As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokémon: Try to be surprised that Gen III remakes are coming.

19495969798100»

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    One thing I will say about EX cards is that the attack names for Mega Evolutions are pretty great (emphasis mine).

CRISIS VINE. HYDRO BOMBARD. BIG BANG HORN ATTACK.

• Options
    NeuteredNeutered Registered User regular
    Hopefully this doesn't get lost when the new thread is started, I'm looking for some help understanding the breeding mechanics as this gen is the first time I've actually tried breeding for natures/IVs/abilities.

I have 2 Eevees, a male with x/31/31/31/31/x IVs and a modest nature and a female with 31/x/31/x/31/31 IVs. The male is holding an everstone and the female has the destiny knot.

From this set up I should be able to breed a 31/x/31/31/31/31 modest Eever, correct? How many eggs should I be looking at to get the 5 IV Eevee?

3DS Friend Code: 4682-9858-8261
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    It could take a while. You could just as easily end up with x/x/31/31/x/x if you get really unlucky IV inheritance. I've had two 5-Perfect-IV parents and still taken a good 20 batches before I got the one I want. But yes, you should eventually be able to get the spread you want with that combination. Chances are you'll get a 5-Perfect-IV male at some point which will improve your odds a bit as well.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Neutered wrote: »
    Hopefully this doesn't get lost when the new thread is started, I'm looking for some help understanding the breeding mechanics as this gen is the first time I've actually tried breeding for natures/IVs/abilities.

I have 2 Eevees, a male with x/31/31/31/31/x IVs and a modest nature and a female with 31/x/31/x/31/31 IVs. The male is holding an everstone and the female has the destiny knot.

From this set up I should be able to breed a 31/x/31/31/31/31 modest Eever, correct? How many eggs should I be looking at to get the 5 IV Eevee?

Pokemath time!

Destiny Knot means that five of the offspring's six stats will be inhereted from one of its parents at random. In order to get a 31/x/31/31/31/31 offspring, the uninherited stat needs to be attack (for simplicity, I will be ignoring the 1/32 chance that an uninherited stat will be generated as 31 by chance). So, if you were breeding two perfect 31/x/31/31/31/31s, you would have a 1/6 chance of getting the IVs you want on the child (if the uninherited stat is attack and both parents have 31 HP, HP can't not be 31, so the uninherited stat is the only random factor).

Of course, your parents aren't flawless. Of the 1/6 offspring who inherited the correct five stats, only half of them (1/12) will inherit dad's 31 special attack instead of mom's bum stat. Of those, only half (1/24) will successfully get mom's HP gene, and only half of THOSE will also get mom's speed gene (1/48).

Basically, ignoring gender and ability, your odds of getting a perfect egg is 1/6, halved for each stat that EACH parent is missing (ignoring the stat you don't intend to inherit anyway). Assuming every desired stat is present on at least one parent (if they were both missing speed, you would be screwed).

The good news is that you'll probably get a 31/x/31/31/31/x or x/x/31/31/31/31 male at some point, and substituting that for your current breeding male will double your odds of success going forward.

Indidentally, if the female has a hidden ability that you want inherited, you have a 60% chance of getting it. If the female has a specific non-hidden ability, it has an 80% chance of being inherited (technically, it will be inherited 60% of the time, and randomly generated as the same ability half of the rest of the time). Although the latter case is irrelevant for Eevees, since all Eeveelutions have only one non-hidden ability anyway.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    See I didn't bother with actual math because from a practical standpoint, probability doesn't mean much in Pokemon. I've had perfect eggs from 3/4-IV parents and I've had Hi-Jump Kick miss 3 times in a row.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Hey, @OmnipotentBagel‌, I'm gonna be online for a few hours. You around to make that trade?

I've got you in my friends list, sorry about not being around to do this for a little while.

• Options
    Dys wrote: »
    Hey, @OmnipotentBagel‌, I'm gonna be online for a few hours. You around to make that trade?

