As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLP: Half the ponies, twice the excitement! Season 5 in Spring 2015!!!

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    warban wrote: »
    The cutie mark is clearly a rocket.

Also, why way season 3 half length? Why?! *sob*

Technical possibility: Because the other half of production efforts went into equestria girls.

And it was never heard from in the main story, FOREVER!

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Part of the new Team Fortress 2 Halloween update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8REVZE-REw

"I am a pretty unicorn. I'm going to trot into the forest and pick each and every one of you maggots an arrangement of flowers. THEY WILL BE LOVELY! Am I making myself clear?"

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    That better be comparable with Heavy's costume from last year.

HEAVY IS SECOND-PRETTIEST ALICORN PRINCESS

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    For those that dig audio airings of dramas on ye olde radio, you might wanna check this out as a group has decided to produce a radio-play series based on FO:E. It aired recently on two pony-themed Internet radio sites, Phillydelphia and Celestia Radio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoZ7sp4Htlg

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    tumblr_mvge2cO3wX1qaplv3o2_1280.jpg

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular

"I am a pretty unicorn. I'm going to trot into the forest and pick each and every one of you maggots an arrangement of flowers. THEY WILL BE LOVELY! Am I making myself clear?"

Meanwhile in SFM the fans are busy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MRhRaWNaSPM

Can I have my SFM mlp movie or episode now?

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I'm always amazed at some of the stuff the fans make in SFM. Lots of quality stuff there.

• Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    So I may have found a leak of issue 12 (I don't feel too guilty since I have at least three different covers coming in the mail and will buy it on ComiXology later so I can read it again at lunch). Pretty hilarious, though it did seem to wrap up the problem faster than I expected. It also left open the issue of comic Twilight knowing at least a little about Shining X Cadance and show Twilight being oblivious, but I'm willing to hand-wave that as passage of time plus name confusion.

There is an absolutely hysterical page with Cadance, Celestia, and Buck. Also, a Carrie reference if I'm interpreting a brief scene in the gym rafters correctly.

• Options
    Well in the letter she got in the show it used her full name (Mi Amore Cadenza). I don't think comic Twilight heard that part and only her nickname. (Cadance) Then again I haven't read #12 yet. D:

• Options
    New comic book day!
    aug130382.jpg
    My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic #12
    The courting of Princess Cadence continues, as Shining Armor must find a way to win her hoof. But with the school dance quickly approaching, Shining Armor will have to call upon some familiar faces to catch the eye of his one true love.

aug130384.jpg
    My Little Pony 2013 Annual
    The world of My Little Pony expands in this special oversized Annual. Straight from the new, hit movie Equestria Girls comes all your favorite Ponies like you've never seen them before! New Looks, New Friendships, and New Dangers!
    Support your local comic book stores!

• Options
  • Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Heya, pony thread. So I know people occasionally post their own artwork here and I wanted to share something. One of the artists in my design studio has been experimenting with some concept characters. They're pony characters set in the Monster Hunter universe and there are a few rough sketches spoilered and linked below.

I'm not sure what we're going to do with these yet and they don't even have names. I think it would be neat to draw them hunting some of the canon large monsters in the series but that kind of drawing is outside our realm of expertise. If any of the artists around here are interested in a collab or something, PM me!

Zanshinretsu on
    My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have too many questions about Alicorns. Someone please tell me the producers have given some answers out somewhere?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Not a lot, but we may get some in the upcoming season 4 premiere.

• Options
    I dunno @Just_Bri_Thanks . What are your questions about Alicorns?

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well, there are several.

Is creating new magic the only way to become one or can you be born an Alicorn?
    Are all Alicorns immortal like Celestia and Luna?
    If so, how old is Cadence? Was she a previous magical student of Celestia?
    How does Celestia keep knowledge of Alicorn creation secret being as Twilight Sparkle was a fairly well known agent of Celestia before it happened? Presumably others have been as well in Equestrian history.
    Can only Unicorns become Alicorns?
    Does the Alicorn body type only happen to "born" Alicorn or do "made" Alicorn develop into it over time?

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Holy shit it's Bri.

How long have you been back here, broski?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Have I been gone?

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    It's pretty much all just wild guessing at this point.

My personal theory is that it's all a part of the whole Cutie Mark talent destiny thingy. Ponies are inherently born into forms that match their future talents/destinies. A pony that likes farming is guaranteed to either be an Earth Pony or have some other means of compensating for their pseudo-disability in not being an Earth Pony, ponies that like flying or weather will probably be Pegasi, ponies that like magic will probably be Unicorns, with the non-racial specific jobs filled out by pretty much anyone. Alicorns are ponies whose destiny is so great that they sort of overload the system, manifesting either all traits in combination or a fourth, rarely-reached form.

