As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Secret Satans 2013 - SE++ Edition

• Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    Yeah remember folks

Not everybody can buy a 60" flat screen and a new ps4

Homemade stuff is good too

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I think you should focus on what is best for you financially. You don't have to go overboard with your gift giving, but you should think about what else you are going to have to purchase in the next few months.

The invention of Amazon does make gifting easier in a lot of ways, but it doesn't mean that you have an obligation to participate in an activity where some people like to go a little nuts. It's easy to want to go overboard.

I think a reasonable expectation is that you will spend about $25-50 unless you are a crafty person (but then you still have shipping to consider).

But that is just my thought on the matter.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2013
    I'm more concerned about time. I might not be able to blow a lot of cash but I can afford to get something a little bit nice, probably. But I like to put some effort in, and ideally (given my low budget at the moment) I'd like to make something personalised. And I know that this next month or so is going to be insane for me. If I can't scrape up the time to create something special then a lot of the fun is gone.

tynic on
  • Options
    I think that is part of the benefit of a wishlist. It helps give you a visual of what the person likes and I think that will take a lot of pressure off of trying to be creative and personal.

It can help springboard you onto new ideas that you might not have had otherwise.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I have 2 camera lenses on my wishlist which are more than $1500 each

I don't expect anyone to buy them, but they might buy me one of those travel mugs that looks like an expensive lens, and that'd be ok too!

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    yeah, it's good to have inexpensive stuff on the wishlist.

but since it's a wishlist, no harm in putting on a few not so inexpensive things. it obliges no-one and is a handy remind of things you might buy for yourself if the money appears.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    My wishlist ranges between stuff that's $15 and easily affordable and stuff that's $200 that I don't realistically expect any participant in this gift exchange to actually buy.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Pretty much everything on my list is like $20-$40

but thats just because I'm a cheap date.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    That being said, people shouldn't feel compelled to participate if funds are tight. This is fun and all, but it's more important that you pay bills and eat. Satans will come along next year.

Marathon on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    my wishlist is a mishmosh of things not necessarily just for Satans. like, if i have confused relatives or friends who want to gift for things but don't know what i'd like.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I know a lot of the time you wanna pad out a gift with a few little things

DVDs of movies that are more than 5 or 10 years old is really good for this. 5 bucks, 10 bucks. It feels good to pack out someone's gift with 3 or 4 things from their wishlist for less than 20 bucks.

• Options
    You can also send massive amounts of candy for not much from amazon too. Last year my satan got about five pounds of skittles.

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

I don't expect anyone to buy them, but they might buy me one of those travel mugs that looks like an expensive lens, and that'd be ok too!

Yes these are great! Pipe's satan, get him one of these!

I am partial to PhotoJojo's. Not a plant. >.>

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    You can also send massive amounts of candy for not much from amazon too. Last year my satan got about five pounds of skittles.

Also, accessories for something you got them or know they already have. Buying your Satanee Munchkins? Throw in like 3 booster packs.

I always look forward to making a 'gift set' for my Satanee, but it frequently goes awry. I think my second Secret Satans was my best attempt, but now I can't remember who got the 'Zombie Apocalypse' set.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    I have a really great time being helpful for other local Satanees when their Satan was trying to deliver their gift in a fun way or get more information. It's fun being sneaky.

• Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    Who the fuck wants a boat?

Cause I just signed up

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    tugga wrote: »
    Who the fuck wants a boat?

Cause I just signed up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    they fucked on the boat

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Always the venue, never the bride

• Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    they fucked on the boat

son of a bitch

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    So I just signed up! Time to start working on a wishlist... For now, hiya Satin!

First off, I don't mind getting handmade things! Can you art good? I'd love to receive anything you make! Homemade jewelry, knitting/crochet, etc. would be super rad to receive - anything I can brag about being one of a kind would appease the hipster part of me. If it's something to hang on a wall, it'd be cool if any kind of frame that came with it was black so it'd match the rest of my room.

