Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

MLP: Half the ponies, twice the excitement! Season 5 in Spring 2015!!!

RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
edited November 2014 in Singularity Engine++
SGsAlwv.jpg

Welcome to the pony thread! Where we have intellectual discussions about what drives us to watch colorful pastel ponies teaching us morals on friendship. Or we can argue at each other which pony is best pony...
We got season 4 coming November 23rd, excellent comics by amazing artists/writers and the Collectable Card Game coming out soon!
FAN ART!
KWgUbTM.png
hoBYumv.jpg
qqYvNeE.jpg
jasdDeJ.jpg
eN3ZmAd.jpg
c7oZ2K0.png
UVrgA3k.jpg

Ground Rules Still In Effect

No questionable art/stories/shipping/etc. We do not condone any sexualizing of the characters. Yes, we know The Internet does it. The Internet does that with everything. If people want to prejudge here based on there, that's their issue, but this thread is to be devoid of such content.

No linking to full episodes, with the exception of The Hub's website which has an episode or two plus a bunch of clips. The full series (including new episodes as they air) is available on iTunes. Season One is on DVD as well as Season Two on DVD. If you're not in a country where they offer it there, pester them until they do, I guess. Oh yeah, and seasons one, two and three are now available to stream at Netflix. There is also a pony movie which most people thought was alright. It's on DVD and Blu-Ray if that's your thing. It can also be viewed on Netflix.

Past Threads:

Friendship is Magic: Rarity Goes Overboard. Derpy Hooves is Still Canon
Friendship is Magic: Mild west dances, Pinkie Pie! MILD west!
Pony Thread III: Friendship is Magically Multimedia
Applejack's Wholesome Small-Town Apple Orchard
PonyThread Q: To Be Continued...
Pony Trek VI: The UnDiscorded Country
MLP: FiM: Transmuting Fanon Into Canon Since 2010
MLP: FiM: For the New Lunar Old Republic
MLPFiM: Season 3 November 10th
MLP:FIM: The show is now ruined forever (or not)
MS Pony Adventures: Shipping Is Magic
MLP: Season Four airs in Brovember.

Riokenn on
RuldarBlendtec
«134567100

Posts

  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    From the old thread:
    Gotta get a Rarity or Luna deck, assuming they have decks.

    The former's all but guaranteed. The latter... might actually be a good guess, too. Boxes of starter decks come with eight decks, and I would assume they didn't repeat any.

    Although doing some digging into the deck boxes finds a old entry on the Enterplay site that mentions that the theme deck boxes come with two characters, and so the box might come in a 2x4 spread. (One has a Foil RD and non-foil Rarity, and the other has foil Twi and non-foil AJ.) So PP and Fluttershy would be covered by the two-player starter.

    EDIT: Of course, that's why I should at least take a look at the Facebook, since this just went up.

    crC3kLy.jpg

    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Stabbity Stylelizze7011
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    There is also a pony movie which most people thought was alright. It's on DVD and Blu-Ray if that's your thing. It can also be viewed on Netflix.

    Actually, Equestria Girls is only available on disk. No streaming, which is unfortunate because I kinda want to see it.

    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I searched Netflix streaming and got no results, not even in the show's listings.

    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Must be something on Hasbros end. I can't find the FB announcement, guess they pulled it for some reason.

    @PMAvers Is that packaging one deck or two? Ima run me a Fluttershy deck and have no one to play with. :(

    Riokenn on
  • StericaSterica Wow! That was shit.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2013
    You're really not missing out on anything at any rate. I mean, the movie is still better than average for girls entertainment, but it doesn't have any of the writing that still fun to watch even after you're eight years old.

    The songs are also super generic and cringe-inducing. I guess it's one of those things you have to see for youself, but you can tell throughout the movie that the writers tried to make the best of Hasbro's desires to somehow sell Barbies from MLP.

