As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Solstice Arena] A fun speed MOBA w/o farming. Free on iOS and Steam!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited October 2013 in Games and Technology
solstice-arena1.jpg

Welcome to the Solstice Arena!

Here's what to expect when you jump into Solstice Arena (shamelessly stolen from the main website):

-Fighting With Friends: Solstice Arena is all about fast-paced, 3 vs. 3 fighting on a map that encourages players to make tactical decisions. The goal, similar to many MOBA's, is simple: the first team to destroy their enemy's base wins.

-Game Modes: We're launching with three game modes for new and experienced players: Single player (Solo vs. Bots), Real-time Multiplayer (Player vs. Player and Co-op vs. Bots). We use a special matchmaking and queue system that connects players based on skill, level and hero ability. Players can invite friends to play and see who's online in real time.

-Speed: We like to call Solstice Arena a "Speed MOBA" because each match lasts about 5-12 minutes, a deliberate design choice that we believe transforms this genre perfectly for the demands of mobile and the average player's busy lifestyle.

-No Farming: You'll also see that we playfully describe Solstice Arena as "all fighting and no farming." We've eliminated minions and farming - two staples of traditional MOBAs - in order to distill the core of Solstice Arena around team fighting and put the "Speed" in "Speed MOBA." We think this approach fits perfectly on mobile devices.

-Customize Your Heroes: We're offering 10+ heroes at launch, and you'll see a few of them featured in our launch trailer above. All heroes are designed for different styles of play. Those that want to dive deep into hero customization can pursue one of three different ability paths. For those that just want to jump into the next match, we'll recommend items for each hero. We've had a lot of fun designing each hero with various skins, abilities and most of all, personalities. Look no further than Biker Brutus, and get ready for more. We'll have new heroes, new skins and new abilities giving players always something new to master.

-Free to Play & Fair to Play: We want to preserve the core progression of MOBA competition, so players will never find themselves in a pay-to-win scenario. Players will need to earn those Hero upgrades, but for those that want to spend money can explore the extensive customization options, including skins and armor.

PA brotips for first time players:

-This game is free-to-play, but has in-game transactions. Heroes can either be bought with real world money or purchased using earned in-game currency (gems). Every couple of days, heroes become available for a limited time only to try out. Any XP earned stays with the character so they will be right where you left them if you purchase them.

-Every hero has 3 spell abilities and a basic attack. On Steam, these abilities are binded to the Q, W, and E keys. C is used to open the in-game store to buy items which reset after the match is over. The Space Bar brings up the communication options such as attack, retreat, heal, etc. All of these are touch screen controls on iOS devices.

-All 3 of the heroes abilities can be upgraded. Each ability has 3 different parameters of change (range, damage, cooldown, etc) and a total of 5 upgrade points can be spent. These upgrades are semi-permanent and have to be spread out as 3/2. For example: Your Wizard has a fireball spell. You can upgrade the range, area of effect, and damage. If you choose damage and range, you cannot choose area of effect. In this case, you could do 3 damage and 2 range or vise-verse. This allows you to customize your spells to your playstyle. Upgrades can be removed to respec, but this costs gems to do so! You've been warned!

-When you tap or mouse over the "?" next on the spell upgrade track, you can see what each of the three upgrade levels does. Sometimes the third level in a track does something the others don't, for example Brutus' Ground Slam, a PBAOE skill, the "Damage" track does extra damage at 1/3 and 2/3, but 3/3 adds a damage bonus for each enemy hit. It's worth reading all the hover text before deciding on an upgrade strategy. You don't have to have a hero unlocked to look at this stuff! Go into Play -> whatever mode and at the character select screen, you can tap on anybody to see their skills and perk, and then tap on the skills window to look at the upgrades they have available. Good for learning about what you opponents might have in store.

-Don't go Lone Wolf. You will die and make things shitty for your teammates.

-Heroes can find gold to buy items during the game. Each hero has 6 inventory slots with 3 different options in each. Items provide extra health, armor, damage, stat boosts, and provide special abilities. This means a lot of equipment customization. Mix and match various equipment builds to suit your style.

-Join up with other PA players to maximize your effectiveness. Voice chat is always a plus so get your Steam chat going!

