Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

GIANT BOMB Has Been Rated

1457910100

Posts

  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Why did I ever return DMC

    Such a good game

    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    i think i need to back out of this conversation because i'm not sure how to make you understand

    one day i guess

    my twitter | beats music
    I made a bad game! Download it scrubs.
    Keep it Up!: iOS Android
    ChincymcchillaJayKaos
  • seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I think the only givens for their top 10 are Gone Home, Saints Row 4, and Gunpoint

    Everything else is up for grabs

    pokeyman

    edit more seriously: bioshock
    Mario, you guys.

    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    Yeah if GTA5 isn't their GOTY, it's gonna be Bioshock. Those are the only two games all of them liked this year.

    only because they won't play last of us

    Do you really blame them

    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts KABOOM Splooooosh...Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    I guess it just doesn't bother me too much. To my knowledge the kid didn't go out a week later and shoot someone, so my conscience is clear.

    how about when he played the online, heard an n-bomb and decided that was an ok thing to say

    like

    ugh

    I don't see how I enabled him to do this any more than I enabled him to shoot someone

    If his parents are even halfway decent, the "words you shouldn't say" list was covered a long time ago

    And if it wasn't, that's not on me

  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    I guess it just doesn't bother me too much. To my knowledge the kid didn't go out a week later and shoot someone, so my conscience is clear.

    how about when he played the online, heard an n-bomb and decided that was an ok thing to say

    like

    ugh

    I don't see how I enabled him to do this any more than I enabled him to shoot someone

    If his parents are even halfway decent, the "words you shouldn't say" list was covered a long time ago

    And if it wasn't, that's not on me

    It is on you

    It is on you because the box says "Do not sell this to minors, it has been deemed inappropriate for them" and you ignored it

    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    T4CTStiltsWeedLordVegetaSkyEyeYaYaErin The Red
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Online interactions are not rated by the ESRB!

    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    SirEtchwarts
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    subverting guidelines that are put in place to keep that kind of stuff out of the hands of young kids just because you're upset about a line is just so gross i can't even fathom doing it

    my twitter | beats music
    I made a bad game! Download it scrubs.
    Keep it Up!: iOS Android
    Chincymcchilla
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla KOOKABUNGA LIVES Registered User regular
    Oh my god this Abstergo stuff in Black Flag is fucking incredible

    All Along The Watchtower: A DCAU Podcast.

    HEY! I sell the digital codes from my comics every week! 1.75 a pop! PM me if you wanna know what's available!
    -TalOne Thousand Cables
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts KABOOM Splooooosh...Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    I guess it just doesn't bother me too much. To my knowledge the kid didn't go out a week later and shoot someone, so my conscience is clear.

    how about when he played the online, heard an n-bomb and decided that was an ok thing to say

    like

    ugh

    I don't see how I enabled him to do this any more than I enabled him to shoot someone

    If his parents are even halfway decent, the "words you shouldn't say" list was covered a long time ago

    And if it wasn't, that's not on me

    It is on you

    It is on you because the box says "Do not sell this to minors, it has been deemed inappropriate for them" and you ignored it

    I disagree.

  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    If the parent were physically there or I was able to reach them on phone and they said they wanted the kid to have the game, then and only then would I let the transaction happen. Otherwise fuck it, get out of the line kid, you're holding everybody else up.

    Gatsby
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Online interactions are not rated by the ESRB!

    There are a ton of slurs in the actual game itself

    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    i don't understand how telling the kid "you're not 17 and you don't have anyone with you who is, NEXT" is more time-consuming than going through an entire transaction

    6F32U1X.png
    ChincymcchillaGatsbyStiltsAntimatterWeedLordVegetaSkyEye
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Throw children into the jungle of the internet as the ancient Spartans practiced

    -Tal on
    2vue7ao.png
    TheStigPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANNeoToma
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    t4ct you're reacting way more strongly to this than I think is reasonable

    if the kids parents actually give a shit then, when they find out he is playing the latest gay hating racist murder simulator, they'll correct the problem

    I think its ridiculous to fault a register drone for not wanting to deal with the potential bullshit from a 14 year old kid (and many dozens of other customers) on the most hellish retail day of the year

    Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
    SirEtchwarts
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Online interactions are not rated by the ESRB!

    then use your own fucking judgement knowing what that community entails to know that hey this game is ALREADY RATED M maybe i shouldn't bend the rule just because i displeased with the amount of customers i have to deal with at my job

    my twitter | beats music
    I made a bad game! Download it scrubs.
    Keep it Up!: iOS Android
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts KABOOM Splooooosh...Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    subverting guidelines that are put in place to keep that kind of stuff out of the hands of young kids just because you're upset about a line is just so gross i can't even fathom doing it

    It wasn't just because I didn't like the line. Like I said, I was playing Halo at his age, and it didn't negatively affect me. I turned out pretty okay!