    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    Stabbity StyleSedraxislizze7011
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I still say that "Win the Crown" is catchy as all hell, but yeah not really memorable.

    newSig.jpg
    RiokennRuldarAlbino BunnyPikaPuffCaulk Bite 6BlurblKalnaurlizze7011
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Here's an excellent Smile remix with was used in a very infamous video a month or two ago.



    Too bad MisterDavey is such a gore freak, guy has a lot of talent animating and drawing.

    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Caulk Bite 6Lovelylizze7011
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Must be something on Hasbros end. I can't find the FB announcement, guess they pulled it for some reason.

    @PMAvers Is that packaging one deck or two? Ima run me a Fluttershy deck and have no one to play with. :(

    As I understand it, it's one deck (seeing as how they're like $7 or $8), but it comes with both mane characters and they're built so you can swap between the two.

    So the RD/Rarity one will be a mix of Generosity/Loyalty cards, and the Twilight/AJ one will be Magic/Honesty. (Just like the GenCon demo decks, actually...)

    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    Oh man, Rarity + Rainbow Dash? I'm all over that. Is it Rainbow Dash with the foil in that pack or Rarity?

    SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I believe it's RD.

    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Quantronic Dreamgirl Registered User regular
    Luna deck should be based around being really fucking annoying and hardly ever doing anything.

    Then when you finally win it's with Luna coming in on the last turn 'hello Ponies, did I miss anything?' 8->

  • gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Luna deck is based around being a superhero, but you lose if anyone else learns your secret identity as the withdrawn princess of canterlot.


  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Dang I don't know how deep I should go with ordering cards. Maybe I'll have my LGS get me a box. But if I do that, do I need a starter? Questions~

    jCyyTSo.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Probably will need a starter, since I'd be surprised if the Mane Character cards were reprinted in the boosters.

    Who knows, though.

    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Needs more fanart...
    _gif__sweet_sleeping_by_lloserlife-d6rnjcv.gif
    mega_nightmare_x_by_rave_ix-d6roceo.png

    NocrenCaulk Bite 6Werewolf2000adJoolanderGoatmonRuldarAnialosApogeelizze7011
  • StericaSterica Wow! That was shit.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I wonder they'll do another Christmas episode

    YL9WnCY.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I love Luna dressed as Sailor Moon.
    :D

    newSig.jpg
    Caulk Bite 6JoolanderStabbity StyleRuldarAnialosReynoldsLovelylizze7011
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Cheers Luv! King's RowRegistered User regular
    tumblr_mu85xz7Chh1scx7aoo1_1280.png

    tumblr_oj5c1nDyyk1sk79exo1_250.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by beroberos Sig by jawlipops
    RiokennCaulk Bite 6Stabbity StyleJohnny ChopsockyGoatmonRuldarAnialoslizze7011
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    tumblr_mv13e6Iaz81sk6erqo1_500.jpg

    SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
    Caulk Bite 6GoatmonDirtyDirtyVagrantApogeelizze7011
  • GoatmonGoatmon Property of Amara_P Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    You're really not missing out on anything at any rate. I mean, the movie is still better than average for girls entertainment, but it doesn't have any of the writing that still fun to watch even after you're eight years old.

    The songs are also super generic and cringe-inducing. I guess it's one of those things you have to see for youself, but you can tell throughout the movie that the writers tried to make the best of Hasbro's desires to somehow sell Barbies from MLP.

    Also, while I couldn't really sit through the whole thing, the movie is still loads better than a lot of other girl-oriented entertainment out there.

    Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204


    lizze7011
  • warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    I kind of have a random question to a theory that I have been pondering...
    Anyone want to make a guess the the % of bronies who would have struggled with issues of chronic emotional abandonment (For what ever reason) at some time in time in their lives?
    I think It might be quite a high percentage. But I'm not sure... but the issue which all the the characters face is feeling emotionally abandoned in one form or another is a common theme to what makes the whole premise of the show enticing. It's a fantasy world in which friends come together to help each other overcome the abandoned each character faces. It's literally the premises to every single episode.