I'm a pretty big fashion and makeup geek. I have pale skin, blonde hair and blue eyes, so anything you think that would work well with that I would be *all over* trying out (you can check pictures in the fashion threads for help). I usually stick to dresses and leggings, or just straight up dresses, so as fun as a nerdy t-shirt would be it probably wouldn't get worn. Last time I measured myself I was a 33 waist, 38 bust and 42 hip, if that helps with sizing. I think I'm a bit bigger now, but I'm working on it... so that's probably a pretty safe average. I tend to wear L or XL depending on the brand and where I'm buying from. My style tends to be heavily influenced by vintage styles from the 40s, 50s and 60s. Anything like the dresses you can find on Stop Staring and Pin-Up Girl are just... ugh so amazing. I'm a shoe size 7.5-8.

I am also a pretty big gamer. I own a PS3, Xbox, 3DS and a gaming quality PC. I'll throw my Steam tag in my sig after so you can see what I've got, but it's a safe assumption to think I've got most of the headline games from the last couple of years. My 3DS library is kind of weak - I've only got the new Phoenix Wright, Pokemon X, Tales of the Abyss, Fire Emblem and Ocarina of Time 3D. If there's something else you think I'd adore for that system, it's probably the one that could use the most love! Otherwise, neat indie games centered around plot and character development are something my Steam account severely lacks. My favourite games of all time are Mass Effect 2 (GARRUSSSSSSSS), Ocarina of Time (because Zelda was a massive part of my childhood, I also liked Skyward Sword a bunch!) and Half-Life 2.

I really love comics, though I haven't had as much time for them lately (until getting laid off, heh). I used to LOVE Ultimate Spider-Man, and collected a few Batman trades (Long Halloween and its followups and the Killing Joke come to mind). I'm more of a Marvel girl at heart. Nightcrawler is the best X-Man.

I dig cheesy fantasy novels, but I have a bit of a backlog there with the Gentlemen Bastards sequence to read. Neil Gaiman is my absolute favourite author, so anything from him is always fabulous. I also love pretty much anything even slightly related to Film Noir. I blame this on playing the Tex Murphy games at a particularly young age. The Third Man, Chinatown and Brick are some of my favourite movies ever (yes, yes, I know the last two are technically neo-Noir).

Hmmm, what else... Oh yeah, brewing beer has been a new hobby for me that I've really embraced. I've pretty much got everything I need for a 5-Gallon brew setup, including a ton of bottles. What I don't have is the setup required to serve from the ball lock keg I picked up a month ago. Having that would really up my game, since brewing into a keg is so much easier and less time consuming than bottling. Something like this setup but with the CO2 tank would be perfect. For actual beers, I pretty much like anything neat that isn't an IPA. Ciders and beers that tend towards being more crisp, or sweet and fruity, or just plain different would be cool. I've heard sour beers are becoming the new thing in craft brewing in the US, so trying one of those could be neat (but totally not required).

I also bake a lot! And am a not-so-great-cook who would like to get better! And robots are cool! I don't know how that factors in but yeah!

Just, no NSFW things. My parents are nozy, and when I get a freaking sweet present in the mail they're going to want to know what it is. I want to be able to brag about it!

That's basically everything I could possibly think of. I think that's a lot to work with. I'm really excited to see what you get!!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular

Last year I got 5 pounds of Gummy Bears.

It was technically a single Gummy Bear, but still, 5 pounds.

• Options
    Perrsun wrote: »

I gave that to @Godmode for our first Valentine's Day

• Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »

Like the native Americans, we use every part of the gummy bear

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

hell, I could steal one from a coworker for you

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Updated the list.
    Sorry, week's been busy.

I'll try to update it tomorrow, but I'll be out of town until Monday night, so I may not update the list again until Tuesday.
    Fear not, Present Givers and Getters, I shall return.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Okay, I have no energy left from homework, it's cold out and I've already starting singing Christmas tunes in my head ... let's bust this wishlistshit out.
    Hello Great Satan! I hope you're enjoying the holiday foreplay as much as I am! The lights, the music, all of it.

