As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ROCK BAND - mods close this please

• archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    FightTest wrote: »
    YardGnome wrote: »
    Song Announcement: "Welcome Home" by Coheed and Cambria

here

YES

YES YES YES

I've wanted this song in a game for so long.

I bet it was easier to license than Kashmir.

(I like Welcome Home but srsly)

I see what you did there... and I lol'd

I'm thinking it won't be as bad to sing as everyone thinks, thanks to handy octave changes.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man after playing Guitar Hero 2 I am so glad that Rock Band has decided to avoid the tracklisting full of ridiculous fucking metal songs that are just an incoherent wall of notes.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dammit. Why "Welcome Home"? It's a kickass song, but they have so many other songs that are a better fit for Rock Band. "A Favor House Atlantic", for example.

"Three Evils (Embodied in Love and Shadow)" and "Ten Speed (Of God's Blood and Burial)" are other examples.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mr Bubbles on
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dammit. Why "Welcome Home"? It's a kickass song, but they have so many other songs that are a better fit for Rock Band. "A Favor House Atlantic", for example.

"Three Evils (Embodied in Love and Shadow)" and "Ten Speed (Of God's Blood and Burial)" are other examples.

The opening.

Oh god the opening

YardGnome on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    YardGnome wrote: »

The opening.

Oh god the opening

It's a cool opening, but translate it into a rhythm game and it's not hard. At all. In fact, I'm willing to go as far as saying that Welcome Home will be a tier 2 song, 3 maximum. (They're still doing tiers, right?)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    YardGnome, we might have to do some kind of SoufPAX Winter Edition so we can jam on Rock Band together.

Captain K on
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    YardGnome, we might have to do some kind of SoufPAX Winter Edition so we can jam on Rock Band together.

It's at my house this time.

YardGnome on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just bought a new (used) car, so I'm not worried about it breaking down on the highway. DanvillePAX is a distinct possibility.

Captain K on
  • HelfMyselpHelfMyselp Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    research
    OK, good find. But as you said, there isn't anything there that's not in the chart, at least as far as 360 goes (which is all I am concerned about). I also seem to remember Harmonix saying that the Strat would work with GH2, but I cannot find a source for the life of me.

To recap, we are trying to check the following (all for 360):

Will the Les Paul work with Rock band?
    Will the Strat work with GH3?
    Will the Strat work with GH2?

Also the Co&Ca news is awesome. I cannot wait to play Welcome Home. Six solos! :^:

HelfMyselp on
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Speaking to Bits Byets Pixels & Sprites, a Harmonix rep confirmed that Rock Band instruments will not be sold separately from the game until 2008. In other words, if you were planning on buying a copy of the game and a set of drums separately, you're out of luck. If you want Rock Band this year, you'll be paying $170 for the whole kit and kaboodle. The rep gave two reasons for this. First, creating multiple bundles would increase costs and lead to fewer bundles being available at launch. Second, retailers aren't exactly keen to have 3 different (and large) versions of Rock Band clogging their shelf space.

The rep also speaks about a few other issues, the most pressing of which is probably DLC pricing, a hot topic among Guitar Hero II fans. The rep is quick to point out that Rock Band tracks require more development than Guitar Hero tracks, as there are more instruments to be dealt with. In other words, we're expecting they won't be cheap, though the rep explains that there are many ways to pick and choose DLC. For instance, whole albums will be available as well as single songs, and there may be special offers for those that purchase multiple tracks. DLC is expected to arrive every week after the game ships through the end of the year, starting with The Who's Who's Next. Finally, the game is expected to have nearly 50 songs on the retail disc, not including bonus unlockables.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news.php?id=253

Well... fuck. I'm still picking this up, was going to buy the full set anyways but they just turned my friends off the game for awhile.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hey, they upped it to fifty (and that's not including bonus songs). Not bad.

While RB DLC might be more expensive, somehow, I think I might not have as big a problem with it as I do with Guitar Hero II and III. Maybe because they aren't forcing three pre-arranged packs and letting us choose what we want and still get discounts on buying multiple songs at once.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Vampire_GoldfishVampire_Goldfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Reznik wrote: »
    Man after playing Guitar Hero 2 I am so glad that Rock Band has decided to avoid the tracklisting full of ridiculous fucking metal songs that are just an incoherent wall of notes.

Hey... fuck you and your obvious lack of knowledge concerning metal.

There really has only been maybe two or three metal songs in ALL of the GH series and there is a serious lacking in Rock Band.