PA Players

Want on the list? Either shoot me a message or mention me in the thread @ "_MNC Dover_" (<-- remove the _ marks and the space after the @) and provide me the info below (make it just like that for easy copy/paste please):

Forum Name/Solstice Name
MNC Dover/MNCDover
hlprmnky/Callow

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Two more tips for new players about ability upgrades:

When you tap or mouse over the "?" next to an upgrade track, you can see what each of the three upgrade levels does. Sometimes the third level in a track does something the others don't, for example Brutus' Ground Slam, a PBAOE skill, the "Damage" track does extra damage at 1/3 and 2/3, but 3/3 adds a damage bonus for each enemy hit. It's worth reading all the hover text before deciding on an upgrade strategy.

You don't have to have a hero unlocked to look at this stuff! Go into Play -> whatever mode and at the character select screen, you can tap on anybody to see their skills and perk, and then tap on the skills window to look at the upgrades they have available. Good for learning about what you opponents might have in store.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    So hlprmnky, any thoughts on character builds? I'm still pretty new to the game and don't think that the max stats items based on character stats is the best road. You've been playing a while so I'd like to hear what you think.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I've got a lot of ideas about them, and also some resources I can share.

The Zynga player forum has a ton of information and guides for each hero. I don't necessarily agree with everything posted there, but it is a very active community and is a great place to get a feel for the current thinking of the people, people who are not me, who are in Challenger tier every ladder reset. As with any new forum community, signal-to-noise ratio is highly variable and variably high, so be sure to put on your Mk XVI filter goggles before venturing in.

There's also a wiki, though since you can play on your phone and see all the game elements at pretty much any time, I'm not sure how much extra use that is. A different method of data organization, I guess.

So, to your point, MNC Dover, there are a couple of different areas I think I can profitably cover. The first is the idea of "max stats items based on character stats", which turns out to be a little bit complex in most cases. The other is specific items you'd want to consider even if they were completely outside your chosen hero's stat focus, and why/when you would want to consider them.

0 - Tips for Effective Shopping
    - You can tap on the score area at the top of the screen to get a view of what all six players have built and how much gold they have. Very useful for avoiding buying multiples of the same support item, or knowing when the opposing team has all gotten items that nullify your crowd control!
    - Boots are the cheapest items you can buy, and they have no strategic decisions to make. Tier 1 is, well, boots. Tier 2 is faster boots with a boost to one stat. If you find yourself at the well with not enough gold to buy something else, buy boots.
    - You can shop while you're dead - in fact, you can almost always get your shopping done in the time it takes to either respawn or heal.
    - The 'autobuy' option is only okay. It will queue up items for you according to a garden-variety pre-set build for your hero, and then any time you leave the well, if you have enough gold to buy the next item on the list, you will buy it. Great for making sure you don't forget to spend your gold, or for learning "a standard build for this hero", but it has none of the customization or social sharing facets of, say, Dota 2's builds feature.
    - Farming pickups is the other kind of shopping! The stat pickups on the map are totally worth your time. Small ones (which you collect by moving over) are worth 3 points, and big ones (which you click on to collect after a ~2s channel) are worth 10. They respawn very frequently. They're not worth losing a fight over, but if you remember to pick them up whenever you can, you can easily get an extra 100 of some stat over the course of a game, which is more than twice what a tier 3 item will give you. Also, if there's a pickup that nobody on your team can use, pick it up anyway so that it will respawn - the pickup type is random each spawn.

1 - Character builds
    With, so far, only three exceptions (Dawne, Kyra, and Marco - 100% Sun, Moon, and Void, respectively) each hero has two stats, for example Artharion is Sun (100%) / Earth (80%). These percentages aren't meant to add to a total, in fact I've never read a clear explanation of what they mean so I tend to think of them as relative weights. You will also usually find that a hero will then have two skills in their "main" stat and one in their "off" stat; Artharion has Penetrating Shot and Fire Arrow in the Sun school and Engage in the Earth school.

Generally, this means that there are at least two viable builds for each hero, with a different play style coming to the fore as either stat is boosted.

To continue with Artharion as our example, it is possible to build him with mostly Sun items, building up the damage in his two skillshots and turning him into more or less an AP caster with a limited shield/escape ability in Engage. With this build, Artharion plays a lot like Dawne, the "pure" Sun AP caster/carry - a glass cannon using Engage to either get into position to unload, or to retreat.

