As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, October 25, 2013 - Clotheshorse

2»

• Options
    calamityjamiecalamityjamie Corgi Wrangler Seattle, WARegistered User staff
    psyck0 wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid question, but what is this "kickstarter gaming night"? Are they recorded and uploaded somewhere?

One of the Kickstarter reward tiers was a game night at the office. It's not recorded- just whomever bought the tier plus a friend and the office. Good times!

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I will probably have to pick up this game soon. Maybe next time I am back in the states to avoid on shipping fees. I need more small (physically) and light fun games for my board gaming needs here in Japan. It seems like you could break this game down to fit in a pretty small container. Also I think my group here would get a kick out of it, it's mostly girls, and I think most of them would quite enjoy playing the Gentleman and angrily telling their Lady that they can't afford that stupid fancy new hat for them.

• Options
    mehmehmehmehmehmeh Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Saw the comic this morning at work, thought the game sounded interesting, came home to look it up on amazon and it's $106?? Looks like there is some price gauging going on

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Libellud-ASMLADG01EN-Ladies-and-Gentlemen/product/B00BN6VS4C

mehmehmeh on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Smoogy wrote: »
    Hooray for Penny Arcade's attempts to stamp out its misogynistic reputation!

Even though I think it's a commentary on the stupidity of the game, it just doesn't go over that well.

Britta-3-britta-perry-30280718-630-355_zpsa270ff7c.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2013
    mehmehmeh wrote: »
    Saw the comic this morning at work, thought the game sounded interesting, came home to look it up on amazon and it's $106?? Looks like there is some price gauging going on

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Libellud-ASMLADG01EN-Ladies-and-Gentlemen/product/B00BN6VS4C

It might be between prints. Checking some websites that I usually get boardgames from (Amazon tends to not have the best price) they have the game at a much better $26 but are out of stock. So, I guess it is between prints and some people are trying to turn a buck on Amazon while it is temporarily scarce.

Edit: Ah yeah, even the publisher's site has it as "Indisponible" (unavailable).

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    I desperately need to watch Gabe and Tycho and the crew playing this game. And I need to do this yesterday

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I will say, however, that a series of them playing board games might be pretty entertaining. Edit it down to the good bits, maybe.

If the Geek & Sundry video of them playing Shadows over Camelot is any indication, it would be great.

• Options
    RasberryPhiRasberryPhi Registered User new member
    Does Tycho know how to use words? Sometimes he gets so carried away trying to use verbal flourishes, he makes an ass of himself.

Example:
    Most people I know arrived at Ladies & Gentlemen via the video by Shut Up & Sit Down, which is one of the more interesting things I have ever seen situated beneath the review aegis.

"situated beneath the review aegis"? Seriously? Aegis means shield. The phrase "beneath the aegis" means "under the protection of". It absolutely doesn't apply to this case.

I find this extremely maddening... it's tough to sit down and read an entire post by this guy when he does pretentious verbal backflips which land him in hot water over and over again, when really he's trying to get across a VERY SIMPLE CONCEPT.

A tip for someone who claims to be a writer: Writing is about communicating something meaningful, not showing everyone how refined you *think* you are.

• Options
    Tycho likes to have fun with language.

The meaning of that sentence is absolutely clear.

I think the only person here trying to show how refined they think they are is you.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I find this extremely maddening... it's tough to sit down and read an entire post by this guy

Then don't.
    A tip for someone who claims to be a writer: Writing is about communicating something meaningful, not showing everyone how refined you *think* you are.

Tycho writes (and often talks) in a purposefully verbose, overblown and baroque style, because it amuses him. Unlike you, he doesn't take things too seriously. His writing style also amuses a lot of people who read his posts. If you aren't one of them, find something else to do with that 45 seconds of your time every Monday/Wednesday/Friday. Life is full of so many things, a veritable rich and multi-hued tapestry of experiences, a menacing hydra of opportunity costs, I'm sure you won't have any trouble.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    It's also not a phrase he invented.
    While these definitions may affect the contours of Federal programs beneath the aegis of any particular agency, the ultimate outcomes of rural broadband policy as formulated by elected officials and appointees probably rely less on formal definitions of rural than on perceptions of rural.
    Such multilateral interventions have the advantage of allowing the prominence of US national interests to be submerged beneath the aegis of multilateralism
    Just a couple from the first page of google search results.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Does Tycho know how to use words? Sometimes he gets so carried away trying to use verbal flourishes, he makes an ass of himself.

Example:
    Most people I know arrived at Ladies & Gentlemen via the video by Shut Up & Sit Down, which is one of the more interesting things I have ever seen situated beneath the review aegis.

"situated beneath the review aegis"? Seriously? Aegis means shield. The phrase "beneath the aegis" means "under the protection of". It absolutely doesn't apply to this case.

