As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, October 28, 2013 - Parabolic

2»

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I love this comic for two reasons: 1) The PA-ized versions of Mike and Jerry are adorable and 2) They're both right. :D

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Can't wait for the news post on this.

Incidentally, the Stanley Parable is brilliant and everyone should play it.

(And the demo)
    Is the demo different from the main game in any way? Because if it's a unique demo then I'll play it, but if it's just a piece of the game, I'll just wait till I pick up the full game.
    The demo is a standalone 'episode'

Yeah, it's completely unique and everyone should check it out even if they had played the game and/or OG mod. Or at least watch a playthrough of custom versions they sent to Adam Sessler and the Steam Train guys.

• Options
    thepuregamerthepuregamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Houn wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    He would have been better off saying that it's edge over competing products is that it's better for productivity applications than ordinary tablets. I think that's the point he's trying to make. This is the kernel:
    The Surface Pro is a work machine.

A person in a medical practice carrying a Surface around to run medical programs and take notes is not really a "creator" by any definition.

Which was my point. It's a terrific and positive review of the device before he tangents at the end there, getting all defensive about imaginary arguments against his review.

His review isn't really complete without him giving his personal context at the end. He approaches his review from atleast 2 very specific points. How he uses it as a graphic artist and how he uses it as a gamer. Adding this at the end is to add show that although he loves the surface pro, he understands that he is particularly suited to like it.

As he says:
    if you only want to read, surf the web and watch/listen movies/music, then the surface pro does more than you are looking for and is not necessarily what you need.
    If you are someone who is interested in ultrabooks because you need lightweight work computers, then a surface pro is a very compelling device because it saves you from carrying a tablet and a ultrabook. So basically this is a huge boon to anyone who needs a work tablet.

I do think he makes the surface pro look like more of a niche product than it is. Considering that android and ios tablets are still functionally equivalent to their phones, there isn't much benefit to having a tablet if you already have a smartphone. In fact, tablets without data plans are more limited than smartphones. At which point, if I am going to carry around a 2nd electronic device after my smartphone(which I can already use to read emails, surf the web, listen to music, and do basically anything that a tablet can do), I am going to pick a device that can do more than my smartphone. Currently that is a laptop but with a surface pro, I get form factor of a tablet and the functionality of full computer.

I was already doing this in a adhoc way by having debian linux on my transformer tf300t but obviously very few people are going to be able to handle installing linux on their arm tablets. Thus devices like the surface pro are definitely the future. Apple may be making fun of it now but much like their sudden 180 on phones made from plastic, they will also change their opinion in a year or 2 about hybrid mobile devices.

thepuregamer on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Tycho's newspost today is excellent, especially the conclusion:

"But somebody’s gonna fucking dance about architecture one of these days, they will, and my greatest fear that I won’t recognize it when it happens."

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I actually was considering picking up one for my kids to use for schoolwork and Minecraft, and his post pretty much sold me on it as a neat, portable computer. Then he had to go "it's for creators like me, it's not for you" in his probably-not-intentional-but-he-does-it-all-the-time way, and now I don't want the device to see a single dime of my cash. Which is my not-serious-in-the-long-term-but-for-now-fuck-that gut reaction.

*shrug*

I really think you are reading a little too much into that. I took it to mean that it's a device that allows significant two-way communication between the user and content, as opposed to something like the iPad or Kindle which are really just media consumption devices.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Not that I need another damned device in my life, but the prospect of a tablet with decent battery life that could play a big chunk of my Steam library at medium or better settings is hugely appealing.

Maybe I could be a creator too. Maybe some kicking spreadsheets.

Mostly games though.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Iolo wrote: »
    Not that I need another damned device in my life, but the prospect of a tablet with decent battery life that could play a big chunk of my Steam library at medium or better settings is hugely appealing.

Mostly games though.

Playing games is creating. Watching an Arkham Origins video on Youtube = Consuming. Pressing X to make Batman slam a knee into a face = Creating. Without your input he just stands there. Batman needs you to create the content.

PedroAsani on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Boler wrote: »
    I liked the game but am having a hard time getting myself to play it for the other endings, knowing that I will have to trudge through content I've already seen just to get to the point where I make that other decision.

That's really my only gripe about the game though, everything else is fantastic.

Honestly, there's not that much overlap content-wise in regards to the endings. You can generally just head straight forward to whatever branch you need to make a different choice in.

I wonder if it would've went over better with Gabe if he tried to break it down in context he would (probably ignore) maybe understand?

The narrator is a Dungeon Master. Stanley is the players. The DM has gone through elaborate preparations to create a story for his players to play through, but they keep on wandering off and fiddling with things he didn't prep. Hilarity ensues.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »

Mostly games though.

Playing games is creating. Watching an Arkham Origins video on Youtube = Consuming. Pressing X to make Batman slam a knee into a face = Creating. Without your input he just stands there. Batman needs you to create the content.

That's actually a pretty interesting thought process to take. I never considered that and reminds me of Tolkien's "man as sub-creator" idea. In this case, the player is the sub-creator in the world already made by the primary creator, i.e. the game designers. Regardless of differences elsewhere, thanks for sharing that idea.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    DCAarmusDCAarmus Registered User regular
    I believe fact that Mike created some or all of the recent Daughters of the Eyrewood strips on his Surface Pro is the best advertisement the device can ever or will ever receive. If the Pro 2 is all of that plus better guts and longer battery life, I'm sold.