As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bravely Default] Beverly Hills 90210 - The Game

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I'd have to do some testing, but I think a Vampire/Swordmaster using Free Lunch and the -ja spells might be one of the best ways to target elemental weaknesses, even before you get into passive abilities. They have good stats, and S rank in 3 types of weapons that cover all the special moves (rod, staff, and knife). And they also get a fourth elemental spell, Aeroja, that you normally can't cover with just black magic!

Really versatile.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Vampire also has crazy debuff skills Really between its elemental coverage and that its a pretty useful class.

Also since most ofvthe genome skills confer status or are aoe it makes it a good crowd control class

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    It needs a dang m. def debuff. At least, I didn't see one. But specials can help with that.

Heck you could dual wield rod and staff...!

I continue to love the Squeaky Wheel lockdown. It's just incredible.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So, Chapter 5 boss
    So, Einheria, that's your justification, huh

Turning your eyes away from atrocity because it suits your ideals

The bodies you walk over don't matter so long as it's not your call, huh

Just following orders like a good little soldier?

You are a corpse breathing

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    It needs a dang m. def debuff. At least, I didn't see one. But specials can help with that.

Absorb Stats.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I seem to be missing some side quests in chapter 6

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I was. I don't think they're worth using.

I literally just unlocked the class last night, but I already see merit in at least some of them. Hellfire does more damage than Crescent Moon and doesn't use extra BP, and all the similar moves hit elemental weaknesses without needing to spend a turn on Sword Magic. That sort of thing would have been pretty goddamn useful during my hellish ascent to the top of the Vampire Mansion, when getting enough damage to kill packs of Hellhounds in one burst without getting countered to death was paramount. It's true that I haven't seen much in the way of boss-killing moves, though.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    cadmiacadmia Registered User regular
    I am trying to avoid spoilers while looking to see if anyone is interested in becoming 3DS friends for this and I'm afraid I'm not being very successful ;D Please message me if you're interested!

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    So I am fighting a Nemesis that is like some kind of horrible Dia de los Meurtos skeleton bird bride

It just made Ringabel fall head over heels in love with Edea

What does that status even mean

What is this thing

I'm scared

As far as I can tell that status makes the in love character mimic the one they are in love with

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Hm they can learn Hellfire you say

That is a powerful move that I hate

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Just got the Summoner class (what the fuck) but are there any other summons I can get immediately?

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Polaritie wrote: »

Absorb Stats.

Oh yeah? I assumed that meant steal whatever benefit they're enjoying, and with no buff on them you'd get nothing, and if you're stupid you could absorb a -25% and bring them back up to 100%. If it literally drains a percentage from their stats, that's awesome.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Just got the Summoner class (what the fuck) but are there any other summons I can get immediately?
    They take a bit of walking/sailing, but there are two that I know of.
    Remember the owl guy you passed in the cave to meet the Sage? Talk to him to get the water summon.
    The owl guy in the Wind Crystal temple will give you the air summon.

Be prepared though, you have to have at least one party member survive the attack to get the summon. Equip HP+ abilities, and if you have the correct elemental defense relic, slap it on the highest HP user. Also, elemental resistance abilities are helpful.
    The summons hit hard.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    I have refined my team and found a use for phantom weapon

dark knight/salve maker: dark nebula, resurrect, dark nebula, life or death bp recovery etc.
    3x monk: summon substitute, see you in hell, phantom weapon
    with secondaries to cast adaptation, fairy boost, etc on tiz

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Just uploaded a friend attack that did a quarter of a million damage

It is Lightning element, and kills Aquatic enemies

I should really label this stuff, but if you need it, and you want a water guy to die, it's there for you

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

Absorb Stats.

Oh yeah? I assumed that meant steal whatever benefit they're enjoying, and with no buff on them you'd get nothing, and if you're stupid you could absorb a -25% and bring them back up to 100%. If it literally drains a percentage from their stats, that's awesome.
    I haven't used it much, but I think it's just a flat 25% drain.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So when you use Aspir Blade/have Auto Aspir Blade equipped, you don't dealt HP damage anymore, right?

• Options
    heenato wrote: »

Absorb Stats.

I haven't used it much, but I think it's just a flat 25% drain.

