As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GIANT BOMB Has Been Rated

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Why did I ever return DMC

Such a good game

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    i think i need to back out of this conversation because i'm not sure how to make you understand

one day i guess

• seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I think the only givens for their top 10 are Gone Home, Saints Row 4, and Gunpoint

Everything else is up for grabs

pokeyman

edit more seriously: bioshock
    Mario, you guys.

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Yeah if GTA5 isn't their GOTY, it's gonna be Bioshock. Those are the only two games all of them liked this year.

only because they won't play last of us

Do you really blame them

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    I guess it just doesn't bother me too much. To my knowledge the kid didn't go out a week later and shoot someone, so my conscience is clear.

how about when he played the online, heard an n-bomb and decided that was an ok thing to say

ugh

I don't see how I enabled him to do this any more than I enabled him to shoot someone

If his parents are even halfway decent, the "words you shouldn't say" list was covered a long time ago

And if it wasn't, that's not on me

I guess it just doesn't bother me too much. To my knowledge the kid didn't go out a week later and shoot someone, so my conscience is clear.

how about when he played the online, heard an n-bomb and decided that was an ok thing to say

ugh

I don't see how I enabled him to do this any more than I enabled him to shoot someone

If his parents are even halfway decent, the "words you shouldn't say" list was covered a long time ago

It is on you

It is on you because the box says "Do not sell this to minors, it has been deemed inappropriate for them" and you ignored it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Online interactions are not rated by the ESRB!

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    subverting guidelines that are put in place to keep that kind of stuff out of the hands of young kids just because you're upset about a line is just so gross i can't even fathom doing it

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Oh my god this Abstergo stuff in Black Flag is fucking incredible

CYpGAPn.png

ugh

It is on you

It is on you because the box says "Do not sell this to minors, it has been deemed inappropriate for them" and you ignored it

I disagree.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    If the parent were physically there or I was able to reach them on phone and they said they wanted the kid to have the game, then and only then would I let the transaction happen. Otherwise fuck it, get out of the line kid, you're holding everybody else up.

TheStig wrote: »

There are a ton of slurs in the actual game itself

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    i don't understand how telling the kid "you're not 17 and you don't have anyone with you who is, NEXT" is more time-consuming than going through an entire transaction

6F32U1X.png
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Throw children into the jungle of the internet as the ancient Spartans practiced

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    t4ct you're reacting way more strongly to this than I think is reasonable

if the kids parents actually give a shit then, when they find out he is playing the latest gay hating racist murder simulator, they'll correct the problem

I think its ridiculous to fault a register drone for not wanting to deal with the potential bullshit from a 14 year old kid (and many dozens of other customers) on the most hellish retail day of the year

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg

then use your own fucking judgement knowing what that community entails to know that hey this game is ALREADY RATED M maybe i shouldn't bend the rule just because i displeased with the amount of customers i have to deal with at my job

subverting guidelines that are put in place to keep that kind of stuff out of the hands of young kids just because you're upset about a line is just so gross i can't even fathom doing it

It wasn't just because I didn't like the line. Like I said, I was playing Halo at his age, and it didn't negatively affect me. I turned out pretty okay!

I guess I'm just less strict about the ESRB than you are. I feel like with proper guidance from parents those sorts of guidelines become more unnecessary. And since I don't have the time to properly assess the status of his upbringing, I'm going to err on the side of "sure kid, whatever"

ugh

It is on you

I disagree.

Do you disagree that children are impressionable and copy things they observe

Because maybe the problem here is you just don't understand children

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I'd wink and remove the theft tag and let them be on their way until they notice I only let them walk out with the display copy.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited October 2013
    If you don't understand that age limits are there for a reason and are too lazy to enforce that policy, maybe you shouldn't be working in a position where you're selling products that have age limits

Sweeney Tom on
    Alright, clearly I'm the chum for some sort of feeding frenzy or something, so I think I'll just step out and come back when we're talking about Persona or something.

edited October 2013

then use your own fucking judgement knowing what that community entails to know that hey this game is ALREADY RATED M maybe i shouldn't bend the rule just because i displeased with the amount of customers i have to deal with at my job

It's a mature audience, the online community will be more civil.

TheStig on
    Frankly I'm not even sure adults should be exposed to the call of duty online community

Nintendo had it right all along and we called them fools

PNk1Ml4.png
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    MrDapper wrote: »
    I will actually be disappointed if Giant Bomb has it as their GOTY. I know that's petty.

Pretty much everyone's impressions on it seem to vary from "it's alright" to "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Here's what I think is gonna happen

Jeff: GTA5, runner-ups Bioshock and Saints Row
    Vinny: Saints Row, runner-up GTA5
    Brad: GTA5, runner-ups Brothers and DmC
    Patrick: Bioshock, runner-up GTA5
    Drew: Last of Us possibly? Don't know about runner-ups

It's there enough that they can probably reach a consensus that it's GOTY.

listening to brad on the bombcast there's no way gta is going to be his goty

Yeah, I just had to get up and walk for a bit and I thought oh no man, that's right, Dota 2 is Brad's GOTY.

sig.gif

It wasn't just because I didn't like the line. Like I said, I was playing Halo at his age, and it didn't negatively affect me. I turned out pretty okay!