Vampire_Goldfish on
    signatureseh.jpg
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Harmonix didn't just "decide to avoid" metal songs for RB. The fact is, metal songs are much better geared towards a game focusing on playing the guitar; whereas Rock Band focuses on singing/drums/guitar/bass. They had to choose songs that would be reasonably fun for all of these instruments. Metal songs are really fun to play in the guitar parts, but maybe not so much for the other parts.

slash000 on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Reznik wrote: »

Hey... fuck you and your obvious lack of knowledge concerning metal.

There really has only been maybe two or three metal songs in ALL of the GH series and there is a serious lacking in Rock Band.

I keep saying that. Rock Band doesn't have nearly enough metal, which is why I like GH3's track list more. I understand that it's harder for them to put metal songs in simply because of the singing, but still.

noir_blood on
  • Vampire_GoldfishVampire_Goldfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Almost all good metal is a blast to play on guitars and drums, both equally so. A good amount of bands use insane technical bass playing as well which is rarely seen in other genres. Vocals? Thats a personal taste as they can range from falsetto like Rob Halford to guttural growls of Karl Sanders to a good classic shriek like Stu Block or any other vocal skill. Metal has used any and all vocal techniques you can ever think of. Hell, a Death/Jazz metal band used ROBOT vocals!

I knew they weren't trying to avoid metal on purpose, but its still disappointing for me to see a lack of it. I think it works perfectly for band hero, since Metal requires talent and passion from all instruments and incorporates all different styles. Metal is not always fast thrash killing riffs.

Vampire_Goldfish on
    signatureseh.jpg
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nile - The Burning Pits of the Duat needs to be in this game:lol:

I'd kill for some mid-paced thrash in this game though, the drumming would be quite fun.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    DLC is expected to arrive every week after the game ships through the end of the year, starting with The Who's Who's Next. Finally, the game is expected to have nearly 50 songs on the retail disc, not including bonus unlockables.

Well... fuck. I'm still picking this up, was going to buy the full set anyways but they just turned my friends off the game for awhile.

hmm...yah, the last number we'd heard was 45...dunno if that counts as "nearly fifty". I'd certainly welcome a few more added in. On the worrisome side, does this mean DLC is only going to be weekly for the five or so weeks that will be remaining in 2007? I realize that they can't do dlc forever, but before I'd heard it referred to as "for the first year of release", which would imply 52 weeks of gauranteed dlc...

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    DLC is expected to arrive every week after the game ships through the end of the year, starting with The Who's Who's Next. Finally, the game is expected to have nearly 50 songs on the retail disc, not including bonus unlockables.

hmm...yah, the last number we'd heard was 45...dunno if that counts as "nearly fifty". I'd certainly welcome a few more added in. On the worrisome side, does this mean DLC is only going to be weekly for the five or so weeks that will be remaining in 2007? I realize that they can't do dlc forever, but before I'd heard it referred to as "for the first year of release", which would imply 52 weeks of gauranteed dlc...

I hope that's not the case. DLC for this game is going to be awesome and I hope they make tons of it.

Also, 35/50 songs announced by my count I think, 2 bonus songs have been announced and that's it so far.

The other thing I'm really interested in is the Achievements for this game...

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Any confirmations on a UK price? Direct conversion would be £90 but then we've got to add on the statutory "screw the British" charge which I'd guess would push us up to £120.

That's an awful lot to shell out on a game before Xmas.

Hmmm....Xmas. Methinks Santa will be leaving a Guitar, Drum and Microphone shaped present for me this year!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited October 2007

I hope that's not the case. DLC for this game is going to be awesome and I hope they make tons of it.

Also, 35/50 songs announced by my count I think, 2 bonus songs have been announced and that's it so far.

Yah, they've announced 35 of the licensed songs so far, but prior to this article the most recent number of total licensed songs I've heard has been 45...so I'm hoping this means it's closer to 48 or so perhaps...with the way I think they've structured the career mode, where you can build your own set-lists I believe, there might not be any reason why they have to stick to a multiple of 5...but who knows. We gotta find out the final, done and done list soon, right? We're looking at six weeks from today I believe for release...

As for the DLC thing, I've got to believe that was just mis-stated. With the amount of DLC they've already announced (full album of Who's Next, Massive Metallica song pack, and massive Greatful Dead song pack) that's a hell of a lot of songs right there. Should keep them going well past Jan 1, 2008.

