As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tony, Thor, Steve. Armors, Hammers, and Shield and etcSUPERHEROES

• RobbieOCRobbieOC Snork Juice Pawnee, INRegistered User regular
    I mean, Thor 2 seems about as dark as the Lord of the Rings movies did. Were they dark? Cause it seems like that movie is setting up to be a kind of high fantasy style story.

And, Cap 2 maybe seems dark because it's a spy thriller movie. But, I don't think it's as dark as some movies. I mean, it's probably darker than the first Cap movie, but Jesus, what isn't? That movie is basically a moving propaganda poster.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I mean, I guess we'd have to see the movies

but I'm really doubting the movies will go very "empire strikes back"

it would make sense as an impetus for re-teaming in Avengers 2, but I'd be really surprised to see any of these movies end with its hero being defeated and the world worse off

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Cap 2 doesn't look terribly dark to me.

I mean, there's definitely some serious stuff and moral ambiguity with SHIELD and all of that, but the trailer opened with what basically amounted to watercooler gossip between Black Widow and Cap. That and the "Before we do this, anyone wanna get out?" line make me think there'll at least be some humor.

Etchwarts on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Reports say that Thor 2 has a lot of humor in it
    And I think Cap can deal with dark stuff but as long as he doesn't succumb to it himself I wouldn't call the movie dark

I've watched the trailer like 5 times and I think my favorite bit is when Cap says "I thought the punishment was supposed to come after the crime"

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah, it is the Russo Bros. so there will be a pretty solid sense of humor going on I am sure.

CYpGAPn.png
    Cap needs to remain the moral compass for this universe and I see no reason to fear they'll change that

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    all these MCU movies have jokes and levity sprinkled pretty liberally throughout

regardless of how they differentiate them with tone and plot trappings, they're all gonna be action comedies

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    jesus christ i hate being a fucking broken husk

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

Sensitive =\= Broken

just because stuff bothers you that doesn't phase other people doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you

Just remember this stuff is all in good fun. I really doubt the creators of that trailer meant to upset anybody

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    However dark you want to label the films, they seem to be entirely on point with the tone that I've always gotten from the Marvel universe.

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    alewing.tumblr.com/post/64893876355/hello-mr-ewing-we-will-see-lokis-dad-odin-your-comic
    lady-loki-odinson asked:
    Hello Mr Ewing we will see lokis dad Odin your comic? Do you think COMIC Loki is Bisexual? Loki is the Norse IS Bisexual. [Loki is a bisexual, shape-shifting norse God].
    I think Odin will be talked about but not seen.

Yes, Loki is bi and I’ll be touching on that. He’ll shift between genders occasionally as well.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Heh.

14582.jpg

• RobbieOCRobbieOC Snork Juice Pawnee, INRegistered User regular
    I love Chris Evans as Cap, but I truly wish we could time travel and get a young Robert Redford to play him.

• OdinOdin Registered User regular
    Reminder that Cap 2 also features Batroc

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Ewing is a brit too, right? I hope the mutual admiration between Hiddleston and Gillen leads to them getting together with Ewing at a pub somewhere and talking Loki-craft.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Odin wrote: »
    Reminder that Cap 2 also features Batroc

And Arnim Zola!

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

While my friends walked out of MoS talking about how awesome it was I slide back in my chair a blubbering mess and I didn't feel ok for hours after. Even the people who hated it didn't react as I did.

You're cool anti.

Quire.jpg
    When do you think Fox News will start talking about how Captain America is soft on terror

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    When do you think Fox News will start talking about how Captain America is soft on terror

I'm surprised they haven't already.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So I think I see where they're going with SHIELD in the MCU; spoilers for Agents of SHIELD and Cap
    SHIELD started off as a covert, international organization dedicated to keep track of the "weird" stuff. However, after Thor happened and a whole universe of trouble became known to them, they began militarizing, building a helicarrier and investigating tesseract weapons. With this greater reach came greater oversight.

Fast forward to after the battle of New York, SHIELD is now being made into an army, with a fleet of helicarriers. This also comes with even more oversight, (Culimating in Redford's character). Fury decides he needs someone he can trust; an ace in the hole. So he has Coulson asssemble a smaller, more low-key team that will mostly stay off the radar. If shit goes bad, they're can operate independantly, and either help with the situation, or keep doing what SHIELD is supposed to be doing.

This might also explain why SHIELD did nothing to help in Iron Man 3. Fury's hands were tied by this new oversight, who decides to respect the USA's wishes to handle that situation themselves.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

On one hand, the guy they have taken over has a decent enough track record.

On the other hand, I wonder what happened to have the original guy off the script.

I was really looking forward to seeing what Arndt could do, considering it was his treatment that they liked so much

It seems like they want to be as safe as possible with Episode VII... J.J. Abrams is a pretty safe pick for director. Getting John Williams for the score instead of Michael Giacchino. And now, hiring the writer of ESB/RotJ.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    So I think I see where they're going with SHIELD in the MCU; spoilers for Agents of SHIELD and Cap
    SHIELD started off as a covert, international organization dedicated to keep track of the "weird" stuff. However, after Thor happened and a whole universe of trouble became known to them, they began militarizing, building a helicarrier and investigating tesseract weapons. With this greater reach came greater oversight.

Fast forward to after the battle of New York, SHIELD is now being made into an army, with a fleet of helicarriers. This also comes with even more oversight, (Culimating in Redford's character). Fury decides he needs someone he can trust; an ace in the hole. So he has Coulson asssemble a smaller, more low-key team that will mostly stay off the radar. If shit goes bad, they're can operate independantly, and either help with the situation, or keep doing what SHIELD is supposed to be doing.

