As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Monday, November 4, 2013 - CheckPoint Season 3, Ep. 21: Attack on Titanfall

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PATV] Monday, November 4, 2013 - CheckPoint Season 3, Ep. 21: Attack on Titanfall

Miss the "good old days" of the console wars? No? Well, EA seems to.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    FulchrumFulchrum Registered User regular
    Its EA. Does anyone seriously think that Titanfall 2 won't be out for the Ps4 within 6 months of the first?

• Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    @fulchrum: Depends. How desperate is MS to have an admittedly pretty sick-looking exclusive FPS that isn's Halo? If TitanFall is good enough, MS might just buy Respawn outright- or at least try to make the TitanFall IP an MS exlcusive.

I can see that happening.

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    HazdocHazdoc Registered User new member
    Your video has some extra dead time at the end.
    Also, the title of this video is the best one yet. Good show.

• Options
    CrotonhurstCrotonhurst Registered User regular
    I think that last minute of black screen is actually just what Titanfall looks like on PS4

• Options
    FulchrumFulchrum Registered User regular
    @Metroidkillah: You act as if a) EA do not realise that Respawn is a gold mine that they are are not going to sell to anyone, and b) that the only reason that Titanfall is an exclusive is because it was negotiated as such back when Microsoft was giving EA an obscene amount of power with the always online Xbox One bs.

• Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    @Fulchrum: As far as I can tell, EA doesn't own Respawn (or the TitanFall IP)- they're only the publishers. If MS really wanted, they could throw an absurd amount of money at Respawn and EA couldn't say boo.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    @Fulchrum: As far as I can tell, EA doesn't own Respawn (or the TitanFall IP)- they're only the publishers. If MS really wanted, they could throw an absurd amount of money at Respawn and EA couldn't say boo.

Right about now, I bet Respawn's lawyers are probably going over their contracts with a fine toothed comb. Unless this goes to court (not that I suspect it will), none of us will probably ever know what those contracts look like. But I'm going to guess EA knows how to forge a document. They probably have exclusive rights to publish things Respawn makes for X period of time. Maybe a non-compete clause from the principals so they can't just leave Respawn and make a new-in-name-only company to use a different publisher.

• Options
    I'm just saying that, with enough money, MS could see to it that the TitanFall IP stays on MS platforms. There doesn't seem to be anything in the way of that, especially since, again, Respawn controls the IP, not EA.

• Options
    SiddownSiddown Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote:
    Maybe a non-compete clause from the principals so they can't just leave Respawn and make a new-in-name-only company to use a different publisher.

Yeah, because West and Zampella have a history of respecting contracts. :)

They make great games, so all the power to them, but really West and Zampella are not the greatest guys out there. But then again, look who they're juxtaposition with? EA and Activition, it's hard not to look good compared to those two.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    RE: Jonathan Ross. Now, I haven't lived there in a decade, but back in the early 2000s, he was pretty much universally hated in the UK by what you would consider the target market for gaming.

I'm trying to think of a good North American equivalent for this. Due to just differences in with television medium, "Presenters" are everywhere there and are more famous (as a group) and make up a much larger portion of their celebrity base.

Someone like Ryan Seacrest doesn't really apply in this case because Ross is "funny", so maybe a younger Jay Leno?

Siddown on
  • Options
    NecroxNecrox Registered User regular
    @Siddown Hmm. I don't know... I lived in the UK from 2003-2009 and I don't recall anyone having anything seriously bad to say about him, and he did come up in conversation occationally.
    Personally I think he's alright; I think he generally has some good points and is fairly entertaining - but in this particular case, maybe not so much. He's a self-professed mobile gamer, who is not really into the big AAA experiences but will spend hours on simpler mobile games. I'd prefer if they'd hired his wife instead, who is apparently crazy about Skyrim and the like.

Source: An IGN interview with Jonathan Ross done some months back. I can probably dig it up if anyone is interested.

• Options
    JodinsanJodinsan Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    The only thing I garnered from this video is that Titanfall is also coming to 360, which is solely based on the image just above Kathleen's shoulder and contradicts everything I have heard about the game. So... it this just an old file photo or is there some truth to this?

Must... research...
    >EDIT<
    Research complete... This is happening. I now have 0 reasons to buy an XBone for the foreseeable future.

Jodinsan on
  • Options
    SchwuuuuupSchwuuuuup Registered User new member
    Aaawww, after that extra minute of blackness at the end I expected at least a rick-roll :-(

• Options
    moosemaimermoosemaimer Registered User regular
    "My guess? Dickpunch DLC."

OH, RIGHT IN THE MEAN BEAN MACHINE!

• Options
    Don RebaDon Reba Registered User regular
    Well done, Mic-hail.

• Options
    JaybonautJaybonaut Registered User regular
    Nope - there is NO WAY they weren't aware of Titanfall being exclusive this late in development and some of the devs got in trouble on Twitter for agreeing.

My Youtube Gaming Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Energyone
  • Options
    LostAloneLostAlone Registered User regular
    @Siddown - Yeah I'd squarely place Rossie into the Jay Leno space. He's funny in a bland kinda way, just about adult enough to justify a later than primetime slot and no-one has any real strong feelings about him anymore. A few years ago he was involved in a minor scandal that our press went absolute bat shit mental over but it was really very minor. He's absolutely part of the TV establishment, despite his earlier radio days when he was actually quite out there.

I can't imagine he's going to change anything over at MS. Maybe they really think he'll help out, maybe he just asked to be involved? I mean, I've heard that he's into gaming in a casual kinda way, and he's prominent enough that a big company might just say 'Sure' when his agent calls.

Although...

I'm holding out hope that he's going to immediately go mad with power and turn into evil Peter Molyneux; creating a TV show where human beings have to remove millions of giant cubes as people at home mercilessly add more cubes through micro transactions on their phones. The twist is that in the middle there's a rubix cube with troll faces on each side that explodes when you complete it.

Ratings gold.

• Options
    @Necrox

Talking to some buddies still over in the UK, it seems that Ross improved a bit since I left and became a bit more popular.

At the time he didn't have a show, but yet was still under contract with the BBC so he was a guest on practically every other show, and did everything he could to take over.

Although, re-reading my post "hated" is too strong of a word, more "annoyed" then anything else.

I still don't get the hiring for the reason Graham stated. He is a semi-annoying, TV presenter in his 50s, what is Microsoft hoping to gain from this?

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Fulchrum wrote: »
    Its EA. Does anyone seriously think that Titanfall 2 won't be out for the Ps4 within 6 months of the first?

Coming Soon: Titanfall Sigma Black.

In other news, I just sprayed coffee all over my keyboard. FORTY DOLLARS?!!!

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Siddown wrote: »
    I still don't get the hiring for the reason Graham stated. He is a semi-annoying, TV presenter in his 50s, what is Microsoft hoping to gain from this?

Expand their demographic into a higher age bracket? Only the Wii had real success with the over 40s right? Considering how MS is positioning the XBox One as a All-In-One living room appliance, it's not a stretch to see them trying to sell it to other groups.