    If my theory was close to being correct I would argue the difference between those who like the show and those don't get what the whole thing is about. (Not meaning those who hate it that's another different thing) are people who don't struggle or have healthy ways resolve their abandonment issues so they don't need that fantasy the show offers.

    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
    lizze7011
  • SedraxisSedraxis Kooloo LimpahRegistered User regular
    I just saw cute characters that made me laugh.

    Mirrodinlandscape.jpg
    3DS: 0232-8293-7683
    Caulk Bite 6Johnny ChopsockyRuldarRiokennMs DapperJoolanderKayne Red RobeAnialosLovelyMr Fuzzbuttlizze7011
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Quantronic Dreamgirl Registered User regular
    I just saw that Luna was basically if Warmaster Horus came back after milenia and starred in a sitcom with the Emperor and I was hooked.

    RuldarPsychotic Onelizze7011
  • RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    b51T10z.jpg

    I so cannot wait for the Luna micro.

    Caulk Bite 6NocrenAnialoslizze7011
  • gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    warban wrote: »
    I kind of have a random question to a theory that I have been pondering...
    Anyone want to make a guess the the % of bronies who would have struggled with issues of chronic emotional abandonment (For what ever reason) at some time in time in their lives?
    I think It might be quite a high percentage. But I'm not sure... but the issue which all the the characters face is feeling emotionally abandoned in one form or another is a common theme to what makes the whole premise of the show enticing. It's a fantasy world in which friends come together to help each other overcome the abandoned each character faces. It's literally the premises to every single episode.

    If my theory was close to being correct I would argue the difference between those who like the show and those don't get what the whole thing is about. (Not meaning those who hate it that's another different thing) are people who don't struggle or have healthy ways resolve their abandonment issues so they don't need that fantasy the show offers.

    What you're saying is, "MLP is the fantasy of emotionally stunted young men". I know that's not what you're trying to say, but that is the implication that directly arrives from your premise. You're suggesting that MLP is being used as a form of self therapy, which in turn implies that we need a deeper reason to enjoy a cartoon.

    (I'm curious to find people who haven't felt emotionally abandoned at some point.) You're trying to draw a causal line between emotional states and fandom. Personality causality doesn't work that way.

    Some people like the show for escapism. Some like it for the character personalities. Some like it as mindless brain candy. Some like it because its bonding with their young children to watch. Some like it because years of anime have worn away the taboo against adults watching cartoons. Some people emphasize with the aesops the show purports to tell.

    You see this same kind of search for a basic "reason" with furries, gays, anime fans, Dr Who fangirls, anything. Research is done, and you end up with a bunch of useless correlations to the amount of "MLP fans have a 10% higher chance of scoring x on measure y!" As someone with a degree in Psychology, I can confidently tell you that those surveys are worth dog piss in terms of validity or longevity.

    There is no concrete cause. We can't sweep our arms and say "this is why!" for MLP any more than we could for people who love Shakespeare. Art is about resonating with individuals, and popular art is that which is sufficiently flexible to hit vastly different people and draw them together.

    Is the pony community awkward? Yeah, it is. We have a lot of young men with little experience modulating emotion and little societal framework for how to express them. Take a deep breath; take a step back; realize that emotional growth is as gangly and awkward as the physical kind. Its not necessarily indicative of an underlying issue any more than acne at 15.

    gavindel on

    ZeroczCaulk Bite 6RuldarBlurblhalkunarjeidiPikaPuffKalnaur
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    CBR has an extended preview of MLP #12 which among the extra pages has an origin for a particular ritual.
    MLP-12-pr-5-35769.jpg
    MLP-12-pr-6-32828.jpg

    Owenashi on
    Caulk Bite 6NocrenStabbity StyleBlurblRuldarWerewolf2000adJoolanderTofystedethGoatmonAndy JoeAnialosApogeeDedwrekka
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh, hey, nice.

    d4iM6he.jpg

    I have no idea why the deuce they sent these in such a huge box.

