked it - much better than I've liked the comics: they're pretty good, I just really enjoy what Telltale is doing with the setting more. Don't they have a decade of leeway before the comics start? I'd love a season two.

PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Re: Ending
    It definitely seems like it was Nerissa glamoured as Faith in the beginning, to make sure Bigby recognizes the head and pays that much more attention to the case. I almost expected the "Go After Her" option to get me some definite answers but I guess that was too much to hope for.

Does anything change in the trial much if you manage to save Prince Lawrence?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code