I guess I'm just less strict about the ESRB than you are. I feel like with proper guidance from parents those sorts of guidelines become more unnecessary. And since I don't have the time to properly assess the status of his upbringing, I'm going to err on the side of "sure kid, whatever"

This is bad

This is how kids get ahold of cigarettes and booze way before they are ready, because a clerk says "eh it's probably fine"

There's a reason those guidelines and laws exist and it is not up to the will of the store clerk to disregard those, not because he knows the kid and thinks he's mature, but because "meh it will probably be fine"

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I will actually be disappointed if Giant Bomb has it as their GOTY. I know that's petty.

Pretty much everyone's impressions on it seem to vary from "it's alright" to "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Yeah, I just had to get up and walk for a bit and I thought oh no man, that's right, Dota 2 is Brad's GOTY.

Dota will be disqualified the same way Minecraft was disqualified

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    The only input I have regarding this is, as a parent, I would be super pissed if someone sold my kid something she wasn't old enough for without my personal and explicit approval. I think the ESRB is a great system and not enough parents pay attention to it, and I have every intention of being involved and knowledgeable about what my kid is watching/playing.

She's almost 2 at the moment, though, so I have a while before she can actually buy anything anyway.

Ceno on
    Official PS4 Launch Lineup:
    Angry Bird Star Wars
    Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
    Battlefield 4
    Call of Duty: Ghosts
    Contrast
    FIFA 14
    Flower
    Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
    Just Dance 2014
    Killzone: Shadow Fall
    Knack
    Lego Marvel Super Heroes
    Madden NFL 25
    NBA 2K14
    Pinball Arcade
    Resogun
    Sound Shapes

yikes?

6F32U1X.png

Dota will be disqualified the same way Minecraft was disqualified

He's still gonna put it in his personal top 10, at #1, guaranteed. That has no bearing on the overall stuff and I highly doubt he'll even fight for it (considering Brad has been vocally way into a bunch of other games this year, too).

sig.gif
    Well at least it has Black Flag, I'll trust anything Abstergo makes after their modern classic, Liberation

PNk1Ml4.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Frankly I'm not even sure adults should be exposed to the call of duty online community

Nintendo had it right all along and we called them fools

Nintendo now has Miiverse
    BURyqCkCAAEcuzl.jpg:large

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    Official PS4 Launch Lineup:
    Angry Bird Star Wars
    Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
    Battlefield 4
    Call of Duty: Ghosts
    Contrast
    FIFA 14
    Flower
    Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
    Just Dance 2014
    Killzone: Shadow Fall
    Knack
    Lego Marvel Super Heroes
    Madden NFL 25
    NBA 2K14
    Pinball Arcade
    Resogun
    Sound Shapes

yikes?

Well it's all expected stuff. They have the exclusive family-friendly game and the exclusive shooter to show off as "get this instead of the other thing", and all the expected third-party things. What's hte problem here?

sig.gif
    edited October 2013
    Additionally, some more details have come out about the PS4's limitations

- All games will need to be cached to the hard drive, though discs will still be required for play
    - There will be no external hard drive/memory stick support, though you can still swap out the internal hard drive as before
    - The PS4 has no DLNA support, meaning you can no longer access a PC's media server through the PS4
    - No more dynamic themes, and no more MP3 support
    - You will need to connect online at least once to activate DVD and Blu-Ray playback, but if you are unable to you can request an activation disk
    - Streaming and Sharing do not require a Playstation Plus account, but developers can block parts of their games from being shared at their discretion

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
    GOTY stuff seems like it's literally up for grabs at this point. All of them have liked/disliked different things. There isn't one game that they've all been losing their minds over. I just hope that the deliberations aren't underwhelming or boring as a result. I like a good battle.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    NBA 2K14 is looking really good on nextgen though. The PC version appears to be a port of the lastgen stuff.

More seriously, it doesn't have much in the way of exclusives, but it does have a solid line-up of everything that sells.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    Enemy Within is GOTY. Dunno why this is even in question.

Oh yeah I forgot about Mario, which seems likely to take at least Patrick's top spot at this point.

sig.gif
    Enemy Within is GOTY. Dunno why this is even in question.

Which I would agree with immediately and unquestionably if it weren't DLC for me, since I got the PC version. I am a prisoner of my own need to categorize things properly. I have an extensive color-coded GOTY spreadsheet in progress even now.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular

You aren't that kid's parent.

It's not your decision to make.

So if you don't have one of his parents there saying it's okay, it's not cool to just assume it is.

IKknkhU.gif
    M77zqBK.png
    1 year of music unlimited = $60 ($42 for PS+ members)

boooooo

This discussion has been closed.