As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND - mods close this please

• Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I probably won't get to watch this until I get home to my high-speed internet, but no reason you guys shouldn't. Character creation vid. Watch and report please. :D

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I probably won't get to watch this until I get home to my high-speed internet, but no reason you guys shouldn't. Character creation vid. Watch and report please. :D

:D

The video is really cool. Shows off male and female rockers; besides a name, you pick a "hometown," which seems to alter their idle stances (New York shuffle, London sway, etc.) and then you can pick a "style" for rocking out, like metal, rock, punk, goth, etc. From there you get dozens of different options for faces and hair, alter weight/height, eye and hair color, etc. Pretty straightforward, but holy shit the art style is like a bajillion times better than what Activision's doing for GH3.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    yes, but I am in Canada

where our dollar is kicking your dollar in the face, and yet I'll end up paying $200.

so

next

Okay man you can come play it at my house sometime then.

Captain K on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    Black Friday really is a terrible day to go shopping. On the flip side, that also might be the day that I squat overnight for a good HDTV deal. If I could come home with both of those bad boys on the same day, I will be driving home with tears of joy streaming down my face like an anime character.

The trick is to living in a podunk little town like my dad does. Ever hear of Lake Placid, FL? They are famous for murals. That's it.
    Their entire downtown has one stoplight.

Think Mayberry. I went shopping on Black Friday for the first time ever last year with him. it was awesome. I've never seen less people in my entire life shopping anywhere.

Oh, and my Wii totally needs a system adendum.
    :craves game:

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh shit, the character creator makes some awesome looking character. Seeing this feels quite good after the nightmare-inducing GH3 characters.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Black Friday really is a terrible day to go shopping. On the flip side, that also might be the day that I squat overnight for a good HDTV deal. If I could come home with both of those bad boys on the same day, I will be driving home with tears of joy streaming down my face like an anime character.

The trick is to living in a podunk little town like my dad does. Ever hear of Lake Placid, FL? They are famous for murals. That's it.

Bull shit. They have giant alligators.

Remington on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Remington wrote: »

Bull shit. They have giant alligators.
    There is a 14ft gator in the most random and incredible steakhouse ever... but that is technically not in Lake Placid. It is in Sebring.
    Side story: The owner of said random and amazing steakhouse use to own a huge snake. One night, it tried to kill him. The next night, it was on the menu.

edit: oh, hey, you were making a joke about the movie. The movie actually takes place in Lake Placid NY

Improvolone on
  • Options
    TacoManTacoMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

...besides a name, you pick a "hometown," which seems to alter their idle stances (New York shuffle, London sway, etc.) and then you can pick a "style" for rocking out, like metal, rock, punk, goth, etc... but holy shit the art style is like a bajillion times better than what Activision's doing for GH3.

Limed being damn straight.

I can see where you might think that the hometown might affect their stance but I didn't really see any obvious changes as the user scrolled through the hometowns (which is an arbitrary customization element anyways) ; it just looked like your standard idle standing around fare...besides, I don't think it would be kind to make Seattle the hometown of the hip swaying "waiting for the bus" look D:

Nice try though but I think if anything the rock style will decide the power stance. Kinda sad that there's no facial hair though.
    Bearded ladies need some lovin' too

TacoMan on
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    TacoMan wrote: »

...besides a name, you pick a "hometown," which seems to alter their idle stances (New York shuffle, London sway, etc.) and then you can pick a "style" for rocking out, like metal, rock, punk, goth, etc... but holy shit the art style is like a bajillion times better than what Activision's doing for GH3.

I can see where you might think that the hometown might affect their stance but I didn't really see any obvious changes as the user scrolled through the hometowns (which is an arbitrary customization element anyways) ; it just looked like your standard idle standing around fare...besides, I don't think it would be kind to make Seattle the hometown of the hip swaying "waiting for the bus" look D:

Nice try though but I think if anything the rock style will decide the power stance. Kinda sad that there's no facial hair though.

I won't go into details, but there's more than what that video shows. :P

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The price is better than the $200 everyone expected, but I'm disappointed it's coming out on Black Friday. I want it the day it comes out, but I don't want to fight throngs of soccer moms.