    I guess I'm just less strict about the ESRB than you are. I feel like with proper guidance from parents those sorts of guidelines become more unnecessary. And since I don't have the time to properly assess the status of his upbringing, I'm going to err on the side of "sure kid, whatever"

  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    I guess it just doesn't bother me too much. To my knowledge the kid didn't go out a week later and shoot someone, so my conscience is clear.

    how about when he played the online, heard an n-bomb and decided that was an ok thing to say

    like

    ugh

    I don't see how I enabled him to do this any more than I enabled him to shoot someone

    If his parents are even halfway decent, the "words you shouldn't say" list was covered a long time ago

    And if it wasn't, that's not on me

    It is on you

    It is on you because the box says "Do not sell this to minors, it has been deemed inappropriate for them" and you ignored it

    I disagree.

    Do you disagree that children are impressionable and copy things they observe

    Because maybe the problem here is you just don't understand children

    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier No FearRegistered User regular
    I'd wink and remove the theft tag and let them be on their way until they notice I only let them walk out with the display copy.

    qnu0EMk.png
    Maximum
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    If you don't understand that age limits are there for a reason and are too lazy to enforce that policy, maybe you shouldn't be working in a position where you're selling products that have age limits

    Sweeney Tom on
    ChincymcchillaGatsbyT4CTWeedLordVegetaYaYa
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts KABOOM Splooooosh...Registered User regular
    Alright, clearly I'm the chum for some sort of feeding frenzy or something, so I think I'll just step out and come back when we're talking about Persona or something.

  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    T4CT wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Online interactions are not rated by the ESRB!

    then use your own fucking judgement knowing what that community entails to know that hey this game is ALREADY RATED M maybe i shouldn't bend the rule just because i displeased with the amount of customers i have to deal with at my job

    It's a mature audience, the online community will be more civil.

    TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Frankly I'm not even sure adults should be exposed to the call of duty online community

    Nintendo had it right all along and we called them fools

    2vue7ao.png
    T4CTAntimattergtrmpShenNeoToma
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    MrDapper wrote: »
    I will actually be disappointed if Giant Bomb has it as their GOTY. I know that's petty.

    Pretty much everyone's impressions on it seem to vary from "it's alright" to "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

    Here's what I think is gonna happen

    Jeff: GTA5, runner-ups Bioshock and Saints Row
    Vinny: Saints Row, runner-up GTA5
    Brad: GTA5, runner-ups Brothers and DmC
    Patrick: Bioshock, runner-up GTA5
    Drew: Last of Us possibly? Don't know about runner-ups

    It's there enough that they can probably reach a consensus that it's GOTY.

    listening to brad on the bombcast there's no way gta is going to be his goty

    Yeah, I just had to get up and walk for a bit and I thought oh no man, that's right, Dota 2 is Brad's GOTY.

    sig.gif
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    subverting guidelines that are put in place to keep that kind of stuff out of the hands of young kids just because you're upset about a line is just so gross i can't even fathom doing it

    It wasn't just because I didn't like the line. Like I said, I was playing Halo at his age, and it didn't negatively affect me. I turned out pretty okay!

    I guess I'm just less strict about the ESRB than you are. I feel like with proper guidance from parents those sorts of guidelines become more unnecessary. And since I don't have the time to properly assess the status of his upbringing, I'm going to err on the side of "sure kid, whatever"

    This is bad

    This is how kids get ahold of cigarettes and booze way before they are ready, because a clerk says "eh it's probably fine"

    There's a reason those guidelines and laws exist and it is not up to the will of the store clerk to disregard those, not because he knows the kid and thinks he's mature, but because "meh it will probably be fine"

    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    T4CT
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Zay wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    MrDapper wrote: »
    I will actually be disappointed if Giant Bomb has it as their GOTY. I know that's petty.

    Pretty much everyone's impressions on it seem to vary from "it's alright" to "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

    Here's what I think is gonna happen

    Jeff: GTA5, runner-ups Bioshock and Saints Row
    Vinny: Saints Row, runner-up GTA5
    Brad: GTA5, runner-ups Brothers and DmC
    Patrick: Bioshock, runner-up GTA5
    Drew: Last of Us possibly? Don't know about runner-ups

    It's there enough that they can probably reach a consensus that it's GOTY.

    listening to brad on the bombcast there's no way gta is going to be his goty

    Yeah, I just had to get up and walk for a bit and I thought oh no man, that's right, Dota 2 is Brad's GOTY.

    Dota will be disqualified the same way Minecraft was disqualified

    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    The only input I have regarding this is, as a parent, I would be super pissed if someone sold my kid something she wasn't old enough for without my personal and explicit approval. I think the ESRB is a great system and not enough parents pay attention to it, and I have every intention of being involved and knowledgeable about what my kid is watching/playing.

    She's almost 2 at the moment, though, so I have a while before she can actually buy anything anyway.