However, there is another perfectly viable build for Artharion that concentrates on stacking Earth instead of Sun items. In this build, he is more of an AD carry, relying on keeping Engage up as much as possible for its bonus to his basic attack damage - this bonus scales with Earth, each point of which also by itself increases base attack damage of any hero. This build is much more concentrated on getting close-ish, kiting, keeping Engage up as much as possible; the skillshots become useful mainly as finishers or to discourage pursuit when it's time to run back to the well.

Most heroes have at least two viable playstyles in this way; to choose one more example, you can build Lizeth as either a very solid tank, or a reasonably scary (and not-at-all squishy) melee DPS. One of the developers is even on record as saying that there's a perfectly viable DPS Kyra build that relies on stacking Void (increases basic attack speed) and the long range of her basic attack, rather than stacking Moon for better heals, though I've never seen this done in practice.

So, when might you want to buy an item that either supports none of your base stat(s), or supports them only a little?

2 - Support Items and Belts

Some of the Tier 3 items in the shop provide team-wide benefits, for example Gold Miner's Helmet gives you 25 Earth, 25 Iron, and a perk in signature ability cooldown when you take damage, but it also provides 20% increased gold income to your entire team. That can be a huge advantage if you get it fairly early when everybody's item slots are still filling in.
    Towering Guardian in the Off-hand -> Shields tree increases your whole team's armor rating. Again, especially if your opponents don't have a lot of abilities which ignore armor, buying that item can be the difference between victory and defeat.
    The topic of who "should" buy which support items and in what situations is probably the one with the most depth as far as Solstice Arena shopping strategy goes, and sadly it's the one I have the least experience with, since I mainly play Dawne, who is a pure-Sun caster that gets a big benefit from non-support items in pretty much every tree. The Zynga forums have a lot more, and better-informed, discussion on support items.

Belts! Belts are huge - each of the three belts makes your hero immune to one or more types of crowd control. If you are facing a team that has two or more heroes with one CC type, it's often a good idea to get the belt which makes you immune, even if the stats are trash for you. For example, Kyra/Roland/Ava is a team comp where all three heroes have some kind of taunt/charm that will hold you in place, and at least two of them have some kind of AoE attack.
    If you don't build Hangman's Noose to get immunity from charms/taunts, you're going to spend a lot of the game standing in fire/void AoE fields, and most of the rest of it waiting to respawn. This is where being able to check what everyone is building comes in really handy - if you're playing as Ava, you will want to know when your opponents become immune to your Siren's Song ability, because you're very, very squishy and will almost certainly die if you try to trap someone in a Void Cloud and they keep coming at you.

That's pretty much all I know about items and builds. See you in the Arena!

e: There's always a typo. Probably even still.

hlprmnky on
    _
  • Options
    ...and you didn't think your OP would be good enough. ;)

I was thinking about a build from an RTS standpoint. Like, pushing a team with gold stacking abilities to get more powerful gear. This means weakness in the early game, faster gear for a strong midgame, and a weak endgame from useless gold stalking gear. In your opinion, is that build worth it?

I've read on other forums that sacrificing a tower to capture the first chest with gold stacking can keep your team ahead on equipment through most of the game. I never could find out if teamwide abilities stacked with each other. Like would everyone wearing the Goldminer's Hat (+20% team gold bonus) become +60%? Combine that with another +20% team gold item and things could get out of control quickly.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    My understanding is that team-wide buffs don't stack, so for example if a Jericho on your team buys Staff of the Eclipse, there's no additional benefit to the team if you buy a Gold Miner's Helmet.

It's also important to remember that, given enough time, both teams will be full up on items and then additional gold does nothing for you. Getting one gold bonus item will let you pull ahead and have an advantage during the window when not all 36 item slots are full.