    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Stabbity StyleAnialos
  • RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    cadence_makes_a_good_javelin_by_chloenart-d5mf873.jpg

    That particular show joke will never get old.

    Ruldar on
    Stabbity StyleJohnny ChopsockyCaulk Bite 6TofystedethPsychotic OneGoatmonRiokennAnialosApogeelizze7011
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Whoawhoawhoa, no non-canon shipping in this thread.

    lizze7011
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    That's not shipping, Dash is practicing for the Pony Toss competition.

    jnij103vqi2i.png
    GoatmonRiokennlizze7011
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    yK74s8M.png

    steam_sig.png
    Caulk Bite 6Joolanderlizze7011
  • RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    I'm just wondering how that could be mistaken for shipping. Maybe I'm missing the joke?

    Stabbity StyleRiokennLovelylizze7011
  • warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    gavindel wrote: »
    Is the pony community awkward? Yeah, it is. We have a lot of young men with little experience modulating emotion and little societal framework for how to express them. Take a deep breath; take a step back; realize that emotional growth is as gangly and awkward as the physical kind. Its not necessarily indicative of an underlying issue any more than acne at 15.

    I wasn't trying to imply my thoughts were accurate, It's was just something I was thinking about. Sure the value could be low, or that I arrived at the wrong conclusion. I just think that a lot of the character hooks in the show of the main six are their struggle with these sorts of emotional issues. That's what makes them relatable and deeper characters. I was trying to work out what makes those character hooks effective. It might be less to do with the issues and more to do with the delivery of the show. Shrug. I don't know. Was just thinking about it.

    warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
    lizze7011
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Ruldar wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how that could be mistaken for shipping. Maybe I'm missing the joke?

    All I can figure is "something something shipping via air mail"

    jnij103vqi2i.png
    GoatmonRuldar
  • gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    warban wrote: »
    gavindel wrote: »
    Is the pony community awkward? Yeah, it is. We have a lot of young men with little experience modulating emotion and little societal framework for how to express them. Take a deep breath; take a step back; realize that emotional growth is as gangly and awkward as the physical kind. Its not necessarily indicative of an underlying issue any more than acne at 15.

    I wasn't trying to imply my thoughts were accurate, It's was just something I was thinking about. Sure the value could be low, or that I arrived at the wrong conclusion. I just think that a lot of the character hooks in the show of the main six are their struggle with these sorts of emotional issues. That's what makes them relatable and deeper characters. I was trying to work out what makes those character hooks effective. It might be less to do with the issues and more to do with the delivery of the show. Shrug. I don't know. Was just thinking about it.

    No worries. If you're looking for what makes a character hook effective, look at what a person adds to the character that doesn't exist in canon. Do they latch onto Rarity and turn her into the perfect high culture girl? Do they interpret Rainbow Dash's energy as confidence and excitement? Each of the Mane 6 has a very broad personality, and their maturity levels fluctuate wildly for the needs of the story. Observing which facets are important to which people shows you what version of a pony they love.

    I mean, I adore Sweetie Belle, but its probably because I'm the youngest in my family, and its easy for me to fantasize the perfect little sister role. (Conveniently tuning out the episodes where she's an annoying little snot). I also adore Celestia, because she has that sexy smooth way of talking (Blame Kikuko Inoue)...which is a little creepy, considering that's basically like hitting on Twilight's mom.

    Brb, fan fic incoming.


  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Apparently there's going to be a second wave of card sleeves with Trixie (w/amulet), Rarity, and RD on them. No word on release date.

    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Stabbity Style
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Ruldar wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how that could be mistaken for shipping. Maybe I'm missing the joke?

    Wife tossing is a perfectly wholesome activity, as long as it stays between husband and wife. Bringing in a third party is just messed up.

    Ruldar
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    According to FiMFlamFilosophy, Dinky Hooves is your typical youtube midteenager. Behold the terror from beyond.

    jnij103vqi2i.png
    Ruldargavindellizze7011
«134567100
This discussion has been closed.