I find this extremely maddening... it's tough to sit down and read an entire post by this guy when he does pretentious verbal backflips which land him in hot water over and over again, when really he's trying to get across a VERY SIMPLE CONCEPT.

Not surprisingly, I'm in full agreement with you except for the fact that Tycho is not trying to show how refined he is; this is his actual writing style. I don't particularly like it, but he's not trying to be pedantic to prove his intellect, etc. He just happens to have a very verbose and overwrought style which some people like and others do not. It's polarizing, much like some of the comics. I do like to read the posts to see what kind of nonsense he's dredged up to communicate a simple concept and understand others may enjoy it, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    SpiraMirabilisSpiraMirabilis Registered User regular

Example:

That is one definition of the word 'aegis' but it is possible for a word to have multiple meanings. I think he was going for the 'auspices' synonym not the 'shield' synonym for the word aegis.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    While it originally meant 'protection' the meaning of aegis has been blurred to mean 'umbrella' or 'domain'. It seems mainly from political use.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    It's very curious that people will complain about stuff like this 15 years into the comics life. You only just noticed they do this? Were you heavily medicated until recently? Go back through the newsposts and see if you can find one where Jerry doesn't use a four syllable word, or one where he doesn't dredge up a rarified collection of letters that looks like a randomly generated password but actually means something like the small hair you find on caterpillars (Setae, the plural of Seta; pronounced See-tee and See-tah respectively. You are welcome).

• Options
    Hooray for Penny Arcade's attempts to stamp out its misogynistic reputation!

Even though I think it's a commentary on the stupidity of the game, it just doesn't go over that well.
    Cambiata wrote: »
    This sounds like a super progressive board game.

I'm glad someone else posted this video explaining the game, because it actually sounds like a delightfully subversive blow against the idea of traditional gender roles.

Ladies and Gentlemen is fantastic, and is made more so when you have gender roles mixed up. Watching two rugby players (one with a Majestic-level beard) plead with their "husbands" to be allowed to buy the dress and the shoes with such earnest expressions is just beautiful. A prop box of hats, pipes and false moustaches enhances the game, as does the cross-dressing. But maybe that's something you need to make optional. You know your gaming group better than I do.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Jerry's posts are intentionally very purple. It's not necessarily great writing, but it's a fun way for him to write what would be otherwise very droll information about the comic and what he's been up to.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    It's very curious that people will complain about stuff like this 15 years into the comics life. You only just noticed they do this? Were you heavily medicated until recently? Go back through the newsposts and see if you can find one where Jerry doesn't use a four syllable word, or one where he doesn't dredge up a rarified collection of letters that looks like a randomly generated password but actually means something like the small hair you find on caterpillars (Setae, the plural of Seta; pronounced See-tee and See-tah respectively. You are welcome).

Not everyone has been reading the comic for 15 years. And if you don't like something, you should say so. Respectfully of course. I think the common fan response of "if you don't like it leave" is too glib. Commercial enterprises need feedback. If all they get is "we love you" while people stop visiting, that isn't useful. I think Jerry's unadulterated text is too convoluted to be enjoyable.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    "situated beneath the review aegis"? Seriously? Aegis means shield. The phrase "beneath the aegis" means "under the protection of".

Protection or sponsorship.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Not everyone has been reading the comic for 15 years. And if you don't like something, you should say so. Respectfully of course. I think the common fan response of "if you don't like it leave" is too glib. Commercial enterprises need feedback. If all they get is "we love you" while people stop visiting, that isn't useful. I think Jerry's unadulterated text is too convoluted to be enjoyable.

But they aren't complaining about something new. This is something long established, an intrinsic part of the Penny Arcade ouvre. It's the equivalent of complaining, not about a change in the comic art style, but about the fact there is a comic.

Jerrys posts are deliberately linguistically complex. Always have been, always will be. And it shall continue into the next generation.

So yes, when complaining about something as fundamental to Penny Arcade as the newspost, maybe the response of "if you don't like it, leave" is glib but appropriate. As Gaslight pointed out, nobody is forced to read it. And there are plenty of people who enjoy it, as evidenced by requests to learn new words at PAX.

• Options
    edited October 2013

But they aren't complaining about something new. This is something long established, an intrinsic part of the Penny Arcade ouvre. It's the equivalent of complaining, not about a change in the comic art style, but about the fact there is a comic.

Jerrys posts are deliberately linguistically complex. Always have been, always will be. And it shall continue into the next generation.

So yes, when complaining about something as fundamental to Penny Arcade as the newspost, maybe the response of "if you don't like it, leave" is glib but appropriate. As Gaslight pointed out, nobody is forced to read it. And there are plenty of people who enjoy it, as evidenced by requests to learn new words at PAX.

Who are you to declare how people enjoy Penny Arcade?