The idea of sacrificing a tower to capture the chest doesn't make a ton of sense to me, unless you mean purposefully capturing the chest and in the process losing the first teamfight, which would mean that without anything else to do for a few seconds, the other team will certainly take your outermost tower. I don't know if that's viable or not; what I prefer to do is win the first teamfight, either with an ace or by sending everyone on the other team back to their well. :) Ideally, then, two of your team knock down their outermost tower (or come close) while one moves the chest most of the way around. The perfect end to the first teamfight is that their tower falls just before they all, having had to wait 5 seconds to respawn, get back to the fight. Then you all run away, nabbing the chest on the way back, and shop/return. Sometimes you lose your tower too, sometimes you get stuck back into the fray while it has some health left. Either way, it's a very strong start that tends to demoralize your foes. Moo hoo hoo haa haa, etc.

hlprmnky on
    _
  • Options
    OK, teamwide buffs not stacking is good to know. That would be majorly OP. What if just one person on the team ran with all 4 pieces of equipment that provided +20% gold? That would be an 80% buff on gold which is nothing to sneeze at. Again, I'm thinking of a strong triple kill midgame finish that weakens slightly as equipment evens out.

As for the chest thing, I read about that tactic on a forum. Dude said that if you can get the chest and return home to shop, you'll be able to afford a tier 3 item. By the time you get back to the center the chest will have respawned and your team will be up on gear. This makes getting the chest easier, especially if the enemy focuses down your front tower and hasn't gone back to shop.

Oh, and it looks like I totally made a thread for just us to talk about this amazing game. :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    That is how it would appear. :/

_
  • Options
    Ah screw it, hopefully people will notice and join us in this amazing game. :D

Since Jericho went off free-to-play, I switched to Bombast. My gf plays aggressive, killing characters (Arthanian/Marco) so I'm providing cover most of the time. With Bombast being tanky, I usually chuck Iron Balls from a distance and stay in front of her while she unleashes arrows. Once the enemy draws near, it's shield and attack. I'll use the Stun hit on tanks to get to casters or retreat.

As for gear, to offset his dismal speed I get the Team Speed Ring after the Life Saving Armor. If we get that first chest, the armor is a lock. After that I focus on the Speed Ring so I can move quicker and she can kite for days.

So far we've been pretty successful with this combo. Hell, we even won a 2v3 game when our partner was AFK until the very end. The 3 of us should try and play sometime. What characters do you main?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

"Zynga made a MOBA" is a really hard sell.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

"Zynga made a MOBA" is a really hard sell.

This is so unbelievably true, but it is actually a fun and well-made game. The development team is comprised of former AAA people from MMO and MOBA games. You can tell that they really went all-out to make the game enjoyable. There is definitely some spending hooks that can be questionable (stupidly expensive skins) but nothing that is unfair.

In fact, I enjoy that the free character pool rotates every couple of days. It forces me to try out new characters and adapt to their strengths and weaknesses. If one really sticks with me, I can unlock them with in-game Valor instead of spending real-world money.

All that being said, I did go out of my way not to mention Zynga anywhere in the OP. ;)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Havn't played versus humans yet, but played enough quick matches to get the Hammock unlock. It's definitely interesting, and seems to be really focusing on the BA part of the MOBA acronym, which isn't a bad thing.

Might try a game with humans when I get home.

Oh, it gets bonus points from me because it lets you play right away without having to make a account. You just have to make one if you want to save your progress.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Playing with humans is, as expected, a mixed bag. Some people just run into 3v1 situations and die, others sit in spawn, and so forth. From my playtime, that only seems to happen about 10% of the time. Of course, I spam commands like "group up" and "retreat" to keep my allies focused. If you play with partners then things get awesome. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    New heroes coming up. Got Bombast up to level 10. Really like him as a solid tanking character. When I play with half-decent ranged characters, my team usually wins.

Who will I play with next? :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    So, uh, this is actually pretty fun. The short games totally reduces the amount of time I spend raging at my team! And without chat support, there's no one to call me a noob and no way for me to insult my opponent's mother! Fantastic!

Have only really played with Dawne and Bombast. I'm really enjoying how Bombast plays. Going to send everyone a friend invite. Which will take 5 seconds. Sweet!

My username is Edgie.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Two things I've noticed from playing this game for a bit:
    1) The claim of "no farming" is bullshit. Picking up the stat boosts is farming. Good on them for reimagining it a bit, but there's still farming.
    2) The game is pretty ridiculously imbalanced. Jericho / Dawne / Bombast (with Bombast being possibly interchangeable) seems to be more or less unbeatable. Jericho is particularly overpowered, but the team as a whole just has so much CC, ridiculous tank, and substantial damage. I'm wondering if they'll ever do some balance passes.