Celestia and Luna are Alicorns because their destinies are tied to the great power inherent in the sun and moon, whether from birth or by choice some time later. Likewise, Cadance's talent of love in general was significant enough to merit being an Alicorn. Twilight achieved Alicornhood by using the Elements and the spell she completed to essentially hack her own soul, merging in Honesty, Kindness, Laughter, Loyalty, and Generosity with her existing trait of Magic, building herself either a new Harmony-based destiny or some sort of horrific abomination of Honestykindnesslaughterloyaltygenerositymagic that may or may not cause issues for her later. If she hadn't been studying friendship, it probably would have driven her just as insane as the incomplete spell did for her friends.

• Options
    Because you can't have slaughter without laughter?

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Well, there are several.

-From what Lauren Faust wrote, Celestia and Luna are the only two true Alicorns. Born into it with all the magic and immortality. Twlight was never meant to be an Alicorn in her story. But since Hasbro loves money and likes teaches young girls if you try hard enough anything is possible the current show writers wrote that in for Twilight to become an Alicorn.
    Are all Alicorns immortal like Celestia and Luna?
    -No. I believe M.A Larson or some other person writing for the show mentioned only Celestia and Luna are immortal.
    -Well judging by the comic I'd say she is about 10-12 years older than Twilight. So perhaps 28-30 when she got married? In a apparently canon book called The Crystal Heart Spell, Cadence tells her story to Twilight how she became a Alicorn. Spoiler'd
    Princess Cadance is featured in the chapter book Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell. The book tells the story of Twilight Sparkle after she'd been made an Alicorn and seeks advice on being a princess. She turns to Cadance, who tells her life story, how as a baby Pegasus she was found in the woods by Earth ponies, who took her to their village. When she grew up she reversed a love-stealing spell cast by a pony called Prismia. Prismia wore a magic-enhancing necklace that amplified her evil and jealousy, but when Cadance confronted her, the necklace amplified Cadance's love. Once Prismia changed her horrible ways, Cadance was surrounded by magical energy and transported to a strange place where she met Celestia, who adopted her as her royal niece.
    How does Celestia keep knowledge of Alicorn creation secret being as Twilight Sparkle was a fairly well known agent of Celestia before it happened? Presumably others have been as well in Equestrian history.
    -I don't understand the question. :(
    Can only Unicorns become Alicorns?
    -Nope. I believe someone on the show said Pegasi and Earth Ponies can become Alicorns as well.
    Does the Alicorn body type only happen to "born" Alicorn or do "made" Alicorn develop into it over time?
    -Alicorn seems to be a title if anything. It's something you have to earn so I doubt any pony can simply be born into it. Edit: Other than the obvious Princess Sunbutt and Moonbutt.

Riokenn on
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    We did get some backstory for Cadance in a chapter book that came out. I'm a little iffy on the exact details, but she started as a pegasus that went through some process that was mildly similar to what Twilight went through. Something about a witch and creating her heart magic, and bam! new horn.

Actually, scratch that, I found a excerpt from the book in question:
    "You're such a great princess, Cadance," Twilight said. They approached a young Crystal pony couple, who smiled and bowed as the princesses passed them. "I wish I could be like you. I feel so lost."
    "You know," Cadance offered, "I didn't always feel so confident."
    "You didn't?" Twilight asked, trying to think of a time when Cadance had seemed as lost as she felt now.
    "When I was found as a baby Pegasus, in a forest far, far away..." Cadance began the familiar tale. Twilight listened intently as Cadance recounted her path to becoming the great pony leader she was today.
    Cadance told her how some Earth Ponies from a nearby village took her in as their own little filly. And as she grew up, the natural love and compassion she had for others filled everypony with warmth and the urge to protect her. Cadance was definitely special.
    But all was not well for long.
    An evil pony enchantress named Prismia lived alone nearby. She rarely came out of her cottage because she felt nothing but jealousy for the other ponies in the village - the way they loved and took care of one another. And yet, she had nopony who cared for her. Prismia always wore a powerful necklace, which she cared for more than anything else in the world, and it served to amplify the evil and jealousy within her own heart. When Prismia's bad feelings and the power of the necklace finally overtook her, she cast a spell on the villagers that leeched all the love from their homes. She hoped to capture some of that love for herself. Everypony was distraught and sad.
    Cadance decided that she couldn't let that happen, so she went to see Prismia. Luckily, the enchantress's powerful necklace also amplified the power of Cadance's love, and she soon defeated Prismia with her incredible gift of compassion. Once Prismia changed her horrible ways, Cadance was surrounded by magical energy and transported to a strange place - a place that nopony except Princess Celestia has ever been! So when Celestia discovered special little Cadance in that mysterious location, her fate was sealed. The princess brought her back to Canterlot to raise her as her very own royal niece - the special and loving young Princess Cadance.
    Princess Cadance's special talent had always been her amazing ability to spread love wherever she went - settling conflicts and bringing ponies of all kinds together. In her final exam at Celestia's school of magic, Cadance was even able to make two known rival pony families of Canterlot become best friends for life.
    "So I spent a long time in Canterlot just resolving conflicts whenever I was needed and helping other ponies find love. I never really experienced it for myself." Cadance blushed a little and giggled. "Even though I did have a crush on your brother."
    Twilight made a disgusted face. "Yuck."