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    No one complains when Gabe pushes the limits of his craft. :?

• Options

He didn't. He said if people don't enjoy this particular aspect of Penny Arcade, they may as well skip it, because it's not going to change at this point and nobody is forcing them to read it or saying they have to enjoy it.

I am pretty sure there is a large percentage of people who read the comic who never read the newsposts at all. I am pretty sure they would be the majority in fact, with a smaller percentage who read the comic and newspost, and then those of us who read the comic, newsposts, and the forums the very small minority.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    MKR wrote: »

Maybe not, but how he experiments with it on the journey to pushing those limits is probably complained about even more than Tycho's writing style.

Side note: I know they don't read the forums or anything, but does it seem more respectful to refer to them as Gabe and Tycho or Mike and Jerry? They've been doing a lot more to separate the characters lately, ala recent comic.

• Options
    MKR wrote: »

Maybe not, but how he experiments with it on the journey to pushing those limits is probably complained about even more than Tycho's writing style.

Yeah, there was a LOT of flak directed at the art in the unicorn comic, some of it justified and legitimate, some not.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »

He didn't. He said if people don't enjoy this particular aspect of Penny Arcade, they may as well skip it, because it's not going to change at this point and nobody is forcing them to read it or saying they have to enjoy it.

I am pretty sure there is a large percentage of people who read the comic who never read the newsposts at all. I am pretty sure they would be the majority in fact, with a smaller percentage who read the comic and newspost, and then those of us who read the comic, newsposts, and the forums the very small minority.

There's still nothing wrong with complaining about something or finding fault with it, even if a minority of people feel this way. If you want these threads to be nothing but "ra ra ra, Penny Arcade is the best! They can do no wrong!" then you have much to learn about online forums, especially for largely-read, established personalities with a history of polarizing their audience.

Smoogy-1689

• Options

What I'm hearing is "it's fine to be happy with things about Penny Arcade, but it's not ok to say you don't like something". Since Mike and Jerry don't generally read the forums, it doesn't matter either way. But even if they did, it shouldn't matter. We're all here to talk about Penny Arcade, and I think a one-sided conversation is boring.

• Options
    edited October 2013

There's still nothing wrong with complaining about something or finding fault with it.

And there's also nothing wrong with other people rebutting your complaining and explaining why they think it is baseless and futile.

Nobody is censoring anybody, nobody is being oppressed, there is no violence inherent in the system. You're totally free to voice your opinion that a newspost or whatever is dumb...but other people equally have the right to say your opinion is dumb and furthermore that it's dumb to complain about something which won't change and which you can ignore if it brings you no enjoyment.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I'll give ya that! Now if only the people rebutting had actual arguments! Now to jump into the Monday thread and complain about another bad comic.

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I'll give ya that! Now if only the people rebutting had actual arguments!

Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Jerry's posts are intentionally very purple. It's not necessarily great writing, but it's a fun way for him to write what would be otherwise very droll information about the comic and what he's been up to.
    That is one definition of the word 'aegis' but it is possible for a word to have multiple meanings. I think he was going for the 'auspices' synonym not the 'shield' synonym for the word aegis.
    While it originally meant 'protection' the meaning of aegis has been blurred to mean 'umbrella' or 'domain'. It seems mainly from political use.
    Tycho writes (and often talks) in a purposefully verbose, overblown and baroque style, because it amuses him.

Hey look at these arguments!

Note that these were all in response to the guy who at least raised a specific example of what he doesn't like about Jerry's writing by pointing to the aegis thing. So if you feel like people aren't making actual arguments in response to you, maybe you should make some actual specific criticisms? When your posts are basically just "Jerry's writing is bad and I don't understand it" there's not much anybody can say but "OK, too bad for you?"

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Meh, I've already gone into why this style doesn't work for me and I've acknowledged it works for others. And sometimes, he writes some nice little nugget that I find interesting, which is why I continue to read the posts.

Also, every single comic has had to be explained to me by a blog post recently. I read the post in order to gain clarity on the comic, which I have been reading for the better part of 7 years. I feel like I never used to have to read the post in order to understand the comic, but as the posts have become centered more and more on obscure topics (Ladies and Gentlemen, The Stanley Parable being the recent ones) I have been compelled to do so. I want to understand the comic, so I read the post. I don't enjoy having to wade through Jerry's verbiage and writing to do so, but I continue because I'm hoping the comic gets back to being what it once was for me: a nice little chuckle or nostalgia on M-W-F. It just feels more avant-garde now and it doesn't particularly agree with me. Also, the fact that the comics have required outside reading/viewing to truly grasp is upsetting to me. Without watching the video explaining what Ladies and Gentlemen is about, that comic came off as if Gabe and Tycho were really into a very misogynistic game that is designed to perpetuate antiquated gender norms. Since I have a few female friends who stopped going to PAX East simply because they don't want to give their money to misogynists, it seemed like a poor choice of comic content.

