Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Dead/stuck subpixels

MKRMKR Registered User regular
I'm sticking this behind a spoiler because I know some people have trouble looking at repeating patterns:
gZnnfmB.jpg

I can't tell whether these two green subpixels are dead or stuck. I've tried the massaging thing. I probably didn't give that site with the colorful patterns long enough, but I wanted to see if there were other options before letting it sit for a few hours.

This is a not too old laptop (2009 Toshiba Satellite), so it doesn't seem old enough for this to be a serious issue. In your experience, is this likely to be an isolated thing, or should I be scraping together enough money to buy an external monitor? Are there any other things I can do to get these pixels back in line? They're off to the side where text and images rarely sit, and green isn't exactly a common color, so it's not much of an annoyance.

edit: The red and blue subpixels work fine on those two pixels. That's a green test screen, so only the green subpixels are lit. I don't know if that matters.

edit: I took a closer look with an all black screen. The green is definitely partially lit, so it looks like they're stuck, not dead.

MKR on

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    You are better off ignoring it if it is ignorable.

I would suggest against any rub or tap methods to fix a stuck pixel. There is a high chance that you will make things worse with either of those methods than actually improve the issue.

Replacing the screen will set you back around 80-120$* if you went that way.

*if you replace the screen yourself -which is not hard if you understand how to use a Phillips screwdriver and pop the plastic bezel.

Draygo on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    It's mostly ignorable. I plopped GIMP down on it and figured out it's just a little bit green. It's only noticeable on the rare occasion that I have a light color over there and have something to look at in that spot, and that's rare.

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    yea, your brain will start to edit around it soon, so it's not that bad.

wVo0Rgr.png