As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking a new city to call home UPDATE: New job accepted! Move in progress.

13»

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Sherlok wrote: »
    Thoroughly enjoyed this thread. I'm in a similar situation, but I'm a bit younger with no family (different requirements as well). You'd think there'd be a site somewhere that would let you check boxes or rate things important to you, but that doesn't seem to exist. Just reading endless 'Top 10 Cities for X' lists and doodling on maps.

Regardless, best of Luck OP.

Do you like Large Cities or Small Cities?
    What hobbies do you currently enjoy and/or want to enjoy?
    Can you handle the cold?
    How important is an educated populace to you?
    Do you need the sun?
    Do you want to have a car or not?
    Do you have a specific work field that you need to be available?

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Capsaicin wrote: »
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Hope you're not working at Vanderbilt. I recommend living to the west side of the city, down 40 toward Charlotte Pike. Avoid South Nashville areas like Antioch, Harding Place, Near 100 Oaks, Don't live east near the airport or in the slums out north.

Nashville is full of people who really want to show off their money, lots of old cash floating around in certain areas and the live music scene is great if you like Las Vegas country. Racism is alive and well in every community, lots of college students. The city went and became a metropolitan district years ago because they were afraid of having a black mayor, so the entire county of Davidson is considered Nashville for the sake of the census. Wages are insanely low and the state is bullshit awful when it comes to employee rights, most employers know this and will fuck over whomever they can whenever they can.

There are some pretty cool people there though.

Edit: Most shows I wanted to see never came to Nashville, everyone went to Atlanta to do stuff.

Good things to check out. Go to Antioch, there is a Thai place called P.S. Noodle Pot which is great. It's just off exit 59 on i24. The Slider House is okay times, The Flying Saucer off 10th downtown isn't bad, but is amazingly overpriced. Deli called Noshville over off 21st, Cafe Coco in the same area. If you like arcades and such Game Galaxy is cool to check out. There's also an arcade in Antioch at the "Global Mall", but Antioch is a fucking ghetto and the mall is dead. I lived next to it for 4 years and watched it slowly die. The sign out front has had all the store names taken off of it, all that was left was a rim store and a "ood urt" because they were too cheap to replace the missing letters. Huge parking lot, great for drug deals and feeling at risk of being raped (several rapes, shootings and abductions in the lot in the last few months before I moved).

Edit: I hope you like church, churches and talking about religion as a focal point of every Monday when you go to work. Because holy fuck.

You paint a beautiful picture...

First off, Congrats on Nashville! Where are you going to be working?

Second, don't let an angry man scare you.

I moved up here from Alabama because my wife to be wanted to be closer to her folks (we met in college) and I haven't regretted it one bit (insert joke about "well, you DID move from Alabama" here)

Seriously though, I gave up ~2 hour access to the beach for Nashville and it's been fantastic. There is a lot of old money/country music money here but it's not really all that in your face unless you're about to start a new career working in retail for minimum wage. There's definitely a lot to do. Antioch used to be a lower income area but it's turning into the little hipster mecca these days due to low house prices and better police activity so while I would have said five years ago that living there was a death wish now it's actually pretty awesome.

I live in Hermitage which is close to the airport but not "planes attacking your house" close and it's pretty great. We got a 1500+ sq foot with all the bells and whistles for under 150K and it's a nice quiet neighborhood.

If you're more the outdoors type there's a TON of great camping, lakes, etc. It's beautiful scenery.

Downtown is hell, but that's because I'm a social introvert when it comes to dealing with crowds. It's actually awesome. Plus we have a pro football and hockey team if that's your cup of tea.

Culturally, there's HUGE hispanic and middle east communities here if that's your thing. You're as likely to find a cricket game in the Metro Center farmers market on the weekends as you are to find a larp group on the alternating weekends. There's a growing amount of nerd fun to be had here and three good sized comic cons. (good sized being 3000+ attendance)

As I said, I grew up in Alabama and while yes, it is the south, sadly, the racism isn't just pouring out of everyone like a fire hydrant as others would lead you to believe.

Feel free to ask any questions about locations. I've lived/worked from Cool Springs (30 miles from Downtown) to Downtown itself so I'm pretty familiar with the area.

again, CONGRATS!

are YOU on the beer list?