Also how much is going to cost me to get just drums and the game God damn it

bruin on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah.. I just want to know the price for drums+game.

Also.. Good Lord the art style for the characters kicks the shit out of NS's GH3 stuff.

slash000 on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    no Omaha for hometown?

WTF?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    The price is better than the $200 everyone expected, but I'm disappointed it's coming out on Black Friday. I want it the day it comes out, but I don't want to fight throngs of soccer moms.

Drums: 79.99
    Game: 59.99 (for 360/PS3)

Oddly it seems that the 360s wireless guitar is $20 more than the PS3's hrmmmmm...

EDIT: $140 for drums + game so 30 more gets u a mic and a guitar.

Brue on
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Highway Star intro sequence = win

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Brue wrote: »

Drums: 79.99
    Game: 59.99 (for 360/PS3)

Oddly it seems that the 360s wireless guitar is $20 more than the PS3's hrmmmmm...

Bluetooth license/hardware cheaper then Microsoft's wireless?

SpikedFreak on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    All I know is that MS has been kind of a bitch about licensing its wireless tech for controllers. That must have something to do with it.

Also, $80 for the drums?

Urg. I'm going to have try this game out before I buy it, me thinks.

slash000 on
  • Options
    keroppileekeroppilee Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Am I the only one who isnt familiar enough with the songlist? I want this game but I dont think I'd be able to sing any of the songs because it's just not my music genre. I'm sure it'd be fun to play the instruments but I felt ever since the first guitar hero the music isnt mainstream enough for me. I apologize to all the hardcore rock listeners for my weak taste in music :P

keroppilee on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Why not pre-order it from an online reseller, and have it delivered to your door on release day? The extra $20 it will probably cost will easily offset the hassle of Black Friday.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hmm well by flawed math and history, I'll try and figure out the $AU.

Regular 360 AUD= $110
    Regular 360 USD= $60
    Ratio: 1.83... Which is semi-understandable. The dollar-to-dollar exchange is typically ~1.2 but the cost of bringing it over to a smaller market in Australia compared to the 'states will inevitably increase the price.

Sooo the theoritical price for a 360 bundle in Austarlia issss... *drum roll <pun>*... Holy crap over $300 D:

umm.

Wow. They uhh... they might want to lower that price.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MithrusMithrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really want this, and I'll get it so I can play it on my PS2 (I already have the PS2 guitar), but I want to get drums too. I won't if they're over $100. That's for certain.

Mithrus on
    getwriters.jpg
    Send a pm my way if you're interested.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    So who is setting up a mic stand to play an instrument, too?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was ready to spend the 200 dollars on the bundle (Already preordered), so the 170 price tag is a pleasant surprise.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man, I'm glad that the PS2 version is coming to the US, and in 2007 no less, but I'd like some sort of news on the possibility of a Wii version. I'd rather buy it on the Wii than the PS2, but... I do want to buy it.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am not paying >$300AU for a $170US product when $1AU == $.88US. No fucking way.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    All I know is that MS has been kind of a bitch about licensing its wireless tech for controllers. That must have something to do with it.

Also, $80 for the drums?

the folk over there making GH guitar was going to make one guitar for all three systems, but MS pissed all over on that plan.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Have you guys heard of Bang Camaro? I somehow got them in my myspace friendlists, and one of their bulletins just announced their song " Pleasure, Pleasure" is going to be in the game. I listed to it, and I think it'll be fun to play.

One of their guys also did mocap and wrote about it.

http://www.bangcamaro.com/articles24.html

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    slash000 wrote: »

Also, $80 for the drums?

Oh my god, trust me, the drum controller is worth $80.

Captain K on
  • Options
    davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Have you guys heard of Bang Camaro? I somehow got them in my myspace friendlists, and one of their bulletins just announced their song " Pleasure, Pleasure" is going to be in the game. I listed to it, and I think it'll be fun to play.

One of their guys also did mocap and wrote about it.

http://www.bangcamaro.com/articles24.html

Bang Camaro's "Push Push" was one of my favourite songs in GH2. More Bang Camaro can only mean good things.

