As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] Best console ever!* (*opinions based on facts)

19495969798100»

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »

My favorite tweet right behind the one where Kamiya asked a follower "do you eat shit?"

Mine was when he called all English speakers idiots. He became my hero the day I read that.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Truly, the most dignified send-off for the thread.

• Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    I would have loved W101 if it didn't make me tired to parse what's going on and if the "drawing" controls and silly "Gamepad is a camera showing numbers turning on the roof"-style cram-ins were removed completely. Remake it as a cross between Viewtiful Joe and Turtles in Time!

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I love W101 except when I'm doing things that isn't hitting dudes with giant weapons formed out of my dudes.

Piloting things, running around with the gamepad as a camera (which just doesn't work well, at least for me), and the other stuff it throws at you. At best that extraneous stuff is passable at worst it's tedious and not fun to control and I just don't want to do it again.

Also enemies sometimes take too long to defeat, not like I need to get better but during the fight I'm sure I'm doing awful and there's gotta be a better way to take these guys down faster and then I end up getting a platinum for time and it's just... it's supposed to take that long?

But man...
    http://youtu.be/W1Y_bGyck1E

The music and punching dudes with giant fists and getting a bunch of unite morphs all at once so I'm just murdering fools, when it feels good it really feels good.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I've never loved a game I hated playing more than W101.

I love everything about it but I fucking hate playing it.

W101 has been frustrating me as of late. Some of the important information doesn't appear on the screen for me and other times it does. There are 2 parts in mission 006-B where you can do things you couldn't pryor. On my first playthrough it never popped up telling me how to do them. On subsequent playthroughs it did, which made life a lot easier. Also having to fight enemies and balance on top of crumbling surfaces while worrying about time is just no fun at all. I loved missions 001 thru 004, 005 was ok but 006 sucked.

I have two problems:

1. It never feels like I'm playing it correctly. I must be because I'm progressing in thee game, but it never feels like it's being played correctly and I get very frustrated at it
    2. Some of the wonder lines are too similar, such as hammer, whip, and claw and the game always decides on the wrong one

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    These kids get it

tumblr_mzh2rud5Kd1rpeq1jo1_500.jpg

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    You never have to draw the forms on the Gamepad, and you never have to use the Gamepad as a second screen when going into those other rooms. Right analog works much better for the gameplay, and you can hit a button to do Picture-in-Picture on your television for the other rooms, and even switch which viewpoint is the main shot on the television and which one is the smaller in picture view.

This is what I did.

The games combat is what you make of it. All of the different weapon forms are the combos, I mean go look at Saur's videos in the W101 thread and on youtube. Guy chains every weapon into an air combo and then adds the tombstone, the bladed glider, the drill spring, and the spike ball to the same combo just for funsies. Until you can do all of that on whim and are bored with it, there's still room for you to improvise and improve. Sure you don't have to do that, but you don't have to use 99.99% of the combos in Bayonetta either, both of these games have combat that is as boring or as interesting as your imagination can make them.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I did not know you could hit a button to do that Viskod. That would have been handy to know.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I love Wonderful 101. My favorite game of last year.

Even the bits that frustrated me on first playthrough (the tube in 002-B), I still love cause they are throwing so many ideas and invetive bits at the screen that its still awesome.

It's not as pure an action game as Bayonetta (with all the mini games, etc) but the multi-morph attacks bring something new to the table. I love tagging an enemy with the Team Attack, then sending off a small Unite Hand to attack them while I go attack someone else.

When it's all going well, and I'm decimating multiple enemies with multiple morphs in record time, I feel so great.

The only comparison to Pikmin is that when you get scattered, you need to round up your forces; but that's about where it ends.

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Platinum time depends largely on difficulty setting and some internal "par time". It doesn't mean you can't do better. You'll find new tricks and ways of beating enemies faster, and when you do you turn a knock down drag out fight into a cakewalk.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Wow, Unepic's pretty fun.

5 minutes into the game and there's already a Metal Gear reference.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page