I've got you in my friends list, sorry about not being around to do this for a little while.

No worries, figured you were busy. Just got off work and I've got a little time.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Thanks, man!

I'm not sure if you already have a Galvantula or wanted one, but the joltik I sent you is a modest/5 IV one.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-wTDPviFq8

For those that didn't see this trailer posted a while ago. I love those Gym Leader cutscenes.

• Options
    Dys wrote: »
    Thanks, man!

I'm not sure if you already have a Galvantula or wanted one, but the joltik I sent you is a modest/5 IV one.

I have one from Gen V but I was hesitant to trade him up. Now I don't have to! Happy breeding.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    So hey, just got something off the GTS that's in a premier ball and says it came from the day care couple and was hatched on their route...in 2011.

It has the ability I want and everything, but am I correct in thinking that it's from a hack or whatever?

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Could just be from someone messing with/not caring about their DS time settings. The different types of pokeballs can be passed down via breeding now (although presumedly not whatever the event mon balls are called?).

Also, I hatched a shiny Klefki, it's pretty neat. Hasn't got much in the way of IVs but hey, the nature is correct at least so whatever.

• Options
    A fair point.

Congrats on the Klefki!

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-wTDPviFq8

For those that didn't see this trailer posted a while ago. I love those Gym Leader cutscenes.

I am glad flannery is still a huge goofball

Her pre-battle speech was always funny to me as a child

• Options
    Could just be from someone messing with/not caring about their DS time settings. The different types of pokeballs can be passed down via breeding now (although presumedly not whatever the event mon balls are called?).

Also, I hatched a shiny Klefki, it's pretty neat. Hasn't got much in the way of IVs but hey, the nature is correct at least so whatever.

I have way more admiration for a shiny Pokemon with crap stats because whenever you run across a competitive one you can figure it was probably hacked or rng'd. Even if it was legit Masuda-hatched, a shiny you basically farmed is nowhere near as special as one you just stumbled upon.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular

I have way more admiration for a shiny Pokemon with crap stats because whenever you run across a competitive one you can figure it was probably hacked or rng'd. Even if it was legit Masuda-hatched, a shiny you basically farmed is nowhere near as special as one you just stumbled upon.

I disagree. I feel like a shiny you worked hard for is more special than you you got basically by accident.

I totally understand your perspective, just offering mine :)

Pokémon X | 3DS Friend Code: 0490-4897-7688
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Machoke, Pancham, Riolu | In game name: Jessica
    Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Oh yeah, I get it. I guess I just love situations that change my perspective on the game. Like, I never really like Exeggutor until I found a shiny Exeggcute in Gold. Seeing someone with a Pokemon they love that's only special because of a unique aesthetic trait is, to me, the very spirit of the game. Like fate itself chose the trainer for that Pokemon. But yeah, I also gotta respect someone who was so dedicated to a goal that they were willing to brute force the laws of probability.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    And the GBC Trading Card Game is finished. I'm annoyed that I had to switch from my grass deck because Ronald uses fire, but eh.

Also those legendary cards really are pretty bad, save for their abilities.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    They never did announce a US release of that, did they?

I'm not really surprised, just disappointed.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Well we don't have a date for Shovel Knight still so small victories.

It was a fun, nostalgic trip, in spite the handful of decks that used annoying stall strategies.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    They better fucking release it in the US or I will be so cross.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    speaking of being so cross

diancie

did that thing get distributed and I miss it?

• Options
    Seriously wrote: »
    speaking of being so cross

diancie

did that thing get distributed and I miss it?

No, not yet.

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I was hoping they'd release it here when they did in japan

but nooooope

• Options
    It'll probably be whenever the Diancie movie gets a release here.

Had a minor freak out when Pokemon Bank spat out an error message and a 'Please wait a while before retrying' while moving a ton of Pokemon, including my beloved Magmortar, but it's all good now.

He looks so great in 3D.

This discussion has been closed.