As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Console Maintenance?

SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
After many years of console use, I've been wondering lately if there's anything I need to be doing for my systems to ensure that I can continue to use them for years.

Are there guidelines for lens cleaners, or products to clean systems and controllers?

What about ways to defragment the drives on newer systems?

Should I be keeping unused systems plugged in to keep their batteries charged? (My Dreamcast can no longer remember the date and asks me to enter it every time I start it up)

What about cooling? I mean, I don't want to be out the cost of my 360 two years down the road.

Does anyone have tips or guidelines on any of this stuff?

Samphis on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    LewieP on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think just treating them as ou would anything expensive and keeping space around them for adequate cooling should be enough to care for most consoles.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Can the 360/PS3 even defragment?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I've never done anything to my system beyond dusting.

I have original NES' that still work (somewhat, baring the 72pin connector). Original oval Saturns as well, are still working. My Dreamcast too.

Seems like the only companies with faulty hardware are Sony and MS.

Sheep on