DLC pricing is one of the last major things that could trip a lot of people up. I think it says a lot that they're quick to mention how much more work goes into DLC songs for Rock Band vs. Guitar Hero...I think we might need to be bracing ourselves for 3 bucks a song. At least they are doing it right in that you have many different ways to puchase songs and you don't ever HAVE to buy a song you don't want, like with the GH2 3-packs. If you'll remember, before the bundle price was announced there were many vague comments from HMX and folks saying things like, "we believe we've hit a good price point" and "people may be surprised when we announced pricing", which we certainly were. They foreshadowed a lower bundle price, and might be foreshadowing a higher DLC price that we've all been anticipating.

the Togfather on
    twit feed
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Any confirmations on a UK price? Direct conversion would be £90 but then we've got to add on the statutory "screw the British" charge which I'd guess would push us up to £120.

That's an awful lot to shell out on a game before Xmas.

Hmmm....Xmas. Methinks Santa will be leaving a Guitar, Drum and Microphone shaped present for me this year!

You won't be shelling out for it before Christmas.

It's been pushed back to "Q1 2008" at last check.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Yah, they've announced 35 of the licensed songs so far, but prior to this article the most recent number of total licensed songs I've heard has been 45...so I'm hoping this means it's closer to 48 or so perhaps...with the way I think they've structured the career mode, where you can build your own set-lists I believe, there might not be any reason why they have to stick to a multiple of 5...but who knows. We gotta find out the final, done and done list soon, right? We're looking at six weeks from today I believe for release...

As for the DLC thing, I've got to believe that was just mis-stated. With the amount of DLC they've already announced (full album of Who's Next, Massive Metallica song pack, and massive Greatful Dead song pack) that's a hell of a lot of songs right there. Should keep them going well past Jan 1, 2008.

DLC pricing is one of the last major things that could trip a lot of people up. I think it says a lot that they're quick to mention how much more work goes into DLC songs for Rock Band vs. Guitar Hero...I think we might need to be bracing ourselves for 3 bucks a song. At least they are doing it right in that you have many different ways to puchase songs and you don't ever HAVE to buy a song you don't want, like with the GH2 3-packs. If you'll remember, before the bundle price was announced there were many vague comments from HMX and folks saying things like, "we believe we've hit a good price point" and "people may be surprised when we announced pricing", which we certainly were. They foreshadowed a lower bundle price, and might be foreshadowing a higher DLC price that we've all been anticipating.
    Well, seeing as how they said you'll be able to buy the songs individually, I wouldn't mind $2-3 dollars a song. My only real beef with the GHII DLC was that you had to buy 2 songs you didn't like to get one you did. And a new song I like in Rock Band is well worth $3.

Inglorious Coyote on
    edited October 2007

Well, seeing as how they said you'll be able to buy the songs individually, I wouldn't mind $2-3 dollars a song. My only real beef with the GHII DLC was that you had to buy 2 songs you didn't like to get one you did. And a new song I like in Rock Band is well worth $3.

Exactly. 2 bucks a song would be AWESOME, I'd be flat-out happy to pay that. 3 bucks is about what I'm expecting and I'd be ok w/ it. 4 bucks...that feels real high and would probably cause me to only buy the ones I absolutely want, which is fine, like you said at least I get the option of buying only songs I want, which does go a long way. And they specifically confirmed that you'd see a discount w/ bundles, so there's always that too...might take it down to 3 bucks a song by going w/ the bundle.

The thing that's cracking me up is, on the official forums, people all up-in-arms at possibly having to pay 2 dollars or more. Anyone who was thinking they were going to be able to buy a song for Rock Band for less than 2 dollars has been kidding themselves. That just doesn't make sense.

the Togfather on
    twit feed
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    3 bucks a song is fine with me. I'm also fine with variable pricing depending on song length/difficulty, in fact I'd probably prefer it.

Ideally, I'd like to play through a song twice before deciding to buy it or not. But I'm guessing that's too much to ask.

I have $80 worth of points from a Circuit City deal sitting in my account waiting to be spent on DLC, since little else released by Xbox has been worth spending it on. Whether I'll even want to purchase that many songs, I dunno. That's why I'd like to try them first.

Strato on
  • GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If you guys are planning to buy and play rockband, well it seems you may need to make sure you have deep pockets:

http://http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/10/11/rock-band-no-separate-instruments-until-2008/

Basically, there will be only 1 package available for rockband, and it's the package with all instruments (the 170$ package)... NO seperate instruments available until 2008.