    Ceno on
    TheStigChincymcchillaGatsbyT4CTAntimatterWeedLordVegeta
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Official PS4 Launch Lineup:
    Angry Bird Star Wars
    Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
    Battlefield 4
    Call of Duty: Ghosts
    Contrast
    FIFA 14
    Flower
    Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
    Just Dance 2014
    Killzone: Shadow Fall
    Knack
    Lego Marvel Super Heroes
    Madden NFL 25
    NBA 2K14
    Pinball Arcade
    Resogun
    Sound Shapes

    yikes?

    6F32U1X.png
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Zay wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    MrDapper wrote: »
    I will actually be disappointed if Giant Bomb has it as their GOTY. I know that's petty.

    Pretty much everyone's impressions on it seem to vary from "it's alright" to "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

    Here's what I think is gonna happen

    Jeff: GTA5, runner-ups Bioshock and Saints Row
    Vinny: Saints Row, runner-up GTA5
    Brad: GTA5, runner-ups Brothers and DmC
    Patrick: Bioshock, runner-up GTA5
    Drew: Last of Us possibly? Don't know about runner-ups

    It's there enough that they can probably reach a consensus that it's GOTY.

    listening to brad on the bombcast there's no way gta is going to be his goty

    Yeah, I just had to get up and walk for a bit and I thought oh no man, that's right, Dota 2 is Brad's GOTY.

    Dota will be disqualified the same way Minecraft was disqualified

    He's still gonna put it in his personal top 10, at #1, guaranteed. That has no bearing on the overall stuff and I highly doubt he'll even fight for it (considering Brad has been vocally way into a bunch of other games this year, too).

    sig.gif
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Well at least it has Black Flag, I'll trust anything Abstergo makes after their modern classic, Liberation

    2vue7ao.png
    SimBenBlankzilla
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier No FearRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Frankly I'm not even sure adults should be exposed to the call of duty online community

    Nintendo had it right all along and we called them fools

    Nintendo now has Miiverse
    BURyqCkCAAEcuzl.jpg:large

    qnu0EMk.png
    SCREECH OF THE FARGNeoTomaErin The Red
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Official PS4 Launch Lineup:
    Angry Bird Star Wars
    Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
    Battlefield 4
    Call of Duty: Ghosts
    Contrast
    FIFA 14
    Flower
    Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
    Just Dance 2014
    Killzone: Shadow Fall
    Knack
    Lego Marvel Super Heroes
    Madden NFL 25
    NBA 2K14
    Pinball Arcade
    Resogun
    Sound Shapes

    yikes?

    Well it's all expected stuff. They have the exclusive family-friendly game and the exclusive shooter to show off as "get this instead of the other thing", and all the expected third-party things. What's hte problem here?

    sig.gif
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Additionally, some more details have come out about the PS4's limitations

    - All games will need to be cached to the hard drive, though discs will still be required for play
    - There will be no external hard drive/memory stick support, though you can still swap out the internal hard drive as before
    - The PS4 has no DLNA support, meaning you can no longer access a PC's media server through the PS4
    - No more dynamic themes, and no more MP3 support
    - You will need to connect online at least once to activate DVD and Blu-Ray playback, but if you are unable to you can request an activation disk
    - Streaming and Sharing do not require a Playstation Plus account, but developers can block parts of their games from being shared at their discretion

    Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    GOTY stuff seems like it's literally up for grabs at this point. All of them have liked/disliked different things. There isn't one game that they've all been losing their minds over. I just hope that the deliberations aren't underwhelming or boring as a result. I like a good battle.

  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    NBA 2K14 is looking really good on nextgen though. The PC version appears to be a port of the lastgen stuff.

    More seriously, it doesn't have much in the way of exclusives, but it does have a solid line-up of everything that sells.

    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    PwnanObrien
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Enemy Within is GOTY. Dunno why this is even in question.

    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    GatsbyBeef AvengerAntimatterMedium DaveShen
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    Oh yeah I forgot about Mario, which seems likely to take at least Patrick's top spot at this point.

    sig.gif
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Enemy Within is GOTY. Dunno why this is even in question.

    Which I would agree with immediately and unquestionably if it weren't DLC for me, since I got the PC version. I am a prisoner of my own need to categorize things properly. I have an extensive color-coded GOTY spreadsheet in progress even now.

  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    subverting guidelines that are put in place to keep that kind of stuff out of the hands of young kids just because you're upset about a line is just so gross i can't even fathom doing it

    It wasn't just because I didn't like the line. Like I said, I was playing Halo at his age, and it didn't negatively affect me. I turned out pretty okay!

    I guess I'm just less strict about the ESRB than you are. I feel like with proper guidance from parents those sorts of guidelines become more unnecessary. And since I don't have the time to properly assess the status of his upbringing, I'm going to err on the side of "sure kid, whatever"

    You aren't that kid's parent.

    It's not your decision to make.

    So if you don't have one of his parents there saying it's okay, it's not cool to just assume it is.

    IKknkhU.gif
    ChincymcchillaT4CT
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    M77zqBK.png
    1 year of music unlimited = $60 ($42 for PS+ members)

    boooooo

    Uriel
This discussion has been closed.