As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Searchers [Chat]

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    like it literally means the east.
    I thought it doesn't translate literally toe east, not just "the place east of where we are now", but the whole area ranging from the Turkey to Japan. Not racist or anything, just kind of an archaic way to refer to a place.

It translates literally to "the east". Occident is the antonym, which translates literally to "the west."

And yeah, that's the point. They're fun archaic terms. Thinking that oh it's archaic it must be offensive is bollocks.

The term has been used with racist intent, though. Kind of on the same level with calling half the world "Indian" I think.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

And "negro" literally means black. You still shouldn't go around calling black people that, because context is important.

yeah, not the same thing. The context doesn't make being offended by "the orient" - not being called "an oriental" even, just "the orient" - not silly as fuck.

I wasn't under the impression that they were the same thing. You just shouldn't focus solely on the literal meaning of a term when there are broader implications to it.
    Yeah, and generally, I agree with you. I'm just saying, in this case, what implications?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

And "negro" literally means black. You still shouldn't go around calling black people that, because context is important.

yeah, not the same thing. The context doesn't make being offended by "the orient" - not being called "an oriental" even, just "the orient" - not silly as fuck.

I wasn't under the impression that they were the same thing. You just shouldn't focus solely on the literal meaning of a term when there are broader implications to it.
    Yeah, and generally, I agree with you. I'm just saying, in this case, what implications?

Not a big reader of Said, I take it

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    You don't call people oriental because of a history of racism attached to that term.

Just like you don't call people negroes because of a history of racism attached to that term.

It only doesn't make sense if you're a robot who doesn't understand other people have feelings about things.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    FIDUSPAWNFIDUSPAWN Registered User regular
    That true.

• Options
    FIDUSPAWN wrote: »
    Yeah I don't get why saying oriental is consider wrong even though I am part Asian myself.

Historically the word has not been used to mean "eastern". It's been used for hundreds of years now to otherise whatever "foreign" group the privileged have been fixated on the time. "The far east" didn't start to become "the orient" in English until the mid-1800's. Before that the term was mostly used to refer to basically anywhere brown people lived, including most of North Africa.

No, this is just plain wrong.

It's never been used to refer to africa. Also, the far east was the far orient.

The orient express just went to turkey, the near orient. The old latin use of it was of course centered on the Mediterranean, so orient way back when referred to things east of the meditteranean.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    wait Minecon?

really?

• Options
    The Razor's EdgeThe Razor's Edge Simple, but effective Ain't nothing fancyRegistered User regular

Like I explained before, the fact that "the orient" has historically been used, usually completely arbitrarily, to refer to anything from Marrakech to Jerusalem to Istanbul to Beijing, usually coinciding with a widespread othering of the people from those places.

• Options
    The Razor's EdgeThe Razor's Edge Simple, but effective Ain't nothing fancyRegistered User regular
    Yeah I don't get why saying oriental is consider wrong even though I am part Asian myself.

Historically the word has not been used to mean "eastern". It's been used for hundreds of years now to otherise whatever "foreign" group the privileged have been fixated on the time. "The far east" didn't start to become "the orient" in English until the mid-1800's. Before that the term was mostly used to refer to basically anywhere brown people lived, including most of North Africa.

It's never been used to refer to africa.

You are misinformed.

• Options
    Just thought I could for being part Asian myself but I can understand if I can't say that as well.

• Options
    I thought it doesn't translate literally toe east, not just "the place east of where we are now", but the whole area ranging from the Turkey to Japan. Not racist or anything, just kind of an archaic way to refer to a place.

It translates literally to "the east". Occident is the antonym, which translates literally to "the west."

And yeah, that's the point. They're fun archaic terms. Thinking that oh it's archaic it must be offensive is bollocks.

The term has been used with racist intent, though. Kind of on the same level with calling half the world "Indian" I think.

"oriental" is maybe an iffy thing to call someone, yeah. It has just the same meaning as "asian", but the implications are there.

That those implications somehow stretch to "the orient" is something I reject

and that "orient" was just some way of saying lol foreignstan - it most certainly was not. It had a very specific geographical meaning.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

You are misinformed.