Oh, and the meta-game is also problematic, I feel. Dawne, again, is my go-to example. When you first play her she is nearly worthless. However, when you level up the range on her slow/silence (if you are up against another Dawne with a longer range on this, you just plain cannot win), and the speed on her laser, she becomes pretty damn amazing.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Rather enjoy Calamity. Got into a little kiting war against some archer guy around the chest. He move in to attack, I back up, and as he backs away I move in faster and get a couple shots on him, whittling him down. Eventually he gets low and I go in with the Wheel to put him down.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Garthor wrote: »
    Two things I've noticed from playing this game for a bit:
    1) The claim of "no farming" is bullshit. Picking up the stat boosts is farming. Good on them for reimagining it a bit, but there's still farming.
    2) The game is pretty ridiculously imbalanced. Jericho / Dawne / Bombast (with Bombast being possibly interchangeable) seems to be more or less unbeatable. Jericho is particularly overpowered, but the team as a whole just has so much CC, ridiculous tank, and substantial damage. I'm wondering if they'll ever do some balance passes.

Oh, and the meta-game is also problematic, I feel. Dawne, again, is my go-to example. When you first play her she is nearly worthless. However, when you level up the range on her slow/silence (if you are up against another Dawne with a longer range on this, you just plain cannot win), and the speed on her laser, she becomes pretty damn amazing.

OK yeah, there is some farming but that is to be expected to a degree in a MOBA game. At least the big orb pick ups are only 2 seconds to get. :)

As for balance, I can't really comment on that yet as I just started playing. Bombast is an awesome tank and does great on most teams. Dawne is pretty fragile regardless of her level. That long distance silence/kite can make getting to her almost impossible. I've countered her best with Jericho's wave attack or speedy leaping characters like Marco. To me, item acquisition is what makes one team better than another.

But like most games, it comes down to your teamwork. I bet 3 of us PA bros working together could handle most teams.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Was anyone here Luthian? I got a friend request but noticed they hadn't installed the game. Please resend the invite if so. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Why the hell do Balthazaar players always manage to swap places so badly? Like, they have to use all three abilities or something. Most times, they swap putting a killer or tank right next to me. Hey free kill on Dover! :(

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    This game is super fun. I almost made it to Champion in ranked this weekend.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Shoot me a friend request sometime. I'm MNC_Dover

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    New playable characters added recently. An undead caster and a human tank.

Nazzah is a Caster who specializes in resurrecting allies and gaining extra Dark power by killing enemies. His other two abilities are a radius snare move and a tornado attack which leaves a trail for allies to move faster in. Both these abilities are great for offense and defense. If he gets some early kills, his Dark level really builds up quick making him tough to deal with.

Leonis is a Tank/Fighter that creates a large wall to block off enemies from advancing or retreating. He also has a short range AoE attack and a draw-in stun ability. Haven't run into him in game yet, but the idea of walling off sections of the map could be extremely powerful.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    New character Kronos released this week. Big robo golem that can create a shadow version of himself. At any point, he can jump back to his previous state with whatever health he had at the time. Super hard to stop right now as damage isn't a thing. Secondary abilities include a charge attack that stuns if the enemy hits a wall as well as a armor up that makes him take reduced damage from towers.

He's already talked about in nerf conversations. Other characters have gotten minor tweaks, but the top tier is still locking things down.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Does his "extra damage if knocked back into a wall" synergize with the other new guy's "maek wall" ability?

_
  • Options
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    Does his "extra damage if knocked back into a wall" synergize with the other new guy's "maek wall" ability?

I don't know, that's a good question. I would think it does because he gets the stun when hitting anything solid in the environment such as walls and towers. That would make a crazy one-two punch, although it would be tough to set up. Not to mention, double Tanks on one team means getting kited to death. :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I'm really bummed out that this game doesn't seem to be getting the balance support it needs. At least, people seem to think that the newer heroes are either more powerful than the first dozen or so, or even buggy(!), and that instead of a balance pass the team is just putting out new heroes every two weeks.