I've never once said I don't understand his writing. Everything he writes is perfectly understandable. It's the fact that his posts lack clarity and simplicity that I don't like. Again, it's a stylistic thing on what I value vs. you and others. If I wrote like that in history graduate school, my professors would have destroyed me. The whole point of my writing has been to explain a point as clearly as possible. Sure, I love some verbal flourishes every now and then, but every single sentence like that is very tiresome to me.

You're right that there is no point to comment on the style in a general sense without specific examples. He writes like he writes and I wouldn't expect him to change. I just don't have to like it, but I'll only bring anything up if I find something egregious or particularly unsettling to my stomach as a reader ;)

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689

• Options
    The verbosity of the vernacular in the prose of the posts has never been an impediment to me. Maybe I'm just weird.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    No, you might just like that style. Judging by your first sentence above, I'm not surprised that you would enjoy someone who utilizes unnecessary words to get a point across. Can't tell if that was tongue-in-cheek or not :D

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689

• Options
    There's a tongue-shaped hole in my cheek.

• Options
    Actually I find this notion that "If you don't like something you should say so" is only really a recent phenomenon, and there is this tinge of self-entitlement about it.

The deal with PA has been the same for a long time now: You get a comic, and you get a newspost. They are drawn and written as they are. You don't like a particular one, you are free to try the next one. You can repeat this for as long as you want, and you are free to stop at any time.

Things such as "I don't like this new art style" is a valid opinion, "I don't like this new art style, he should go back to the old one" you are telling him what to do when he promised you exactly nothing in the first place.

If you are promised something and then it fails to appear, you have a reason to be critical. But what have you been promised? Mike and Jerry make a comic three times a week and write a newspost accompanying it. Beyond that, they owe people nothing.

They get complaints when they run things like Sand or The Tithe, because "they aren't gaming comics." Then they get complaints when they run comics about a Tabletop game which some people might not be familiar with (despite a video review running on the site some weeks beforehand) because why? Only videogames are allowed? By whose rules? And now The Stanley Parable gets complaints because some people haven't played it.

I'm honestly a little tired of it. Back at the beginning I hadn't played Tribes when that comic came out. I hadn't played SIN. Know what I did? I read about them, and tried them out. I sure as hell didn't complain with things like "Also, the fact that the comics have required outside reading/viewing to truly grasp is upsetting to me." Guess what, pretty much all comics everywhere will be enhanced when you have extra knowledge of the subject. That you don't know what this comic is about shouldn't be upsetting. You should be seeing an opportunity to learn about something new, something that people you claim to like and have things in common with regard as "fun".
    Without watching the video explaining what Ladies and Gentlemen is about, that comic came off as if Gabe and Tycho were really into a very misogynistic game that is designed to perpetuate antiquated gender norms. Since I have a few female friends who stopped going to PAX East simply because they don't want to give their money to misogynists, it seemed like a poor choice of comic content.

So you made a knee-jerk judgement on something you had little knowledge of. It happens. Learn more about it. The fact that you were wrong doesn't mean the comic is in any way bad. Just means you lacked sufficient context. I'm sure that there are comics you liked because they are about games you know, and other people didn't like because they didn't know the game. That doesn't alter the comic in any way.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I've continually said that understanding the references in these comics is obviously a major boon in finding them humorous. Why that particular comic failed is that they actually tried to set the comic up with a rudimentary snippet in Panel 1 about the rules of the game ("Ladies...buy clothes?"). It made it seem like this was a terrible game...only if you went outside the comic (or are one of the 10 people who play this game) would you then be able to realize that L&G was not a place to rehash sexist ideas of gender norms. I don't think I was wrong at all.

Anyway, I'm done beating this horse...it's been dead a long time. I will just be hoping that Wed comic is something I find appealing immediately, so I don't have to wade into the morass that is the blog post.

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689

• Options
    I've continually said that understanding the references in these comics is obviously a major boon in finding them humorous. Why that particular comic failed is that they actually tried to set the comic up with a rudimentary snippet in Panel 1 about the rules of the game ("Ladies...buy clothes?"). It made it seem like this was a terrible game...only if you went outside the comic (or are one of the 10 people who play this game) would you then be able to realize that L&G was not a place to rehash sexist ideas of gender norms. I don't think I was wrong at all.

Anyway, I'm done beating this horse...it's been dead a long time. I will just be hoping that Wed comic is something I find appealing immediately, so I don't have to wade into the morass that is the blog post.

One of the 10 people who play this game. Wow. Disparaging, dismissive, condescending, all in one sentence fragment. I think I see the problem. Anything you don't know about is not worth spending time on, right?