As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Secret World - Legends out 6/26/17

• RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    I guess for us it's either 1) Switch to the new game 2) Play the old one until they dump the old server then find a new mmo.

I like Secret World because its less twitchy but still looks like a shooter and that it has tons of workable builds you're not shoehorned into one build.

This will be my measuring stick for the new game.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    That's a whole lot of cutscenes there, and what actual in game combat is shown doesn't look any different than what there is now.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I really don't like how this has gone down, but I do have such a love of the setting and story that I'll totally play this through at least once, happily.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    That video irks me.

EDIT: Just adding that I'm glad people will be playing. But they've made some technical decisions that prevent me from partaking.

ringswraith on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I'm really not looking forward to redoing the grind

steam_sig.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Love the story in this game and always meant to do another full playthrough. I guess this will be as good a time as any. I don't like having my progress cut off over on the MMO - not gonna both finishing my ability wheel if there ain't gonna be no more content there. But I hope they continue through with the story in Legends.

H9f4bVe.png
    So I figured I should say something.

With the release of Legends looming, there will (hopefully) be a surge of players trying it out.

Sadly, I will not be one of those players. Not because I hate the game, or that I dislike what they're doing, necessarily. Simply because the new control scheme wreaks havoc on my VVS (virtual vomit syndrome) and I find it impossible to play. I can't even watch them streaming the game, it's that bad (for me).

With the base TSW game no longer getting updated with Legends coming out, this marks the end of my tenure with this thread. If anyone else wants to take this on (and update stuff for Legends) you're more than welcome to do so.

And with Funcom saying goodbye threads are against their forum rules, this is effectively going to be my "So long and thanks for all the fish(men)" post. :) Take care everyone.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular

With the release of Legends looming, there will (hopefully) be a surge of players trying it out.

Sadly, I will not be one of those players. Not because I hate the game, or that I dislike what they're doing, necessarily. Simply because the new control scheme wreaks havoc on my VVS (virtual vomit syndrome) and I find it impossible to play. I can't even watch them streaming the game, it's that bad (for me).

With the base TSW game no longer getting updated with Legends coming out, this marks the end of my tenure with this thread. If anyone else wants to take this on (and update stuff for Legends) you're more than welcome to do so.

And with Funcom saying goodbye threads are against their forum rules, this is effectively going to be my "So long and thanks for all the fish(men)" post. :) Take care everyone.

Where'd that brofist go?

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'll put together a Secret World Legends thread closer to the actual launch, but seeing as it's more than a month away, I think it's a bit premature to do right now.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »

Where'd that brofist go?

What he said. Sympathies, man.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Have they said what is going to transfer over yet? I was going to use up the 2040 funcom bucks or whatever they are called that I have but I want to grab things that are going to move.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Stragint wrote: »
    Have they said what is going to transfer over yet? I was going to use up the 2040 funcom bucks or whatever they are called that I have but I want to grab things that are going to move.

They haven't stated that absolutely everything is porting over, because they aren't done going through everything, but every time they mention how many items are transferring, it goes up. I think it was at like 4,800 items that will transfer last time they said.

Stated goals: all items from the cash shop bags, any cosmetic items purchased from cash shop, any sprints or pets purchased, any achievement cosmetics earned that are not earnable in SWL, whether because the achievement was removed/changed or they made a new, different reward for it.

So I've played a little bit more. They did change some things, and the new over-the-shoulder view is more manageable for me than the default. Still, having to spin to target stuff is bad (for me), and while I actually got to Norma Creed this time, seeing and getting the two lores in her house wrecked me because they're in this weird indoor/outdoor border that makes the camera dance like it's having a seizure. Promptly had to stop playing at that point.

What really irks me is that we can't just try out everything and have items to give us AP/SP so we can try out more than a few skills from the start. I've been trying to figure out if a PBAOE build can be done, because I think that's the only way I can manage to play SWL (and even then, probably in spurts because of the camera). Blade looks promising, as you start out with a PBAOE consumer, but the class pairs it with elementalism which only had single-target skills while I was trying it out. I hear chaos might be a good pairing for what I'm looking for (if so, the irony- Dragon Martial Artist was my first actual leveling deck), maybe.

edited June 2017
    As they said on one of the devstreams, each weapon has 3 active ability lines, and in general the top line is for more solo-target abilities, the middle line has the "special" abilities, and the lower line focuses more on the AoE/group abilities. Chaos has a PBAoE and Elementalism has a TAoE but they are both up a bit on the lower ability line.

Also, here's a thought: When I make a Secret World Legends thread, should I put it here in the MMO subforum, or should I put it in main G&T? After all, Funcom themselves are marketing it as a "shared-world action RPG" rather than an MMO.

DarkPrimus on
    My thought? Keep it here in the MMO subforum, I think folks will still treat the game like an MMO. That's me, though. :)

Posting about it in G&T proper would get more eyes on it though, which is... kind of the point of the relaunch, after all?

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Posting about it in G&T proper would get more eyes on it though, which is... kind of the point of the relaunch, after all?