Yep. -25% to them, +25% to you.

• Options
    Does that just choose a stat at random?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    you choose the stat

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    you choose the stat

Selecting it opens a submenu the way Genome does.

• Options
    So when you use Aspir Blade/have Auto Aspir Blade equipped, you don't dealt HP damage anymore, right?
    correct

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RIngabel
    Has some pretty good thoughts about how to handle Dark Knight without needing to save up BP

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    TimFiji wrote: »
    Will switching jobs around hurt my toons? I'm worried my switching will hurt their stats? I think it's mainly because I'm confused by how the stats work.

Your jobs can't permanently influence your stats, but they modify them based on job level. The same character at the same level will have worse stats with a low level job than a high level job.

That said, don't be afraid to switch jobs often, as experimenting with different jobs and combos and leveling up for new support abilities is what this game is all about, and the jobs will level up relatively quickly at low job levels.

Just don't switch jobs immediately before a boss fight without grinding a little bit.

Is this really true? I haven't checked. It doesn't seem true. It's making me wonder how I should level jobs early in the game.

Also do Staff or Rod Lore boost your magic at all?

Just beat the Wind Crystal boss, and I'm basically running Monk/Thief/Black/White.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Quick question, are genome abilities shared? Can I switch Anges to a vampire / conjurer without relearning all of them?

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Weapon proficiency seems to mostly just affect physical attack. As far as I can tell, they don't affect magic power unless...
    you have the final sword magic passive ability equipped.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular

Seems that way to me.

Follow-up question: Why does using Aspir Blade on undead enemies drain my mana?

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    Road Block wrote: »
    Quick question, are genome abilities shared? Can I switch Anges to a vampire / conjurer without relearning all of them?

Yes

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    I named my 3rd spear attack Nibelung Valesti and gave it Light/50%/Undead/Death. I should actually send it off with a female valkyrie too. But right now Thief Tiz is the one using the move.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Haha at 99 with mastered vampire your mp is 666.

Which admittedly is awful but still a fun little nod

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Will switching jobs around hurt my toons? I'm worried my switching will hurt their stats? I think it's mainly because I'm confused by how the stats work.

Your jobs can't permanently influence your stats, but they modify them based on job level. The same character at the same level will have worse stats with a low level job than a high level job.

That said, don't be afraid to switch jobs often, as experimenting with different jobs and combos and leveling up for new support abilities is what this game is all about, and the jobs will level up relatively quickly at low job levels.

Just don't switch jobs immediately before a boss fight without grinding a little bit.

Is this really true? I haven't checked. It doesn't seem true. It's making me wonder how I should level jobs early in the game.

Just beat the Wind Crystal boss, and I'm basically running Monk/Thief/Black/White.

I've definitely noticed that characters in a fresh lv1 job suck at it more than a veteran would. It quickly balanced out with just a few levels though.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    captaink wrote: »

The JP required to level a job spikes after level 9 so I find that is a good place to swap jobs in most cases, at least until you can start earning a lot more JP.

Jobs and Stats and Stuff
    Jobs do not have any impact on base stat growth. From my observations base stats grow at a fixed rate and end up fairly even.
    By max character level there is less than 5 points difference across the board for all your base stats.

Jobs just apply a temporary modifier to your stats so long as that job is equipped.
    This is easy to test, starting as a Freelancer without gear(because it is the most balanced statwise of the jobs)
    now look at the other jobs and check the Stat Changes screen.

Monk for example will boost your HP, Str, Vit and Agi while dropping your Int, Mnd and MP
    How much those stats change depends on the level of the job. level 1 in a job might modify the stat by only a few points while level 14 could change things by 20 points or more.
    Swapping to another job then uses that jobs stat modifiers instead.
    You do not have to worry about stat growth or plan out jobs to get the stats you want in the long run.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Looks like I'm about to get Spell Fencer and Time mage though. Those might go on Ringabel and Agnes

• Options
    Haha at 99 with mastered vampire your mp is 666.

Which admittedly is awful but still a fun little nod

All 4 characters have slightly different base stats, so this probably isn't true for all of them. Tiz is average, Agnes has caster stats, Ringabel has speed stats, and Edea has physical attack/tank stats. But we're talking +/- 3 either way.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    So what's the etiquette for adding people from the friend list in the OP?