I'm not sure where to start with this ... uh, interests? Besides long walks on the beach (that I don't live near), I enjoy plants, toys, games, and photography. In no particular order. Those are probably a wee bit vague though, let me elaborate:

Amazon Wishlist

Plants. Love 'em all. Gardening and cultivating too. Books? Awesome. Seeds? Great. Hell, if you feel emboldened enough to actually send me a plant start I will love it dearly. I'm serious about loving all things plants; watching David Attenborough go on at length about orchids whilst I'm drinking wine in my robe sounds like the perfect night. Is in addiction? Possibly. Is having more plants in the house than you can count hoarding? To some standards. But do plants make me happy? Hells yeah.

Maybe you're not confident in getting my something plant related, and that's alright (my parents have the same issue with "We don't know what plants you have" and to that I tell them "It didn't stop me from having doubles of at least x, y, and z"). Board games! I'm apparently into board games now! Kinda. I've had Munchkins and a few expansions for awhile, love Cards Against Humanity (and the 3 expansions), and just recently bought the first Dominion base set and Chrononauts and it's accompanying boosters. Still have the Penny Arcade deck building game ... still cellophane'd, still itching to be opened (I know!). But there's always more games out there, and if you have any input on what I should be playing, I would eagerly indulge you. Not too often though that I would have more than 4 people over, if that makes any particular games difficult.

What was next on my list ... oh yeah, toys! I'm an avid Transformers fan foremost. I have ... quite a bit. If you really wanted, I'm sure another forumer would act as proxy and ask what ones I do or do not have (I'd love any Transformer just the same, new or old). I have a few other action figures, but they don't get the shelf space that my bots do. If they're from a franchise I love, but it's pretty much houseplants and Transformers all across my desk. Also, the Kre-O minifig Transformers are the cutest things, and I would love any of those!

Which leaves Photography. I have my DSLR, and I love it. I don't have anything in the way of bags, straps, filters or what have you, and I also don't have any specific requests. But I do love the hobby, so that would also include any books (I'm trying to get in the habit of reading about and opening up my plane of understanding of influential photographers past and present). Biographies and smaller books are preferable to 'coffee table' books, because there's not a lot of room in this teeny duplex. But again, I want YOU to trust YOUR gut on this, and I will surely love whatever you pick!

E: Addendum to this: I would LOVE to be able to print/publish my work, and have no idea how to go about that. Right now I'm floating the idea of a premium SmugMug account, and would graciously apply any funds to that, but if you have any better solutions I'm all ears.

If you find something that I didn't put on my list? Great! Are you making something homemade? I'm thoroughly excited! Truth be told, I love surprises, and I know for my Satanee I'll be stalking his or her posts to dig up any inklings of gift ideas. Don't judge, that's how we did it in the old days ... Secret Satan-ing by our bootstraps and all that. If it helps, clothing wise I wear small mens shirts (unless they're already pretty small, then a medium is fine ... I'm not a stick but also not really muscular). Pants are probably not the best thing, as I'm a funky size, but if you're daring, 30x29ish, slim-ish. Lots of -ish's. So I don't expect you to buy me any clothing, but again, not picky! Besides, I can always pass off a shirt to the boyfriend ;P I was also contemplating things in the shower, and I really don't spoil myself body-wise, and like the idea of trying new skin products and things. I do request though that they're more organic and less chemical-y.

I guess that covers things, Satan. Oh wait, the Essential Digital Essentials! I have my PC, and Steam account in my sig. Might/should give you an idea of what kind of games I like? I'm always open to experimentation though. Also have a Wii and a 3DS; the latter is getting plenty of Pokemon hours recently, Wii has been long ignored. I keep it around though because I love me some classic Gamecube games, though my collection is slim. I guess that wraps up this excruciatingly long excrement of holiday wishes; much love to you Satan, I hope you get your own gifts soon if not already, and may the holidays find you surrounded by friends and loved ones!

Sincerely, Jordan aka MetroidZoid

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    Also can I just say I have always loved @Neville 's holiday sig ... it's too perfect.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Okay. I'm going to do this. After lurking for at least half a dozen years, I'm finally doing the secret satan.
    Greetings, Satan, how are you? I'm so pleased to be meeting you this way!