Ruldar on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular

Supposedly if you look closely at MMC Twilight is slightly taller after her transformation, so at least part of the Alicorn body type comes with spiffy wings.

I wonder how comparable it would be to Luna in the pilot before she gets taller and more magic-y by Luna Eclipsed.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    As much as I preferred having just the two Princesses as Alicorns, I'm okay with Twi and Cadance being demi-gods to the Princesses' God-hood. Something like what you see in Greek mythology with gods, mortals, and everything in between.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Bremen wrote: »

Supposedly if you look closely at MMC Twilight is slightly taller after her transformation, so at least part of the Alicorn body type comes with spiffy wings.

I wonder how comparable it would be to Luna in the pilot before she gets taller and more magic-y by Luna Eclipsed.

I'd want an episode about Twilight having recurring nightmares about growing taller than all her friends due to becoming an Alicorn. Both Literally and figuratively.

• Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular

Yeah, about that...

9HalUJC.jpg

I had to do it.

• Options
    You bought it or did it drop for you?

Also, I was gonna take some drawing requests in today seeing how it's Halloween and all. But THESE HERE popped up and I have to work on my anti-spoiling plans today.

• Options
    Bought it. It was completely worth it.

• Options
    RPBAwaX.jpg

The show staff really tweet a lot.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I wonder if we can pin down what they're talking about when it comes out. We got something similar about animating a particularly horrifying part of the season 2 ending, and that seemed pretty obvious.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Well, there are several.

-From what Lauren Faust wrote, Celestia and Luna are the only two true Alicorns. Born into it with all the magic and immortality. Twlight was never meant to be an Alicorn in her story. But since Hasbro loves money and likes teaches young girls if you try hard enough anything is possible the current show writers wrote that in for Twilight to become an Alicorn.
    Twilight became an alicorn via Starswirl's spell being perfected. So that would imply that Luna and Celestia weren't created that way, or by any known spell.
    -Well judging by the comic I'd say she is about 10-12 years older than Twilight. So perhaps 28-30 when she got married? In a apparently canon book called The Crystal Heart Spell, Cadence tells her story to Twilight how she became a Alicorn. Spoiler'd
    Princess Cadance is featured in the chapter book Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell. The book tells the story of Twilight Sparkle after she'd been made an Alicorn and seeks advice on being a princess. She turns to Cadance, who tells her life story, how as a baby Pegasus she was found in the woods by Earth ponies, who took her to their village. When she grew up she reversed a love-stealing spell cast by a pony called Prismia. Prismia wore a magic-enhancing necklace that amplified her evil and jealousy, but when Cadance confronted her, the necklace amplified Cadance's love. Once Prismia changed her horrible ways, Cadance was surrounded by magical energy and transported to a strange place where she met Celestia, who adopted her as her royal niece.
    Didn't read that spoiler, but now I'm having head cannon that Cadence became an alicorn via Celestia, then Celestia tried it again, but in a more organized way. So she took in Sunset Shimmer as a personal student. So Sunset Shimmer knows about Princess Cadence and that she's probably going to be an alicorn next. Which boosted Sunset Shimmer's ego and expectations to the point that Equestria Girls happened. And Twilight Sparkle is try number 3. But this time without those expectations, Celestia kept the alicorn plan on the down low.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Well, there are several.

Twilight became an alicorn via Starswirl's spell being perfected. So that would imply that Luna and Celestia weren't created that way, or by any known spell.

I'm sure there was more to it than just figuring out how to make the spell work. Friendship and what not.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Word on Season 4's third episode popped up over at ED.
    The third episode of season 4 has also been revealed on Zap2it.

Season 4 Episode 3
    Title: Castle-Mania
    Synopsis: While in Luna and Celestia's old castle, the ponies are convinced it is haunted by the Pony of Shadows.
    Air Date: November 30, 2013

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    lVJViG4.jpg

6w1iWQn.jpg

Eyr5p7M.jpg

More S4: Cast lists for the opening two-parter have been revealed on ED, confirming presence of
    Discord and Zecora.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    My only regret, in regards to that video, is that I have but one awesome to give.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Blurbl wrote: »

The dutch angles are what really sell it.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.