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Guibs wrote: »
    If you guys are planning to buy and play rockband, well it seems you may need to make sure you have deep pockets:

http://http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/10/11/rock-band-no-separate-instruments-until-2008/

Basically, there will be only 1 package available for rockband, and it's the package with all instruments (the 170$ package)... NO seperate instruments available until 2008.

Oh

well

fuck.

Guess I'm gonna have to wait until christmas for it.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The wireless guitar, for 360 at least, is still being sold separately.

Gork on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Does anyone know if the 360 bundle comes with some sort of USB splitter? It would really suck if it didn't.

bruin on
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the 360 bundle comes with some sort of USB splitter? It would really suck if it didn't.

I have like zero proof but I'm pretty sure I've heard it does.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, it'll come with a USB hub.

Inglorious Coyote on
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, it'll come with a USB hub.

Excellent! Thanks

bruin on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Welp, that's another game I don't have to worry about getting this year.

:x

mntorankusu on
    edited October 2007
    I don't see why it's a big deal, the price of the game plus any of the individual instruments (except mic maybe) is close enough to the bundle that I can't imagine why someone wouldn't just buy the bundle instead. I mean if you can afford to spend $140 on a game you can spend $170 on a game.

bruin on
    edited October 2007
    Gork wrote: »
    The wireless guitar, for 360 at least, is still being sold separately.

Yes, but they've said those won't be available on release day either. I'd expect them the same time as the other standalone periphs...sometime in 2008.

There was a larger article that explained their reasoning, something about how packaging the items seperately as well as bundled would drive up the price of the bundle (not sure how that's the case) and would make for less bundles available (makes sense as they can only make so many before release time). They're probably expecing to sell out of their first wave of bundles, so they really wouldn't have an incentive to offer standalone products. Their last reason makes a lot of sense to me, I gues retailers were none-to-happy about coming up w/ the shelf space for all those different packages, especially during the holidays. One single bundle is much preferrable to them.

Doesn't affect me none, and I imagine that once we see the actual prices of the standalone products, it's not going to make a lot of sense to spend a possible 120 bucks on game and drums or 110 on game and guitar, when for only 50 or 60 more you get the full deal. That's just a guess though...might not hold out to be true.

the Togfather on
    twit feed
    edited October 2007
    I don't see why it's a big deal, the price of the game plus any of the individual instruments (except mic maybe) is close enough to the bundle that I can't imagine why someone wouldn't just buy the bundle instead. I mean if you can afford to spend $140 on a game you can spend $170 on a game.

Not to mention that precisely because of this decision, standalone products will probably be in high demand on your ebays...buy the bundle, recoup your losses...if you can handle that 170 upfront anyway...

the Togfather on
    twit feed
  • HoberShortHoberShort Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Strato wrote: »
    Ideally, I'd like to play through a song twice before deciding to buy it or not.

Yes, please.

HoberShort on
    "Games are made out of smaller games – turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn’t deserving of the name." -Raph Koster
  • HelfMyselpHelfMyselp Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    IGN has a new little ditty about Sabotage (including a video with lots of yellow and orange notes and a total douche playing the Strat), but the important things in the article are as follows:
    The IGN wrote:
    If you're taking on the manly role of being bassist in Rock Band, there are a few songs that will have you smiling. One of the best is "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys. The ultimate bassline in Rock Band, though, is in a song which IGN will reveal next Monday. You'll never in a million years guess the song (we promise), but it's considered one of the most difficult in the game and nearly ended the Ignorant Sluts. The bassline is the sickest we've played in Rock Band.

The bass guitar has all the same functionality as lead guitar. So Overdrive (previously Star Power) is executed by tilting the next up. This earns you sick points through a hefty multiplier. It also is used to rescue a band member that's failed out. And you will want to save them as quickly as possible, because if they aren't earning points, then the band's overall score will be down. And it's that final score that will help earn you new groupies and cold hard cash. Plus, if a member stays down too long, the entire band fails out. A good bass guitarist is also a team player.

Check back next week when IGN unleashes five full days of Rock Band coverage. We'll be revealing a new song on Monday and building to bigger and better things throughout the week.

HelfMyselp on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What could it possibly be :O

One Thousand Cables on
  • AirswoopAirswoop Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So does this whole "one one package" deal mean that I will be unable to only buy the game? Or are they saying they are not selling separate instruments?

Airswoop on
    Airswoop.jpg