I'm a somewhat big guy, shirt size xl-xxl, pants size 42x32, shoe size 10.5. I think I'm pretty easy as far as clothing goes (read: no real personal style). Bright/Flashy colors are cool, but I don't do big, loud silkscreens/images. Understated logos and designs are always much cooler. I've been looking for a good hoodie and beanie cap lately, now that the occasional cold weather may start hitting Houston, but I haven't found anything yet.

I freaking love music and headphones. A whole lot. I already have lots of excellent music and some of the best headphones (and amplifiers, dacs, sources, etc.) that I can buy, but I always want more! Popular music, rare music, expensive headphone gear, cheap (but good sounding) headphone gear, I like it all. My notable favorites are from Joanna Newsom,Crystal Castles, Ratatat, Pinback, Metric, also classical and jazz and I could really go on and on. I would also be very interested in what you listen to! (Exclusions: most country and western music, gospel, R&B and Bose/Beats gear) I'm also itching to get into vinyl and turntables and such, but I'm scared to jump into another rabbit hole. I can also play several instruments, but I haven't done so recently.

Games? I both love AND play those things! I play games on PC, 3DS, Xbox 360 and WiiU. I have been completely inundated with new games lately, so there's nothing I'm dying to play right now. Any games I get will be played eventually! I would definitely enjoy gaming related stuff sooner than games themselves. Stuff like clothes, toys artwork, etc.

Oh yeah, I love artwork! I would totally dig new stuff to adorn my walls and shelves. If you're a creative Satan, the stuff you create would be even better!

I'm also into comics, movies and tv. Basically a consumer whore. Favorites here include Seven Samurai, Pacific Rim, Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz, Wolverine/X-Men, Saga, Parks and Recreation, Ghost in the Shell, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gravity Falls. Again, introducing me to cool new stuff is greatly appreciated!

Tech gadgets/toys are always a big hit. As are tasty treats!

NSFW is okay, but might not get used/displayed (prominently).
    Your Satanee
    Joel

Man of the Waves on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    dear satan:
    i am a tall dude with too much hair. shirt size is large, pant size is australian 34, shoe size is eleven, though why you'd be buying me shoes i don't know. i am from australia. this means that if you want to send me anything it will have to be capable of surviving the trip to australia, which i'm told is no longer a storm-tossed odyssey but may still be fairly long. i am twenty-three years old, if any of your gifts are specifically age-themed.

i like: history, literature, old books, new books, comic books, expensive alcohols, board games, kung fu movies, murder mysteries and crossword puzzles. i have a ps3 and a 3ds but i'm going to have to leave the former behind when i move out of the house soon, so maybe not anything for that. i'm reading more and more nonfiction lately. i'm particularly interested in medieval and early modern european history, that's what my phd research will be in, i will read anything on, set in or pertaining to those topics. i love beer, if you're american you could try sending me some of those american craft beers i've heard so much about. my favourite comic books of all time are grant morrison's batman and garth ennis' preacher, if that gives you an indication of my tastes in these matters.

i am also in the market for gifts that are completely unrelated to any of the things i mentioned. if you want to sculpt me a fish out of playdough or hand knit me a tea cozy shaped like a boob that's fine and awesome. as long as you send me something that you would be happy to receive i can't imagine i'll be at all disappointed.

happy sataning!

Crimson King on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I have composed my Wishlist. It is in my sig.

Food note: I am allergic to peanuts and peanutty things. Cottonseed oil also causes my skin to erupt with rage pustules, AKA hives.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ack! I'm on the list! Ack!

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Ack! I'm on the list! Ack!

Do you need some chocolate?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    we finished it maaaybe two months ago?

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    This will be my first year participating - pretty excited :D

Gotta work on wish list tonight

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    pooka wrote: »
    the gift that keeps on giving!

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

The beetus?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I am kinda tempted to do this but as I don't have a job I'd really just be sending people either baked stuff or... Insultingly cheap things. I'm a bit leery of sending baked goods, mainly because of the speed you'd have to send them at to ensure they stay good.

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

The beetus?

It's pronounced "christmas cheer"

This discussion has been closed.