I know, lol Zynga or whatever, but I had really high hopes for this game. I'm in a place right now where I just do not have the time to play enough hour-long matches of anything to really enjoy it, so having the "MOBA experience" distilled down to a ten-minute series of teamfights is what allows me to actually play one.

_
  • Options
    Yeah, I 100% agree. My fiancee and I play the game together so we can at the very least rely on decent teamwork. Unfortunately, some of the characters could use some minor tweaks/nerfs/buffs to balance out the playing field a bit.

Oh and Kronos needs to be fixed. That rewind himself to full hp is crazy OP in the right hands. We've only been able to kill him off by silencing/stunning him at 1/3 hp and praying that we can finish him off before he pops back. Super frustrating.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Anyone here still playing this lately? The game got Moebious and Helios at the end of the year.

Moebious is an alien that drops an aoe crystal on a location. It stays then explodes. He can also cast an aoe fog spell around himself to damage close enemies and slide an one direction quickly.

Helios is a caster who's primary attack changes depending on his dark and sun levels. It's either a sun orb that tracks or a black hole that pulls all enemies into one location. That black hole is particularly nasty when combined with multi-hitting teammate attacks.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I still log in and play a round every day or two. I bought Leonis (mister Maek Wall) with the last of my leftover gems from before. He's not bad, but I feel like he needs pretty solid team synergy to get work done, which can be ...lacking in pub matches.

_
  • Options
    I still log in and play a round every day or two. I bought Leonis (mister Maek Wall) with the last of my leftover gems from before. He's not bad, but I feel like he needs pretty solid team synergy to get work done, which can be ...lacking in pub matches.

I haven't tried Leonis yet because he isn't free yet. Maybe I'll buy him or unlock him down the road. I have fought against him and with him though and you're totally right about the wall ability. That can hurt you as well as hurt you if you get stuck behind it on retreats. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I've noticed a good Kyra can make or break any team. Would be cool if the next hero is another pure healer like her. Of course the trick is making him or her different enough to be playable.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I've been playing this a bit again, and finally got Ava to level 15. She can be really fun and can snowball once she gets enough void stacked up. The only thing I don't enjoy about her is insta-death to Helios, but that's apparently something of a common complaint across heroes.

_
  • Options
    I've been playing this a bit again, and finally got Ava to level 15. She can be really fun and can snowball once she gets enough void stacked up. The only thing I don't enjoy about her is insta-death to Helios, but that's apparently something of a common complaint across heroes.

I played Ava first when I got the game, but didn't find her all that great. It could have been because I never got her maxed out or made the wrong build. She seems like she can control space well enough but not do any real damage. Some kind of a pseudo-support character that excels at nothing.

What was/am I doing wrong with her?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    She does okay as a support/control caster but she also puts out just a ton of damage with her autoattack, because her "perk" is that Void, which innately increases attack speed, also increases Ava's attack damage. Of course, she is also slow and squishy so you have to either:
    - have a team that tanks for you/locks down targets so you live long enough to deliver that damage
    - balance your build out with some Iron items for survive-fulness and try to make up Void by farming on the map.

Lately I've been building her with the gold-bonus helmet, armor of the immortal, thistle, sword, then either the attack speed ring or a belt and finally boots.

_
  • Options
    That's right, I forgot her passive ability makes every fifth hit do more damage. I never liked that her signature ability didn't have much range and actually drew the enemy to you though. I always seemed to die after the effect wore off. Probably just doing it wrong there.

-Gold Helmet instead of Executioner's Hood, hmmm? I guess the healing increase won't matter to a squishy like her and the gold bonus helps the team while it never hurts to have a faster signature move.
    -Armor of the Immortal is always good, but I've seen some good Void characters winning slugfests with the Netherbeast Armor. Paired with Thistle, it makes her almost unkillable without a high damage attack move.
    -Thistle is obvious and the best choice. Maybe Death's Shiv if you really needed Void, but it still is a distant second.
    -Sword of your choice, eh? Starshard seems to have the best synergy with her abilities.
    -I have a hard time not selecting one of the status blocking items. The Tyger's Eye was my go to item, but they nerfed the speed benefit. :( Depending on who I'm fighting against, I get the best overlapping status blocker, usually anti-stun or anti-slow.
    -Void Walkers. Easy choice there. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page