As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GIANT BOMB Has Been Rated

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    I'm the type who would play a Dwarf Wizard, because I like to overcome shortcomings with strategy.

I also like being contrary

This implies that dwarves don't make good wizards.

This is not a correct implication.

Sorry, I don't know the specifics of the game

Insert <Race> <Race's Least-Advantageous Class>

I'm just going to write down warforged double vampire. werewolf.

Melding on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    mike

no

NO

RU09mqz.jpg

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Those shots probably sent the druid into Kodiak arrest

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Dwarves make the coolest [class] thematically

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Langly wrote: »
    Those shots probably sent the druid into Kodiak arrest

SHUT IT FUCKING DOWN I HAVE BEEN BESTED HOLY SHIT LANGLY

T4CT on
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I'm really glad to be playing D&D again. It is really super fun with a great group. Actually, if anybody's interested in my Gamma World campaign, this is what happened last session:
    The party of five are:
    • Moren Wrathwall, a Doppleganger Mind Coercer.
    • Lichael Dingtray, a Pyrokinetic Empath.
    • Tally Youngblood, a Hypercognitive Giant.
    • Idafox, a Mind Breaker Felinoid.
    • Oryx, a Plant Cockroach.

They have been tasked with travelling to London (titled Ye Olde London to the chagrin of one of my players who is a history buff) to retrieve the Royal Crown for a mysterious benefactor. Since this was their first adventure I decided to simplify things a bit and give them two options of travel to the Formerly United Kingdom. By boat or by plane. (the former through the East? India Trading Company and the latter through United Airways)

Both had their various pros and cons and the party chose to fly, they insisted the in flight movie was The Hobbit. I then gave them some background lore on the world of Gamma Terra, a post apocalyptic world where multiple realities, universes and timelines have collided into one another. I planned a simple encounter, pirates! Well, badger pirates and a Yexil. Since they took the plane, it was sky pirates who entered through the cargo bay/hold.

The battle lasted about an hour and a half of real time. When the book says Gamma World is much deadlier than regular D&D, it really means it. By the end of the battle most of the players were dying or dead and using death saving throws. It was an intense battle with a few fantastic mistakes on their end. The battle started with Moren taking a crossbow bolt to the chest and losing half his health, and spiraled down from there with Tally jumping onto a crate and then almost immediately being knocked off and knocked prone by the Yexil. Idafox also didn't do well with a critical miss on his ranged attack, leading to him throwing a shuriken into his own foot. Oryx managed to miss two enemies with her entangling roots spell, but she did hit Idafox with it!

Luckily, Lichael, the pyrokinetic carried the battle for the most part. She started with a ring that boosted her attack and defense rolls, and getting lucky with every overcharge roll led her to throwing fire around and doing quite a bit of damage to every enemy.

Eventually, despite some of the party wishing to be diplomatic with the Yexil and convince him to turn on his crossbow wielding mace friends, Moren pushed for violence and Tally leaped onto the back of the Yexil allowing Idafox to swing his machete and finish off the Yexil.

Their victory was short lived however. During combat another Yexil ate the pilot and half of the cockpit, sending the plane crashing into the English countryside. They have awoken in an inn, rescued by a man named George. They now find themselves in the village of Sandwich, Kent. (It used to be a town but a giant smashed a big chunk of it looking for its namesake)

The first member to awaken was Moren who immediately interrogated the innkeeper to see if he was a Yexil. They've started to hate Yexils (they were especially perturbed that it can shoot lasers out of its eyes). In exchange for rescuing them, the innkeeper has asked them to help the village in dealing with a certain problem.

End of their first session!

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Dwarves make the coolest [class] thematically

Everyone deserves to play a party of Dwarven clan-mates at least once. The most fun I've had in D&D has been in parties with high Dwarf-Notdwarf ratios.

Everytime an elf npc came up we would just roll our eyes, elbow each other and brush off whatever incredibly important information they had for us.

Adventure hooks had to come from a tavern or they didn't come at all.

The DM gave us an airship and we crashed it on purpose because it was unnatural that feet should rest above the air.

Whyther on
  • IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    Man if I was that druid is pip's game I would have straight murdered him.

Ain't nobody going to kill an animal friend.

xet8c.gif
    Also I would have barked at him a bunch and called him a traitor.

xet8c.gif
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    This calls for a dredd gif.

He wouldn't have put up with this shit because in pretty sure kidnapping 50 children is against the law.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    Taking a bear out back and shooting should be against the law if it isn't already.

xet8c.gif
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Couldn't you have asked the bear first? Cast a spell to make there bear speak so you can ask it to sacrifice its self to save the poor lil children.

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    a bear is easily worth 50 thousand snot-nosed children, if not more

broken image link
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    A few friends and I started our first DnD campaign a little while back. We've been having a lot of fun with it; there's a main storyline, but we rotate the DM a bit so the main guy doesn't get burnt out. It's a lot of fun seeing how people approach both the RPing and DMing differently, it was my turn last week and I really enjoyed creating contingencies and trying to prod people along the main path I'd created when they'd fixate on tiny things that I'd just put in for flavour.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I never powergame

I find it kinda boring and I'd rather play an interesting character with flaws than Supercool Perfectman

Then you would love Hero; every character is designed with Complications such as being hunted by someone/an organization, having a distinctive feature (which may or may not illicit strong reactions), fears, etc. It really adds a fun layer to your character's backstory, as you can incorporate said backstory into these Complications and give them chances to actually come up and impede you in the campaign.

