As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bubsy is back, and in 3D!

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    At what point they stop being shit and become good

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    sonic clone shitty-awesome scale:

worst
    -Awesome Possum Kicks Dr. Machino's Butt

-Zool

-Bubsy

-Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel

-Quik the thunder rabbit

-kid chaos

-Mr. Nuts Hoppin Mad

-Meyhem in Monsterland

-Zool 2

-Jazz Jackrabbit
    best

But what about Rocky Rodent? He could attack with his hair. His hair!

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    ...my condolences

well to be fair it was a choice between that and playing a Bubsy game so all in all i think i chose wisely. :p

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular

Mr. nutz hoppin mad is pretty cool. Everything Meyhem and Monsterland forward is awesome.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    How did Zool go from sub-Bubsy to awesome?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I don't really remember the first two games being as completely horrible and soul sucking as people are making them. But to be fair, I don't honestly remember much of them at all. I know I played them, but I'm sure my response at the time was "This game is shit", and then I would go play something... not shit. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I remember reading the Nintendo Power with Bubsy 1 in it over and over and thinking that Bubsy must be the best non-Nintendo platformer ever.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    ....is this multiplayer?

IS THIS THE BUBSY MMO WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR?

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    How did Zool go from sub-Bubsy to awesome?

He got an Atari Jaguar-exclusive game that is, shockingly, the tits.

• Options
    Also, the makers of Zool are Gremlin Graphics.

You might know them today as the people who made this:

Sonic_%26_All-Stars_Racing_Transformed_box_artwork.png

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Mr. nutz hoppin mad is pretty cool. Everything Meyhem and Monsterland forward is awesome.

Jazz Jackrabbit, at least the second game on (not sure I ever touched the first), has the benefit of a totally different lineage than other animal mascot games. Gameplay wise, it's probably closer to 2D Duke Nukem than console platformers. It was kind of odd seeing Epic Megagames go from that to Unreal (and lose the Megagames part of their moniker).

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

Jazz Jackrabbit, at least the second game on (not sure I ever touched the first), has the benefit of a totally different lineage than other animal mascot games. Gameplay wise, it's probably closer to 2D Duke Nukem than console platformers. It was kind of odd seeing Epic Megagames go from that to Unreal (and lose the Megagames part of their moniker).

but aesthetically, it is straight out of Sonic CD.

• Options
    kraughmarkraughmar Kingston, ONRegistered User regular
    Marvelous... experience.

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    seabass wrote: »
    I actually enjoyed the original Bubsy. Terrible puns and mediocre platforming are a winning combination in my book.

You are not alone, bro.

You are not alone.

• Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    I remember getting the demo disc that contained the demo for Bubsy 3D on the PSone.

It still stands as having the very worst controls I have ever experienced in any game, ever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

but aesthetically, it is straight out of Sonic CD.

Yup. A number of PC games of that era were mashups of aesthetics normally seen on arcade or console games but mechanics that deviated from them. Jazz Jackrabbit was a side scrolling shooter that looked like a Sonic game (and well beat Shadow to the idea of giving a mascot a gun and actually doing it well).

Also, I actually owned a copy of Bubsy 2. I actually kind of enjoyed it but I was 12 and didn't have much experience with platformers yet. Even then I could tll it didn't have the same kind of pace other games did though (my references would have been Sonic and Megaman at the time).

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    WHAT DID I TELL YOU, TSR!?

Geth, kick @TheSonicRetard from the thread

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Rorus Raz. @TheSonicRetard banned from this thread.

• Options
    QyNShdR.png

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AMarioSavantAMarioSavant Registered User new member
    ?gnorw og ylbissop dluoc tahw

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    This is rapidly becoming my favourite thread. <3

I need to actually play Zool 2 at some point, I believe I only ever played the original at a friends place, along with Metal Mutant. Man, to be young and naive about game quality again.

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
  • Options
    Powell014Powell014 Registered User regular
    sonic clone shitty-awesome scale:

worst
    -Awesome Possum Kicks Dr. Machino's Butt

-Zool

-Bubsy

-Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel

-Quik the thunder rabbit

-kid chaos

-Mr. Nuts Hoppin Mad

-Meyhem in Monsterland

-Zool 2

-Jazz Jackrabbit
    best

Rascal and Jersey Devil deserve to be somewhere in there. Maybe Bug too.

• Options
    Excuse me, but this is the Bubsy thread.

Take your Gex Jackrabbit in Monsterland games elsewhere.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I beat both Bubsy 1 and Bubsy 2. Never played the other two.

Bubsy 1 is harder.

A lot harder.

Also I bought a Nerf Ballzooka as a child because of Bubsy 2 and also because I was a dumb child. I still have it though, and it does on occasion provide amusement.

• Options
    Luca72Luca72 Registered User regular
    That was a little bit brilliant actually. I think. Let me sleep on it a bit and get back to you

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Luca72 wrote: »
    That was a little bit brilliant actually. I think. Let me sleep on it a bit and get back to you

The Applebees is the best part.

Or possibly this:

1J3L0LV.png

Oh yeah, also, in the name of Bubsy appreciation:

tumblr_mvyydhWF781rvp5ygo1_500.jpg

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RalgRalg Registered User regular
    I actually enjoyed the original Bubsy. Terrible puns and mediocre platforming are a winning combination in my book.

Calling the platforming in bubsy mediocre is an insult to all the aero the acrobats and mr. Nutz: hopping mads of the world.

Uh

aero the acrobat was bad

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    ART!!!!

sparkster was actually a pretty decent character

• Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    I will admit that as a kid, I never realized that Bubsy (the first one) was terrible.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I just finished this.

I... I think I need an adult.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Looks like the containment around SE++ is failing again. Someone get Scotty in there to prevent a forum core breach!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Bubsy is a fairly middle-of-the-road game. The biggest flaws are that Bubsy dies in one hit (even to fall damage), and he accelerates REALLY fast because the game wanted to be like Sonic the Hedgehog. If you just take it slow and brake every three seconds it's not AS bad but silly.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    The first Bubsy game was a constant fixture on my Mega Drive when I got it. Not because I liked it (I did, not even going to front) but because my mother absolutely loved that game. We'd sit and play it together for ages, well she'd play it until she got angry then I'd play it until she was cool again and took the pad from me upon my next death.
    So yeah, maybe not the best game in the world but other than Super Hang On it's the only game my mother ever played alongside me so I have a massive soft spot for it.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Dusda wrote: »

Well.

I just spent an hour or so watching his videos.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    As a child my parents almost got me this game for Chirstmas. Then something happened and instead I got another game (which was awesome). I actually always wanted it and tried to convince them to rent it out for me a couple of times, but they didn't.

I will never know if I missed out or was saved.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Ralg wrote: »

Calling the platforming in bubsy mediocre is an insult to all the aero the acrobats and mr. Nutz: hopping mads of the world.

Uh

aero the acrobat was bad

/that's the joke

...Also, Bubsy 1 was alright. I remember renting it at least once. The floaty controls are the only really annoying part. I don't see much value in complaining about Bubsy's character design (...other than making a cat character that takes falling damage). I do think starting you with 9 lives is neat.

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Pro speed run of level 1 of Bubsy 3D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pYQGASnFWg

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I am confused as to the... excising of certain users from the thread. Geth has a thing above the reply box asking me if I would like to know more, but I cannot find a way to actually learn more.

Anyway, as far as Bubsy goes, he should get a revival. But instead of 90s Sonic me-too, he should be a LOLcat, complete with cheezburger power-ups.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!