Maybe, maybe not. I mean, look at it now- it's still mostly just us TSW players who are talking about SWL. Having a new thread for SWL in either forum would IMO generate the same amount of buzz, because it's a new thread. Plus, people can always search the forums and see if there is a thread about the game, regardless of which forum/subforum it's in.

Anyone else have any thoughts they'd like to share? :)

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it won't get the attention of anyone who isn't already invested... but no harm in trying.

wVEsyIc.png
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    As an "interested" (potential) player, I think it would go into G&T because I don't think it's really an MMO. I mean most of the game is intended to be played solo. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I think the strength of the game is in the writing and quests, both of which are primarily designed to be tackled by a single-player. I mean, are there group-only instances? Are there raid-like events? Can one "finish the game" (whatever that means in this context) without directly interacting with other players and not have a completely detrimental experience?

I'm watching this tread, because I like to know a bit more about games and the game systems. I'm not contributing because I'm not in the beta and never played the original Secret World game, so I really have nothing to contribute (for now).

Putting it in G&T would certainly raise visibility, and I don't think it would really be out of place there. I mean, hell, Destiny has a G&T thread and that game practically IS an MMO....

26904.png
    There are going to be group-only content available but it's all being tailored towards the more hardcore end-game players: Raids, Lairs and the upgraded difficulty Dungeons will likely not be done by most players, and certainly not by those more interested in the "single-player but not really" story missions that make up the vast majority of the content. Thanks for your input, Stupid.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Is a certain gold bastard still around?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Is a certain gold bastard still around?

As far as I know, yes.

(Hmmm.)

edited June 2017
    They also mentioned that everyone who has a active TSW account in good standing and have logged in within the last 30 days will be getting a Legends beta invite tomorrow.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    I'm kind of weirdly excited to play through the storyline again.

I'm assuming yes, but have they explicitly stated Beta is going to be wiped on launch?

Seems kind of weird to reserve names. They might as well just let everyone be named whatever they damn well please.

I'm kind of weirdly excited to play through the storyline again.

I'm assuming yes, but have they explicitly stated Beta is going to be wiped on launch?

Seems kind of weird to reserve names. They might as well just let everyone be named whatever they damn well please.

The reservation is to let folks "keep" their current character from TSW. In a sense.

edited June 2017

Unless you are legitimately interested in participating in the beta for the sake of providing feedback, I would suggest just holding off until the TSW Headstart date of June 23rd. Especially since as a TSW vet you will have some perks available to you - not many specifics on this yet, but one known thing is that all weapons will be unlocked from the get-go.

DarkPrimus on
    Good to know, thanks guys.

I haven't played through the main storyline for a year at least, so if nothing else, this will be a nice viking funeral for my lifetime membership. If they actually manage to release the "rest" of the story in time, all the better!

• MagicalGoatsMagicalGoats Registered User regular
    I picked a heck of a time to give up sniffing glue try to start playing this game. So, since Legends is coming, apparently will be more solo-player oriented, and all, does anyone know if the story of Legends will be the same story as the original game? If not, where would be a good place to look into all of the different storylines of the original game?

There is no aspect, no facet, no moment of life, that cannot be improved with pizza.
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I picked a heck of a time to give up sniffing glue try to start playing this game. So, since Legends is coming, apparently will be more solo-player oriented, and all, does anyone know if the story of Legends will be the same story as the original game? If not, where would be a good place to look into all of the different storylines of the original game?

It will have the same missions and story, yes.

However, I don't know if all the missions are in legends. They've also butchered some of the original cutscenes, for some reason.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Did they say if I can use the secret world points in legends?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    darkmayo wrote: »

Any funcom points you have in your account can be converted to Aurum (SWL's paid currency) when you link your account.

Bonus Points you earned from subscriptions will not transfer. You only get to transfer your TSW items to SWL once so make sure you've got all your bonus points spent first.

edited June 2017

Any funcom points you have in your account can be converted to Aurum (SWL's paid currency) when you link your account.

Bonus Points you earned from subscriptions will not transfer. You only get to transfer your TSW items to SWL once so make sure you've got all your bonus points spent first.

Where the dick is the paid shop nowadays anyway? I can't seem to actually go to it. Every link redirects to the TSW Legends website now.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    PMAvers wrote: »

Where the dick is the paid shop nowadays anyway? I can't seem to actually go to it. Every link redirects to the TSW Legends website now.

You can access it in-game. Or you can use https://tswshop.funcom.com/

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    What are they doing with the old veteran's points or whatever they were called, the other cash shop currency
    I've still got a couple months worth of that

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

good to know, that means I have some buying to do.

Wait.. I suppose we dont know what transfers over yet for Vanity Etc. Maybe i'll wait until they release that first before I do any buying.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    What are they doing with the old veteran's points or whatever they were called, the other cash shop currency
    I've still got a couple months worth of that

You haven't been able to earn veteran points for like, two years. Spend what you have.

I suppose we dont know what transfers over yet for Vanity Etc. Maybe i'll wait until they release that first before I do any buying.

There are over 4500 items that will transfer, out of the 6000 or so they say are in the game. My guess is that the 1500 items that aren't transferring are stuff that you bought from vendors with PAX.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Does this work with win 10 now? Last i tried it was a complete shit show.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."