Hero also lets you make basically any kind of campaign and character, too. We've done classic fantasy, sci-fi, modern day, zombie apocalypse, vikings, and are currently doing one set in "Fantasy Asia" (which is basically Avatar/Legend of Korra).

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    a bear is easily worth 50 thousand snot-nosed children, if not more

Is there a store where I can make that exchange

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I like Call of Cthulhu because you basically can't power game at all.

Your stats are what you roll, you don't get to allocate them, whatever you get you get and then you try to scrape something together out of that.

Arguably the only way to make yourself stronger would be to learn spells and stuff, good luck with your sanity though.

And odds are your character will be dead next session anyway.

Something like D&D though? I will definitely take some time to make sure my character is mechanically pretty good (and interesting) because odds are I am going to spend a lot of time in combat and other situations where the numbers of your character play a large role in success or failure and being a dead weight isn't exactly fun.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Reminder:

Assassin's Creed 4 is in Redbox for 360 and PS3

Battlefield 4 is in for PS3

WWE2K14 is in for 360 and PS3

6F32U1X.png
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Couldn't you have asked the bear first? Cast a spell to make there bear speak so you can ask it to sacrifice its self to save the poor lil children.

why not just kill the hag

are hags too tough

FqmsaJ6.png
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    tsplitter wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

why not just kill the hag

are hags too tough

If I remember correctly, hags are incredibly tough. And magicky. And mean.

Since I'm not getting a PS4 until next year, I'm real glad the current console versions of AC4 look totally fine

PS launch week of PS4 Target is doing Buy 2 PS4 Games, Get 1 Free

6F32U1X.png
    I just wish there were 3 ps4 games I wanted to buy. I ended up cancelling my preorder because there really wasn't even one that was actually exclusive.

sounds like to me the "buy assassin's creed + battlefield and end up with knack" deal

6F32U1X.png
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was gonna wait on split-gen stuff until I get a PS4.
    But it looks like differences between PS3 & PS4 Black Flag are pretty much just cosmetic, which probably means I'm getting it much sooner.

I thought this was actually a good kotaku article:
    http://kotaku.com/the-ps4-launch-minus-the-hype-1450976276

If you strip out cross-gen/PC games, 'launch window games' and ports of PS3 games, the exclusive lineup is basically Knack, Killzone, and Resogun. As someone with a good gaming PC, there's just not much to make me run out and get a PS4 right away.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    At this point I'm far more likely to buy a WiiU than a PS4 or Xbone

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    I'd be more likely to buy Wii U too

FOR A BABY

jk 3D World looks great, if I was into Pikmin or Smash too I'd be considering one

• tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    I thought this was actually a good kotaku article:
    http://kotaku.com/the-ps4-launch-minus-the-hype-1450976276
    If you strip out cross-gen/PC games, 'launch window games' and ports of PS3 games, the exclusive lineup is basically Knack, Killzone, and Resogun. As someone with a good gaming PC, there's just not much to make me run out and get a PS4 right away.

yeah for about the same price as a PS4, i could just upgrade my PC, and neither console has any exclusives that I would want.

FqmsaJ6.png
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Yeah. Now that I'm upgrading my PC, I'm in a position where, for the first time since the Atari 2600, I'm not really interested in getting a console.

It's a bewildering feeling.

Scudo wrote: »
    jk 3D World looks great, if I was into Pikmin or Smash too I'd be considering one

I've also never owned a Wii, and there are enough games on there I'd want to go back and play

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Ceno wrote: »
    Yeah. Now that I'm upgrading my PC, I'm in a position where, for the first time since the Atari 2600, I'm not really interested in getting a console.

Yeah I'm not getting either console at launch (or even maybe a year into it), but the reason if I ever get a system it will be a ps4 is the price point and the indie scene. I don't really care about the big games at this point.

the only only only only reason i would consider an XBONE is because I will have a 4 year old at that point and he might dig the kinect stuff

edited October 2013
    2014 will really be the time when the games start hitting

Early next year we'll be getting InFamous, Destiny, Titanfall, and Watch Dogs

Sometime next year we can expect Dragon Age 3, Transistor, The Division, The Witcher 3, and maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Final Fantasy 15?

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
    Langly wrote: »
    the only only only only reason i would consider an XBONE is because I will have a 4 year old at that point and he might dig the kinect stuff

I cook dinner almost every night and honestly the idea of voice controlled netflix while my hands have chicken guts on em is ALMOST enough

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

Agreed and sames

Having said that, I'm interested to try out the controllers to see which one I like more for plugging into my PC

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    My PC is just a video card upgrade away from being pretty slick again, and the 770 just went on sale...but my gut says to hold out for the next crop of Nvidia/AMD cards, since those will probably have a better shot at running PC ports at high settings over the next couple of years. I know the most impressive looking game going on at X1/PS4 launch is Battlefield 4 and a 770 would handle that fine, but I'm thinking of the stuff that come out 2 years from now with inflated system requirements.

• HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    Rorie: "My birthday is the day after the Beta."
    Vinny & Ian: "Oh, happy early birthday!"
    Rorie: "I'm anti-beta. BLECH"

Rorie: "My birthday is the day after the Beta."
    Vinny & Ian: "Oh, happy early birthday!"
    Rorie: "I'm anti-beta. BLECH"

Matt "I don't understand how conversations work" Rorie

This discussion has been closed.