Uh-huh. When was it used like that? Where?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    wait Minecon?

really?

I think that's been a thing for a few years.

....I don't understand it either.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

"oriental" is maybe an iffy thing to call someone, yeah. It has just the same meaning as "asian", but the implications are there.

and that "orient" was just some way of saying lol foreignstan - it most certainly was not. It had a very specific geographical meaning.

calling a quarter of the globe "specific" is a bit of a stretch

• Options
    edited November 2013

I'm pretty sure the last time it had a "very specific" meaning was when it was the name of a Roman prefecture. Its meaning has changed numerous times throughout history and has almost always been rather nebulous.

The Razor's Edge on
  • Options
    I'm not aware of there being any problem with calling asia "the orient", though.

And it's still acceptable to refer to objects as "oriental"

Just not people

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Just thought I could for being part Asian myself but I can understand if I can't say that as well.
    I would err on the side of caution on the larger internets, unless it is obvious you're being funny/ironic/are referring to the history of the word. I mean, it's a silly reason to get people mad at you.

• Options

You are misinformed.

Uh-huh. When was it used like that? Where?
    Originally the term referred to Egypt, the Levant, and adjoining areas.[2] Later the term became synonymous with Islam and Judaism and its scope expanded both eastward and westward to include all non-European areas of Eurasian civilization, including North Africa as far west as Morocco.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Chanus wrote: »

calling a quarter of the globe "specific" is a bit of a stretch

No it isn't. "northern hemisphere" has a even clearer and more specific meaning, yet, it refers to half the globe.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I would err on the side of caution on the larger internets, unless it is obvious you're being funny/ironic/are referring to the history of the word. I mean, it's a silly reason to get people mad at you.

Alright.

• Options
    I stand corrected, then.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Oh, bollocks. Now is a great time to tell me that you're in another city and can't work tonight.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    we have an irishman at hulen!

or, well, irishwoman. Man gaelic names are such sexy combinations of letters.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    qhmHIBBdNmMjh1SQG6LMKAy3aNcHxX-U4_vutOvOyIwQ

Mice embryo, nerves thereof

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I understand since I am part Irish too.

• Options
    I've always been fond of Siobhán, if I ever have a daughter.

"Siobhán Bear Surname".

• Options
    are your parts like, "I'm one 64th cherokee" or what? :P

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

"Siobhán Bear Surname".

@shivahn

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I'm also very fond of Irina, though. As in Ири́на, so long "ee" sounds. It means "Peace", which I think is lovely.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Guys, guys! My favorite time of year is coming up. No, not Thanksgiving or Christmas. I'm talking about the Miss Universe costumes of the world pageant.

How will Miss America top her jingoistic costume from last year?

usa.jpg

And can anything beat Pirate Bahamas?

bahamas.jpg

Only about a week more to find out!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    There's an awesome burger joint in Edinburgh that is the best and I love it, but Girl Raven hates it because it's way too cool for her or something. Her buddy just arrived and I was hoping she'd be the swing vote in how great this burger place is, but alas. Vegetarian. :'<

So! Vegetarian girl was intrigued... We went there, turns out they have vegetarian and low carb options. She combined them to awesome effect, getting a slice of grilled haloumi amid a tasty salad. Other Raven is kinda annoyed she didn't notice these options.

I got a bacon cheezberg with fries n the best vanilla shake

Such heaven

So tasty

Wooooow

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    are your parts like, "I'm one 64th cherokee" or what? :P

Well I am one 16th Norwegian.

• Options
    I have a very interesting and storied genealogy, but that's kind of personal information.

• Options
    I have to identified as Mixed ancestry since it the honest truth.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

"Siobhán Bear Surname".

shivahn

I was extremely surprised to scroll past an image of a mouse embryo's PNS and find that that wasn't what I was called for :P

Also all versions of this name are excellent, yes.

• Options
    I have a very unvaried and boring genealogy

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    it can be summed up as "people didn't move around much way back when"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I have a very unvaried and boring genealogy

I see.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Supposedly my ancestry is filled with criminals and malcontents.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I cant jungle :(

This discussion has been closed.