This might also explain why SHIELD did nothing to help in Iron Man 3. Fury's hands were tied by this new oversight, who decides to respect the USA's wishes to handle that situation themselves.

I like this. It explains SHIELD's absence during IM3 without having IM3 and Cap 2 happen at the same time, and with our current info, Coulson's team doesn't have a clear purpose. So this works.

It seems like they want to be as safe as possible with Episode VII... J.J. Abrams is a pretty safe pick for director. Getting John Williams for the score instead of Michael Giacchino. And now, hiring the writer of ESB/RotJ.

I mean

They have to win people back

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    I just feel like the result will be a movie that I'll enjoy watching in the theater and then forget about two weeks later (hi, Star Trek Into Darkness).

I just feel like the result will be a movie that I'll enjoy watching in the theater and then forget about two weeks later (hi, Star Trek Into Darkness).

And that's enough to get people to go see VIII

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Honestly...I'm kind of hoping they don't try to retell the Anakin saga.

I think the book has been closed on that and I would love some moving forward.

Paul Rudd and Rashida Jones are both reportedly in final talks to be in Ant-Man.

Jones would be Janet Van Dyne and Rudd, presumably, Scott Lang

CYpGAPn.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    CBR.com wrote:
    Responding to accusations of homophobia, and increasing media attention, Universal Studios Hollywood has canceled its Bill and Ted Halloween Horror Nights show, which featured a Man of Steel transformed into a mincing gay stereotype.

Part of the theme park’s annual Halloween event, Bill and Ted’s Excellent Halloween Adventure was a play in which the title characters are transported to the Land of Oz filled with references to sex and popular culture. According to Vice.com, Bill and Ted are joined in their quest to kill four evil witches by Superman, who’s turned gay after being accidentally sprinkled with fairy dust.

“After becoming gay, Superman’s voice and posture changes,” writes Vice’s Jamie Lee Curtis Taete. “His lips purse, his toes point inward, and his wrists become limp. His new voice sounds like a homophobic uncle doing a drunken impression of Richard Simmons, complete with lisps and frequent use of the word ‘faaaaaaabulous!’”

The depiction apparently goes downhill from there, with the Man of Steel groping his companions and blowing them kisses, and “mistaking” the intentions of General Zod’s order to get on his knees before running off with a lisping Mr. Sulu/”George Takei” to have sex off-stage. According to the website, the production also wades into offensive racial territory with portrayals of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and rapper/singer Nicki Minaj.

I...I just dunno what's more bizarre; that someone actually thought it was a good idea to approve of this show for the public or that someone actually thought that Bill & Ted were relevant enough today to make them a part of a Halloween event.

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    w o w

What the actual fuck

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So...Captain America was my favorite non-Avengers movie of Phase 1.

And its looking to be my favorite non-Avengers movie of Phase 2 at this rate.

I'm feeling the same way about Thor

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Man, why would they drag the good name of Bill and Ted through the muck like that

That show is clearly not about being excellent to each other

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    So who's the new boring white suit in the Cap trailer?

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    CBR.com wrote:
    Responding to accusations of homophobia, and increasing media attention, Universal Studios Hollywood has canceled its Bill and Ted Halloween Horror Nights show, which featured a Man of Steel transformed into a mincing gay stereotype.

Part of the theme park’s annual Halloween event, Bill and Ted’s Excellent Halloween Adventure was a play in which the title characters are transported to the Land of Oz filled with references to sex and popular culture. According to Vice.com, Bill and Ted are joined in their quest to kill four evil witches by Superman, who’s turned gay after being accidentally sprinkled with fairy dust.

“After becoming gay, Superman’s voice and posture changes,” writes Vice’s Jamie Lee Curtis Taete. “His lips purse, his toes point inward, and his wrists become limp. His new voice sounds like a homophobic uncle doing a drunken impression of Richard Simmons, complete with lisps and frequent use of the word ‘faaaaaaabulous!’”

The depiction apparently goes downhill from there, with the Man of Steel groping his companions and blowing them kisses, and “mistaking” the intentions of General Zod’s order to get on his knees before running off with a lisping Mr. Sulu/”George Takei” to have sex off-stage. According to the website, the production also wades into offensive racial territory with portrayals of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and rapper/singer Nicki Minaj.

I...I just dunno what's more bizarre; that someone actually thought it was a good idea to approve of this show for the public or that someone actually thought that Bill & Ted were relevant enough today to make them a part of a Halloween event.

To be fair, Universal has always had a Bill & Ted show at their Halloween events. Knotts does the same thing by having their yearly Halloween parody show be called The Hanging.

The show always goes for the lowest common denominator when going for the humor, but this year's show was particularly bad. Even so, it's interesting that they just outright cancelled the show rather than go in and remove the incredibly bad parts, as they've done in the past.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Avraham wrote: »
    So who's the new boring white suit in the Cap trailer?

if you are referring to Robert Redford, I am going to have to ask you to step outside

So my theory about the trailer:
    Bucky was recovered by SHIELD, not the Russians. When Cap and Nat are in that older looking SHIELD facility they are looking for his origins and the "you helped decide the course of the century" speech is being delivered by Redford to Bucky, not Steve.

CYpGAPn.png
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So my theory about the trailer:
    Bucky was recovered by SHIELD, not the Russians. When Cap and Nat are in that older looking SHIELD facility they are looking for his origins and the "you helped decide the course of the century" speech is being delivered by Redford to Bucky, not Steve.

So what you're suggesting is that Marvel is once again going to betray the TRUE FANS of the comic books in an outrageous manner?

This discussion has been closed.