Just pillage away?

• Options
    Alright, this might be a bit premature for a lot of people yet, but I killed one of the tougher Nemeses and got an Unearthly Bun from it, and did some statistical analysis with it. This is for the people who are willing to save and reload a lot in order to get the best stat increases.

In case you don't know, Nemeses drop buns that increase individual stats from 1 to 3 points, or in the case of HP 100/200/300, or MP 50/100/150. The Unearthly Bun is the best one, which increases all of your stats at once. However, getting those higher increases of 2 or 3 points is rare, and it's especially tough to get a good result when it's raising all stats simultaneously.

I used an Unearthly Bun, reloaded, and did it again 91 times. I was going for 100 but my 91st gave me the best boosts I'd ever seen so I stuck with it. Some other details just for full disclosure:
    I did this at the start of chapter 6, with all characters at level 99, all jobs maxed except for one job which I don't have yet. The bun dropped from lvl 99 Ba'al i; Turtle Dove, and every time I used it on Edea while standing just outside of Florem.

Tallying up all the data, it seems like there's an 85% chance that any given stat will get the base increase of 1, a 10% chance that a stat will be 2, and a 5% chance that a stat will be 3. (Assume 2 and 3 for HP and MP mean their respective increases.) I haven't tried using any other individual buns yet, but it seems logical to guess that all of them would use this chance, so you'll be reloading and using any given bun 20 times before you get those 3s.

About 30% of all Unearthly Bun uses give the worst result, all 1s, 100 HP/50 MP/1 STR/1 VIT/1 INT/1 MND/1 AGI/1 DEX. Your chances are pretty good that you'll get some benefit above that, but if you want a lot of good increases you'll have to reload quite a bit...

I added up the stat increases for each use of the bun, so a result that's all 1s would be 8, a result that's all 1s and one 2 would be 9, a result that's all 1s and one 3 would be 10, a result that's all 1s and two 2s would also be 10, etc. Here are the results I got from 91 uses:

8: 30.77%
    9: 27.47%
    10: 23.08%
    11: 12.09%
    12: 2.20%
    13: 2.20%
    14: 0.00%
    15: 1.10%
    16: 1.10%

So good luck getting even two 3s, with that glorious 2% chance!

My best result at the bottom there, the one I kept, was 200 HP/150 MP/3 STR/1 VIT/1 INT/3 MND/1 AGI/2 DEX.

And just my luck...when I started recording this data and didn't know any better as to what my chances were, I got an AWESOME result on my third try and foolishly gave it up, later realizing my mistake. Two 3s and three 2s. But at least I managed to one up it eventually!

• Options
    So what's the etiquette for adding people from the friend list in the OP?

Just pillage away?
    Pillage away, then @ everyone you add so they know to add you back.... include your friendcode too

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    so magic thrist+hellfire on someone fast in florem gardens(before instakill anyway) is about the fastest I'd imagine you can grind. but enemies will randomly be faster than me and ruin my unscathed aces and it's annoying

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Jars wrote: »
    so magic thrist+hellfire on someone fast in florem gardens(before instakill anyway) is about the fastest I'd imagine you can grind. but enemies will randomly be faster than me and ruin my unscathed aces and it's annoying

The last job has the 4-point Obliterate passive, which triggers at the start of the battle and instakills anything 20+ levels below you. THAT's the fastest.

Otherwise, Energy Burst or the like.

Critical HP+Red Mage's passive for 0 MP costs would go quicker too.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    So I'm worried I'm overgrinding, I'm level 15 and doing some sidequest in Chapter 1 revolving around the oasis and water and whatnot.

More worringly is I've unlocked some crazy expensive stuff from the town rebuilding. I can't afford a Mutsu-no-Kami or a Night Emperor, but if I keep grinding I suspect they'll outpace any gear I can get for a long, long time. I do have ~8000 pg now though, so I could buy some of these shields or accessories that I've unlocked...

Random aside: pg as the currency is a pretty sly Japanese pun.
    The Kanji for yen is 円, which is p and g next to each other.

KiTA on
This discussion has been closed.