Edit: I had no idea the guitarist from Bang Camaro was from Harmonix, or that Bang Camaro employs anywhere from 10 to 20 vocalists to sing during live shows. (Gang vocals FTW) Cool points +2.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    TacoMan wrote: »

I won't go into details, but there's more than what that video shows. :P

Just got to watch it. Kick ass. That's gonna be a lot of fun. Top notch HMX.

Also, I think what Moss is probably refering to is where you can design/add/modify tattoos and such...that's probably also where you'll add stuff like facial hair. It'll be nice if that's in another section along w/ clothing and accessories where you can change it throughout your career path. I always get annoyed that games don't let you alter your facial hair after the initial creation.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So, any word on this being for Wii. Considering that's all i have, i'd really like it if it was :P?

BigKev on
    Steam ID : BigKev87
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nice to see there isn't too much delay on the PS2 version. Definitely getting that, although it will be sad to miss out on DLC (unless they wrangle something for the PS2 somehow).

Man, not sure how to sort out the guitars though. I already have 2, one each from GH1 and GH2, and I can't decide if I should get ones from GH3 and RB or not. It really depends on whether they feel significantly better I guess.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nice price on that bundle. Like, everyone else, I was thinking it would be $200 even. Bummer about the release date. I typically make it a point to never go to any stores on Black Friday, but this is what it would take to get me out there.

Up until recently, I was hoping that a good PS2>PS3 controller adapter would come out so I could use my current wireless PS2 guitar as a bass for Rock Band. But a trip to a co-worker's party fixed that. I had brought my axe just in case, since I knew they had GH1-2 and a bitchin' surround system. Everyone out back and in the pool seemed like they were getting a little bored and that the party needed a new direction, so I grabbed my controller and went back there and was all, "Are you ready to ROKK?!" And then some drunk bitch came out of nowhere and pushed me in the pool. On my way down, my guitar smashed into the ledge.

I don't like to think of it as broken. It just rocks in a new way. As a very expensive maraca.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Clearly, that drunk bitch was not ready to rokk.

Captain K on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Clearly it was an act of god.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am not paying >$300AU for a $170US product when $1AU == $.88US. No fucking way.

You think that's bad? The Canadian dollar is slightly above the US dollar right now, and we'll still probably get charged at least $200 CAD. It's not as big a difference, but ours should be the same price.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    To anyone complaining that this is on Black Friday: Why? It only costs $5 to put money down on a reserve. And as for the game itself, releasing on Black Friday puts me in a better mind that this will sell a lot better. I mean, I know we were all expecting to get it, but I wasn't expecting RB to be the big seller that GH is. Now I'm not too sure.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    To anyone complaining that this is on Black Friday: Why? It only costs $5 to put money down on a reserve. And as for the game itself, releasing on Black Friday puts me in a better mind that this will sell a lot better. I mean, I know we were all expecting to get it, but I wasn't expecting RB to be the big seller that GH is. Now I'm not too sure.

Just b/c pretty much every retail store is hell on earth to go into on Black Friday, reserve or no reserve. I remember going into a Best Buy on a Black Friday morning, completely wall-to-wall packed with people. Even with absolutely no hang-ups re: a presale, maneuvering the giant Rock Band box through a giant mob of frantic shoppers isn't quite a fun time.

Still, not a very good reason not to buy it.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Can we fix the OP? At this point, it's pretty clear that it isn't an april fool's joke.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really don't think Rock Band is going to get pre-orders to the effect where stores will run out, mainly due to the fact that it costs so much and isn't an established franchise yet. Maybe in New York or someplace, but here in the middle-of-nowhere, I'm not too worried.

Besides that, hopefully I can go into my Circuit City that morning and buy it before the place opens and just stash it in my car until Hell is finished. I probably won't actually get to play that weekend at all, however...

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

You think that's bad? The Canadian dollar is slightly above the US dollar right now, and we'll still probably get charged at least $200 CAD. It's not as big a difference, but ours should be the same price.

Any country that isnt American or Japan will forever be screwed when it comes to games.

And hey, if I was given the choice of forking out a few extra bucks and getting it on 23/11 as opposed to forking out many more bucks and getting it Q1 2008, I would take the first offer.

But lets not argue. Let us be UNITED in our condemnation of the gaming market at large!

And where the hell is goddamn Trauma Centre

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png